Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2015, 16:50   #46
BHPian

Re: How to get Snow Chains in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So you need one pair for Bolero and one pair for the Thar? If so, give me some time, I fill find something. What is your preference, chains or cables? If you are doing medium snow, cable will be good enough, but if you want to do some serious deep stuff, you have to go for chains.
Hi Tanveer

We have actually planned our trips based on your inputs from your invaluable thread on Leh-Ladakh and few interactions with you. Our travel plan is as below

02 October 2015 Chamba - Sach Pass - Killar - Keylong
03 October 2015 Keylong to Leh
04 October 2015 Leh - Kardung La - Diskit (Nubra)
05 October 2015 Nubra - Agham Shyok or Wari La - Pangong Lake
06 October 2015 Pangong - Chang La - Leh - Lamayuru
07 October 2015 Lamayuru - Kargil - Dras - Sonamarg
08 October 2015 Sonamarg - Srinagar - Mughal Road - Jammu

We have been advised that a lot of snow can be expected during 1st week October on our planned route. I have no idea what kind of chains are required.

Kindly note the Thar got mud terrain tyres and not the usual tyres for Thar.

Please help. You are better knowledgeable to make a call on this than all 6 of us combined.

Cheers
Renjith
Old 27th July 2015, 17:59   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith_Mani View Post
Hi Tanveer

We have actually planned our trips based on your inputs from your invaluable thread on Leh-Ladakh and few interactions with you. Our travel plan is as below

02 October 2015 Chamba - Sach Pass - Killar - Keylong
03 October 2015 Keylong to Leh
04 October 2015 Leh - Kardung La - Diskit (Nubra)
05 October 2015 Nubra - Agham Shyok or Wari La - Pangong Lake
06 October 2015 Pangong - Chang La - Leh - Lamayuru
07 October 2015 Lamayuru - Kargil - Dras - Sonamarg
08 October 2015 Sonamarg - Srinagar - Mughal Road - Jammu

We have been advised that a lot of snow can be expected during 1st week October on our planned route. I have no idea what kind of chains are required.

Kindly note the Thar got mud terrain tyres and not the usual tyres for Thar.

Please help. You are better knowledgeable to make a call on this than all 6 of us combined.

Cheers
Renjith
In my opinion you will not need chains at all, esp for the Thar. During October, the snow is usually light, and I have crossed Rohtang after 20th October, and all I required was 4WD.
With M/T tires, you should have no problem.

That said, Lemme find out the model required. I would recommend cables as they are usable on stretches where snow is on and off.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 19:29   #48
BHPian

Quote:
. I would recommend cables as they are usable on stretches where snow is on and off.
Thanks Tanveer

Please suggest the ones that are eligible for shipping to India.
Old 27th July 2015, 19:59   #49
Team-BHP Support

I checked, and Amazon has stopped shipping many items to India. It has been done because Amazon.in is expanding. Unfortunately, such items are not available in India.
You can contact glacier chain or SCC directory
http://www.glacierchain.com/

http://www.peerlesschain.com/

And ask them if they will ship to you after taking payment via paypal.

Alternatively, you can ship it to a friend in USA and he can ship it to India, you pay duty and stuff.

Other option is to buy from sites which get stuff from amazon usa.

That said.
You need 1046 and 1042 pairs. Total cost is around 90$ only.

For tensioner you can get new holland tractor links(rubber suspension links).

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th July 2015 at 20:04.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 16:28   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I checked, and Amazon has stopped shipping many items to India. It has been done because Amazon.in is expanding. Unfortunately, such items are not available in India.
You can contact glacier chain or SCC directory
http://www.glacierchain.com/

http://www.peerlesschain.com/

And ask them if they will ship to you after taking payment via paypal.

Alternatively, you can ship it to a friend in USA and he can ship it to India, you pay duty and stuff.

Other option is to buy from sites which get stuff from amazon usa.

That said.
You need 1046 and 1042 pairs. Total cost is around 90$ only.

For tensioner you can get new holland tractor links(rubber suspension links).
Okay, I checked again, and paid shipping is on now. Glacier chains set of 2 costs 125$ and fits 235/70R16
Old 19th February 2022, 15:57   #51
BHPian

Snow chain needed?

Hello! I am planning a trip in my new Thar petrol MT from Kolkata to Spiti, Ladakh, etc., to commence in the next 3/4 days. The plan is to visit Umling La, which is apparently the highest motorable point in the world, among other places of interest. Need to know whether I should purchase snow chains. Advice on this, and any other issue that might be relevant, will be greatly appreciated.

Among "other relevant issues" is heating when the engine is off. I see a kerosene heater and an LPG heater in Amazon. Are they safe? Also, is a bulky and awkward solar package the only viable source of power while living in the car or in a tent? What about "solar generators"? (A 200 W model is available for Rs 20,000.00.)

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st October 2022, 22:58   #52

Snow Chain recommendations for the EcoSport?

I'am planning to take my EcoSport (Titanium S 1L EcoBoost) to Zanskar this winter. I will probably go there by the middle of November when the roads are free of snow and stay there till the end of Jan.

I'am looking for a set of snow chains to use while I'm there. I plan to live in my car whenever possible and it would be nice to drive around to different locations to park my car and the snow chains should allow me to do it relatively safely.

I found a set on Amazon called the 'BKR Snow Chain 16mm for Jeep, Thar SUVs'. They look well designed and not bulky like the local ones that you get in Leh. I wonder if anyone has any experience with these snow chains or have any other recommendations.
Old 7th January 2023, 02:10   #53

Re: Snow Chain recommendations for the EcoSport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmotioninc View Post
I'am planning to take my EcoSport (Titanium S 1L EcoBoost) to Zanskar this winter. I will probably go there by the middle of November when the roads are free of snow and stay there till the end of Jan.
Hey, did you end up buying those chains?

I am looking around, and those are the only chains I found being sold here. It says you have to deflate the tyres to 10-16psi, which seems like a pain, honestly

I guess the ideal scenario would have been ordering chains from amazon.com, but we'll be leaving for our trip in the next week.

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th January 2023 at 05:29. Reason: Quoted post trimmed.
Old 7th January 2023, 16:50   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCupcakes View Post
Hey, did you end up buying those chains?
I did! Used it to drive across Pensi La twice to Zanskar and back. Infact I just returned from Padum to Leh yesterday.

The size they recommended (size 50, the smallest one available) was a bit too large for my Ecosport's tyres. So I had to improvise while putting them on, but they still rattled and made a lot of noise while driving. I had to re-tighten the chains multiple times but the good thing is that they never came off even when not very tight.

I'll totally recommend them, as long as you can find the right fit. Amazon has a 10 day return policy for these chains, so you can try them and return if the fit is not right.
inmotioninc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 17:45   #55
BHPian

I used to carry chains in my car for years but never once have I used them.
I carried the light weight ones that was fast to fit. It took only a few minutes.
Lately I have not carried chains but a container of sand that I can sprinkle in front of the tyres for better grip on ice.
When I drove the 18-wheeler we are required by law to carry 7 chains but it the sand that I used.
In total I might have used chains on the truck about 20 times in as many years.
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 18:32   #56

Quote:
I did! Used it to drive across Pensi La twice to Zanskar and back. Infact I just returned from Padum to Leh yesterday.

The size they recommended (size 50, the smallest one available) was a bit too large for my Ecosport's tyres. So I had to improvise while putting them on, but they still rattled and made a lot of noise while driving. I had to re-tighten the chains multiple times but the good thing is that they never came off even when not very tight.

I'll totally recommend them, as long as you can find the right fit. Amazon has a 10 day return policy for these chains, so you can try them and return if the fit is not right.
Thanks for updating!
I came across 2-3 videos on YouTube explaining how to get the chains custom made from a local welder. It'll be quite cheaper so I'm tempted to give it a try.

However, I'll keep these chains you mentioned as a failsafe, if I don't manage to get a custom chain built before leaving for the trip.

If anyone has triedgetting snow chains made locally, I'd love to know any tips. I live in Mumbai so i doubt if local welders have any experience making snow chains
Old 7th January 2023, 18:54   #57

It might be cheaper. But if you find the right fit then the BKR chains are worth the price. They are easy to put on and take off. And most importantly the chains have a diamond shape design which maintains contact with the road surface at all times giving you good traction.
inmotioninc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 11:15   #58

Quote:
It might be cheaper. But if you find the right fit then the BKR chains are worth the price. They are easy to put on and take off. And most importantly the chains have a diamond shape design which maintains contact with the road surface at all times giving you good traction.
Yeah, I'm worried I'll mess up the measurements and the custom snow chain ruins my vehicle.

The unfortunate thing is I'm not sure if they'll arrive on time. We're planning to leave this Friday or Saturday.

We're hoping that to purchase the chains en-route, but I'm unsure as we'll not be passing Chandigarh when going to our destination (current route is Bikaner- Pathankot - Dharamshala)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks