Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2009, 19:17   #1
BHPian

Che Jeep dream comes true with CJ3A

hi,
i have been on the lookout for a jeep for myself since long, scannin papers , going to mayapuri , even stopping jeeps on the road and askin if their owners wanted to sell it ,,,,desperation knows no limits .
all the jeeps i selected were rejected by my jeep guru,s ..either rb or by nirankar or by ubs sir , so finally after lots of coaxing ubs sir finally agreed to help me , ( special thanks to rb for that ) and he started on building my jeep at his workshop himself . night after night we had hourly discussions on the specs , as i was lookin at it for a specific purpose of taking it around for a long dreamt of drive from delhi to cover the complete himalyan range in india , staring from j and k , hp , to uttranchal and into all the 7 ne states , over a two month long trip , ( now have broken the trip into 2 parts of coverin north india in one and north east in the other , the one fr north takes off on june 15.)
finally the specs were put down to having
cj3b chasis
cj3a low bonnet body
mdi 3200 diesel engine
mm550 brakes
with seats of the m38
and a scissor top

and so the work started , ( long time back) , going by the thorough work up it gets , the whole jeep parts are torn down to the last nut, parts repleced or refurbished and the put back , mind u each and every one, its an awesome site to see , so the time taken is explained, also the workshop at ub sirs place is a studio , work happens when there is desire to work , no time scedule , no timings of work at all, a very relaxed place where ideas just flow.
so in december i and my wife went there to see our baby , we got a crash course in jeeps over the days we were there , from mornin to night the only topic of conversation was jeep, as a matter of fact my wife,s name is deepam , and her name was made into JEEPAM.
the engine was started for the first time , and so on ,
it was an amazing experience .
i know it sounds very pseudo that i am not directly involoved sitting in delhi and speakin over the phone is not the same feel , but then gettin a jeep from u b sir is a not ordinary either, wud have loved to sit there and see it happen , but then i gotta work to get the moolah coming .

also in the mean while i had applied for a army auction jeep as well, so that would also be through in the next month , from none to two , life seems to lookin up now. lol
the second one i will restore myself

will be posting the pics of the jeep in different stages and also of the whole team involved inthe process soon .

sharat
Old 17th January 2009, 21:02   #2
BHPian

A jeep built by legendary UBS. I shall be keeping a regular check on this thread. Congratulations to you for your first jeep. Hoping to see it in flesh sometime.

cheers
vishwas
Old 18th January 2009, 09:44   #3
BHPian

Hey Sharat,

We share the same dream buddy. For long I have dreamt of transversing (read driving) the Himalayas from west to east. Starting from J&K till Arunachal including Nepal and Bhutan. I have myself done all these individually but want to do it in one go. Lets see when will I be able to do this.

And getting a Jeep done by UBS sir is like a second dream come true in the same life.

I am glued. Do keep posted on the Jeep and the trip with pics.

Cheers!
Old 18th January 2009, 09:50   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Great. So the 'jeep & 4x4' scene in NCR is finally & truly red hot these days. One is hearing some great 'jeep a week' acquisition experiences.

Best of luck & wishes my friend for your 4x4/jeep journey.

Getting a jeep built by UBS ji is like getting to learn the finer points of batting from Sir Don Bradman himself. Nothing could be better than this my friend. You are one lucky fellow.
Old 18th January 2009, 10:19   #5
BHPian

Hey Sharat, I'm inspired; always dreamed of a 4X4 SWB Jeep in the Garage! Post some pics dude.
Old 18th January 2009, 13:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Hey Sharat,

We share the same dream buddy. For long I have dreamt of transversing (read driving) the Himalayas from west to east. Starting from J&K till Arunachal including Nepal and Bhutan. I have myself done all these individually but want to do it in one go. Lets see when will I be able to do this.
Cheers!
hi vinay , it would be great speaking to u , kindly pm me your number, also i am most open to anyone who would like joining in, working on the sponsorship front as of now, in the north eastern leg ubs sir would be joining in as well with his son.

will be posting the pics tonight,
electrical work is on , painting due to start .
Old 18th January 2009, 20:46   #7
BHPian

Waiting with bated breath for the finished product. Could you please post more details on the Trans Himalayan trip?
Old 19th January 2009, 10:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear that. Please post some pics with detailed narrative which would be helpful for future 'jeepers' like me!
Old 19th January 2009, 10:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. You must be one of the few lucky guys to have such support from UBS Sir. Just for query, why the diesel engine swap for the Go-devil petrol engine?
-regards,
Old 19th January 2009, 14:22   #10
BHPian

Hi Sharat

Was nice to talk to you today. NIOC and T-Bhp have a great brotherhood of jeepers.

Sorry I missed this thread. Did you get any pics of the jeepam when you guys were down at UBS' studio?

cheers
Ankit
Old 19th January 2009, 20:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sharat
UBS sir help me too when I was in the thought process of buying my CJ3B. Great man!

Also regarding the army auction, these days are we allowed to bid for single vehicles as I thought that now the army auctions only lots??
Old 19th January 2009, 22:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

NOIDA is these days in the forum for all the right reasons....i wonder why?

looks like jeep bug has bitten NOIDA for all the right reasons....good to hear about your JEEPAM being built, Doc...

waiting to see the photos, soon!

cheers:
Old 20th January 2009, 20:32   #13
BHPian

sorry to be late in getting back ,

today my jeep got its 1st coat of paint , waiting for the new pics from ub sir,
my previous pics i am trying to locate in my folders....(i do lots of amateur photography , so trying to locate those pics is a big task)

rmonie: i am planning to leave delhi on the 15th of june and cover j.k , h.p in this trip , over 20 days , with some high altitude treks in between , lots of photograhy , and without saying ...offroading , in the process of working out some sponsorships . if u are interested , do call me, or send me ur number.
plan to undertake the north eastern leg in november this year.

getsurya: i will try to put in the narrative as soon as i get some time, also the crash course points i got at ub sir,s place .

kandisa: i swapped the engine as i plan to take my jeep out for the trans himalayan trip , so it works out better economically and also on the reliability factor .
u are at noida....why do we not meet up.. send me your number, i put up at sector 30

go slow: it was a pleasure to speak to you , lots of insight i got into the gypsy thing , will be seeing you soon.

harjeev: i read your thread of how you restored the mm550 , i wanted to speak to you as well.
the army auctions in lots you are right, but they have a different quota for their own officers and personnel, they get a preferential dekho and maybe price, so banking on that . had thought of a mm550 too from this quota butr then as i would already have a jeep so thinking of going in for a gypsy king and make it rally ready .
wanted to know of the workshop of your cuson , address and details, so pl do call me sending my number .

parm: noida has arrived on the jeeping front .......lol, soon we will have otr,s from noida...lol
Old 21st January 2009, 17:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
kandisa: i swapped the engine as i plan to take my jeep out for the trans himalayan trip , so it works out better economically and also on the reliability factor .
u are at noida....why do we not meet up.. send me your number, i put up at sector 30
parm: noida has arrived on the jeeping front .......lol, soon we will have otr,s from noida...lol
You got it. And yeah, try to explore some trails in and around Noida. Would be a good test-bed for the jeeps here
-regards,
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:07   #15
BHPian

doc, I have driven to work today in my gypsy. Call me if you want to check it out. I am in sector 127 office area on the greater noida expressway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks