Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2009, 19:53   #61
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Munnar-Kodai track was one treacherous. At every corner one will experience adrinaline running. My gypsy refused to go further owing to bald tyres (Bridgestone H/T which had already run over 70 k kms). Trying hard to push further overheated engine and coolant sprayed out completely.

Left the gypsy to cool and got onto Shahnawaz's gypsy king with what not - full lock , changed gears, maxis Trepedor tyres, beast 1300 cc engine. I tried to take pictures of terrain, but every stone/ corner/ trenches gave jolts like was being tossed. Forget the pictures, better hold your life. Am not exaggerating, this was the kind of trail.

Look is deceiving. It may look doable track from pictures. Some of the jeepers, preferred to stay away from climbing.

Jeepers/ Gypsyers, who had participated and taken pictures, please post them before the subject become stale.

Regards,
Dwarak
Old 29th January 2009, 21:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...-jt-event.html

Follow the report here...

(mods, can we close this thread?)
Old 29th January 2009, 22:11   #63
SYJ
BHPian

some shots from the MGE
Attached Thumbnails
Munnar OTR General reports-dsc04035.jpg  

Munnar OTR General reports-dsc04037.jpg  

Munnar OTR General reports-dsc04047.jpg  

Munnar OTR General reports-dsc04059.jpg  

Munnar OTR General reports-dsc04065.jpg  

Munnar OTR General reports-dsc04066.jpg  

Munnar OTR General reports-dsc04068.jpg  

Munnar OTR General reports-dsc04104.jpg  

Munnar OTR General reports-dsc04083.jpg  

Munnar OTR General reports-dsc04113.jpg  

Old 29th January 2009, 23:53   #64
BHPian

@ arka - Is this your jeep below? I find both the front as well as rear tyres sticking out too much. Is it some mod or some problem with the jeep? Also I see some really huge NDMS on it. I'm guessing 7.50-16 or 7.00-16.
I want those. Please, pretty please.
This is the first time I liked NDMS on a 550. On 6.00-16 it looks too undertyred. Can the owner please share details about their availability.

cheers
vishwas
Attached Thumbnails
Munnar OTR General reports-dsc06552.jpg  

Old 30th January 2009, 00:36   #65
Senior - BHPian

can anyone post pictures of the orange CJ3B with white wheels bearing the no. 63.
Old 30th January 2009, 08:25   #66
SYJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
can anyone post pictures of the orange CJ3B with white wheels bearing the no. 63.

here are the pics of the orange cj3b
Attached Thumbnails
Munnar OTR General reports-dsc04060.jpg  

Munnar OTR General reports-dsc04090.jpg  

Munnar OTR General reports-dsc04101.jpg  

Munnar OTR General reports-dsc04134.jpg  

Old 30th January 2009, 10:17   #67
Senior - BHPian

Problem!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
@ I find both the front as well as rear tyres sticking out too much. Is it some mod or some problem with the jeep? Also I see some really huge NDMS on it. I'm guessing 7.50-16 or 7.00-16.
I want those. Please, pretty please. vishwas
I pray please tell me what problem that could be?

I have Mahindra Pikup front- Open Kunckle Ball Joint Axles (57" Track) Drum Brakes & Rear Axles are Bolero Diff & Axles (53" Track).

Tyres are 7.00X16 MRF NDMS.

7.00x15/7.00X16/7.50X16 will be available March-April.
Old 30th January 2009, 11:30   #68
BHPian

Hi SYJ,

Amazing Pics taken ya.

Could you please share some more details on the Cj3B and the Jeep ahead of it i.e. No.57? Engine info, Power steering and what tyres are being used on both the jeeps.

The tyres on the orange 3b seem like the wrangler MT but cant quite figure it out.

Request you to please share some information.

Thank You,

Cheers !!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Munnar OTR General reports-dsc04060.jpg  

Old 30th January 2009, 11:41   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
...No.57? Engine info, Power steering and what tyres are being used on both the jeeps...
Here it is. Belongs to Mansoor. Has SPoA setup but it broke it's axle on the JT OTR day. Arka can share the full details of engine, axles etc etc.

Must say that it looks DEADLY with a capital 'D'.

Munnar OTR General reports-img_1064.jpg

Munnar OTR General reports-img_1065.jpg

Cheers,
Old 30th January 2009, 11:56   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Here it is. Belongs to Mansoor. Has SPoA setup but it broke it's axle on the JT OTR day. Arka can share the full details of engine, axles etc etc...

Thanks KS,

It sure does look DEADLY with a capital "D".

Arka, please share some details on the orange Cj3B and the Mr. Mansoor's jeep.

Thank you,

Cheers !!!!!!!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 30th January 2009 at 11:59. Reason: Removed excessive message quotes
Old 30th January 2009, 16:29   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

NOTE: Pics taken from Dwaraka.

This is what happened after lunch to Group 2 (Samurai & self were in Group 1 till lunch on JT OTR day):

We have the Bangalore Jeepers + Hyderabd Jeepers in 2 Gypsyies + 1 FJ + 4 Jeeps and w leave the lunch spot some 1 hour after Group 1 had left.

First it was all checking out each other's vehicles.
Munnar OTR General reports-image_513.jpg

The Toyota FJ (That almost fooled M&M folks on the MGE day)
Munnar OTR General reports-image_516.jpg

Since we have NO kerala jeeper with us, we don't know which is the actual trail and we just rely on the info provided by the Kerala Jeepers that we just need to follow the trail.
Munnar OTR General reports-image_521.jpg

After much debate on the trail route, we decide to follow the trail as it goes. At every junction in the trail we see that Group 1 has left branches to indicate which route NOT to take. That helped a lot.
Soon we are at the top of a ridge and this is where end up spending some 1/2 hour arguing & pulling each others leg and wondering where we were and where are we heading to. Some are saying that this trail leads back to Munnar via that ancient village and some are 100% sure that that this will go to Kodai.
Munnar OTR General reports-image_528.jpg

In the meantime, Vinay with his binoculars spots the group 1 jeepers in the valley below but no one is ready to believe him and are in a total fun mood of pulling each others leg.

Anyway, after much deliberations, we move forward and see some horses & donkeys on the way & all of them tell that a tar road to Kodai starts some 3-4 kms from there and there is no trail going to Munnar from here. This calls for more leg pulling al along the way.
Name:  IMAGE_532.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  74.1 KB

Luckily, the trail is good and all of us are wondering how great it would we during the rains.
Munnar OTR General reports-image_541.jpg

Soon after some exciting trails we see Vivek coming back after meeting Arka further down (he was repairing some Jeep whose propeler shaft had broken). Arka had told him that the Kerala gang have plans of going to Kodai and staying there & that he will go and get rest of the folks back with him. He asks us to go back and wait for him to join.

By this time to all of us, everything is looking hazy and we are not sure as to what we are upto. This is how even the camera sees things -- no clarity

Munnar OTR General reports-image_540.jpg

TBC..
Old 30th January 2009, 19:51   #72
BHPian

Hi Shahnawaz, we came home late last night. It was quite a journey to Munnar, we went further to Masinagudi and spent a day there, what beautiful country!! if you love wildlife then you cant miss the place, we spotted 11 elephants, 3 bears, 2 bisons, 2 sambars and countless spotted deer in the two hours of safari, rounded off the trip with a day's stay in Bangalore before starting for Hyderabad.

On the first day of our journey on our way to Bangalore from Hyderabad , one of our Jeeps, a Willys CJ2A, a very fine specimen with a Bantam trailer that was being driven by a driver met with an accident near Kurnool where the road is under construction with one lane open for heavy truck traffic. An oncoming truck forced the Jeep into the tyres of the 10 wheeler it was overtaking, the driver tried to brake but the Jeep veered left and smashed its left from the fender to the back, the windscreen came off the body and in the lap of the front passenger, the hood pipes were all smashed, to counter the driver turned sharp right and went off road over large boulders about 15 metres and hit a concrete electricity pole on the right of bumper, fender and body.

The accident could have been fatal but the drivers and staff who were in the Jeep were miraculously and thankfully unhurt, but the jeep was totalled. Our friend Bharat, the owner of the Jeep, was a great sport, seeing that the damage was just monetary he decided to carry on with our mission. To our luck, we had a friend's factory about 500m away, the trailer's wheels had bent while going over the boulders and so were the 2A's front wheels. we salvaged the rear wheels and tyres from the 2A and got them on the Trailer and dropped off the 2A at the factory

We had originally set off with 3 Jeeps+1 FJ40 = CJ5, CJ6, CJ2A+FJ40. The Jeeps had been registered for the MGE, the FJ40 was there for the JT OTR.
We arrived for the MGE in the two registered Jeeps and our friends who were originally supposed to be in the lost 2A huddled up in the FJ40, the M&M folks heard our story and said that the FJ40 could trail the tail of the convoy on the public roads, but at the conclusion of the trail where the convoy would enter the private estate, the FJ had to be stopped, M&M arranged another vehicle to get our friends to the end of the trail on the day

Big Thanks to all the JT & TBHP members who were there to support us

Quote:
The Toyota FJ (That almost fooled M&M folks on the MGE day)

Last edited by khan_sultan : 30th January 2009 at 20:02. Reason: Made the post readable by giving some spaces between lines.
Old 30th January 2009, 23:00   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYJ View Post
here are the pics of the orange cj3b
thanx a ton for the pictures.
Old 30th January 2009, 23:52   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
I pray please tell me what problem that could be?

I have Mahindra Pikup front- Open Kunckle Ball Joint Axles (57" Track) Drum Brakes & Rear Axles are Bolero Diff & Axles (53" Track).

Tyres are 7.00X16 MRF NDMS.

7.00x15/7.00X16/7.50X16 will be available March-April.
OK saw your modification thread. Get it now, no problems only mods. Though you may want to add fender flares now. Else the tire will give you a nice spray when mud slinging.
7.50-16 being available in march-April is very good news. Can you please provide some more details? Whats the expected cost? Will they be available up north in Delhi? How much did yours cost you?

Quote:
Anyway, after much deliberations, we move forward and see some horses & donkeys on the way & all of them tell that a tar road to Kodai starts some 3-4 kms from there and there is no trail going to Munnar from here.
aaa... Did the donkeys and the horses knew English or did you knew their ....
Sorry could not resist

cheers
vishwas

Last edited by khan_sultan : 31st January 2009 at 06:49. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 31st January 2009, 00:03   #75
Senior - BHPian

Here are some pix from the event,
Attached Thumbnails
Munnar OTR General reports-k.jpeg  

Munnar OTR General reports-jj.jpeg  

Munnar OTR General reports-233.jpeg  

Munnar OTR General reports-444.jpeg  

Munnar OTR General reports-77.jpeg  

Munnar OTR General reports-222.jpeg  

Munnar OTR General reports-4.jpeg  

Munnar OTR General reports-2.jpeg