Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 00:53   #46
BHPian

Re: Thar Hardtop Design

manasm,
i can lend my MM540 for your measurements.
right now, i have started restoring(complicating the final finish) of my contessa, so my MM540 is lying unused.
you can have my jeep for a month or so, till the 1st week of june, no problem.
Also no need of any rental for this - Seriously !!!
if the HT comes out as we all dream, then we can start asking mahindra to give us the chassis + engine combo so that we can make the better Thar than what the company dishes out...
Best Regards and Advanced Congrats for the Successful HT Venture !!!

Last edited by shekaran : 28th April 2011 at 00:56. Reason: spell check
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:13   #47
BHPian

Dan,

Lets see...will try to ensure it will not leak! I will 'hose test' it first and will let you know how the tests go. But, if you are serious about wanting one, will be able to do one with a full solid roof, but will have to speak to the frp guy about how much more it might cost (hopefully will remain the same). I wont have to buy any tempered glass or rubber beading or fasteners, so that cost will be less.

Apart from your question:

So far...production of the pattern started - target is 15to 20 Kgs weight or less if at all possible...This includes the glass, rear door and fixtures. Fingers crossed that it works out to be that light. The frp guy also has promised me that once it is done, I can bring 3 friends to stand on the top and it will hold the weight without a problem. Only issue remaining to tackle is the weather proofing...dont want the HT to crack under extreme sun..

Will keep you updated if anyone wants updates. Since the thread is pretty dead, not sure! If it is just 1 or 2 people, can PM or email updates if you give me your email id.

Regards,
Manas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Every one of these I have seen in India leaks badly. This is not good up here where the monsoon comes hard and stays long. You got a no sun roof version?
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:16   #48
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
I would any day prefer this. With a sun-moon roof on the cockpit it will just look awesome. I think the rare piece is slide lock kind. I am also impressed with the roll cage work they have done on this
Vinay, could you please tell me where was this done and what would be the price etc.?

Thanks for posting them.

@Manasam,

thanks for posting them. I am 90% on the purchase spree for a Thar. Wifey is not giving her go ahead. However, I am glued to the updates. As soon as I have her nod, I am booking it

Last edited by droolingvoyager : 3rd May 2011 at 12:18.
Old 5th May 2011, 23:24   #49
BHPian

Great looking hardtop, rounded corners fits well. How about trying a design a similar one which could fit a roof rack on top and sunroof. I have some sketches which i will upload once i get my Access.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:02   #50
BHPian

Can anyone confirm the height of the B pillar as marked in red in the attached pic.

We have measured 2 vehicles and have found both to be different...so need some confirmation.

Thanks,
Manas
Attached Thumbnails
Thar Hardtop Design-b-pillar-ht.jpg  

Old 27th May 2011, 09:54   #51
BHPian

hi manasm
have been following ur thread with interest
quite like the way the design is coming up, but will it be squeakan rattle proof
if the cost could be brought down a bit u have a customer waiting in the wings, also what about the seat configuration, will it be like the export thar?
It bugs me why M&M dont give out the export version of the thar to uo desis, is it too good for the likes of us?
Was speakind to the nearest dealer in Vijayawada, he hasnt heard of the thar, so much for marketing!
maverick56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 18:38   #52

hey manas,

how is the work on hard top going

even i am looking for a frp hard top for thar

hitesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Dan,

Lets see...will try to ensure it will not leak! I will 'hose test' it first and will let you know how the tests go. But, if you are serious about wanting one, will be able to do one with a full solid roof, but will have to speak to the frp guy about how much more it might cost (hopefully will remain the same). I wont have to buy any tempered glass or rubber beading or fasteners, so that cost will be less.

Apart from your question:

So far...production of the pattern started - target is 15to 20 Kgs weight or less if at all possible...This includes the glass, rear door and fixtures. Fingers crossed that it works out to be that light. The frp guy also has promised me that once it is done, I can bring 3 friends to stand on the top and it will hold the weight without a problem. Only issue remaining to tackle is the weather proofing...dont want the HT to crack under extreme sun..

Will keep you updated if anyone wants updates. Since the thread is pretty dead, not sure! If it is just 1 or 2 people, can PM or email updates if you give me your email id.

Regards,
Manas
Old 6th June 2011, 23:51   #53
BHPian

Guys,

Have a look at this link...It would open up more ideas to the basic design of the hardtop

vj_k2001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 12:19   #54
BHPian

Hi Hitesh,

Work is going on...

the pattern is complete and we have just got the custom made glass.

We plan to make the mould and first prototype by the coming weekend. I will post pics later this week since I have been busy with my day job and not had time to do anything with the HT.

Once I post the pics, any feedback you have will help.

Thanks,
Manas

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmaniac View Post
hey manas,

how is the work on hard top going

even i am looking for a frp hard top for thar

hitesh

Last edited by manasm : 7th June 2011 at 12:20.
Old 7th June 2011, 13:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

Amazing stuff Manasm, i am sorry did not reply cause of No Jeep in my pocket :P Any ways i would be keen to get the hard top installed after i get the Thar so i will need to wait for another one year i hope they dont stop the production. and also you keep on producing some HT.
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 21:55   #56
BHPian

Well folks...sorry for the wait!

Pics do the talking I guess...but a few things we are doing on the HT:

We are calling it "The Armadillo"
  • fibreglass thickness of 6mm
  • Sunroof on the front - made from poly card sheet - might be toughened glass if we can get it done correctly
  • exterior matte-texture smudge resistant finish
  • vibe and sound dampening interior lining and carpeting - in a selection of colors
  • auto grade glass windows
  • side glass is removable - cannot roll up or down - will only be on or off - glass dimensions 2ft long x same height as the front windows
  • 1 internal light for the rear with electrical connection to the B pillar
  • will mount with existing holes on the body - no need to drill additional holes
Some of the goals of the HT are:
  • 2 people should be able to mount and fit it without a problem - simple allen keys to fix it
  • max weight about 20 to 22 kilos (without the glass)
  • will hold about 200 kilos weight on it...so for you amateur photographers out there - you should be able to get out the front sun roof and sit...but this is still being worked out on the first prototype
  • the installation will require removal of side facing seats - will need to make them forward facing seats (stay tuned)
  • the glass has grab handles to pick up and put down
In the photo with the glass, you should be able to see the fittings to secure the glass from the inside.

Feedback please....

Thanks,
Manas
Attached Thumbnails
Thar Hardtop Design-dsc_0379.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-dsc_0383.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-dsc_0385.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-dsc_0386.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-dsc_0387.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-dsc_0392.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-dsc_0393.jpg  

Thar Hardtop Design-dsc_0394.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 10th June 2011, 07:46   #57
BHPian

Hi Manas ,

Looks like you are going the right way , hope to see the finished one soon .
I was waiting for your update ,good luck on your project and let's all hope it turns out to be good looking and functional .

Cheers !
slalom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 11:54   #58
BHPian

Manas, Looks pretty good. Let me know if you want to try it on my Thar. well mounted glasses, good hardware, quality paint finish and am sure it will look great.
BlackRaven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 17:49   #59
BHPian

hi manas
the finish on the hardtop looks pretty good
if the specs on its wt bearing capacity hold good you are on to a winner
Are you doing the front facing seats mod too?
I am a fence sitter watching your efforts with great interest!
am not a technical boffin ,thats why.
Old 14th June 2011, 18:05   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
We are calling it "The Armadillo" Manas
HI Manas again some good stuff. but would it be possible to post up some better pics?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks