Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2008, 00:11   #16
BHPian

Ok. Interesting that you've now asked about the Classic! There you go, now you straight away have your engine differentiators too. You could have the 550 with the 2.6 CRDe Scorpio Engine & tranny and offer the Classic with the 97bhp 2.5 litre CRDe Bolero engine.

MM550 with all the specs I'd asked for in the other thread at Rs 6 lakh (Options extra)
CL340 Classic with the following specs at Rs 5 lakhs (Options extra). Yes, there will be some overlap, but the markets could be different. The MM550 could be the more refined, but potent, offroader offering luxuries like air-conditioning and lockable cabin/stereo system/etc, while the Classic could be "THE" ultimate barebones offroader.

Specs:
Engine: 2.5L CRDe 97Bhp (can tune up to 100bhp considering the lower weight?)
Gearbox: Five forward with overdrive + one reverse
Transfer case: 2 speed, manual with power take off point (2H-4H-N-4L)
Limited Slip differentials as standard / Lockable front & rear differentials as options.
Power-steering
Leaf-spring all around set up.
Sway bar disconnects like Samurai had mentioned (can be manually done, no electronic wizardry here).
Booster-assisted brakes - disc / drum set up is fine with hydraulic suspended pedal.
Hydraulic clutch.
Handbrake that works.

Body:
Same classic shape.
Optional bikini doors / safety bar.
Full roll cage.
Four seater (2 fully adjustable buckets + fixed bench for 2) with belts all around.
Removable soft top
Built in lockable trunk box just behind the rear seat for valuables.
16" wheels - 255/65 R 16 All-terrain radials standard or optional MT tyres!

Options (not included in Rs 5 lakh price point):
Electric winch
Lockable mounting points for Hi-lift jack, jerry can, spade etc.
Lockable bonnet.
Off-road kit.
Provision for air conditioning (provide just the blower arrangement like the Gypsy has as standard)
Off-road lights.
Lockable FRP canopy.

Two fantasies in quick succession. I'm on a roll
Cheers,
Roshun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2008, 00:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

i'll spend anything to convert a CL340 to a CLASSIC with the 2.5TD (XD3P) engine.
Old 10th December 2008, 01:22   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
WHy 4 lakhs, Samurai? Do not forget that the major retails for higher. M&M is not doing charity, it's a business, they have to have their share of profits.

You know what you can get for 4 lakhs in the Indian market, don't you - Spark, Estilo etyadi...
But notice what I am asking for 4L, it is basically barebones when compared to hatches.
Old 10th December 2008, 06:28   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Samurai,

Can you please start a poll to see how many people would prefer a CL340 or Classic Vs the MM540 just in case Mahindra decides to do a limited run...

I don't know how to set up a poll, else I would have done it.

Thx,
Old 10th December 2008, 22:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Also, can we change the title to - CL340-4WD wish list - Do you really want your CL340-4WD?

Personally , I feel an MM550 with creature comforts is what most people would opt for. Poll, please
Old 10th December 2008, 23:32   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Personally , I feel an MM550 with creature comforts is what most people would opt for. Poll, please
Even without a poll, the number of responses on the MM540 thread vs this thread should be a hint.
Old 11th December 2008, 00:03   #22
BHPian

The CJ3B or the M&M version, CL340 was/is a classic vehicle. The way M&M sold it in 1995 (when I purchased mine) was just perfect. It was true to the original design. It was the type of vehicle that you had to get used to in order to appreciate the design and capabilities.

These days, cars come with an endless list of options. This was not the way Jeeps were designed. They were designed to be totally functional and very simple in their basic design.

Having a elegantly simple design made the Jeep the perfect starting point to customize and individualize. The owner could completely customize the Jeep in any way desired. This is one of the best aspects of a Jeep; The fact that you can customize it with an endless array of aftermarket options and upgrades to suit it to your individual taste, need, or budget. I guess that with a Jeep, you will get as many different combinations of features as there are Jeep owners.
Old 11th December 2008, 01:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
The CJ3B or the M&M version, CL340 was/is a classic vehicle. The way M&M sold it in 1995 (when I purchased mine) was just perfect. It was true to the original design. It was the type of vehicle that you had to get used to in order to appreciate the design and capabilities.

These days, cars come with an endless list of options. This was not the way Jeeps were designed. They were designed to be totally functional and very simple in their basic design.

Having a elegantly simple design made the Jeep the perfect starting point to customize and individualize. The owner could completely customize the Jeep in any way desired. This is one of the best aspects of a Jeep; The fact that you can customize it with an endless array of aftermarket options and upgrades to suit it to your individual taste, need, or budget. I guess that with a Jeep, you will get as many different combinations of features as there are Jeep owners.
I concur.. Most of the wish lists here can be easily added by members themselves for a far lesser rate than what MM will charge you. RedMM340 makes a very valid point about the Jeep's simplicity and the easy with which one can make every jeep his own in terms of customization. What I would really like MM to do is reduce the price, rest I'd build on my own.
Old 11th December 2008, 09:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....Personally , I feel an MM550 with creature comforts is what most people would opt for. Poll, please
I also think so. However, people, who want a jeep only for off-roading, will still prefer an SWB jeep because of its inherent advantages.
Old 12th December 2008, 01:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
i'll spend anything to convert a CL340 to a CLASSIC with the 2.5TD (XD3P) engine.
If budget is so obviously not a problem, what are you waiting for? My Jeep went through this transplant earlier this year.

Quote:
[/b]Personally , I feel an MM550 with creature comforts is what most people would opt for. Poll, please
I agree. As much as I'd be happy to see the 340 chassis back in showrooms, there will be very few takers for such a small / cramped / impractical Jeep. I say : Bring the 540 on!!
Old 12th December 2008, 01:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
I agree. As much as I'd be happy to see the 340 chassis back in showrooms, there will be very few takers for such a small / cramped / impractical Jeep. I say : Bring the 540 on!!
Yup, a souped up 540 would definitely find more buyers! Wouldn't mind the 340 with sway bars and a more practical steering either!

Therefore, Get anything!!! but just please ( please please ) get something!!!!
Old 12th December 2008, 12:34   #27
BHPian

Here's why I would put down my money on a CL 340 aka Classic,

1) Engine should be silent as compared to the earlier Peugeot units. (too noisy to take on the highway for extended drives).
2) Bring back the very very old Willy's petrol jeep suspensions (early 1970's -they are a class apart)
3) Decent Turbo diesel motor, probably CRDI to cope with future emission standards.
4) Option of 4x4.
5) Hard top option (at dealer).
6) A/c please.
7) Rear seating comfort.

Cheers
M M
Old 7th February 2010, 23:30   #28
BHPian

No takers here or M&M not interested?

Regards

Pranav
Old 8th February 2010, 11:26   #29
Team-BHP Support

Its not a viable project and will be hard to get it through the regulatory authority. This was dropped and Thar was finalized.
Old 8th February 2010, 22:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

jaggu bhai, what if you have a replacement for CL?

Spike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks