Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:13   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Once again excellent pictures. Admit it Randeep that Lambo is yours

You forgot to give the chap with the eagle t-shirt a name.

Harjeev how was the temp on the 550 engine for this OTR ?
Hi Satnam,

Na man the Lambo's not mine, if it wer there would be pics of it storming the hill climb.

The guy with the Eagle-T had come along with Aditya, I did not get his name though.

Both of Harjeev's Jeeps the 550 and the 3b behaved themselves and they showed no signs of anger lol. The temp in the 550 remained at 80-90 where as the 3b's was around 70.

Cheers !!!!!!

Randeep
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:19   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker4x4 View Post
Sir,

Will do the next OTR on a reduces Air pressure as suggested by you. As of now was keeping the pressure at 30. That I was thinking is too much after this OTR, was thinking of reducing to 26 the next time and trying

Will 16 be good on the hilly terrain too.

SSS Sir, will definately pass them on to you if I change.

regds

Amit
Dear Amit,

16 PSI is only good for driving in the sand. For our kind of tracks, suggest you should keep around 24 PSI as 30 is too much .

Hope you still decide for bigger tyres to enable the NDMS make way to my MB

Cheers

Sarvinder
Old 2nd June 2009, 14:06   #48
Senior - BHPian

NIOC guys,

You people have some really neat looking 4wd's and the best part is that we get to see some expensive 4wds also taking part in off road excursion. Good show! May be you all should re-attempt the track during monsoon. Will be much more fun!!:-))

cheers!!
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:16   #49
BHPian

Chadda Saab... great pics as ever. Thanks for the pics of my Gypsy. Finally I have some good shots.

If you loose traction - put Arjun in the gypsy, with the added weight you will have better traction.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:59   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
NIOC guys,

You people have some really neat looking 4wd's and the best part is that we get to see some expensive 4wds also taking part in off road excursion. Good show! May be you all should re-attempt the track during monsoon. Will be much more fun!!:-))

cheers!!
Dear Vinod,

This is a old track we have done this number of times. But this time we took many deviations futher as per the supreme court oders the mining of aravalies is banned. So they have created diches and trenches so that the trucks or dumpers do not pass through the kucha track. This has made it all the more intresting as we were constantly trying to bypass the trenches from with the hills. It led to very challenging offshoots on track.

Now we are looking forward to the monsoons on this track. It would be just amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys MB View Post
Dear Amit,

16 PSI is only good for driving in the sand. For our kind of tracks, suggest you should keep around 24 PSI as 30 is too much .

Hope you still decide for bigger tyres to enable the NDMS make way to my MB

Cheers

Sarvinder
Will do Sir.

regds

Amit

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd June 2009 at 17:23. Reason: back to back posts
Old 2nd June 2009, 23:14   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harjeev how was the temp on the 550 engine for this OTR ?
As Randeep has said for a change both my 4x4's preformed great.
I am glad I sent my 3B to Jasvinder's workshop and he has done a wonderful job on it. No the problem is that the temperature doesn't rise in the 3B, but I guess that this can be managed by a simple thermostat switch. Further you have to listed to the sound of the engine to believe it. Super silent.

And the 550 preformed wonderfully too. Though after the OTR I have started hearing some strange noises. I was searching the forum for a thread that had some pre & post OTR checklist. Need to preform those checks, but other than that no issues whatsoever.
I guess that now I can finally stop paying homage to Mayapuri and start to enjoy my vehicles. I think an occasional weekly trip to Mayapuri will sufice.
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:54   #52
BHPian

Hi all,

I'm a newbie, and have been snooping in this forum for quite a bit. I must say the stuff you guys do is really interesting. I have limited experience (read as very, very little) with off-roading, but enough to have a well-developed sense of respect for your machines and driving-skills.

@ Harjeev - How did the Apollo Bullets perform? The terrain you guys were in must've been just right for your tyres to perform at their best. Are they as good as the MRF Sandgrips?

Have fun and keep off-roading.

Ciao
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:38   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post
@ Harjeev - How did the Apollo Bullets perform? The terrain you guys were in must've been just right for your tyres to perform at their best. Are they as good as the MRF Sandgrips?
The tyres preformed great, but again I wouldn't be sure as I didn't do any of the difficult climbs, but whatever I did the 550 dint get stuck anywhere. I am waiting for my engine to run-in before I start stressing the engine.
The performance of the Bullets in comparison to the Sandgrips I wouldn't be able to give my honest comments as I have not used the latter and just started using the Bullets.
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:56   #54
BHPian

Hi Guys,

The Bullets and Sand grips perform well in sand but the NDMS are best for slush/mud and rainy season. Lets see how the bullets perform in slush as i think that the mud will get stuck in the tread of the tyre and make it plain which never is the case in NDMS as the mud slips from the NDMS ( non directional mud & snow) due to the tread pattern.

Cheers

Sarvinder
Old 3rd June 2009, 19:55   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I guess that now I can finally stop paying homage to Mayapuri and start to enjoy my vehicles. I think an occasional weekly trip to Mayapuri will sufice.
Hi Harjeev,

Since you became a Mayapuri expert by now, we appointed you as an authorized Team BHP guide there in Mayapuri

sali
Old 3rd June 2009, 20:18   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Hi Harjeev,

Since you became a Mayapuri expert by now, we appointed you as an authorized Team BHP guide there in Mayapuri

sali
Tell me about it buddy. I am simply tired of going to Mayapuri now. Atleast wouldn't like to go there anymore for getting the vehicles repaired. Can you believe it I have been after mechanics, workshops, junkmarkets since the past 5-6 months now!!!
But now I am tired and will like to drive for a change, and not to the workshops but to OTR's etc
Old 3rd June 2009, 21:29   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding getting the bikes to the OTR It is my view and its shared by many of the senior members of NIOC that NIOC is an OffRoad group specifically for 4x4 jeeps.
We are not saying that your vehciles bikes are not capable, but as a group(NIOC) we will like to keep it this way. If you guys have jeeps you are most welcome to join us or accompany us in our jeeps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys MB View Post
I agree with Harjeev, lets pls keep 100% 4x4 . Cheers Sarvinder
Hey I dint knew that!! I thought as the name suggests it was about offroading and not only Jeeps or 4x4.
Even the introduction talks about off road capable vehicle.
Infact last time when I got my rx, I was talking to romi n shyam and they were very excited to see it. Romi even promised me a ride on his honda XRL next time he gets it. Romi also brings his atv at times to OTR's.

OT - harjeev - My dirt rx in it's first nascent avtar is more capable than my jeep and a hoot to ride. It does everything and much more than my jeep. Also with my limited offroading experience in both bike n jeep I found it is much more demanding and fun to offroad on bike. It also calls for much more skill than driving jeep.

I would really miss getting my rx to OTR's If NIOC takes a strict stance on this as I have built it especially as a complimentary to my jeep. It also fits in the rear bay.

cheers
vishwas
Old 3rd June 2009, 23:55   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can give me a guided tour of your old stomping ground later in the year.
Old 4th June 2009, 05:38   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
Hey I dint knew that!! I thought as the name suggests it was about offroading and not only Jeeps or 4x4.
Even the introduction talks about off road capable vehicle.

OT - harjeev - My dirt rx in it's first nascent avtar is more capable than my jeep and a hoot to ride. It does everything and much more than my jeep. Also with my limited offroading experience in both bike n jeep I found it is much more demanding and fun to offroad on bike. It also calls for much more skill than driving jeep.

I would really miss getting my rx to OTR's If NIOC takes a strict stance on this as I have built it especially as a complimentary to my jeep. It also fits in the rear bay.
cheers
vishwas
hey vishwas
I am just a messenger, but I agree totally with this policy. As you said driving 2 wheelers is more demanding, challenging and a little dangerous compared to 4x4's. And NIOC as a group is well versed risks and challenges associated with driving jeeps. You see ultimately we all have to follow the rules laid out by the group and thats how it goes. I am not the one who makes them but just follow them like all other members.
Quote:
You can give me a guided tour of your old stomping ground later in the year.
Anytime mate. Is your scheduled visit in sept/ oct still on???
Old 4th June 2009, 13:28   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anytime mate. Is your scheduled visit in sept/ oct still on???
Should be Oct/Nov depending on kids half term school holidays. I look forward to scouring Mayapuri for a UAZ 469 or just getting some grease on my kurta pyjama.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks