Team-BHP - How to get a top quality winch?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   How to get a top quality winch? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/40882-how-get-top-quality-winch-11.html)

Heard that the hand winches are good. But for me, using one in the field seem to overlook one basic safety feature. " Never stand in the path of the cable" and with these winches you are right next to the cable.
Heard that you can get them from coimbatore where they are made.

Regards,
Krishna.

I always get to see loads of these tirfor hand winches in the phatankot junk yards> Don't know if they are still working or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittigadu (Post 1259157)
Heard that the hand winches are good. But for me, using one in the field seem to overlook one basic safety feature. " Never stand in the path of the cable" and with these winches you are right next to the cable.

Actually you stand next to the Tirfor and the cable feeds in front, if it snaps it will move away from the break. But your right, compared to bar mounted powered winches you are kinda exposed. I always use cable dampeners or a heavy jacket when winching and only the first 20 meters is steel rope, the rest are winch extension straps.

All along I was useing a WARN M8000 lb winch.

When winching two important things to be followed.

Ask all bystanders to be away to a distance of more than 100 ft from the stuck and rescueing vehicles.

Put a towel or tow rope on the winch rope to ensure it goes down by the weight of the tow rope / towel and does not fly upwards.

I've seen faujis from the artillary division who drive the Tata "S" model Big gun carriers(all of them have winches), using a 10kg brick( that same one thats used by the local wheat markets to weigh the harvest on the scale), instead of a matt or anything else on the winch lead. I think it makes sense since the truck lead might be a lot heavier than the ones that come in the usual winches that we get in the market.

I am looking to buy a 12VDC electric winch for the car/boat, Can someone let me know where I can buy it in the western suburbs of MUMBAI/BOMAY

Hi friends
i am planning to buy a warn portable winch , The new winch will be shared by me and my business partner, for my gypsy and his Scorpio. ok , is their any dealer in India other than Ozone who can supply this winch?

Quote:

Originally Posted by swastikviji (Post 1395179)
Hi friends
i am planning to buy a warn portable winch , The new winch will be shared by me and my business partner, for my gypsy and his Scorpio. ok , is their any dealer in India other than Ozone who can supply this winch?

If you have fitted the above winch, can you please share the feedback about the same?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossi (Post 1459327)
If you have fitted the above winch, can you please share the feedback about the same?

Hi Rossi,

Still i have not fitted a Portable winch, but i have similar winch permanently fixed to my mm 550, its very very good not a single issue in lost 3 yrs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittigadu (Post 1259157)
Heard that you can get them from coimbatore where they are made.

Regards,
Krishna.

You are right, in the powered winches you get an option to stand behind something or additional distance to keep yourself safety.

I was just posting a piece of information why the winch cable dampers are important in another thread. I'm posting the same here as this is also talks about winching techniques

Considering we all use steel cables for winching, While steel winch cables are exceptionally strong, safety precautions must be observed to avoid injury in the event of cable failure. Such breakage can result in a violent whiplash effect that can harm people and equipment in a split second.

It is important to put something over the winch cable even before we put tension on the winch cable, in case it should break or come unhooked under load. You can use a Gunny bag, Carpet, tow strap, a small tree branch, a floor mat, or a heavy jacket to drag the line to the ground in the event of an unhooking, the dampers as stated above significantly reducing the recoil and keeps the cable under control should it break, or attaching hardware comes loose.

A flying cable can do serious damage to 4x4s as well as body parts. It is important that bystanders stand back behind vehicles. It also doesn't hurt to raise the hood of the winching vehicle just in case the hook comes flying back toward the winch. Standing away from the taut cable, or even finding a hiding place, is a smart thing to do.

It's the winch operator's responsibility to clear the "Kill Zone" of the winch cable or other dangerous areas before using the winch. If the cable snaps or the vehicle moves incorrectly, onlookers could be maimed or killed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swastikviji (Post 1459446)
Still i have not fitted a Portable winch, but i have similar winch permanently fixed to my mm 550, its very very good not a single issue in lost 3 yrs.

3 years? I somehow thought you got it this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1459825)
3 years? I somehow thought you got it this year.

Yes Samurai, my winch is Warn its not Ramsey, i have not bought from Vinay,

hi if u people want to go for a good winch i think RUVANA japan is also having some power full winches i have ruvana 6000 on my cj it is power full ....but i know a person who has 10000 it is good this is for 39000 min eis for 22000 ..they are usually available in mumbai with old engine people or in chor bazar

I've seen some good reviews of Superwinch on other forums. No personal experience though.

Superwinch Store - Superwinch

is this OZONE the same as that 4x4 shop near the edge of Museum Road en route to St Marks road on the St Josephs college rear side? Comes just before the small rear gate of India Garage Mahindra dealership.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swastikviji (Post 1395179)
Hi friends