Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2008, 20:23   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@ Ignazio- the axle articulation on that safari in the last pic is amazing! can a stock one do that?
Hi!
No it can not...
The Safari in the last pic is a friend of the club, he is testing a +7 cm setup that I have personally seen in the last offroad we had together. Keep in mind that both sway bars are also off on that car. No bad at all isn't it?
I wonder why very few owner of the Safari 4x4 out in India are using it offroad...

Ciao ciao

Ignazio
Old 15th May 2008, 10:30   #62
Senior - BHPian

Safari Off-Road in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignazio View Post
Hi!
I wonder why very few owner of the Safari 4x4 out in India are using it offroad...
Hi Ignazio,

In INDIA fortunately we have the M&M JEEPs.

Which are more fun to drive and far superior to the Tata Safari off-road.

Also they are very affordable.

Regards,

Arka
Old 15th May 2008, 15:59   #63
BHPian

2004 Ford F-150 FX4 - Four Wheeler

here is one truck that is hot hot.. drool mal...
Old 19th May 2008, 12:42   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Ignazio:

I have a question on adding a leaf to the leaf-springs to increase the ground clearance for my MM540. Typically when you add a leaf the leaf-spring suspenstion becomes stiffer and affects the ride quality. Does it make sense to add an additional longer leaf-spring to increase ground clearance and remove the smallest one at the bottom?
Old 19th May 2008, 13:53   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Ignazio:

I have a question on adding a leaf to the leaf-springs to increase the ground clearance for my MM540. Typically when you add a leaf the leaf-spring suspenstion becomes stiffer and affects the ride quality. Does it make sense to add an additional longer leaf-spring to increase ground clearance and remove the smallest one at the bottom?
hi
4x4 addict,

MM540 has underslung leaf. Hence adding leafs would not make any difference in ground clearance. It will not lift the body. Adding leafs would make the ride very harsh, may effect articualtion if the setup is too stiff. I think the only option to increase the ground clearance is either bigger tyres or go for suspension over axle setup. But iam sure , the pain isnt worth it.

Regards vinod
Old 19th May 2008, 15:50   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Ignazio:

Hi!
I think it could have sense only for lifting, but... The efforts will not pay back.
I try to explain my view. If you add a longer leaf without moving the shackle attachment backword to the frame, the longer spring will be much more loaded hence your Jeep will became a kangaroo LOL, will not cope the axle movement smoothly because you will have the rest of the leaves set for a different spring rate.
Let suppose that your leaf spring setup is similar to the one of RedMM340 blue jeep ( forgive my freedom of mentioning your nice Jeep Buddy!) check his post, photo set 2.
If that is the case, there is a lot you can do before going to the "add a leaf" option!
1st, check the shackle position, it is at very low angle in rear axle, and the Jeep is totally unload.
2nd, if you look at the shafts from tcase to differentials, they are inclined towards the body of the car.
This, if is your case, can only mean (just pic view, reality may be different) that, leaves have lost their shape, and/or shocks are not correct, too soft for the load.
To get the right angle at the shacle and shafts you should reform your springs, change to new/better springs, or extend a bit the shackle lenght. Extending the shackle lenght on a deformed leaves, set back probably to its original height, but the spring rate will not change, hence will stay soft but with higher GC.
Just suppose that your springs are still ok and in shape, the first easy mod without changing too many parts, to increase GC and get better off road performance is to go for front shackle reverse, and longer shackle at the back, you will get a lift of easily 3/4 cm...(shock change is a must!). Get a simple body lift... etc etc
Last but not least, you can go for Spring Over Axle as suggested by Vinod. SOA mod is not that easy as it may appear...
Do not forget that if you increase too much the suspension height, you have to correct your shaft working angle, this can be done with inclined spacers between the spring and axle attachment and/or double knuckle shafts and so on...
I wish I could have at your price one of those MM to modify...
Sorry for the very long post!

Ciao ciao

Ignazio
Old 24th May 2008, 03:50   #67
BHPian

Found this pic on another forum

taken from yarisworld.com

What say Khaadu? How about modding your next truck to this level .

Last edited by rev_hard : 24th May 2008 at 03:51.
Old 30th May 2008, 00:52   #68
Team-BHP Support

Take a look at this : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...tml#post847228

cya
R
Old 30th May 2008, 02:24   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
This jeep is a piece of junk. That suspension won't make if very far off-road. That type of hydraulic lift is just for show and is popular among the "low rider" gangs in Los Angles, etc..

A good quality suspension kit for a 4x4 increases wheel travel and articulation thereby improving the off road capabilities while retaining or even improving street handling properties.
Not everyone takes their vehicle off road, in fact I would go as far as saying most Jeeps have never been off road.

I suppose it is rather like most horses are never raced but kept for ones own pleasure.
Old 30th May 2008, 09:02   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Not everyone takes their vehicle off road, in fact I would go as far as saying most Jeeps have never been off road.

I suppose it is rather like most horses are never raced but kept for ones own pleasure.
Bigman - that rule does not apply here. You are in the 4x4 section of Indias top auto forum.
Old 30th May 2008, 13:44   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Bigman - that rule does not apply here. You are in the 4x4 section of Indias top auto forum.
Who said that hydro jeep is a 4x4 ?
Old 1st June 2008, 01:49   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_hard View Post
Found this pic on another forum

taken from yarisworld.com

What say Khaadu? How about modding your next truck to this level .
Can't seem to see the picture ... can you repost it ??
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:35   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
This jeep is a piece of junk. That suspension won't make if very far off-road. That type of hydraulic lift is just for show and is popular among the "low rider" gangs in Los Angles, etc..
hey dude this jeep is mine....
think twice before writing.This jeep is not a piece of junk.
u have no right to speak like this abt others work.. i think all members r agree wd me.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd June 2008 at 15:12. Reason: slang usage
Old 2nd June 2008, 15:15   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpaalgill View Post
think twice before writing.This jeep is not a piece of junk.
u have no right to speak like this abt others work.. i think all members r agree wd me.
That's not true. Members are free to comment/criticise cars and modifications. However personal attack on members is prohibited.
Old 2nd June 2008, 23:26   #75
Senior - BHPian

Harpaal,

Nice to see you here. Saw your jeep on sale on eBay. I see the life is quite fancy what REd340 seems true to me, if a suspension system can move with that much free play then I dont think its going to be too sturdy on some serious rocky offroading.

Could you post some pics if not vids of this vehicle doing some serious uneven offroading ? I guess this will resolve the debate if such lifts are actually practical.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks