Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2017, 05:48   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
My Scorpio has done more than 1 lakh kms after MLD fitment, no issues at all.
Good to know that 1100D. Curious to know how the MLD will impact power delivery. Eaton website says the MLD works as a light bias limited slip differential during normal operations & I was wondering what that would do to torque at wheels as compared to the current normal differential. Asking this because the current torque delivery at low speeds is very good and want to understand if the MLD will dilute that.

Quote:
However, is it really true that M&M is offering free installation on TUV, If so, its really some news.
yes its almost free, apart from a couple of 100s that you might have to pay for consumables. Quiet a few BHPians have got it done and even more owners have changed to MLD based on conversations on WA groups. The price of the Mlocker has increased substantially in the last 3.5 yrs - From 25K in early 2014 to almost 78K now(MRP on the MLD box).

Quote:
But I do tend to think otherwise. To me, it can sometimes be more effective than a 4wd with open differentials at both ends!
I dont know much about 4WD and hence cant understand why you would need a MLD when you have a 4WD? Wouldn't you have a minimum of 2 wheels with traction in most scenarios? OR are you talking about scenario where you need to drive through sand/ice and all 4 wheels have no traction?

Personally, a 4WD doesnt make a lot of sense for me as I dont see myself offloading too much given the fact that most of my travel is with family. Hence the MLD makes a lot of sense to me as it can help get out of those sticky situations when you have to drive on a slushy shoulder of a road or wade through some mud.

Last edited by procrj : 26th August 2017 at 05:55.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 08:51   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I dont know much about 4WD and hence cant understand why you would need a MLD when you have a 4WD? Wouldn't you have a minimum of 2 wheels with traction in most scenarios? OR are you talking about scenario where you need to drive through sand/ice and all 4 wheels have no traction?

Here is a video by 1100D, of Marengo, his Scorpio 4WD fitted with MLD. I think this is the best way for all of us to see and understand how an MLD works off the road.

Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 09:18   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Here is a video by 1100D, of Marengo, his Scorpio 4WD fitted with MLD. I think this is the best way for all of us to see and understand how an MLD works off the road.
Thanks for that Neel. More questions for the experts after watching that video
  • 1. Why the need for more momentum while driving in 2WD MLD mode? Does the MLD not work when moving from standstill?
    2. Wouldn't higher speeds when the MLD locks lead to more wear?
    3. My understanding is that at a difference of 100 RPM, the MLD locks and distributes power. If that is the case, then it should work from standstill as well right?
    4. Does the MLD make the rear slip out whenever engaged? Most videos that I have seen online does show the rear slip around a bit whenever the MLD is engaged, irrespective of the type of car.

Do check this as well. Bad quality but does manage to convey the point. The last test situation from 5:45 seems similar to 1100Ds situation in the video.

Last edited by procrj : 26th August 2017 at 09:21.
Old 26th August 2017, 13:11   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was wondering what that would do to torque at wheels as compared to the current normal differential. Asking this because the current torque delivery at low speeds is very good and want to understand if the MLD will dilute that.
When not locked, MLD works as a open differential, so there should be no torque fall out.

Quote:

Personally, a 4WD doesnt make a lot of sense for me as I dont see myself offloading too much given the fact that most of my travel is with family. Hence the MLD makes a lot of sense to me as it can help get out of those sticky situations when you have to drive on a slushy shoulder of a road or wade through some mud.
MLD does not compensate for 4WD. Say on a 4WD with no locking differential, you will need traction on both wheels on either end (axle) to get moving. But if one or more wheels on the front "and" rear axle has lost traction, 4WD wont make you move. For example, if one side of your vehicle is stuck in slush, with both wheels on that side having lost grip, irrespective of the grip that the other side has, the vehicle wont move (this is where, if the other side has traction, MLD can move you out)

With MLD, if you have traction at either wheel at the installed end, you will get moving.

But If both the wheels at the MLD installed axle has lost grip, MLD wont help. You will only move if another axle can move you. In other words, you'll need 4wd.

Quote:
1. Why the need for more momentum while driving in 2WD MLD mode? Does the MLD not work when moving from standstill?
More momentum in 2wd, because in 4wd mode, the front axle provides some additional help in traction. In absence of that in 2wd, a little momentum compensates for it.

Quote:

2. Wouldn't higher speeds when the MLD locks lead to more wear?
3. My understanding is that at a difference of 100 RPM, the MLD locks and distributes power. If that is the case, then it should work from standstill as well right?
[/list]
MLD self disengages at 23 (!) kmph. Once engaged, by a wheel spin differential of 100 rpm, MLD works from stand still. However, in my video, the conditions were such that even with MLD activated, both the rear wheels were loosing grip (did not show that condition in the video, thinking that it was apparent), hence wasn't enough to get over that hump. Hence there were 2 options :- 1 > 4WD, 2> 2wd with a little momentum.

Quote:

4. Does the MLD make the rear slip out whenever engaged? Most videos that I have seen online does show the rear slip around a bit whenever the MLD is engaged, irrespective of the type of car. [/list]
Yes, while MLD is engaged, the rear slips out, because a lock differential cannot accomodate the difference in wheel rotation that a "turn" demands (thats why the Open differential was designed in the first place), hence either or both wheels spin a bit and the subsequent loss of traction causes a little drifting. Not an issue when speeds are low. MLD engages only below 23kmph.
1100D is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 18:56   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. Does the MLD make the rear slip out whenever engaged? Most videos that I have seen online does show the rear slip around a bit whenever the MLD is engaged, irrespective of the type of car.
People participating in drifting competitions either have MLDs, or if economically challenged, just weld the differential shut (as in shut= not open)

Always wondered about autolockers on front diffs. (Advocated by some 4X4 enthusiasts. Eaton had one for the Tata Indica!)

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 12:42   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Always wondered about autolockers on front diffs. (Advocated by some 4X4 enthusiasts. Eaton had one for the Tata Indica!)

Regards
Sutripta
The Indica one was actually developed for the Fiat Adventure series of vehicles in Brazil (Panda & Ducato) and since the Indica Vista here used the same drivetrain, it was chosen as the demo vehicle.

These are E-Lockers which aren't the autolocking type but driver controlled with a button on the dash. Autolockers will not be fitted on steerable axles.
fiat_tarun is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 20:59   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
The Indica one was actually developed for the Fiat Adventure series of vehicles in Brazil (Panda & Ducato) and since the Indica Vista here used the same drivetrain, it was chosen as the demo vehicle.
I thought both eLockers and autolockers were being demonstrated for both vehicles, ie a total of four. Not one for each vehicle, for a total of two.

Quote:
Autolockers will not be fitted on steerable axles.
Make that should not. Quite a few (in the 4X4 community) would, and given the opportunity, will fit it. After all, if one is good, two must be better!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 23:01   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post

These are E-Lockers which aren't the autolocking type but driver controlled with a button on the dash. Autolockers will not be fitted on steerable axles.
During the Eaton Roadshow here, they mentioned adapting eLockers for the Scorpio/Getaway/Thar. Is the eLocker finally available for these?
Old 29th August 2017, 11:19   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
I thought both eLockers and autolockers were being demonstrated for both vehicles, ie a total of four. Not one for each vehicle, for a total of two.
The ELocker was demonstrated on the Vista and the MLD is there for the Scorpio/Thar and Xenon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
During the Eaton Roadshow here, they mentioned adapting eLockers for the Scorpio/Getaway/Thar. Is the eLocker finally available for these?
I have moved out, so not fully updated. However as far as I am aware, there is no ELocker development for the Mahindra range and they will stick with the MLD.
fiat_tarun is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 09:14   #70
BHPian

Hello all,

Does anyone know if the Eaton MLD will fit a Tata Xenon xt 4x4? And how does one procure it? Any leads will be helpful please.
Old 7th December 2018, 09:45   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawan_dubey View Post
Hello all,

Does anyone know if the Eaton MLD will fit a Tata Xenon xt 4x4? And how does one procure it? Any leads will be helpful please.
Distributor details for Bangalore taken from Eaton website:

Kesar Auto & Tyre Centre,
Mr. Baba Chandok - Proprietor,
81, J. C Road, Bengaluru,
Karnataka, 560002,
India
Email: admin@kesarauto.com
Tel: +91 80 41249660
Mobile: +91 9880298558

They might be able to help you with your questions.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 10:58   #72
BHPian

Thanks Vikram. Update: Just called them, they're no longer the official distributors.

Any other way I can check compatibility and procure it?

Last edited by GTO : 8th December 2018 at 07:01. Reason: typo
Old 10th December 2018, 20:09   #73
BHPian

Further update. Eaton India no longer supplies for aftermarket buyers. Only available with Mahindra dealers now I suppose.
Old 22nd December 2018, 05:10   #74
Team-BHP Support

MLD really makes a lot of difference in the TUV. The TUV suffers badly from lack of articulation and MLD is extremely helpful. Here is a video of 2 TUVs, one with MLD and one without -

BlackPearl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 13:13   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
MLD really makes a lot of difference in the TUV. The TUV suffers badly from lack of articulation and MLD is extremely helpful. Here is a video of 2 TUVs, one with MLD and one without -
Wonder how its big brothers would fare here - a 2WD Scorpio/Bolero/XUV? Might have made it through only coz of the longer wheelbase.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed