Team-BHP - THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Excursions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/)
-   -   THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/63720-palar-challenge-2009-event-report-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertKing (Post 1443874)
You took so much time to recongnize it.... . Thanks finally you are agree with me... .

Here are a couple of photos where I tried to accomodate your request, hope I am not disappointing you...!! (he wanted me to click a nice photo of his Jeep).. In the first photo, the Elephant chain look like you have to tie it as else it can run away at it's own. Happy Jeeping.

Hey Naren, Nice Photos, a piece of suggestion (kindly ignore if you find it irrelevant :D), in the second pic, if you have shifted focus from the grass to the jeep, it would have been perfect, also, a little zoom in with more Jeep and less ground would have been much apt.

P.S. - I am not a photography expert and always enjoyed taking photos and comments & critics are most welcome :)

Hi 4x4 gurus.

What is the use of snorkel and why is it used in offroading vehicles ?

I the TPC i could see that only few jeeps have it, please let me know whats the advantage over a vehicle which doesnt have it

joshguy,
Snorkel is primarily for extremely dusty conditions and hot climate areas. Air at the top is much cooler than what is fed from the engine bay and lot cleaner as well. The life of air cleaner increases and hence the engine life. engine also runs a little cooler.

Snorkel is also used for water fording. There have been times when jeepers have seized thier engines while fording deep water. Snorkel prevents immediate engine damage. That doesnt mean vehicles fitted just with a snorkel can ford upto winshield. Infact for such kind of water fording each and every component must be sealed so that water doesnt get into it.

YouTube - 4xforum's Channel

Quote:

Originally Posted by balajird (Post 1444101)
in the second pic, if you have shifted focus from the grass to the jeep, it would have been perfect, also, a little zoom in with more Jeep and less ground would have been much apt.

Hi balajird, thanks for the comments. I was not quite happy with the second picture due to too much grass and due to focus error. I am a very much newbie in the photography. This is my 1st camera which is Nikon L100 - a point and shoot 15X zoom camera. I am learning and would improve along with the experience.

I and Vinod were kidding regarding I being a good photographer :D.

After tyre changing without Jack and Vehicle Recovery.

It was time for the Individual Special Stage Competition, where organizers and participants can compete against each other, and show their vehicles and talents.

Venkat and I, decided to go around and select a section of 5 climbs and descents. The entire O-Team assembled at the ISSC, and they participants were allowed a walk-about, the time limit was set at 30sec per climb & Descent, seeing the participants finish 30min Special Stages, I got a bit carried away, some of the participants suggested we increase the time-limit, we decided on 5 minutes.

Maj.Roy suggested that we try out the course to get an ideal time.

I did the run in my MM540XD with Mhd.Ali as Navigator, it took us 9:46minutes DNF, we couldn't do one Climb and another was eliminated because of chances of vehicle roll-over.

We finally settled for 3 Climbs and 6 Minutes.

The best timing Ranjith Kuttan (M&M Classic) - 1:17mins
Second Mhd.Ali (MM540XD) - 1:24mins
Third Vikram. R (MG413W) - 1:24mins (1 extra attempt).

After the competition Sean Hameed clocked 1:14mins in a CJ3B (XD3P). :D

Pics By Darshan Maralanda

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertKing (Post 1444795)
Hi balajird, thanks for the comments. I was not quite happy with the second picture due to too much grass and due to focus error. I am a very much newbie in the photography. This is my 1st camera which is Nikon L100 - a point and shoot 15X zoom camera. I am learning and would improve along with the experience.

I and Vinod were kidding regarding I being a good photographer .

Thanks for your understanding, i always love to take photos and learn the art of photography from others. Unfortunately my camera recently conked off and i am looking for buying another one. I wish i am part of one of the off roading events and take photos to my satisfaction.

Just a suggestion, try "Programmed Auto (P)" mode in the camera and fiddle around the settings to get better focus and output. If you have played with all the settings in your camera, try the Aperture (A) priority and Shutter (S) priority modes to get better outputs. Finally, you can play with the manual mode. :OT

Hi Guys,

The pics of AdventureZone Campsite and pics of the trophies.

Pics by Darshan Maralanda

Regards,

Arka

@Arka, ANy pics of the wheel change without jack event?

Vikram, was that a 1 litre or a 1.3L gypsy ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 1447337)
Vikram, was that a 1 litre or a 1.3L gypsy ?

1.3 litre gypsy carburated belting out 60 horses.

Guys,
The palar event must have been over and full 10 days on the growl of engines and flying sand and mud are still fresh in my mind! Here comes my short and crisp event report of palar 2009:-)

CompetitionSpecial StagesEvaluationHospitality & ProfessionalismMy Vehicle & codriverAll in all a great event with great set of people both organisers and participants! I strongly feel every 4x4 owner must try palar challenge atleast once!!

(some pics from my mobile which i managed to capture- Last pic is that of my son playing with the trophy:-))), blue shirt guy is naren my co-driver and beige colour T shirt is me)

Great event! Good sponsors, good prizes, good terrain, good organising, good participation. Way to go!

What impressed me most was the safety standards. ATV riders always in helmets and complete protective riding gear. The First Aid demo was a great addition.

And the fried fish was cool :)

So was the 'breaking'. Am referring to the picture below which actually should have been 'braking'.
THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-breaking.jpg

Will surely be there for your next event. And hope to see you here in Hyderabad for our next Jeep Thrills event.

@Mazda:You have quite a sharp eye there.

@Vinod:That was a very crisp report.

Naren,
Where are tons of pics and videos that you have? Please post them

Day 1

Most of the teams arrived by late afternoon and after a quick briefing session, everyone strted moving towards the clay pits to get the men and machines warmed up for the 2 gruelling days that lay ahead.

It had rained overnight and the clay pits were waterlogged. Now picture the glee on Arka's face. The 1ton was the first vehicle in the pits and it did look rather intimidating. What added to it was the attention it received from the participants and the local alike. All the other vehicles followed with a few of them making it and a few unable to do so due to the soft sand (under the water) that had started getting deeper and deeper with every passing Jeep. The day included quite a few tricky inclines, declines and multi obstacle sections that was challenging but nothing when compared to what was in store over the next 2 days.

All brown and dirty, we made our way back to the campsite where were were joined by a few more teams. The team from Salem arrived only by 4 the next morning.

Last minute preparations and fine tuning was on upon arriving back at the campsite. From sorting out fuel issues to radiators, to checking on the usual breakdown suspects a few even went about washing their vehicles and clearing out those last few stains to ensure that their vehicles gleam and shine the next day. Everyone retired to their beds pretty early after dinner on day one in anticipation of what lay ahead the next day.