Team-BHP - Recovery and Salvage techniques.. Post Here
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Excursions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/)
-   -   Recovery and Salvage techniques.. Post Here (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/44485-recovery-salvage-techniques-post-here-7.html)

Come on DirtyDan & Headers,

Isn't the whole point of going 4 wheeling to get stuck in the mud and get really dirty & grimy?

O.k., I'll be sure to get an inflate-a-jack for my wife when she decides to go 4 wheeling. I don't want her getting the fingernails dirty!:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedMM340 (Post 954395)
Isn't the whole point of going 4 wheeling to get stuck in the mud and get really dirty & grimy?

I thought it was to meet chicks. ???? Okay, back to the singles bars.

I own a jack, a pick and a shovel at this point. How manly is THAT, 'ay?

I am a wincherwannabe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 954625)
How manly is THAT, 'ay?

I am a wincherwannabe.

OVER EXPOSURE To PURE Awesomeness!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedMM340 (Post 954395)
Come on DirtyDan & Headers,

Aah, you talk like my friend :) My whole objective of 4 wheeling is to ensure, well atleast try to see that all my 4 wheels are on the ground and i clear the obstacle in the first attempt!

Getting stuck is the last thing on my mind!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 954625)
I own a jack, a pick and a shovel at this point. How manly is THAT, 'ay?

I am a wincherwannabe.

:D
Hi wincherwannabe, have you ever had to use the Pick and a Shovel at all?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex670c (Post 954744)

Or maybe its over exposure to ____________ da! Nice to see some comments coming off you.

Hi Guys,

The most over looked part about recovery.

1) Please carry your own equipment. (First 3 are mandatory)
a) Gloves
b) Polypropylene Rope (10mts)
c) Heavy Canvas Ground Mat

d) Rated D-Shackles (3-5Ton) 2nos.
e) Winch (Electric/Hydraulic/PTO)
f) Snatch Blocks (8 Ton)

2) If you are stuck give your equipment to get yourself recovered.
It is not possible for a single Electric Winch to pull out 10+ vehicles in a day, ideally will take 6-10 Hrs of winching and resting the winch.

3) Please don't go OTR unprepared and expect the organizers to do everything to help you out when you are stuck, be prepared and people will look forward to helping you.
4) Please thank the guy for recovering you, In INDIA its the other way around lol:

Regards,

Arka

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex670c (Post 954744)

but, I heard that there is no charge for pure awesomeness, so that should be fine. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex670c (Post 961851)
Hi Guys,
c) Heavy Canvas Ground Mat

the canvas ground mat is for,
damping the tow line, providing traction and floatation, lying on the ground while repairs are being carried out. any other uses?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rippergeo (Post 961895)
but, I heard that there is no charge for pure awesomeness, so that should be fine.

"He is so deadly in fact his enemies would go blind from over exposure to pure awesomeness......there is no charge for awesomeness, or attractiveness."agree:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex670c (Post 961935)
"He is so deadly in fact his enemies would go blind from over exposure to pure awesomeness.....

Ah! This explains your sunglasses.

Do you have to be extra careful with the unibody Gypsy recovery or are they pretty tough? And, can you put a winch on one easily or are you going to pull the front end off?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 964690)
...the unibody Gypsy recovery...

:Shockked: The gypsy is of body-on-chassis construction

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Thunder (Post 964694)
:Shockked: The gypsy is of body-on-chassis construction

OOps! Every time I have looked at the front end of those I think unibody. My bad!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 964736)
OOps! Every time I have looked at the front end of those I think unibody. My bad!

Hey, that shows the SUPERIOR construction of the Gypsy! Gypsy RULEZ..:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by headers (Post 964753)
Hey, that shows the SUPERIOR construction of the Gypsy! Gypsy RULEZ..:)

So, you got hooks on yours front and rear for towing? No problems? I am considering it.

Yup, we got hooks on the front and rear for towing which is a part of the chassis!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKG (Post 950266)
Could someone please give a lowdown on the use of high lift jacks etc, and situations where they come in handy. Could cover inflatable jacks too

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedMM340 (Post 950333)
A high lift jack is primary meant for lifted vehicles. The factory jack just will not be able to lift enough to change a tire. This is where the high lift can help. Another issue while off roading is that when the ground surface is uneven, there may be a depression where you want to place the jack, which may then run out of vertical travel.

Then there are some instances where your rig is grounded on a rock and the high lift may help a bit. But this is not the primary role for a high lift jack. Just want to emphasize again that a high lift jack is just a vehicle jack, not an extraction tool (unless of an emergency).....

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKG (Post 951609)
Is it fair to state that both the high lift jack and the exhaust driven inflatable are both used to lift vehicles from ruts which can then be properly filled with sand/rock and the car extricated?...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedMM340 (Post 952244)
High lift jack may be of some use in extractions, but not an inflatable jack. I have seen pictures of high lift jack extractions where one tries to lift the vehicle to a higher elevation to overcome an obstacle. Personally I have never used my high lift jack in offroad situations, not do I believe that the high lift jack is really an extraction tool at all. I suspect that the marketing department of the high lift jack manufacturer has tried to position the high lift jack as a back up extraction tool. The high lift is however very good at jacking up lifted jeeps or not so lifted jeeps in off road situations........

Ok, here is a scenario where the hi-lift jacks came very very handy in the OTR we had gone for this weekend. Infact we had two use 2 hi-lift jacks at a time as one was not sufficient.

There was no way we could pull out the vehicles from this spot as they were resting on their t-cases, pumpkins, cross members and at times even the propeller shaft was close to getting scrubbed.

The hi lift jacks helped in lifting the vehicle and then the driver moving the vehicle a foot/inches at a time. We had to do this multiple times before the vehicles could be extracted. (Imagine the hi-lift jack being used as a long lever to shift a huge stone)

Here are the pictures.

Recovery and Salvage techniques.. Post Here-3.jpg

Recovery and Salvage techniques.. Post Here-2.jpg

Recovery and Salvage techniques.. Post Here-7.jpg

Recovery and Salvage techniques.. Post Here-6.jpg

Recovery and Salvage techniques.. Post Here-4.jpg

I must say that in some situations, like the one we had, only a hi-lift jack would be of any use. no towing, snatch, air jack etc would have worked.
So we should not discount the possible use and advantages of hi-lift jack in recovery & extraction.

BTW, while we have stressed the 'technique' part (and it can't be overlooked), one should not forget common sense and the ability to use all available resources at hand. For example, in the Gypsy extraction, the use of the spare tyre is an example of using available resources. Believe me, in absence of using the spare tyre, there was no way we could have extracted the Gypsy from here. (we had exhausted our search for looking for stones etc.)

Cheers,

Quote:

Originally Posted by khan_sultan (Post 964904)
Ok, here is a scenario where the hi-lift jacks came very very handy..... we had to use 2 hi-lift jacks at a time as one was not sufficient.

Interesting post. Can you easily find and purchase hi-lift jacks in India? Do you know the cost? Here is a pic of an inflatable. This one works off the exhaust. It may not be high enough for recoveries that would need a hi-lift jack unless you put something under it, like a spare tyre.

Did you guys try a regular jack first?

I noticed on one N. American web site that the hi-lift jack went for about 3800-4200 rupees before shipping&customs and the inflatable was 3 times that.