Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2011, 20:21   #1
BHPian

Fitting the Jerry Can

There are two parts to the question...

a) Where do I get the NATO style metal jerry can and its bracket, in Mumbai?
b) Where do I fit the jerry can bracket on a ford endeavour?

I know that some of us on the thread would say a) why not a plastic jerry can... that's because my dad & me have had a bad experience with plastic jerry cans, and b) why not keep the jerry can inside the vehicle... that's because I do not want the fumes killing the atmosphere inside, and especially this time when my 5yo son is going to be with me in our Mumbai - Khardung La - Mumbai expedition (May 2011)
Old 5th February 2011, 23:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fitting the Jerry Can

This here might help

Places to Purchase Trekking Gear in India - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com

or

www.technotools.co.in

BTW where in Navi Mumbai?

Last edited by khoj : 5th February 2011 at 23:57.
Old 6th February 2011, 08:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Make a mount for it in place of the spare tire which you can place in the last row and tie down with bungee cords. If you get the petrol from the low-lands then you may need to use some antifreeze.
Old 6th February 2011, 09:31   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Make a mount for it in place of the spare tire which you can place in the last row and tie down with bungee cords. If you get the petrol from the low-lands then you may need to use some antifreeze.
I think he want to carry diesel for his endy and not petrol. so an air tight plastic can placing in the last row would be suffice.
Old 6th February 2011, 09:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Even diesel is aromatic and the smell can get overpowering after a while. Better to have it outside the vehicle. Even with airtight cans somehow the smell breaks out...and it is horrid!
Old 6th February 2011, 11:16   #6
BHPian

Have seen ladder behind most Endys. why can't a jerry can be tied to it if there is a ladder available.
Old 6th February 2011, 21:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

There has to be "breathing hole" in the jerrycan, else it will bulge in summer and shrink and seal it self in cold. Though steel ones are preferred by most, I have seen Expeditions use low profile plastic/frp modules, meant for carrying on the roof rack. Jerry cans carried at the back are fire hazard during accidents, hence cans should be carried on the sides.

Some ideas
Expeditionware Jerrycan Holder -- EE -- Expedition Exchange Incorporated

Carrying Extra Fuel in Jerry Cans - Safety

Jerry Can 20 Litre for Land Rover Defender 2.5 Turbo Diesel - GJC20 - all There are can carrier also in this catalog.
Old 7th February 2011, 18:58   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Paco, be sure to place the Jerry can outside the vehicle. You can always build a custom mount.

BTW, this thread has a lot of useful info on carrying extra fuel along.
Old 7th February 2011, 19:25   #9
BHPian

Paco assuming you want to fit a jerry can like the ones we have in our jeeps.

You get a jerry can bracket which holds the jerrycan in place. This bracket in fixed to your boot door with bolt and nuts.

There are 2 types of jerry cans , one is the cheap Indian one which always leaks and the other is an American one which has a breather + inbuilt funnel. This one is expensive and you will not have problems with leakage.

I shall post the pics of both tomorrow.
Old 9th February 2011, 06:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Diesel fuel, unlike gasoline, is actually hard to ignite so there is little safety concern on carrying it outside...only a theft concern. Plastic cans crack. They crack especially at the pour mouth. The inside plastic cap lip cracks and the outside caps are generally not built to tight enough tolerances and they leak.

Metal military jerry cans are superior by far IMHO. Make sure you don't over-fill them. If the sun heats them up the fuel can expand and force a leak.

History lesson: The term "Jerry" is the British slang term for Germans.

In World War II the German "Afrika Corps" mobile units made great use of their handy metal fuel-water cans. Many of these were captured by British and American troops. Hence the label, "Jerry" cans. Their utility was obvious so the allies started producing their own version. They make great field seats, tables, porta-potties. In a pinch, they can be used to fashion parts from in the field. Arka has been known to whittle whole KMT90 gear boxes from jerry cans. The girl in Mahindra's "happy legs" commercials is not real. Vinod built her from out of the Mahindra parts bin and a few jerry cans.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 9th February 2011 at 06:18.
DirtyDan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2011, 10:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
There are 2 types of jerry cans , one is the cheap Indian one which always leaks and the other is an American one which has a breather + inbuilt funnel. This one is expensive and you will not have problems with leakage.

I shall post the pics of both tomorrow.
I had used Indian Military cans over 40 years ago, picked up in Dehradun. They were excellent, with a breather pipe inside and a rubber gasket on the lid. The Indian design has a bayonet self tightening mouth which has fool proof closure.
Old 10th February 2011, 09:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

Thanks, Khoj! The resources are useful. I am based out of Kharghar.
Old 10th February 2011, 09:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Have seen ladder behind most Endys. why can't a jerry can be tied to it if there is a ladder available.
1. The ladder behind most Endys is nuisance for those sitting inside. And to top it up, it doesn't have the requisite strength to carry a 30kg load on an extensive trip.

2. I have the new Endy, and there is no scope for adding a ladder (under normal circumstances). In fact Ford now doesn't recommend too (courtesy the 'rattling' complaints)
Old 10th February 2011, 09:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
There has to be "breathing hole" in the jerrycan, else it will bulge in summer and shrink and seal it self in cold. Though steel ones are preferred by most, I have seen Expeditions use low profile plastic/frp modules, meant for carrying on the roof rack. Jerry cans carried at the back are fire hazard during accidents, hence cans should be carried on the sides.

Some ideas
Expeditionware Jerrycan Holder -- EE -- Expedition Exchange Incorporated

Carrying Extra Fuel in Jerry Cans - Safety

Jerry Can 20 Litre for Land Rover Defender 2.5 Turbo Diesel - GJC20 - all There are can carrier also in this catalog.
Thanks Aroy... The Expeditionware guys should have an outlet in India. The safety bit was nice; static current is a killer. Many don't pay heed to the points mentioned there, and although accidents don't happen everytime a mobile rings close to a fuel bunk, but hey! that's why they are called accidents. By the way, any resource on getting the jerry can holder in India (like the ones shown in your link). The NATO style Jerry Cans are available from Evenflo Engineering, Pune (TBHP Handle: Darxide).

Last edited by Paco : 10th February 2011 at 10:21.
Old 10th February 2011, 20:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
History lesson: The term "Jerry" is the British slang term for Germans.

Their utility was obvious so the allies started producing their own version.
I believe the copying work was done by a committee. It retained the Allies original (badly designed) screw on cap. Or maybe the American habit of wasting fuel (in whichever way possible) is hardwired into their genes.

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed