Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2009, 20:09   #1
BHPian

Need advice:MM 550 BA 10 : 4x4 gear box direct Shift.

Hi jeep gurus i want to check that is their any possibality of replacing the gear shifter mechanism from all that impractical link type system to more practical direct shift type, if yes what are the things i have to replace, and how much it costs me please all parts from M&M OE spares.
Old 28th May 2009, 21:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Hi jeep gurus i want to check that is their any possibality of replacing the gear shifter mechanism from all that impractical link type system to more practical direct shift type, if yes what are the things i have to replace, and how much it costs me please all parts from M&M OE spares.
I personally think it is not possible, but the best source for this query is Mr. Behram Dhabhar.

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 28th May 2009 at 21:02.
Old 29th May 2009, 05:43   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Basically you are moving a shaft fore and aft to engage/disengage 4x4/Low Range so a good mechanical enginer should be able to design a direct shift lever.

The NGT520 which is loosely based on the BA10 has a direct shift so you can look into the option of adapting the shifter for the NGT to the BA10.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 29th May 2009 at 05:44.
Old 1st June 2009, 22:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Basically you are moving a shaft fore and aft to engage/disengage 4x4/Low Range so a good mechanical enginer should be able to design a direct shift lever.

The NGT520 which is loosely based on the BA10 has a direct shift so you can look into the option of adapting the shifter for the NGT to the BA10.

Hi do you know any good mechanical engineer who can do it ? i know it can be done, their are plenty of spares for BA 10 direct shift in M&M parts database. but exactly don't know how to do it this isthe part number as printed in Mahindra 2007 parts data base : 92677 T/M ASSY BA10-2WD DIRECT SHIFT.

Last edited by swastikviji : 1st June 2009 at 22:24. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 13th July 2009, 22:27   #5
BHPian

Ok jeep gurus no answer from experts means its not possible. now tell me that which 4x4 gear box is suitable for my 550 without changing crown pinions and Shafts. i am not ready for any major alterations in mechanicals.
Old 13th July 2009, 23:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok jeep gurus no answer from experts means its not possible. now tell me that which 4x4 gear box is suitable for my 550 without changing crown pinions and Shafts. i am not ready for any major alterations in mechanicals.
Vijay sir, In my personal opinion always go for KMT90 gearbox for a perfect offroader. As of today we don't have any alternate option to this KMT90. It is best suites with XD3P, all you need is to replace it with the propeller shaft.

I don't think you need to worry too much about the mechanical as the same combination is used in Army spec MM550.

What you will loose by replacing the BA-10 with KMT90 is that the overdrive that comes with BA-10.

What you gains is something that BA-10 cannot give you ever, DEPENDABILITY.

Sourcing parts for KMT-90 is way easier compare to BA-10 with transfercase.

KMT-90 --- is the best.
Old 13th July 2009, 23:25   #7
BHPian

Hi Shiva
Can you please find out from your dealer is their any good condition gear box is available with him and price.
Old 14th July 2009, 09:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Changing the gearbox will involve changes to the gearbox mounting as well as a change in the rear differential. The NGt's are great gearboxes but the 4wd versions are exceedingly rare.
Your old gen BA10 has a side shifting mechanism which is a pain as it has a lot of linkages. What I suggest you do is buy a NGT 520 2wd gearbox (about 15K) and replace the last housing of the gearbox with that of your BA10 4ws gearbox housing. This will in effect give you a NGT520 4wd gearbox.
Hope this picture helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice:MM 550 BA 10 : 4x4  gear box direct Shift.-ba10-linkage.jpg  

Need advice:MM 550 BA 10 : 4x4  gear box direct Shift.-gear-linkages-530-transfer-case.jpg  

jyobeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2009, 12:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Not worth it!

Quote:
Though iam not a jeep guru, I strongly feel donot spoil your existing gearbox by giving it to some one who will experiment with it. Instead please sell your existing gearbox if you cannot live with it and BA10's command good price with 4wd. If reliability is the key then go for a brand new NGT530 one from Mahindra. (since yours is XD 3p) Will give you service for years.

P.S- Dont go for KMT-90 second hand gearbox if you travel long distances. Though this gearbox is super stong but NVH levels are pretty high. Put it only if your vehicle is driven for short distances and is for pure off roading.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 14th July 2009 at 12:13.
vinod_nookala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2009, 16:21   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Your old gen BA10 has a side shifting mechanism which is a pain as it has a lot of linkages. What I suggest you do is buy a NGT 520 2wd gearbox (about 15K) and replace the last housing of the gearbox with that of your BA10 4ws gearbox housing. This will in effect give you a NGT520 4wd gearbox.
Hope this picture helps.
Thanks a lot, this is what i am looking for, my gear box is perfectly ok, only problem is that shifting mechanism as you explained, have you done it? how good it is.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th July 2009 at 16:26. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 14th July 2009, 16:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

I was very upset when I first saw the gearbox (Old BA10) with all those linkages(I had purchased the gearbox without even seeing it as the dealer was a well know person). The gearbox was also faulty, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as the dealer got me an NGT530 gearbox as a replacement. I removed the rear housing from the BA10 and fitted it on the NGT 530. Now I have a 4wd NGT530 with direct linkage.
The rear housing is a direct fit with no modifications. However you need to get a NGt520/530 gearbox with aluminium housing. The cast iron NGT's do not have the 3 piece housing.

Last edited by jyobeb : 14th July 2009 at 17:00.
Old 14th July 2009, 17:47   #12
BHPian

If reliability is the key then go for a brand new NGT530 one from Mahindra. (since yours is XD 3p) Will give you service for years.

Hi Vinod lost week only i changed my jeep engine for a new xd3p,now i am poorer by 1 lakh,now i don't think i can afford a new gear box .
Old 14th July 2009, 18:01   #13
BHPian

Jyobeb/Vinod Your Suggestions please .
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice:MM 550 BA 10 : 4x4  gear box direct Shift.-gear-linkages-530-transfer-case.jpg  

Last edited by swastikviji : 14th July 2009 at 18:02.
Old 14th July 2009, 18:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If reliability is the key then go for a brand new NGT530 one from Mahindra. (since yours is XD 3p) Will give you service for years.

Hi Vinod lost week only i changed my jeep engine for a new xd3p,now i am poorer by 1 lakh,now i don't think i can afford a new gear box .
Hi vijay
I heard that you changed to a brand new engine as your old one sucked some water. That was pure bad luck. Going for a new engine was a wise decision as you intend to keep the vehicle for long time.

As far as your gearbox goes if shift quality is the only problem, then i suggest you live with it. Else i have solution, why not exchange with my KMT-90 4wd? You will know how good or bad your existing gearbox is!!

p.s- You have to be really lucky to source a good second hand NGT 530 2wd gear box for you to add your transfer case to it as jyobeb suggested. Happy hunting till then
Old 14th July 2009, 18:18   #15
BANNED

Quote:
for a new xd3p,now i am poorer by 1 lakh
A new XD3P costs only a lakh??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks