Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2010, 18:47   #16
BHPian

I have been using the same battery since a year and i paid 4000 on exchange with my old battery which had gone dead. I got 600 for my old battery.
Old 19th February 2010, 13:09   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
GTO,
I had the same Amaron harvestor battery in my jeep until now. I can vouch for it. It was installed in 2006 and had juice in it until recently when electricial told me that one cell had slightly become weak. I am sure even in the current set up it would have lasted me another year.

4 years of hardcore pure off roading and able to take heat like on palar is an achievement.
Thanks, that's encouraging to know, especially since I got only a 2 year warranty with the Harvest. As long as my battery lasts 4 years, I'm happy.
Old 19th February 2010, 13:31   #18
BANNED

Just curious to know. The tractor though off road usually moves on a flat (horizontal) surface. The Jeep normally goes up and down inclines and other uneven surfaces. So basically is it subjected to more abuse than a tractor. How does this battery cope with this? Any more experiences like Vinod? BTW, what battery do the Army Jeep's use as standard?
Old 20th February 2010, 13:22   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
The tractor though off road usually moves on a flat (horizontal) surface. The Jeep normally goes up and down inclines and other uneven surfaces. So basically is it subjected to more abuse than a tractor.
Amaron themselves recommended the Harvest to me. I guess a Tractor also has its share of vibrations, jolts and running on uneven terrain?

Quote:
BTW, what battery do the Army Jeep's use as standard?
Good question, would love to know.
Old 20th February 2010, 14:17   #20
BHPian

I have used a Tata Green 75 ampere TRACTOR battery in my CJ3B.
So far so good. I was told to get the most hardy and durable battery since this is a old school big block engine.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:27   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone tried the BOSCH battery?

Quoting from their website:
Quote:
Truck and tractor batteries: Bosch Ustad and Kranti

Longer life
Higher cranking power
Leak resistant
Low on maintenance. Special hybrid alloy minimises water loss
Extreme vibration resistance. Ribbed container withstands temperature extremes and shocks/ vibration damages
Factory filled and wet shipped
Better corrosion resistance with superior plate design and weld systems
No electrical shorts, with glass matt lined enveloped PE separators
Source: Bosch - Batteries
Old 22nd February 2010, 19:59   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

No personal experience with Bosch, though the brand seems to have decent user reviews on Team-BHP.
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:22   #23
Team-BHP Support

IIRC, Bosch batteries are made by Amaron.
Old 24th February 2010, 14:28   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly off topic question:

I have a iphone charger that i routinely use in my OHC to charge my phone. When i plugged it into my Jeep's socket, the fuse blew. Thank god it was an expensive Capdase charger and prevented damage to my iPhone. I replaced the fuse twice and same result. Then plugged it into the honda and i10 and worked perfectly. I plugged in a portable car flash light (without fuse) and it glowed brighter than in my Honda.

Even the cigarette lighter pops out faster (maybe a coincidence since it is brand new though)

And this happened a few days after i got my jeeps electricals overhauled. So i guess no issue of electrical shorts.

My question is: does the jeep battery produce more current? And if so, how does one use the socket to charge phones, etc safely? Is there a way to step-down the current?

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 24th February 2010 at 14:31. Reason: info added
Old 24th February 2010, 15:18   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
IIRC, Bosch batteries are made by Amaron.
Correct. Amaron batteries are good. So Bosch will be good too.
Old 24th February 2010, 15:35   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
My question is: does the jeep battery produce more current? And if so, how does one use the socket to charge phones, etc safely? Is there a way to step-down the current?
Wrong question actually.

You should be asking whether your Jeep battery has more voltage. That can be easily checked using a multi-meter. The current is dependent on the voltage of the battery and the impedence of your equipment. Basic Ohm's law.
Old 24th February 2010, 16:24   #27
Team-BHP Support

Check if the lighter polarity is correct, flashlight will work, electronic equipments might burst. Also see if the (iPhone charger) adapter is sitting properly and not shorting out the ciggie lighter socket or vise versa.
Old 24th February 2010, 22:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

The tractor battery sounds like a great idea. If you want to go further you can cradle your battery by surrounding it with pieces of old rubber floor mat or inner tube. This will dampen the shocks quite a bit. Fitment may be a problem, though. You can always make your own cushioned battery box.

Exide does not have a good reputation in N. America. I had one fail on me, in fact. Word of mouth here seems to favor Amaron in my experience.

Optima does not have the traditional plates and is built differently altogether. Very rugged, very durable but, frankly, they grossly overcharge IMHO, even before tax.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 24th February 2010 at 22:38.
Old 25th February 2010, 18:26   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
If you want to go further you can cradle your battery by surrounding it with pieces of old rubber floor mat or inner tube. This will dampen the shocks quite a bit.
Super idea to have on the thread! Actually, my battery installer has already cradled the upper battery frame with rubber.
Old 26th February 2010, 03:43   #30
BHPian

I am using Amaron Harvester in my Isuzu 1.8 Diesel Gypsy for last 2 years.No issues with the battery. But the battery cradle/ foundation cracks frequently.Its too heavy for the sheet metal cradle on Gypsy. I think I need to fabricate a stronger cradle with angle iron.

PS-It was too big for the Gypsy battery cradle, had to modify the cradle by pushing it down by an inch or two so that the hood doesn't hit the battery terminals when closed.

Have a look at the size or harvester inside Gypsy Engine room.

Offroaders - Choose your 4x4 battery carefully-red.jpg
JeepCaptain is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks