Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2009, 15:23   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

After speaking to Samurai, and seeing Rippergeo go ballistic, I am in for the next Munnar OTR. I don't care when it is, but my Jeep is being trucked down for the next chapter.

P.S. Well-written experience, Rippergeo.

P.P.S. Samurai, just get on with your damn report, will ya! Skip dinner tonight or something!!
Old 28th January 2009, 15:34   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
.... I am in for the next Munnar OTR. I don't care when it is, but my Jeep is being trucked down for the next chapter.
Best time has to be with rains on/just after rains and then it will be REAL fun. Currently, though the trail is wonderful, it is just tooo easy.

Quote:
...Samurai, just get on with your damn report, will ya! Skip dinner tonight or something!!
+1. can't wait.
Old 28th January 2009, 16:50   #33
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Best time has to be with rains on/just after rains and then it will be REAL fun.
Hope I'll get a 4x4 by August. Would love to join you guys on this and the Rajmachi trails. Would be a riot
Old 28th January 2009, 17:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, i passed you guys on 23rd afternoon somewhere near Chalakudy. I saw you driving your jeep and your Jeep was followed by another black one. I was riding to Ooty for Rider Mania on my Karizma. I knew that you were travelling to Munnar OTR
Old 28th January 2009, 17:39   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Samurai, i passed you guys on 23rd afternoon somewhere near Chalakudy. I saw you driving your jeep and your Jeep was followed by another black one.
Ah! Hard to miss two CJ340s with alloys. We were getting lot of eyeballs all the way, many people asking where we were going.
Old 28th January 2009, 18:43   #36
BHPian

Dear all,

I hope all have reached home after a long journey safe & sound, It was nice time meeting all & spending some time with you all at Munnar,

On the MGE, it was very well known to all that it is normally a cake walkfor all, except for the Coorg MGE,

Well a wrong time for a MGE & OTR at Munnar, we simply need the rains

The MGE trail & the JeepThrills trail is excellent after the rains & more over it was a recce for most of us,

This initial ride to munnar was just a feeler for most of us,

we will be back by mid of this year after the rains, trust me it will be one OTR which make lot of us go crazy onthe trail,

Well i really enjoyed the black tea with bread & hazzel nut spread, & all the goodies which came out jeeps.

i actually sent back the mahindra team as they were to take off early next morning back to bombay,

They will be back for this trail next time with us not for MGE, they were in shock for the kind of trail we had been through,

The hyderabad Green jeep went back as it had issue with the Low gear,

Well the start got delayed & a long drive to the place delayed the return,

My thanks to jayesh who was pilot for the trail, he has asked us to once again be there for the Next OTR & his estate house available for us,

The return in the night was excellent, OTR in the Night is one exprience to go through,

well that's all for now, will add more in the later mails

Till then take care & best regards
Vinay thomas

*** I met some one in the morning who had paid for our lunch. Please let me know the amount, sorry couldnt get your name,

The best part was that i missed the lunch that noon, & wanted to know what was it that you all had for lunch, Evening was high tea on top of the Hill & dinner at munnar town at 1.00AM.

------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ah! Hard to miss two CJ340s with alloys. We were getting lot of eyeballs all the way, many people asking where we were going.
Old 28th January 2009, 18:55   #37
BHPian

It was raining yesterday and i went there today.The terrain is totally different today,You guys missed it.
@Khan_sultan,when did you guys reach munnar.We went till Kodai and relaxed at Carlton and at 11pm found that nobody wants to do that route again.Anyways we took the same route to ensure that nobody is stuck, and reached back by 3.30am.
Quote:
Best time has to be with rains on/just after rains and then it will be REAL fun. Currently, though the trail is wonderful, it is just tooo easy.

+1. can't wait.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2009 at 20:27.
Old 28th January 2009, 19:50   #38
BHPian

Quote:
..100% agree. the Total experience was GREAT. One of the best for me. Great drive, great company of 4x4 enthusiasts, great scenic views, great place to stay with breathtaking sunrise/sunset views and a GREAT OTR Trail.

The MGE was a joke. A serious joke. Infact a CLASS action suit should be filed against those folks for insulting the jeepers if they call that highway/tarmac route an OTR trail.

Excuse my ignorance, what is an OTR Trail ? Also waht is an MGE ?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 28th January 2009 at 21:03. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 28th January 2009, 20:38   #39
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack33 View Post
It was raining yesterday and i went there today.The terrain is totally different today,You guys missed it.
@Khan_sultan,when did you guys reach munnar.We went till Kodai and relaxed at Carlton and at 11pm found that nobody wants to do that route again.Anyways we took the same route to ensure that nobody is stuck, and reached back by 3.30am.
while returning to bangalore clouds were hovering at the mountains and i told Khan we missed by one day.
me,samurai and others reached munnar via kodai at 1 am with minor issues with our jeeps.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2009 at 20:27.
Old 28th January 2009, 21:39   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Here it comes. I was also waiting for the report. Both the MGE & JT.

To begin, here are some from our senior member Dwarak.

Picasa Web Albums - Dwarakanath - JT-MunnarOTR2...
Nice pics, however I'n surprised the greenery is very 'un-Kerala' like..rather dry, not the lush and wet greenery that we are used to seeing.
Old 28th January 2009, 23:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Nice pics, however I'n surprised the greenery is very 'un-Kerala' like..rather dry, not the lush and wet greenery that we are used to seeing.
Munnar town looks just like another TN town.
this part of Kerala even lacks Malayalee Population too.after adimali ,it is kind of some "other" place not in Kerala.
the geography of munnar and devikulam taluka are different from other High range areas in the same Idukki district like Kattappana,Idukki,Nedunkandam where people can actually cultivate spices.here ,in Munnar it is either tourism or Tea.

Last edited by deepclutch : 28th January 2009 at 23:16.
Old 29th January 2009, 06:57   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKCRUISERS View Post
Excuse my ignorance, what is an OTR Trail ? Also waht is an MGE ?
OTR Trail: Off The Road Trail. A short form for the terrain where we do off-roading.

MGE: Mahindra Great Escape. An event organized by M&M for folks with Mahindra vehicles to get together and drive through a supposedly 4x4 terrain

Cheers,
Old 29th January 2009, 07:44   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
After speaking to Samurai, and seeing Rippergeo go ballistic, I am in for the next Munnar OTR. I don't care when it is, but my Jeep is being trucked down for the next chapter.

P.S. Well-written experience, Rippergeo.

P.P.S. Samurai, just get on with your damn report, will ya! Skip dinner tonight or something!!

GTO, I'm in game if the entire thing is planned in a 4 consequtive holiday time.

BHPians, Here is my Munnar trip plan story:

Both in TBHP and JT fourm, I was watching lots of discussions about MGE pros and cons.

Some times I got confused to see Kerala Jeepers of JT to call for munnar trip either in the same or in other day. Over all I was watching the scene on shedule clash... That time I never knew that it was planned out to save the MGE victims to have fun in JT OTR

It was another reason for postponding my Jawadhu OTR call to JT, I was really not ready to include another schedule confusion ;-)

Me and Dr. Jones of JT wanted to drive a Jeep as far as 600kms one way to Munnar to do the JT OTR.

I called my friend Rajmohan of Trichy to also accompany us, and he agreed but for a start by friday noon.

Approached my work for applying leave and it was denied, first failure. I got to cut a sorry figure to Dr.Jones and Rajmohan for my unwillingness to joing for the OTR. I was still thinking of coming to Munnar in a Train or Bus but due to long holiday no seats.... another set back.

Finally the Munnar even happened as planned, my OTR hungry jeep wanted me to show some stunt. I got a call from Vivek (Jeeper) "hey I hope you are joining for us for the Thiruporur OTR, I didn't get any reply from you for my email".

That reminded me of my email which was not accessed for 3-4 days, opps... There you are, the rest is known to all here is the whole writing about the Thiruporur event which happend at the same time as JT Munnar event.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...n-under-4.html

Last edited by trammway : 29th January 2009 at 07:47.
Old 29th January 2009, 09:03   #44
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I was wondering about the same thing. Perhaps we always see Munnar shots post monsoon but this is the reality rest of the year? Its quite like what you encounter here in Andhra.

I think the belt between Goa and Mangalore seems to be a larger tract of forests with dense cover. Perhaps folks from the area could enlighten us

Last edited by DKG : 29th January 2009 at 09:06.
Old 29th January 2009, 09:23   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I think the belt between Goa and Mangalore seems to be a larger tract of forests with dense cover. Perhaps folks from the area could enlighten us
Munnar is 150Kms away from the coast, so the coastal rules don't apply. That said, wait for some more shots where you will see lots of greenery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks