Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2013, 12:29   #331
BHPian

Re: Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
As somebody who had CFL on an offroading Jeep for 3.5 years, these are my views:

1) CFLs are meant for improving your vehicle's ride comfort, nothing else.
2) Your on-road handling will certainly suffer a great deal. Since I had it on CJ340, which can't go too fast, it wasn't a big deal. But I had to be careful while taking fast turns, I had to slow down thanks to the massive bodyroll. If you are having it on Thar, forget about taking fast turns.
3) Since the suspension becomes very soft, height will come down at higher loads. Not an issue if you rarely carry anybody in the rear.
4) There are no advantages or disadvantages offroad. Except, you will be very scared every time you encounter big rocks. You can damage the CFL on rocks, so you have to be very careful. I did numerous events with the CFL and never broke it, only because I kept the CFL in mind.

Would I consider CFL for my MM550? Only if I stay on-road, which is not the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
What is the principle that explains this?

I am surprised to hear the CFL sags with the weight of an MM jeep.
The stance and ride height of my gypsy actually improved on the Gypsy with an all CFL setup. Me thinks a gypsy with original leafs is like a body builder with chicken legs in comparison(as far as looks go - maybe its weak for offroading). But then the Gypsy is not as heavy as an MM.

--R
Considering the ride quality / OTR experience, i really don't feel its worth spending so much. Especially compromising on the robust constitution of the JEEP and making it LADY LIKE. The very Semblance of a JEEP - Robust, Tough, Go Any Where - Do What Ever would adrift.

Advantages of SLS -
1. Credible / used worldwide.
2. Top Dollar Factor.
3. Repair / Maintenance Cost.
4. Take it anywhere feature.
5. Hard Hit Fight.

I do posit, that Ride Quality is a very integral part of the overall driving actuality, but compromising / and at what cost ??
As far as the gypsy goes its height to body width ration can accommodate CFL bounce to a certain calm.
Old 16th March 2013, 13:37   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidashish View Post
As far as the gypsy goes its height to body width ration can accommodate CFL bounce to a certain calm.
I dont think so sir - There are better and easier ways to improve the ride / bounce in a gypsy than CFLs at around 75% cost.
Old 16th March 2013, 15:41   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I dont think so sir - There are better and easier ways to improve the ride / bounce in a gypsy than CFLs at around 75% cost.
That's good to hear. How about a new thread on this? Many Gypsy owners complain about the ride quality at the rear, some concrete info would help them. We here, can also learn a few things.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2013, 21:02   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
That's good to hear. How about a new thread on this? Many Gypsy owners complain about the ride quality at the rear, some concrete info would help them. We here, can also learn a few things.

Spike
+1 Spike. @Vikram: Would be very helpful if you could share some info.
I would really like to improve the ride quality on my Gypsy.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 6th April 2013, 23:44   #335
BHPian

Inverting the eyes is one and
Inverting just the last leaf ie the smallest one is another.
mpant05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 21:55   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
Hey guys, The price of CFLS has become sort of insane now, the last i checked the price was 29K with the rubber coating for offroading purpose.

Does anyone think its worth 30k for two leafs with just 1 year warranty?
I checked with Dr Nano yesterday and he quoted 28 k for all 4 leafs without bill, +12% tax (if going for bill), and transportation on buyer's account.

A pair, either front or rear, is available for 14 k. 100000 kms or 1 yr warrenty !!

cheers!!
MAP
Old 6th May 2013, 19:07   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
kindly elaborate, i would love to try out any methods to improve the ride
Old 17th June 2013, 10:05   #338
Senior - BHPian

I have ordered a set of CFLs from Dr. Pawar. Does anyone know a competent garage in Delhi / NCR? Don't want to take risk, let someone experiment on my car.
Old 17th June 2013, 10:43   #339
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I have ordered a set of CFLs from Dr. Pawar. Does anyone know a competent garage in Delhi / NCR? Don't want to take risk, let someone experiment on my car.
Hi,
As on today i have brought 3 sets from ARC. All fitted in ASC bangalore. Charges - 800rs. Time 2 hrs.
Please try with ASC in your area.
Rajith
Old 17th June 2013, 13:22   #340
Senior - BHPian

Don't know if the Tata ASC will agree, but will surely give a try. I guess no tbhpian from Delhi has one of these fitted.
Old 20th June 2013, 22:27   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I suggest you visit Motorcraft in Sahibabad (Ghaziabad). The guys there are gypsy experts and have done good job of my gypsy as well.
Old 25th June 2013, 23:52   #342
Senior - BHPian

Got the job done at Carnation. Learning by others' experience, stood there all the time, just to ensure they don't fiddle and damage the CFLs.

I have done around 100 kms (on the best and worst roads of Delhi) with the CFLs on, here is my feed back.
- The height of the car from the rear has raised a little.
- The ride has become much more 'springy', more bumpy.
- Even on smooth tarmac like the DND expressway, I kept getting unsettled on the driving seat. More than ever before.
- On the stock springs, where I would get one mild bump, on CFLs now I get two shorter mild bumps. I literally feel I am sitting on a huge spring.
- The up and down shake has increased. The left to right shake has been amplified by a huge margin, even on slight undulations on the road (Even on roads like DND, Greater Noida Expressway).
- While driving over an speed-breaker in slow speed, I get somewhat a push on my lower back when the rear wheels drive over it. This wasn't there earlier.

Now, my requirement was a smoother ride. And it has gone worse.

I haven't spoken to Doctor Pawar about it yet. Wanted to drive a little and try hard to find the difference. I have sent the pictures of the installation to him, to see if it was done correctly. Waiting for him to reply, will see then what can be done.

Attaching a few pictures below, if fellow members can find out something amiss.
Attached Thumbnails
Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-20130624_122710.jpg  

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-20130624_122524.jpg  

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-20130624_122531.jpg  

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-20130624_122534.jpg  

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-20130624_122606.jpg  

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-20130624_122626.jpg  

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-20130624_133942.jpg  

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-20130624_134030.jpg  

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-20130624_134119.jpg  

Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?-20130624_134132.jpg  

Last edited by ashutoshb : 25th June 2013 at 23:55.
Old 26th June 2013, 05:58   #343
Senior - BHPian

Guess your shackles should point the other way around.[8th picture]. This will always cause bumpy unsettled rides.
Old 26th June 2013, 08:07   #344
Team-BHP Support

Geez... It is the wrong size. The correct CFL should have the proper angle at the shackle, like this.

Old 26th June 2013, 08:22   #345
BHPian

The vehicle is on a lift and the axle is suspended , in that case the spring is stretched and the shackle is angled inwards right ?
slalom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks