Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2010, 18:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

And I thought my Safari battery was leaking. Its the OTR's.

I park my Safari for over a month everytime I leave the country. And usually I do not unplug the terminals. Until now it always cranks on half crank when I return after a month.

Questions: Does leaving the vehicle parked for long durations without usage have an effect on the TOTAL LIFE of a battery....?? Or does it not have any effect at all...?
Does leaving the battery plugged in have any negative effect on the electrical/electronic components..?
The OEM battery will turn 2yrs old sometime in March.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 27th February 2010 at 18:35.
Old 28th February 2010, 16:32   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Does leaving the vehicle parked for long durations without usage have an effect on the TOTAL LIFE of a battery....?? Or does it not have any effect at all...?
Sign of a weak battery if I ever saw one, Jay. Your unit is unable to hold the charge over a long period of time. Get it checked up.
Old 28th February 2010, 23:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

But GTO, it starts in half a crank. How can it be weak?
Last month too it started in half a crank. Will find out this time when I get back. If it doesnt start in half a crank, you sure will be right.
But I think i will disconnect the terminal henceforth.
Old 1st March 2010, 03:03   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Internationally, I've heard of Optima offroad-spec batteries. Unfortunately, they aren't available in India.
Optima are made right here in India by Amaron, check the link Amara Raja - Automotive - Optima

These might not be readily available at battery shops but I am sure they can always be back ordered.
Old 1st March 2010, 05:23   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...it starts in half a crank...
OT but what is half a crank? Does this mean only one top compression (due to rotations of the crank) get the engine going? With four cylinders and four strokes every half a crank one cylinder should be in the top compression mode. Personally I have found more than to get the engine running.

Back at topic : Hmmm...interesting as I also see my GV replacement battery leaking a bit near the top. Time to check it out completely and see if this is the cause.
Old 1st March 2010, 09:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
OT but what is half a crank?
By half crank, I meant that you dont have to turn the whole key and hold it there till it starts. It means that the engine fires with just mild actuation of the starter motor. In oldspeak its called 'half self'. Dont ask me what that means. To me it sounds like standing outside the car with half you body inside thru the window turning the ignition key.
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:34   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Optima are made right here in India by Amaron, check the link Amara Raja - Automotive - Optima
Thanks! Glad to know they are available in India too. Are they still exorbitantly priced?

Quote:
These might not be readily available at battery shops but I am sure they can always be back ordered.
Even my tractor battery wasn't available off the shelf. Took my dealer a couple of days to arrange for the same.

Quote:
In oldspeak its called 'half self'.
Mechanic terminology. I think they mean to say "half shelf"
Old 2nd March 2010, 17:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

@GTO
No idea on the price. I think the Amaron helpline should be able to assist on this one.
Old 14th March 2010, 20:37   #39
BHPian

I'd say have a battery built for your 4X4 as per your requirement ... This what we did in the Army for almost all the old vehicles... starting from the Jongas, 1ton's, shaktimans, Kraz... and it worked for us.. 1.5 to 2.5k Max there should be localities doing this in your city as well...
Old 14th March 2010, 21:32   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks! Glad to know they are available in India too. Are they still exorbitantly priced?
err........ GTO (and @khoj), here's a thread that discusses about the Optima Yellowtop:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...f-roading.html

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 14th March 2010 at 21:33.
Old 15th November 2010, 17:08   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
..I had the exact same thought process and bought a 90Ah Powerzone Tractor battery yesterday. Powerzone batteries are made specially for the rural market by Amar Raja Batteries - the same guys who make the Amaron batteries.

This is the one I bought - PZ 900 MF
Hi Tej, Could you please let us know how this battery is holding up?

Have got recommendation for this same battery from another jeeper as well.
Old 15th November 2010, 17:47   #42
Senior - BHPian

Was your damaged battery under warranty? It had 36 months of warranty as per specification. Did you get some discounts from Amaron?

At the same period Amaron was selling battery with 48 months warranty. I have similar one in my 800 with 4 years warranty.

But whatever be the root cause this battery should not have troubled like this. I think serious onus lies on Amaron. There was may be some leakage due to manufacturing defect.
Old 17th November 2010, 12:50   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Hi Tej, Could you please let us know how this battery is holding up?
Well, I haven't used the Jeep much since the battery change - hardly 300 KM. No complaints with the battery so far - always starts on the first crank. During April-May my whole family was on vacation and the Jeep went unattended for over 6-weeks. I forgot to disconnect the battery cable and was sure it would have discharged - but it surprised me and started on the first crank after 6-months of disuse.

I haven't gone on any rough trials, so cannot comment on its physical robustness in a rumble-tumble situation. But I am satisfied with it for my usage.

Cheers
Teja
Old 11th January 2011, 11:53   #44
Senior - BHPian

Amaron Harvest in Jeep -- warranty issues??

Jaggu, I thought we shall move all the battery discussions to a common thread.

---------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I have 35 amp alternator if am not mistaken in my jeep and its not a dynamo/generator. I think 55-60 amp battery would be apt for it.
Quote:
Super thats a great price, i think am almost sold on this now. I will go with 600 or 750 which are 60-75 i guess? Thanks i also saw the site yday, but it was too late so did not update here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Jaggu - I am using the SUMO battery EM75R (i guess). The previous owner had put in a UPS battery so my exchange price was like 700 bucks for the old battery. I paid 4.5K for the new one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Does the 4500 include the 700? Meaning, was the battery 4500Rs and you paid 3800 cash and 700 in credit for the oldie? Or was it 5200?

If 3800+Old, then it is a super deal for a 75Ah...!!
Quote:
Yes Amaron Harvest or Powerzone (Tractor model) both are built by Amar raja batteries Which ever is cheaper/ has 55/60 amps. And there goes all my excitement about cheap battery

Can you check in Hosur Santhosh, if it is not too much of trouble?
----------------------

Went to the Amaron shop in hosur, spoke to the owner and also a company representative who had been there to settle all the last weeks claims.

1st off - shop keeper said he will NOT sell a harvest to a jeep owner. I was taken aback and when confronted him with customer rights he explained if a tractor battery broke in a jeep the warranty will not be honored.

I said that is the owner problem and not his, to which he put forth a 2nd argument. I will support that with the selling prices of different batteries.

Harvest 75Ah - 5,400Rs
Hi-Way Series (Recom for jeeps) - 80Ah - 5,550Rs
Harvest 90Ah - 5,650Rs

His argument was tractors dont need the battery other than starting the engine (which seemed fair) and the cost is only towards the external build quality and not the 'power cell' quality...!!

The Hi-way is designed more for head-lights/fog lamps/audio/continous current discharge as per him.

Of course, any breakage will be covered under warranty...!!
Old 11th January 2011, 12:28   #45
Team-BHP Support

Re: Offroaders - Choose your 4x4 battery carefully

I am also confused after hearing this so went googling and found this info

Tractor Battery vs. Automotive Battery | eHow.com

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks