Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 15:10   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Very good-looking/functional hard-top, DirtyDan, and I like the matt black finish . Hope they did good pre-treatment before painting...there is lot of surface rust on that sheet metal.

Solid tyres, I guess they are BFG-AT? I guess the spare tyre is bolted in place on the floor and not just lying there.
Yeah, BFG-AT. An all around tyre, good, not great. I am crossing my fingers that the rust proofing is okay. The shop is 2.5 hours away and I did not get a chance to check the rust proofing. He said he would do it....If not, back to the paint shop she goes. The sheet metal work is very good so I am not too concerned about rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Amazing work at such prices, DD.
Why not paint the section above the tail-gate also grey?
Attachment 386884
That's what I asked for. Miscommunications happen. I decided to take it like you see it and not wait for a redo to all black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Great job DD. Looks very neat and practical. Good thing that you found a good body shop that does a good job and is easy on the wallet. My experience was a personal hell !!.

What tire size are you running? I am running 4.27 differentials with the Turbo DI engine and I feel it is a good compromise between power and mileage. I guess since you are mostly in the hills, 4.88 provide the extra grunt.
Tyres are BFG-AT LT235/70/R16 and are mounted on the original wheels replacing the poor quality 185/85/R16 Apollo "Amazers"...which fail to amaze.

I just took a gamble on the 4:88 crown gears and hoped they would not be too radical. I am happy I did so. I still get about 12.1 kpl around town and 14.5 on the road.
Old 13th July 2010, 15:14   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

OT:

DD, how is that rear pintle hook mounted?
Old 13th July 2010, 16:17   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
OT:

I agree, that is definitely an unconventional spot to mount a pintle hook. Aren't they meant for attaching trailers? How would you use it when it's off-center?
Old 13th July 2010, 17:22   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post
I agree, that is definitely an unconventional spot to mount a pintle hook. Aren't they meant for attaching trailers? How would you use it when it's off-center?
A small but heavy gage plate was firmly welded to the end of the chassis rail.
All 4 rail ends are conveniently exposed on the Invader. The hook was bolted to the plate with 4 heavy bolts. If this does not hold, I will get more radical with it but I think it will be okay. I am looking for 3 more identical hooks for the other 3 corners. They are from military vehicles and not too hard to find. They are for vehicle recovery, getting pulled out of mud etc., not for towing trailers in my case. They do not have to be symmetrically placed dead center of the vehicle but it would help. I keep having drunks plow into my back end on their Bajaj scooters. They have bent up my aluminum step and rear plastic cladding. These hooks may provide a sobering experience for them....especially if I hook one and drag him down the street...nah, never will happen.

Tini, after hearing about your troubles and long delays from the work shop that did yours, I took a lot of time choosing this shop, Ashoka Car Repairing Works in Pathenkot, Punjab. A couple of Indian Army officers of my acquaintance put me on to this man and they also stopped by this shop to inspect the ongoing work.
Old 13th July 2010, 17:29   #95
BHPian

Cool.. Makes sense now.

Not thinking of installing a winch? May come handy while driving alone on some lonely trail. Along with the winch, you'd probably also need one of those long steel spikes that you can drive into the ground as you probably won't have many trees around you and rocks could be the wrong shape.
Old 14th July 2010, 14:50   #96
Senior - BHPian

Citizen

Hi DD,

Nice Hard-Top, and nice thinking.

If your application for Indian Citizenship is rejected, just show them your Pintle Hook .

Regards,

Arka
Old 18th July 2010, 19:24   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi DD,

Nice Hard-Top, and nice thinking.

If your application for Indian Citizenship is rejected, just show them your Pintle Hook .

Regards,

Arka
Also the Jerry can bracket.
Nice job on the fabrication.

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 18th July 2010 at 19:26.
Old 21st July 2010, 13:43   #98
Senior - BHPian

hi guys
found a fiber hard top related thread in the jeepforum.com check it out, lots of info on various hard tops there.
see all the pages from 1 to 128, dont skip a single page out-of 128.

some pics.
design
Hard-Tops for Offroaders (Jeeps, Gypsys and more)-ljphotoconceptg.jpg
making the mould
Hard-Tops for Offroaders (Jeeps, Gypsys and more)-roofskin2.jpg
final prototype
Hard-Tops for Offroaders (Jeeps, Gypsys and more)-windowmockup11.jpg

"Safari Cab" custom hardtop project - JeepForum.com

Last edited by jeepster : 21st July 2010 at 13:53.
Old 31st August 2010, 12:32   #99
Senior - BHPian

which would be the best material to make a partial hardtop for the gypsy. i want to make a metal cabin. thinking of the material to be used (Aluminium, SS, MS etc)

This hardtop will cover only the drivers cabin, it will be a twin peice hardtop which can be removed in minutes and should be lockable as well.

Can anyone suggest any ideas please?
Old 6th September 2010, 15:07   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone tried to use Lucite or Lexan for hardtops? I touched base with a local manufacturer who can supply me with these sheets. Apparently Lexan is used for hard tops of sports cars. These are available as transparent sheets and also can be laminated. They are harder than glass (but at fraction of the weight) and resistant to all the weather elements.
Old 6th September 2010, 15:47   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone tried to use Lucite or Lexan for hardtops? I touched base with a local manufacturer who can supply me with these sheets. Apparently Lexan is used for hard tops of sports cars. These are available as transparent sheets and also can be laminated. They are harder than glass (but at fraction of the weight) and resistant to all the weather elements.
With my limited research on this, I can state the following:-
  • Plexiglass and the likes are flexible to an extent; something that hard glass is not.
  • Not as brittle as hard glass.
  • If its thin, it will be flexible. the thinker it gets, the more rigid it becomes - Depending on which part / how / where we use.
  • You can drill though plexiglass easily but the chances of developing cracks is still present but not as high as drilling through hard glass.
  • It can withstand higher tension / stress levels as compared to hard glass
  • Option of having colours
  • Price: Depending on the gauge used for the application, can be relatively cheaper.
  • Reduced weight (you've already mentioned it).
The roof of a 4x4 goes though a lot of stress as the chassis twists during OTRs causing increased stress levels on the frame that is holding it.

Recommended as definate substitute for hard glass though.

Last edited by R32_GTR : 6th September 2010 at 15:48.
Old 6th September 2010, 18:50   #102
Senior - BHPian

Tejas, Is the local manufacturer ready to provide to individuals or will it have to be a bulk order. Plus can you also share the approx costs.

Tks
Old 6th September 2010, 19:14   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Desmo this is a prototype which we will make. There is no manufacturer. We are getting the raw material : lucite or lexan from outside. No idea about cost yet.
Old 6th September 2010, 19:59   #104
Senior - BHPian

Oh Cool. Good project Doc. Let me know when you start it.
Old 9th September 2010, 11:24   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend in Pune just got this made. Metal hard top (fabric lining) with toughened glass and hydraulic rear door. Total cost: Rs. 70,000/- total.
Attached Thumbnails
Hard-Tops for Offroaders (Jeeps, Gypsys and more)-59210_426070129191_763309191_4618709_6581496_n.jpg  

Hard-Tops for Offroaders (Jeeps, Gypsys and more)-59210_426070139191_763309191_4618711_1194053_n.jpg  

Hard-Tops for Offroaders (Jeeps, Gypsys and more)-59210_426070144191_763309191_4618712_2375061_n.jpg  

Hard-Tops for Offroaders (Jeeps, Gypsys and more)-59210_426070149191_763309191_4618713_5238169_n.jpg  

Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks