Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2015, 16:38   #136
BANNED

Re: Places to buy stuff for Off-Roading/4x4 in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Shashanka

Warn and Runva are winch brands. Warn being an internationally reliable brand while Runva is an economy Chinese like brand.......with their higher GC and ladder frame chassis build, but they become a liability when the surface doesn't provide enough traction.

Drive safe!

Thank you Amolpol for that core bit of info - warn & runva. Yes of course, cost will play a major role in making a decision. Plus the fact that you have pointed out the availability of alternatives like Tred.
The real problem of course is that folks like us (or rather, folks of my generation) like to walk into and look around a showroom and make up their minds - even something requiring fabrication work on the car!
We are not yet comfortable with this whole on-line shopping & home delivery business.
As I said earlier I am no off-road enthusiast & prefer going to places where a RWD SUV would normally face no great hard-ship. And to be honest, our old Bucephalus has never seriously let us down.
But you are right of course - it is one thing to discuss (as an engineer) the intricacies of the Torsen diff over the comfort of the internet, and quite another to find yourself up the creek without a paddle, on a snow-covered mountain road without the luxury of any off-road aids ! I shall certainly keep that in mind.
Thanks once again.
Shashanka
Old 23rd September 2015, 20:45   #137
BHPian

Re: PICS: Purchased a Metal Jerry Can from a Kanpur Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionAmit View Post
Hi all.

I want to post this post to help the fellow BHPians who are looking for a Jerry can. I was searching for Metal Jerry Can since a long time for long road trips (wanted it to be of metal and non-plastic to ensure safety). I searched online from ebay etc. but the prices were 4.5K+ Rs and I searched online on Alibaba.com, and mailed some suppliers, i got reply from one guy from Kanpur then he can supply a single can at Rs. 1,700 including delivery charges (although initially he resisted for supplying a single piece) condition was to pay first (advance net transfer) or pick up directly from his factory.

Since I am in Bangalore and have none known person in Kanpur I took the risk of paying first to an unknown party and ordered one can. It took 8 days for the can to reach Bangalore and in the mean time i followed up and irritated the person but finally i am happy i got it.

Attaching some pics and the bill for reference. Supplier details are in the invoice.

Disclaimer: I am no way related to the supplier and not promoting him/her. Your purchase at your risk.
Hello Amit,

Thanks for the information. Can you also throw some light on the quality of the product and your experience (good and bad) while using the same?

Thanks in advance.
sudipta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 11:57   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caged_nomad View Post
Hi I was looking at investing in 2 pairs of maxtrax for my Scorpio 4WD.......
Cheers!
Abhi
caged_nomad, please have a look at the below pictures. A simple DIY which will cost you a maximum of ₹1000/- per pair of these, or maybe less.
I got hold of two wooden planks of 1" thickness, 1' wide and 3' length...the dimensions that would easily fit both in the rear of my vehicle and the roof rack when muddy. Drilled holes in them and put top through them, as you see in the pictures.
Serves the purpose beautifully as the ropes give traction and also aid in retrieval of gear after recovery even when used in slush.
If required, you can even use it for bridging.
They may not look glamourous, but will certainly work perfectly.

Places to buy stuff for Off-Roading/4x4 in India-wp_20150924_11_38_52_pro.jpg

Places to buy stuff for Off-Roading/4x4 in India-wp_20150924_11_39_34_pro.jpg

Warm regards.
Unavowed_X9

Last edited by Unavowed_X9 : 24th September 2015 at 12:02. Reason: Typo correction.
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 12:57   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
caged_nomad, please have a look at the below pictures. A simple DIY which will cost you a maximum of ₹1000/- per pair of these, or maybe less.
I got hold of two wooden planks of 1" thickness, 1' wide and 3' length...the dimensions that would easily fit both in the rear of my vehicle and the roof rack when muddy. Drilled holes in them and put top through them, as you see in the pictures.
Serves the purpose beautifully as the ropes give traction and also aid in retrieval of gear after recovery even when used in slush.
If required, you can even use it for bridging.
They may not look glamourous, but will certainly work perfectly.

Attachment 1419045

Attachment 1419046

Warm regards.
Unavowed_X9
Very nice unavowed! Good out of the box thinking.

Little dangerous for bridging given the weight of the vehicle viz-a-viz the thickness of the plank.

Do you have any video of these in use?

Lastly, may i share this on my FB offroad junkie page? (with due credit)
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 13:22   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Very nice unavowed! Good out of the box thinking.
Tejas@perioimpl.
Thanks

As regards your queries:

1. Little dangerous for bridging given the weight of the vehicle viz-a-viz the thickness of the plank.

Depends on the gap you need to bridge though. You could add metal strip / flat angle with soft headed nuts for added strength. If you can use thicker planks, they can easily support atleast 1 tonne, since all the weight will not be on the planks at the same time. As the plank in question is 3 ft in length, its obvious the bridging gap will be under 2 ft. So I guess they will work fine. In case you want to bridge wider, then you would obviously need stronger / thicker panels / reinforcement.

2. Do you have any video of these in use?

No, I have not yet been able to use them either for any recovery or bridging. But its obvious they will work fine.

3. Lastly, may i share this on my FB offroad junkie page? (with due credit)

Of course you can use it on the offroad junkie page.
However, I am not a social media user.

Warms regards
Unavowed_X9

Last edited by Unavowed_X9 : 24th September 2015 at 13:27. Reason: Typo error correction
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 12:22   #141
BHPian

Re: PICS: Purchased a Metal Jerry Can from a Kanpur Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
Hello Amit,

Thanks for the information. Can you also throw some light on the quality of the product and your experience (good and bad) while using the same?

Thanks in advance.
The can is of army grade, solid metal, but the lid to close the can might cause some leakage so to prevent that we need to improvise. like some extra protection.
The build quality is solid and is dark green in color. Thats a standard with the supplier i think.

Last edited by StallionAmit : 27th September 2015 at 12:27.
Old 18th January 2016, 23:44   #142
Senior - BHPian

Where can I buy a snorkel for a Safari 3.0. Left side mounting.
Old 20th January 2016, 14:16   #143
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Where can I buy a snorkel for a Safari 3.0. Left side mounting.
Bluegarage.in

or Jeepkart.in
AVR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:32   #144
BHPian

Hello all,
Can someone please tell me from where can i procure a good quality tow rope from ?
I have a 4x4 fortuner automatic which I very rarely use for serious offroading but when i do, i felt the need of a tow rope many times. I purchased the yellow colored tow rope from online markets but that snapped very quickly.
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:48   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush46 View Post
Hello all,
Can someone please tell me from where can i procure a good quality tow rope from ?
I have a 4x4 fortuner automatic which I very rarely use for serious offroading but when i do, i felt the need of a tow rope many times. I purchased the yellow colored tow rope from online markets but that snapped very quickly.
Just outside Mayapuri, on the main road you have new part shops catering to cranes etc., There you can get a flat 6 ton payload rope which cranes etc., use. Good quality costs 1500-2000rs max. 4 tonne is around 1400 or so.
I don't recall exact shot names, but there are these 2-3 big shops selling brand new shackles, tow ropes etc., targeted towards cranes and earth movers.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 14:35   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
There you can get a flat 6 ton payload rope which cranes etc., use. Good quality costs 1500-2000rs max. 4 tonne is around 1400 or so.
Just to add length of tow rope should be minimum 5-7 meters, it helps you in cases when recovery vehicle cant come close enough.
Also, i think fortuner has closed hooks and in that case having a shackle will save some headache.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Shubhendra is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 16:38   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes agree with Shubhendra. Longer the better. 5 meters minimum.

What we generally use here are known as lifting slings. These are colour coded and the 5 ton ones are the pink coloured ones that you should pick up.

However, these have a slight disadvantage.

- these are designed to be used with hooks for cranes. So if you double up the strap expect difficulty in getting it into a winch hook or a shackle and also you will crunch up the loops which is not good for the life of these straps.

- secondly they are a bit heavy and will get very heavy when wet

You can also consider the dedicated straps which are thinner and much lighter but rated to the same or rather higher strengths. These are available at dedicated 4x4 stores. I think Ironman sells it as well as the Everything4wd store in bangalore sells ARB ones. I'm sure they will ship it to you.

For shackles get the 3/4" bow shackles (not D shackles)

PS: i have no financial arrangements with either Ironman, ARB or Everything4wd (though i wish i did)

EDIT:

Do not pick up snatch straps but pick up tow straps / winch extension straps (basically ones that are NOT elastic). You may consider getting a tow bridle which honestly would be perfect to evenly distribute the load (if the vehicle has two tow points on either side of the chassis - left and right)

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 3rd June 2016 at 16:43. Reason: typo correction and see edit
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 17:52   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Just outside Mayapuri, on the main road you have new part shops catering to cranes etc., There you can get a flat 6 ton payload rope which cranes etc., use. Good quality costs 1500-2000rs max. 4 tonne is around 1400 or so.
Quote:
Just to add length of tow rope should be minimum 5-7 meters, it helps you in cases when recovery vehicle cant come close enough.
Also, i think fortuner has closed hooks and in that case having a shackle will save some headache.
Quote:
You can also consider the dedicated straps which are thinner and much lighter but rated to the same or rather higher strengths. These are available at dedicated 4x4 stores. I think Ironman sells it as well as the Everything4wd store in bangalore sells ARB ones. I'm sure they will ship it to you.

For shackles get the 3/4" bow shackles (not D shackles)
Thanks a ton guys for your prompt replies.
I would like to mention here that i am complete noob and doesn't have any idea what all the technical terms means. The need for tow rope arises basically when i need to go to rural areas where there are literally no roads and cars get stuck very easily.

While i appreciate you people trying to explain things to me, I would like to point out that i am completely blank. So, i didn't really get what shackles, tow bridles means. Pardon me for my stupidity, but can someone please explain me the meaning of these terms and also tell me which one will suit me best.

My requirements are that it should be compact and easy to store inside the car, should be strong so that it doesn't snap.

Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd February 2017, 09:43   #149
BHPian

Any idea if the airlines allow checking in an Arb Fridge as a checked in luggage in US.My granddaughter purchased it as a gift for me in Florida and want to bring it to me in India.Are they now classified under Hazmat due to R134 refrigerant ?

My old fridge on on my LC died last year, and the local danfoss guys could not fix it.I had brought it in person in 2001 from Australia when there were no such travel restriction in Bushland.

Thankful for any info coming in.
Mods if required feel free to reshift it to any suitable headers if this does not fit here.

Last edited by Vinay Stanley : 22nd February 2017 at 09:44. Reason: typo and old age doesnt help much
Old 22nd February 2017, 09:55   #150
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
My requirements are that it should be compact and easy to store inside the car, should be strong so that it doesn't snap.

Thanks in advance.
Check this out. This is a 4x4 Tow rope with Bow Shackles.
Attached Thumbnails
Places to buy stuff for Off-Roading/4x4 in India-tow-rope-bow-shackles.jpg  

shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks