Team-BHP - How to get a top quality winch?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   How to get a top quality winch? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/40882-how-get-top-quality-winch-3.html)

Is there anyone got their hands on Tabor Winch, It is again a product from WARN stable.

I'm thinking of taking a 9K Tabor for my Classic, I have seen it working well in one of the OTR in Chennai. Not sure of the internals but it looks same as the 9K Warn with Tabor branding.

The 9K Tabor costs lesser than 35K in Bangalore, as quoted by a vendor.

Hi All,

I was just going through the August 2008 issue of Auto Build India and saw this section that lists automotive products. They had written about this 6000 lb winch for Rupees 4700. They also had a link to this web-site.

Amin Sons Marketing Pvt. Ltd.

I have never heard about these guys and have no idea about the quality. From the pictures, it seems like some no-name Chinese brand. But I guess for 5K it maybe worth a try for anyone who doesn't want to spend 15K to 25K on a Warn unit.

That's interesting. A winch for 5K.!!!.

Anybody game for experimenting here? I will be second in queue after someone tries it out and finds it any good :-)

Quote:

15K to 25K on a Warn unit.
You sure? I doubt that this price would be available in India. In my interactions with Ozone folks (importers/dealers for Warn), the minimum was ~35K.

I too have seen winches on ebay for really really cheap. BUt then always makes you wonder why a 6000pounder costs 5k and a 2000pounder by a reputed brand costs 35-45k.

like shahnawaz said, someone can try it out, though personally I would prefer to have a branded winch which can pull the vehicle out. Reliability being vital here

I got the following reply for the enquiry
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your inquiry
The Winch 6000 lbs will cost Rs. 32,000/- inclusive of Vat.
Regards,

Team Amin Sons.

32000!!!! but then where did he get a figure for rs.4700 ??
Also what brand is it for 32k. It looks like a generic chinese brand.

He has not mentioned about any brand. I think it is a Chinese make since he deals with ATVs as well according to the details in the web site.

First: A little OT but do we have to mount the winch to chassis?
Is it workable to hook up winch on the pull hook of rescue vehicle on one side and stranded vehicle on the other. With load pull the winch would be suspended but should do the job?
Gurus?

Second: Normally winch can add to pull out torque and so do we really need high torque winch for off-roading? I do not for see scenarios where I have to lift the vehicle but more of providing and assist. So would not a 4000lb winch suffice?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudev (Post 1083431)
First: A little OT but do we have to mount the winch to chassis?

The winch should ideally be mounted between/on the frame rails just behind the bumper. For this you will need to custom build a winch plate depending upon the Jeep you are going to mount it on. I tried my luck on a Classic and the winch worked well, an electric winch. The Classic does have a plate behind the front bumper between the frame rails(It has got Mahindra embossed on it). I was not sure how good or bad that is, so we made a custom build plate instead.

Since this was only an experiment and the winch was given to me only for a few days we dismantled the plate after that.

Quote:

Is it workable to hook up winch on the pull hook of rescue vehicle on one side and stranded vehicle on the other. With load pull the winch would be suspended but should do the job?
Workable but here you will be dealing with 2 cables which can get a bit unmanageable if really stuck. Powering the Winch could be another issue and more set of cables.

Quote:

Second: Normally winch can add to pull out torque and so do we really need high torque winch for off-roading? I do not for see scenarios where I have to lift the vehicle but more of providing and assist. So would not a 4000lb winch suffice?
Rule of the thumb the line pull should be equal to 1.5 times the gross vehicle weight.

PS: No guru, but done some stuff just out of the love for it.

Please do find another reply from Amin sons regarding 6000lbs winch

Dear Sir,
This are t max brand made in china. We do not have any dealer, we sell all are products directly. We can ship them via Gati transport. This products do not have any warranty.
Team Amin Sons

Me thinks the 1.5 times is rule of thumb for marketing.....considering that we really have to over come rolling resistance and not the total dead weight. This is like human push on a vehicle struck in sand/slush.
Waiting for others to give their input.

@Spitfire : Any one who has used a winch in difficult situation is a guru in my book 8-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudev (Post 1083702)
Waiting for others to give their input.

@Spitfire : Any one who has used a winch in difficult situation is a guru in my book 8-)

Ok get the message, but you can use pulleys along with a 1.5 times rated winch. One Mr Newton let us, the merry folk know why and how.

How? what? look here the guru's themselves -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...post-here.html

PS: Never could click any pictures (the ultimate requirement to let people know "i have done offroading"). Cameras and the assorted stuff used to cost more then what i needed to service my Jeep for a year or two. So instead got a Jeep and never clicked any pics.

PSS: One piece of advise. If somebody has so many questions about a winch, my advice could be stay away from one. Its not as simple as it looks. You can get injured really really bad. Stick to the simpler recovery tactics first before getting into winching.

PSSS: I am out of here and over to the gurus.

Dear Jeepers,
i have been using winches from the time Arka has fitted one on his jeep, well it was Arka & Patrick who have thought me how to use the winch to the core,

In any of the events, where i am there i take the winching responsibility,

As for the safety it is mandatory & that the safety aspects are understood before winching any of the jeeps,

My experience in winching is quite vast, & the best was that i have winched out 92 jeeps using one machine non stop in one of the major events, well it sounds stupid 92 jeeps, well we had no choice to use one machine,
The best way to reduce the load on a winch is by using the Snatch block, this the best way to give more life to the winch,

At times high lift is help less & the only help is a winch,

Not many consider a winch important, but trust me that's the best resource you can have,

Anything below 8000 lbs is some thing which i will not suggest at all,

Warn are the best when it comes to the initial pulling & are fast, but they fail when it has to pull continuously, the Ramsey are slow initially & get little fast after a while & will work non stop, some of you might disagree,

US army uses a mile marker( hydraulic) in their humvee, they were earlier fitted with Warn winch & they discontinued for this reason, couldn't last in the desert & would over heat.

The most important is the battery & the alternator, because this is the most important feature in your jeep which actually gives life to the winch,

In one of the recce for MGE, one the jeeps rope was unwound to the end, and this guy winds the rope in the wrong direction, and i reach the next day for the another round of recce and start using the winch & i still remember telling them that wind is in the wrong direction, and when we were recovering one one of the jeeps i could see the rope rubbing the against the top of the fair lead i could see the rope cutting through the metal plate, & it even damaged the rope,
the reason i have mentioned this is that without a proper knowledge one will surely spoil the winch,

Finally if you ever see a winch fitted on a jeep which is covered/ shinning & not used at all is the most dangerous winch, because it might not function when required,

A winch should be used at least once a week, you need to unwind half & wind it back, this way the winch is always clean & fresh, if the water has entered wait for 10 minutes & then start using it this way the water in side will evaporate,

The cables on a reputed winch are strong & will last you long, it's up to how one uses it & how you service the rope,

A good quality winch will last you very long with out any issues, it will cost you any where between 50 -55 K for an 8000 lbs,

that's all for now,
Till then take care & best regards
Vinay thomas
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 1083752)
Ok get the message, but you can use pulleys along with a 1.5 times rated winch. One Mr Newton let us, the merry folk know why and how.

How? what? look here the guru's themselves -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...post-here.html

PS: Never could click any pictures (the ultimate requirement to let people know "i have done offroading"). Cameras and the assorted stuff used to cost more then what i needed to service my Jeep for a year or two. So instead got a Jeep and never clicked any pics.

PSS: One piece of advise. If somebody has so many questions about a winch, my advice could be stay away from one. Its not as simple as it looks. You can get injured really really bad. Stick to the simpler recovery tactics first before getting into winching.

PSSS: I am out of here and over to the gurus.

@Spitfire: LOL
No I am not jumping into this but right now just for knowledge. As organizer for Desert Storm this could be one of needed equipment. Saw it in action last edition but this was mounted on a Gypsy. And yes those cables can be lethal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 1083752)

Since this comment seems almost pointed towards members like me, let me answer this. I am into photography lot longer than offroading. So it is natural that I combine photography with offroading. It doesn't make me an offroading expert, but it gives the members lot more insight into offroading. I am sure you have heard of "A picture is worth thousand words".

Let's think about this, exactly an year back the interest in offroading was quite limited in our forum. Then came the Kelambakkam offroading report with some fantastic action photography by Krishna who is not into offroading at all. His photography captured interest of so many people and many including me started envying Jeep owners for the first time. After that almost every offroading report is full of action photographs. Now every week we see somebody buying a scrap Jeep and restoring it for offroading. I very much doubt this offroading explosion would have happened without all the numerous offroad photographers on our forum.

Now stop being true to your handle and stop spitting fire at every opportunity. Gift that dSLR to your wife and let her photograph your offroading actions. That will probably extinguish the fire in your throat.:uncontrol