Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2016, 09:23   #76
BHPian

Re: Off-roading with the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanaj View Post
Will feel good if they keep us in the loop with the updates (atleast like price change, accessories list, change in delivery status, news about v-cross etc.
The price has been increased to 12.99 ex showroom (Chandigarh) from 12.39L in the introductory period.
mani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2016, 12:58   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedFaith View Post
I don't remember the exact booking date but it was around the same time as you. I was also told to expect delivery in the 1st week of October.
Just pulled up the invoice - Turns out I had booked almost a month before I thought. My booking date is 20th May and the number next to my name is (832 - 002)

Not sure what that means but today I called Trident for a status update and was informed that I am number 51 in the que. I am not sure if this is a Pan-India que or a Trident que, but I would assume this is my position Pan India.

I had planned on travelling for 2 hours to surprise the dealer but instead I am the one who got the surprise... the concerned person told me he is in Mysore (and saved me from a pointless drive in heavy traffic)

He did inform me that 12 vehicles from the first lot have been handed over to customers already and that the second lot is due towards the end of the month. There will apparently be three black vehicles in this lot but none of them are mine. I can get one of them in case of cancellations or if someone is not in a position to take delivery only.

I am supposedly scheduled to get mine in the third lot which is tentatively expected to reach towards the end of August - September 1st week.

Also, the accessory list is finally available. As he is travelling he is not in a position to send it across right now but he promised to email me tomorrow morning as soon as he gets into office.
Old 22nd July 2016, 08:49   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
I'll be in touch with the owner to get his perspective on the issue as well. Should this be the root cause of the problem,I believe this underlines the necessity of ensuring aftermarket fitments are carried out by knowledgeable professionals only & not just by any seller who offers a competitive price on a fitment.
I'm glad to report that Isuzu along with their super efficient dealer in Chandigarh - Krishna Motors have solved the problem and handed the vehicle back to the customer.

The problem of non starting was caused by an aftermarket fitment of the ICE by a seller who's technicians were either unskilled or unaware of the engine set up of the Dmax Vcross. A couple of couplers were cut inadvertently during the ICE installation which caused ingress of water (the next day, in heavy rain) into the ECU and the fuel pressure sensor. Resultantly,the latter was emitting high voltage thus inhibiting the ECU from starting the engine.

The owner of the vehicle was jubilant and extremely happy with the level of service extended at the local level by Krishna Motors and at the company level by Isuzu Motors. Both worked in tandem. Air cleaning the ECU as soon as the vehicle was brought in prevented damage to the ECU. Isuzu flew in its technicians from Chennai to oversee the repair/replacement of components to the owner's satisfaction. In fact yesterday, the technical head of Isuzu India was present the whole day,in person, at Krishna Motors, overseeing the repair under his direct supervision.

The vehicle was handed back to the owner last evening in a pristine condition, electronically, mechanically and visually! It's commendable to mention that Isuzu/Krishna have not charged the owner a single penny for their laudable effort (not even for the car wash!). All component costs, labour charges etc were waived off (unlike some manufacturers who throw technicalities at oneself if one voids the warranty with careless aftermarket installations- I'm a lawyer, I know!).I believe Isuzu has stood behind its consumer like the proverbial rock.

I admit I was thrown off a bit when I learnt of this problem - having booked and awaiting delivery of my Dmax Vcross. Hence, I raised the concern here on TBHP. However, being in Chandigarh, following the problem closely, seeing dealership-manufacturer response to it & finally using an extensive chat with the owner of the vehicle - I couldn't be happier I've made the correct choice by opting to buy this beautifully tough vehicle. My booking stands - my money is where my mouth is. Eagerly looking forward to getting behind the wheel of my Vcross at the end of next month.
mani is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:52   #79
BHPian

Quote:
I'm glad to report that Isuzu along with their super efficient dealer in Chandigarh - Krishna Motors have solved the problem and handed the vehicle back to the customer.
Glad to hear this. This is indeed a great support from Krishna Motors and Isuzu India, kudos to the team.
Old 22nd July 2016, 11:06   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's commendable to mention that Isuzu/Krishna have not charged the owner a single penny for their laudable effort (not even for the car wash!). All component costs, labour charges etc were waived off (unlike some manufacturers who throw technicalities at oneself if one voids the warranty with careless aftermarket installations- I'm a lawyer, I know!).I believe Isuzu has stood behind its consumer like the proverbial rock.
That is indeed a good gesture by Isuzu. But, doesn't cutting a wire void the warranty for a Isuzu? I am happy for the owner, at least he wasn't left to fend for himself. Ideally, the installer should foot this bill instead. Why should a company be held responsible if you go and tamper the wiring, damaging the vehicle in the process. But I guess the internet doesn't have much affect on a neighborhood installer compared to a MNC.

Isuzu must have acted only because of the post here. Being a new vehicle, they obviously don't want any bad press.
Old 22nd July 2016, 12:41   #81
Senior - BHPian

Really glad to hear about the support from Isuzu. Although they had a very valid reason to discard the warranty and put the ball on to the buyer's court, it is incredible to see them taking such an initiative. Had it been any other similar manufacturers here, I am sure they would 've simply put the blame on to the buyer and even would 've suggested an ECU replacement for some additional cash!
Old 22nd July 2016, 14:06   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
That is indeed a good gesture by Isuzu. But, doesn't cutting a wire void the warranty for a Isuzu? I am happy for the owner, at least he wasn't left to fend for himself. Ideally, the installer should foot this bill instead. Why should a company be held responsible if you go and tamper the wiring, damaging the vehicle in the process. But I guess the internet doesn't have much affect on a neighborhood installer compared to a MNC.

Isuzu must have acted only because of the post here. Being a new vehicle, they obviously don't want any bad press.
Legally, Isuzu were on firm ground had they gone ahead and billed the owner for damage to the vehicle components arising from an aftermarket electrical installation. All auto companies have explicit conditions in the terms of warranty especially where cables are cut or protective seals tampered with, either intentionally or out of ignorance. So while Isuzu would be fine if I went and installed ARB air lockers or tires wider tread tires on the same rim size (confirmed this from an Isuzu functionary) but on the other hand, obviously the warranty would be voided if I cut couplers which cause ingress of water into critical components.

Agreed, no robustly good brand wants their auto to be battered but the fact that Isuzu stood by an customer when they could have easily billed and in all likelihood withstood a legal challenge to it, to my mind, goes onto demonstrate Isuzu's commitment to it's consumers.

That said, I believe this should be a lesson to all owners/potential owners of the critical need to ensure aftermarket electricals are installed either by the respective dealerships or by professionals who are completely clued into the job at hand.

Just my 0.02¢
mani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 15:28   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Legally, Isuzu were on firm ground had they gone ahead and billed the owner for damage to the vehicle components arising from an aftermarket electrical installation. All auto companies have explicit conditions in the terms of warranty especially where cables are cut or protective seals tampered with, either intentionally or out of ignorance. So while Isuzu would be fine if I went and installed ARB air lockers or tires wider tread tires on the same rim size (confirmed this from an Isuzu functionary) but on the other hand, obviously the warranty would be voided if I cut couplers which cause ingress of water into critical components.
Keeping precisely this point in mind I would say Kudos to both Isuzu as well as Krishna motors. What a fine example of customer centric work ethics.

Hope other companies/dealers take note of how customers should be dealt with.
Old 27th July 2016, 12:43   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I am in Canada for a while and will return by the end of this month. They got my black one but delivered to someone else on my consent & will have another one for me by the time I return back. AVIC 8200 is on back order and should be with me by the end of next week .

Did you got a chance to visit them and see the size of speakers for front & the rear ?

It will be due to a combination of factors - Rear springs on Dmax as against coils on Fortuner, overall space in Fortuner especially space behind the rear seat.
I will not recommend this truck to anyone who wants to have 4/5 Adults traveling most of the time. This can be a second or third vehicle not primarily one for the family with parents.
Hi. I see you ordered the car in black. I am sure it looks lovely and would probably go for the same too if I do decide to go ahead with this.

Does it still come with beige interiors though? Could be just my opinion, but as ugly as I think beige is for car interiors generally, in a black car, it is completely blasphemous.

And this is the color they offer as standard in most premium cars. Could it be because black interiors may be perceived (perhaps rightly so) as getting more hot in parked car?

Anyway, is it a good idea to change the interiors to one's choice of colors in a brand new car? Is it even possible? I mean the seat covers must be fairly easy to replace but is there an option for the dash and the door panels?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by Getafix : 27th July 2016 at 12:45.
Old 27th July 2016, 13:10   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does it still come with beige interiors though?
Unfortunately, Yes this is the only option. Besides support on seats is very basic and these looks to be manufactured in India unlike D-Max which is of Thailand origin and far better.

Quote:
I mean the seat covers must be fairly easy to replace but is there an option for the dash and the door panels?
Seats will have to be padded in my opinion. I am looking for someone in Delhi or Chandigarh. Dash is a mixture of Black & Beige so it looks ok.

Apart from interiors, I will suggest you take longish test drive of this and go-ahead only if it meets all of your requirements. Some other stuff that you can buy in this budget can be - 4x4 scorpio or Thar.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 19:48   #86

Quote:
Unfortunately, Yes this is the only option. Besides support on seats is very basic and these looks to be manufactured in India unlike D-Max which is of Thailand origin and far better.

Seats will have to be padded in my opinion. I am looking for someone in Delhi or Chandigarh. Dash is a mixture of Black & Beige so it looks ok.

Apart from interiors, I will suggest you take longish test drive of this and go-ahead only if it meets all of your requirements. Some other stuff that you can buy in this budget can be - 4x4 scorpio or Thar.
Still Have the first generation Scorpio that I bought in 2003. It is used to run work related errands these days, although I personally haven't driven it in more than 7-8 years now.

As for the Thar, I just don't see any use for it for myself. Too uncomfortable for both my longish commute to work (a couple of hundred kilometers everyday), as well as any road trips up in the mountains. I do like it though, and if I was of college going age, probably would have picked it over any other car on the road today.

The latest itch to buy another car is pure indulgence really with all sorts needs (strictly vehicular) already taken care of. HA!!!

I am swinging right from the newly launched GLC to this Isuzu pickup. Other considerations are an AT 4X4 Fortuner, and the XC60. With my heart beating for the last one really. Nothing wrong with GLC either, just too damn expensive for what it is at 65L or something, on road.
Old 28th July 2016, 20:43   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am swinging right from the newly launched GLC to this Isuzu pickup. Other considerations are an AT 4X4 Fortuner, and the XC60. With my heart beating for the last one really. Nothing wrong with GLC either, just too damn expensive for what it is at 65L or something, on road.
Ok, I presently have new Endeavour and have owned Fortuner Manual 4x4 in past. I won't recommend you Fortuner in the current generation. Recently I drove GLC in Canada and was impressed overall. But it is a smaller car and Petrol mileage can be an issue besides re-sales.

I will suggest you to take a longish test drive of the new endeavour, in my opinion, this should meet your requirements and itch. But if you want to do something different like I am doing for past few days ( getting accessories - amplifiers, stereo,bass tubes etc ..) then you can surely buy an Isuzu and dress it up. I just came back after spending couple of hours fine tuning my audio setup which now sounds sweeter than my BMW's

Some positives of Isuzu from my drive of around 700 Km

Exceptionally great road handling and almost nil rollover at highway speeds.
Decent Fuel mileage - around 12 till 120 Km
Highly customizable , I have carried so many additions already in 5 days of ownership
Macho image - one feels bit younger with all the glances

Some not so good things

Low ride on broken roads probably due to rear leaf springs but I might be culprit partially as you tend to go fast over such rough stuff as there's nothing much to worry.
Hard Steering - have being using my hands only on the laptop for a while and not doing anything physical, this can get tricky. But I am enjoying,perhaps will add some softer leather on steering.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th July 2016 at 20:52.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 11:55   #88

Quote:
Ok, I presently have new Endeavour and have owned Fortuner Manual 4x4 in past. I won't recommend you Fortuner in the current generation. Recently I drove GLC in Canada and was impressed overall. But it is a smaller car and Petrol mileage can be an issue besides re-sales.

I will suggest you to take a longish test drive of the new endeavour, in my opinion, this should meet your requirements and itch. But if you want to do something different like I am doing for past few days ( getting accessories - amplifiers, stereo,bass tubes etc ..) then you can surely buy an Isuzu and dress it up. I just came back after spending couple of hours fine tuning my audio setup which now sounds sweeter than my BMW's

Some positives of Isuzu from my drive of around 700 Km

Exceptionally great road handling and almost nil rollover at highway speeds.
Decent Fuel mileage - around 12 till 120 Km
Highly customizable , I have carried so many additions already in 5 days of ownership
Macho image - one feels bit younger with all the glances

Some not so good things

Low ride on broken roads probably due to rear leaf springs but I might be culprit partially as you tend to go fast over such rough stuff as there's nothing much to worry.
Hard Steering - have being using my hands only on the laptop for a while and not doing anything physical, this can get tricky. But I am enjoying,perhaps will add some softer leather on steering.
Thanks for the pros and cons after the first five days. Congratulations and wishing you safe and happy driving.

As for the Endeavor, I haven't checked personally but someone told me that the new one (the top model) costs 35L or near about. Way I think is, might as well put in another 15 and buy the XC60.

Isuzu on the other hand seems a reasonably priced option for a lifestyle 4x4 vehicle. I am not sure of using it too much for my commute but those increasingly sporadic trips up the mountains may get more interesting with this car.

You think the hard steering will get any better after a bit? Or perhaps it just might need some getting used. Although most of my cars have been bought without a test drive, this one I do intend to take around at least a few kilometers before I finalize. Mainly because I have never driven a pickup before at all!!

I do see that it will need some additions though. However therein lies the biggest concern. Having seen way too many loose screws rolling around in my earlier cars after the most basic visits to the mechanics and even authorised service centers, I am abhorrently allergic to getting any outside work done.

In any case, do let me know what work you have already gotten done on your car, and what all you plan to do. Also, if you don’t mind, please post a couple of pictures.
Old 29th July 2016, 12:08   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As for the Endeavor, I haven't checked personally but someone told me that the new one (the top model) costs 35L or near about. Way I think is, might as well put in another 15 and buy the XC60.
apart from the brand that too debatable, I don't see XC60 better than Endeavour,don't forgot Volvo used to be Ford company and may still be using their engines ! You can settle for Trend which should be around 31 or so on-road. Apart from the panoramic roof, you won't miss anything rather I find head space in the one without roof better.

Quote:
do let me know what work you have already gotten done on your car, and what all you plan to do
yes, I will updated, so-far upgraded Audio setup and changed Lights to LED lamps for higher beam and HDI for low, also changed parking and interior lights to white Osram LED. I am in touch with ARB as well Ironman to get front Bumper changed and even might change suspension for height and overall comfort which should probably get better.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 12:14   #90
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getafix View Post
A very simple suggestion, the Endeavour 3.2 4x4 and the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross are very very capable cars in their respective segments as far as mile-munching and mud-plugging is concerned.

If you do not intend to take your vehicle for such mild off-roading expeditions like driving through deep ruts, fording a stream, conquering the higher reaches of the Himalayas and the likes, then I feel the XC60 will be a better choice amongst the cars you have shortlisted.

But if you feel that at times you would like to explore the wild countryside, then for the price of a XC60 you may get a fully-loaded Endy 3.2 4x4 and a kitted Isuzu D-Max V-Cross, both of which can be immense fun to drive for the purpose they are made for.

At the end of the day, it entirely depends on your needs. Many of us shortlist a vehicle first and then decide what all we can do with that vehicle. But actually its your needs that should be the deciding factor for the vehicle you purchase. Most importantly, it is the versatility and the pleasurable dynamics that we seek in a vehicle. The car must be enjoyable to drive for the purpose you intend to buy it. After all, that's why we love cars right?

All the best for your decision making.

Last edited by //M : 29th July 2016 at 12:16.
//M is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed