Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:03   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
....I often have to drive hundreds Kms to reach off-road venues. How did you deal with the on-road handling of your CL340?
A solution (may be expensive/tough -- but a solution nevertheless).

Get one of this trailer attached to your GV to lug your 340 on-road to reach the OTR spot. This way you will have best of the both worlds . (and you can keep different/spare axles also to choose from for your 340 :-))

Using MM540 axles in CJ340-img_0963.jpg

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd October 2008 at 10:05.
Old 24th October 2008, 11:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

Wider Front Track

Hi Samurai,

We have fitted Wider Axles on 2 JEEPs in Chennai.

1) Patricks JEEP (XD4.9P + KMT90 + 5.38:1+ 235-75-15 Pirelli Scorpion AT)
2) Dr.Jones Prowler (XD3P + KMT90 + 5.38:1+ 31"-10.50-15 BFG AT-KA)

The Conversion is bolt on and there is not cutting or welding involved, i.e the CJ3B/CJ500D/MM540 (Non-NGCS) have the same Chassis width and also the same Leaf Springs Lengths / the spring pack count differs)

The Advantages
1) Improved turning radius
2) The Wider Front Track prevent the vehicle from wandering on the road (pulling left-right due to road undulations)

Disadvantages
1) Increased un-sprung mass of the wider axle & Housing.
However I must add that, we have not felt any suspension or steering related issue with these mods. (Patrick has Gas-Charged Shock-Absorbers in the front)

2) Front Wheel Sticking out of the body.

To improve the handling of the CJ3B I would suggest

1) Level Your suspension (Check your Leaf Count)
military CJ3B Front 10 Rear 11
CJ340 Front 8 Rear 9
MM540 Front 9 Rear 10

Mr.Behram Dabhar can correct me on this.

2) Use a shock-absorber with a bigger bore (Force Traveller Rear Shock Absorber)

3) take a How to Drive a JEEP like a Maniac classes from Suresh Stephen or Giri Tirumale. -- Will make you immune the rolling and pitching.

4) Carry Nitrous, madan80 and Me in your JEEP when ever you travel

Regards,

Arka
Attached Thumbnails
Using MM540 axles in CJ340-drjones-prowler.jpg  

Using MM540 axles in CJ340-patrick-willys-cj3b.jpg  

Old 24th October 2008, 16:55   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
We have fitted Wider Axles on 2 JEEPs in Chennai.

1) Patricks JEEP (XD4.9P + KMT90 + 5.38:1+ 235-75-15 Pirelli Scorpion AT)
2) Dr.Jones Prowler (XD3P + KMT90 + 5.38:1+ 31"-10.50-15 BFG AT-KA)

The Conversion is bolt on and there is not cutting or welding involved, i.e the CJ3B/CJ500D/MM540 (Non-NGCS) have the same Chassis width and also the same Leaf Springs Lengths / the spring pack count differs)
Yes, I recall that from our earlier talks. I was attracted towards this mod because of no cutting/welding business.

Quote:
Disadvantages
However I must add that, we have not felt any suspension or steering related issue with these mods. (Patrick has Gas-Charged Shock-Absorbers in the front)

2) Front Wheel Sticking out of the body.
The first one can be countered to switched to alloys, right? The second one, any structural issues coming out of that?

Quote:
1) Level Your suspension (Check your Leaf Count)
military CJ3B Front 10 Rear 11
CJ340 Front 8 Rear 9
MM540 Front 9 Rear 10
Which will result in loss of height.

Quote:
2) Use a shock-absorber with a bigger bore (Force Traveller Rear Shock Absorber)
Won't that make the ride rather harsh?

Quote:
3) take a How to Drive a JEEP like a Maniac classes from Suresh Stephen or Giri Tirumale. -- Will make you immune the rolling and pitching.
I haven't seen them on-road, only offroad. Will watchout next time.

Quote:
4) Carry Nitrous, madan80 and Me in your JEEP when ever you travel
Fastest way to flatten the leafs?
Old 31st October 2008, 11:57   #34

Hello all - Behram Dhabhar here - Dear Sharat - on how I managed my CJ340s onroad handling to reach Great Escape spots? Simple, I flew down to the nearest airport, got picked up in Scorpios etc and took over the CJ only at the start line. After all, what are drivers for? My driver is so careful with the 340 that he takes 3 days to come from Jaisalmer to Mumbai. So? No problem for me. I just fly back. Simple.

On the subject of wider axles, please provide more data.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 31st October 2008, 17:33   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
After all, what are drivers for? My driver is so careful with the 340 that he takes 3 days to come from Jaisalmer to Mumbai. So? No problem for me.
Sorry but I couldn't resist. I have seen how Mahindras drivers ABSOLUTELY TRASH Jeeps on their way back from the Great Escape. Yup, witnessed it first hand since all of us used to leave pretty much around the same time. IIRC there was also an incident where a reckless official driver turned a custom Jeep turtle on the way to a great escape (Silvasa? Goa? Dont remember).
Old 31st October 2008, 18:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post

Once, I've had a sudden braking situation in a CJ3B shod with Pirelli 215mm wide AT tyres. Scary would be an understatement.

When was it nitrous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.B.Singh View Post
Hello Sir,
not to be confused by all the above posts.
All the jeeps (not SUVs) made by Mahindra have almost the same knuckle, spring, spindle,etc.
Once you put the 3 inches wider MM540 axles, your 340 get the specs of the Mahindra Classic. Rest is all well known to Classic owners, about stress, stability, strength etc.
Sir, you are the BOSS of all jeeps/jeepers, so we should abide by your advice. Sir, why not post some pictures of your amazing collection - I'm told you have 43 or so in all!
Old 31st October 2008, 21:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Samurai,

Disadvantages

Regards,

Arka
Quote:

The first one can be countered to switched to alloys, right?
Samarai, I think the greater concern here is the effect the increased weight of the axle will have on the old springs especially when dropping into a hole, articulating. The alloys and bigger tyres would add to the problem, if there is one, more weight on the end of a lever, in effect. So would the increased width inasmuch as the wider axle could drop just a little bit farther, e.g. longer lever. Perhaps it simply is not a problem but that is what I meant before and, I think, is what Arka means.
Old 19th November 2008, 22:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
The cardinal rule is to go fast / float over obstacles.
Wonderful post Behram, very informative for the less informed. And I love your cardinal rule
Old 21st November 2008, 09:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Behram, generally I don't make any changes unless I understand all the pros and cons. I am however curious of the following statement by UBS.

Does that mean CJ340 has a shorter axle than CL340?
Yes, CL340 aka Mahindra Classic is 3 inchs wider than the CJ340. The Classic shares the same wide track with MM540. Also the spring plate count in CL340 is of same with MM540. 9 in the front and 10 in the rear.

If I can share this info, Mahindra overseas MM540 (at least what I have seen from internet parts catalogs were marked the images exactly or similar to CL340 of India )

One more information to be cleared here, Please make a note that there is no spearate CL340 DP and CL340 Classic. It is misleading information, as CL340 is nothing but Mahindra Classic.

CL340 DP simply says the engine is XDP 4.9 2112cc engine.

I will explain the more insight of CL340 DP aka Mahindra Classic identification and bit of technical information when I progress my Jeeping exercise story in the same forum.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...excercise.html

I'm ready and welcome critiques and comments now.
Old 21st November 2008, 11:16   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
One more information to be cleared here, Please make a note that there is no spearate CL340 DP and CL340 Classic. It is misleading information, as CL340 is nothing but Mahindra Classic.
Siva, you are contradicting some very well established facts. CJ340 and CL340 are same, but CL340 and CL340 Classic are different. The former has drum brakes and latter has Disc brakes. There are some more changes, there is a thread on that.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-o...sic-cj340.html

Last edited by Samurai : 21st November 2008 at 11:18.
Old 21st November 2008, 12:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Siva, you are contradicting some very well established facts. CJ340 and CL340 are same, but CL340 and CL340 Classic are different. The former has drum brakes and latter has Disc brakes. There are some more changes, there is a thread on that.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-o...sic-cj340.html
Well, I still have reasons to say no or defend for it. In fact the Classic (truly) which I own is mfg in 1996 with all the specs as mentioned in the thread.

I can even add some more information about identifying the classic from CJ340 or other Jeeps. My observations will following my own thread which is going in episodes.

Please check my other thread about Jeeping exercise where GTO posted the pics of his owner's manual. You can see the Classic manual stating CL 340 DP 4 wheel drive (very prominent) not CL340 Classic.
Old 21st November 2008, 14:22   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Well, I still have reasons to say no or defend for it. In fact the Classic (truly) which I own is mfg in 1996 with all the specs as mentioned in the thread.
Look at the what Behram says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - let me clear all queries. The original vehicle was known as the CJ3B about which I am not writing here. It became CJ340DP when the Peugeot XDP4.90 engine and the 4 speed KMT90 transmission were dropped in it. In 1995, the CJ became the CL as the nomenclature CJ was owned by Chrysler and therefore M&M changed over from CJ to CL. The CJ/CL340 was made from 1993 upto 1997 when the CL340 classic was introduced.

Why was the classic born? - the CL340 classic is a domestic version of the CL340RHD classic sold by M&M in England and other RHD countries like South Africa etc. It's LHD version was sold in France. Export vehicle was given in India also, the only difference was that European specification lights etc (E marked) were not given inthe domestic version. That's why.
According to him, the Classic came out in 1997, but you have a 1996 Classic?

Let's wait for experts like Behram/UBS/Arka to clarify this.
Old 21st November 2008, 18:44   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
According to him, the Classic came out in 1997, but you have a 1996 Classic?
Classics were definitely available in 1996. The first one I saw in person was a '96 build. The owner & I eventually became friends after I got my Classic and we had many an offroading trip together.
Old 21st November 2008, 19:35   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Classics were definitely available in 1996. The first one I saw in person was a '96 build. The owner & I eventually became friends after I got my Classic and we had many an offroading trip together.
Thanks for the clarification, so it started in 1996. I think Behram and RedMM340 have the 1995 version CL340 which was not Classic. Let's wait for their response, they can clarify whether all CL340 were classic or not.
Old 21st November 2008, 20:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

I'm still sticking to my words, after CJ340 DP the version produced was CL 340 DP aka Mahindra Classic.

I'm in doubt if I can post my Jeeping exercise episode in weekends, if I can I will include the most important aspects (nearly 30 points) identifying a Mahindra Classic.

That post will sure tell you the way identifying of Mahindra Classic.

If you can do all of those modifications in your CJ 340 DP it can be called as CL 340 DP aka Mahindra Classic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks