Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2011, 12:25   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

If we could design one that allows all that, would be great - but so would the cost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I agree ^^

BTW, one needs to ensure the HT withstands a Rollover, especially with the power the THAR generates. A clever design will help the vehicle roll back onto its wheels .
Dr Jones - like the design of the tops you posted - will try to modify our design into something similar.

The moon roof is very possible, will look good and would also likely cut down our costs - all the things I like!

We are now looking at using some sheet metal to cut down costs, so a metal ring ring with a clear poly carbonate area is possible for the front. Just need to check on rigidity and latching.

For me the most important thing about the hard top is security as I would have to park my jeep (once my wife test drives and agrees on the purchase) outside on the road. I am also interested in having the largest possible "glass" area. And third, the top should be able to come apart and be stowed away in the cabin so I can carry it with me to put back where-ever I stop.

ACM & Dr. Jones - Not everyone will change the seat configuration and not everyone will install a roll cage. If there is a roll cage, it makes it much easier to design the top around it, using the roll cage for rigidity.

The only way I can afford to build more than just a prototype is if people let me know they are interested and I can get lower quotations for larger quantities. Otherwise, it will just be a one or two off.

Thanks,
Manas
Old 26th March 2011, 18:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
I would any day prefer this. With a sun-moon roof on the cockpit it will just look awesome. I think the rare piece is slide lock kind. I am also impressed with the roll cage work they have done on this
This undoubtedly ends all discussions on what the most aesthetic hard top is!!
Old 27th March 2011, 11:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
I would any day prefer this. With a sun-moon roof on the cockpit it will just look awesome. I think the rare piece is slide lock kind. I am also impressed with the roll cage work they have done on this
Did a quick check on vinayvtec's posting. Please check the following link: MAHINDRA ITALIA
The Thar is advertised with the hard top in the Mahindra Italy web site. Perhaps Mr. Behram Dhabhar may be able to get us a connect to the supplier??
Old 28th March 2011, 20:46   #19
BHPian

Version 2...Version 3 to come in a few days with fittings and bells and whistles - hope that will be the final one!

Will require removal of the side facing seats - forward facing seat only. There will be a loss of storage space...but will be adequate for my needs.

This is only the rear half...the front half will be a standalone and will have a frame that bolts on to the body. The entire panel will be removable as well.

Features:

* Love the fastback look, so designed like a mustang fastback - the angle follows the shape of the roll cage - we have made the angle very extreme on this model (45 deg) - the next version actually has a longer top and less severe angle coming up the back (probably 60 to 70 deg)
* Smaller 1/3 glass at the back - non removable
* Removable windows at the sides
* Solid top - only a removable panel - no sun/moon roof
* Rear window size larger - with a top opening door (with hydraulic dampers) like a regular car boot which will lock - not removable

What is not shown in the pic is the inside of the part that fits onto the B pillar - will have a pillar with ducting - for A/C if I want rear vents - or to put speakers in the top (see attached pic of Jeep), or lighting for the rear...whatever I want to do at the time!

Got a quote from 1 FRP guy in Bangalore - says he will make a mold and prototype for 2.5lakhs. Production for every piece after will be 60 to 70 thousand. These are estimates and final pricing will be decided after I complete the model fully including the fittings.

A big thanks to BlackRaven for giving us time to measure and fiddle with his Thar early on a bright, hot Sunday morning. That made it a lot easier to visualise. And especially since he had the half top on and had to change it to the full soft top - helped us locate mounting points already on the Thar that we could use for the hard top.

Feedback please!

Manas
Attached Thumbnails
Thar Hardtop Design-model.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-sunroofinsidedetail.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-rear-side-view.jpg  

Last edited by manasm : 28th March 2011 at 20:52.
Old 28th March 2011, 21:45   #20
BHPian

2.5L for what?, I do not think that it might cost so much to make a die if so what's the use of making a FRP top than a metal top.

World over many cars are still built by hand a good example would be morgan, AC cobra and till recently aston martin, look at those shapes and hard top for Thar is nothing, no offences but still I think the price is too much.

I have also planned a HT in SS sheet and the budget is max 50K tops.

Cheers.
Makesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2011, 22:04   #21
BHPian

The 2.5L includes
1. model in smaller scale in FRP - hand moulded - then inspection and checks happen
2. die made - then die is inspected and approved
3. prototype made from dye (1:1 scale)

The die then belongs to me along with the prototype. Can put it into full production after that anywhere if I require.

But Good luck Makesh on your top and your budget.

Cheers,
Manas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makesh View Post
2.5L for what?, I do not think that it might cost so much to make a die if so what's the use of making a FRP top than a metal top.

World over many cars are still built by hand a good example would be morgan, AC cobra and till recently aston martin, look at those shapes and hard top for Thar is nothing, no offences but still I think the price is too much.

I have also planned a HT in SS sheet and the budget is max 50K tops.

Cheers.
Old 29th March 2011, 09:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Thar CRDe LHD vehicle. This vehicle was made for Europe Homologation.
Thats the one I drove about two years back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
the angle follows the shape of the roll cage - we have made the angle very extreme on this model (45 deg) Feedback please!
45 degrees gives a pronounced hunched back look, too steep and also decreases the rear cabin space.
Regards,
Old 29th March 2011, 09:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
45 degrees gives a pronounced hunched back look, too steep and also decreases the rear cabin space.
Regards,
+1, the 45 degrees looks good only as a roll cage. The HT should be different. BTW @ Manas..What is the price you plan to sell the HT at? 2.5L
Old 29th March 2011, 10:07   #24
BHPian

The 45 deg is only for testing how it looked on the jeep (as in the pic I attached). We will in reality use between 60 and 70 deg angle.

As mentioned in my earlier post - I am quite ok with losing some of the upper rear space in the jeep - I am interested in looks as well as performance of the HT - If I need additional luggage space, will mount a roof rack. By performance, I mean it should be rigid and strong enough, plus light weight, and the removable panels should be easy and quick to take on and off.

This is not planned for sale - I am making this for myself...however, I am hoping to interest others who might want one for themselves and can contribute which will help me cut my overall costs down...

I would need someone better than me at sales and marketing to start selling...

Have attached a pic of the top I am using as a basic model...
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
+1, the 45 degrees looks good only as a roll cage. The HT should be different. BTW @ Manas..What is the price you plan to sell the HT at? 2.5L
Attached Thumbnails
Thar Hardtop Design-jeep-top.jpg  

Last edited by manasm : 29th March 2011 at 10:19.
Old 29th March 2011, 11:10   #25
BHPian

This is the model we will be looking to get final quotes for...this has the angle fixed to 70 deg.

Anyone know any FRP guys who can give me better quotes?

Thanks,
Manas
Attached Thumbnails
Thar Hardtop Design-model2.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-9.jpg  

Last edited by manasm : 29th March 2011 at 11:11.
Old 29th March 2011, 11:46   #26
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
This is the model we will be looking to get final quotes for...this has the angle fixed to 70 deg.
Would recommend reducing the size of the side glasses, those appear too big
Old 29th March 2011, 12:00   #27
BHPian

Name:  2010JEE006a_640_02.jpg
Views: 53697
Size:  35.0 KB
Thar Hardtop Design-3084601386_f7097fb497.jpg
Thar Hardtop Design-00114310-1.jpg
I think The HT hight of Jeep Wrangler is almost same as it's Body Hight,Thats the reason why almost all the types of HT/ST will look good on a Wrangler.But in the case of Thar The body hight is very less compared with ST/HT Hight so you should be very careful on design Other wise it will look Bad and after few days you yourself will get bored. So the easy and best idea is try to make the replica of the Italian thar's HT.

- Sreejesh
Old 29th March 2011, 12:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Would recommend reducing the size of the side glasses, those appear too big
. It makes the top look odd and seeing the renderings, i surly would wait till a final product is made to put my money down.

Manasm i am a little confused here, as pictures you put of the top are single side glass, but when it goes on the car it has a body in the center. I think your costs would be lower if you use a single piece of glass. There needs to be more body and if you could have the roof in a straight line and not following the center piller height it would look much better and would be easier to make too. Just my two bits here and since i cannot visualise what you see, i'd have to wait till a product is ready.
Old 29th March 2011, 12:15   #29
BHPian

@Sreejesh - the difference in heights is the reason that there is a straight area in the back before the 70 deg angle starts...this makes the heights look equal (almost) and gives a better look to the Thar. You also missed out measuring the Thar from below the bumper like you did for the Wrangler.

I didn't really like the look of the HT on the Italian Thar at all. Thats why I am looking at something different and if I am paying to get something done, might as well get it done how I like it. Problem is that I have something in my head, and am not very good at modelling software.

@Speedy - I know it looks confusing...am still looking at window positions and looks. Like I mentioned before, I like the Mustang Fastback looks (had one a while ago) and want to see if I can replicate those aggressive but smooth looks on this top. I am experimenting with the one and 2 windows on the sides. The cost difference would be marginal - or so I was told.

Also, I thought the roof was in a straight line...will check the drawings again and confirm!

The reason for posting here is to get feedback like yours, Srejeesh's and DKG's. It might have something that I have not looked at or thought of.

Hope this answers your questions. Keep the questions and comments coming please...

Thanks,
Manas

Last edited by manasm : 29th March 2011 at 12:17.
Old 29th March 2011, 12:22   #30
BHPian

If you are not yet finalized on the design, then why not try this?

EDIT: Got the reason from above post.. But whats there to dislike?
Thar Hardtop Design-00114310.jpg

Also consider adding these channels for rain water.
Thar Hardtop Design-0011439.jpg

I mean its already liked by many here. Angle is also not that much.. still not suitable for side facing rear benches.

Please give it a try in 3 piece rear as per your original plan.

This is how it should look from the side with sliding windows.
Thar Hardtop Design-lg_profile.jpg

The vertical length of the rear windows can be kept similar in line with front side windows.

Good Luck

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 29th March 2011 at 12:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks