Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 15:57   #61
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Re: Muthodi Forest Drive: The post-OTR meet that became part-OTR meet

Been wanting to visit this place for sometime now. Do you have any contact info on the booking office in Bangalore? DCF stands for deputy conservator of forests? Think I'll visit this place in August, slush gallore
Old 13th May 2011, 16:08   #62
Team-BHP Support

I didn't do the booking, so I am not sure where it was done. However, the DCF office didn't inform the camp about the booking. So I am not sure how much that will help.

You could however check Texwoods or stay in CKM which is barely 1.5hours away.
Old 16th May 2011, 17:09   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Been wanting to visit this place for sometime now. Do you have any contact info on the booking office in Bangalore? DCF stands for deputy conservator of forests? Think I'll visit this place in August, slush gallore
DCF does stand for Deputy Conservator of Forests. Isn't the same terminology used in other parts of India?

You will need to contact the DCF in Chikmagalur under whom Muthodi range falls.

Deputy Conservator of Forests, Bhadra Wildlife Division, Chikmagalur
Tel.no - (08262) 234904
Fax - (08262) 230032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
e) What is this ShegiKhan guest house (hope i am pronouncing it correctly)? Is there accomodation there?
f) Were you able to see any animals? Since Muthodi is other end of Bhadra Tiger reserve, did you sight any?
It is pronounced as see-gay-khan.

You can probably sight elephants, gaur and barking deer apart from the regular Chital. Apparently, there is a very high population of barking deer here. Recently, there was news that a dead tiger was found in a nearby estate. So, there should be tigers, but again, sighting is a matter of luck (for any kind of wildlife and not only the tiger).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I didn't do the booking, so I am not sure where it was done. However, the DCF office didn't inform the camp about the booking. So I am not sure how much that will help.
It would be better to get your bookings done from Chikmagalur rather than Bangalore because of the gaps in communication. This way, you can eliminate one level form the chain. The booking done at Aranya Bhavan in Bangalore will be forwarded to the DCF office in Chikmagalur who in turn informs the Range Forest Officer in Muthodi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselone View Post
Hi
....We were in our 4X2 safari 2.2 Safari. Since we desparately wanted to venture inside the forest and the official jeeps were not available we decided to venture out on our own. A short distance from the camp we saw a very promising forest track on the left . Decided to explore the trail and turned in, later we realised that this was the trail leading to the Shingekhan guest house. Was a great drive and the car had no issues reaching there, also encountered fresh elephant dung on the trail. The guest house was locked but the views from the parking area are to die for. Here are some photos...
How is the road condition from the main road to Seegekhan guest house? Is it possible for a car (swift) or an MUV like the Qualis/Tavera to make the journey on that road?

EDIT: I just read Samurai's post. Looks like a Qualis can manage if driven carefully.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 16th May 2011 at 17:22. Reason: added quote
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 17:13   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
IIRC, Samurai has said that only 4x4 vehicles can make the journey upto Seegekhan (that was only in monsoon I guess). But seeing your 2wd safari doing it, I'm getting some hope.
Please see the last line of the following post. I have specifically said 4x4 is not required.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...tml#post946953 (Muthodi Forest Drive: The post-OTR meet that became part-OTR meet)
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 17:08   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Please see the last line of the following post. I have specifically said 4x4 is not required.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...tml#post946953 (Muthodi Forest Drive: The post-OTR meet that became part-OTR meet)

Any MUV with good GC can do this road to the guest house from the main road, but cars will find it extremely difficult if not imposssible
Old 18th September 2012, 19:47   #66
BHPian

Quote:

After lunch we again spend hours discussing where to go. Some don’t want enter the forest only to stop at the bridge. We finally decide to just go on road to Kemmanugundi (22Kms away) and back. My main purpose it to shoot photographs, so I don’t want to drive, but on hindsight I should have.
Samurai-san,

Does the Muthodi-Kemmannugundi direct route goes via Attigundi or is there another route that is not visible in Google maps. Via Attigundi the distance is coming to 61kms. We plan to take this route this weekend (in Bullets though).

Prasad
Old 18th September 2012, 21:58   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Does the Muthodi-Kemmannugundi direct route goes via Attigundi or is there another route that is not visible in Google maps. Via Attigundi the distance is coming to 61kms. We plan to take this route this weekend (in Bullets though).

Prasad
I think this is the route, don't know the name of the village. You have to take a right turn after 16kms from Kemmanugundi, on the Kemmanugundi-Chikmaglur road.

Details are here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1117952

Last edited by Samurai : 18th September 2012 at 22:00.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks