Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2015, 23:45   #46
BHPian

Re: How to Jeep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.phantom View Post
And is Mayapuri any good for the fabrication part?

I am not looking at making an exact replica. I suppose Indian made stuff will work. Won't the likes of Bimbra 4X4 suffice?
Nope.You will be wasting a lot of money and the end result will never be satisfactory.
Have seen some Thars modified in Kerala but those involved major modifications,importing original parts,months of labor.
Old 15th February 2015, 21:43   #47

Well I guess then I have to go through all the TeamBHP directories to find a suitable body fabricator chap. Even I am apprehensive about getting anything done from Mayapuri.

Any reliable reference will definitely help.
Old 16th February 2015, 07:36   #48
Senior - BHPian

The job can be done at Mayapuri, yes. They have some very good fabricators. If all you're seeking from the project is an LWD wrangler lookalike with PS, PW and AC then that's whats easiest done at mayapuri. You just need a donor jeep, a few print outs of the specific wrangler and a lakh or two for fabrication. If it's 4x4, engine work, lockers, leafs springs, 4x4, that's when things start getting "somewhat" technical.

From personal experience, I trust mayapuri more that any of these new fancy jeep modifications outfits that have cropped up.

On full body fabrication, doubt Bimbra 4x4 has ever done anything like this. They are damn good at productising their designs (read hard top and accessories) ans selling and installing them. Anything else and they'll start falling short on expectations. Azad4x4 would lap up this project but I have no experience with them so will not comment anything about their workmanship, prices, or turnaround time.

Last edited by manveet : 16th February 2015 at 07:37.
manveet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 14:01   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
The job can be done at Mayapuri, yes. They have some very good fabricators. If all you're seeking from the project is an LWD wrangler lookalike with PS, PW and AC then that's whats easiest done at mayapuri. You just need a donor jeep
I am planning to procure a Mahindra Armada GRAND,in which PS,PW & AC were standard fitments. All I need is a reliable contact in Mayapuri or some of the body work to mainly work on:-
  • fenders
  • rear
  • front grill

Quote:
If it's 4x4, engine work, lockers, leafs springs, 4x4, that's when things start getting "somewhat" technical.
for that I will definitely look for a "proper" mechanic in Delhi or rather, I might get it done down south.

Quote:
doubt Bimbra 4x4 has ever done anything like this.
They haven't. I checked.

Quote:
Azad4x4 would lap up this project but I have no experience with them so will not comment anything about their workmanship, prices, or turnaround time.
I'll check with them too.Thanks a lot Manveet. I hope you would be able to provide me with references.
Old 16th February 2015, 14:20   #50
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ra-armada.html

Here is one done from south.

IMO try getting a used Thar CRDE and then mod it.Will be more reliable and cheaper to modify.
Even then it needs months of labor. I know a Thar that was modded here.They had to cut the pillars and change the angles to get the look right.
The original soft top which was imported costed about 50k!
Old 16th February 2015, 17:31   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: PIC : A neatly modified Mahindra Armada

Dear the.phantom (nice name, reminds me of the "Ghost Who walks") - hello to you. If you are really serious, I can put you in touch with somebody in Mumbai who can pull this off but you must be very clear on what you want and appreciate the cost effectiveness. If done properly, it will be a relevation. If not done properly, you'll lose money very fast and get stuck with junk! Please do not get swayed by big talk, be very careful.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 17:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

The commander 750 DP would be a good platform for such a project. Use the Scorpio A pillar and windshield to achieve the desired rake angle to the A pillar.

cheers!
Old 19th February 2015, 16:37   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
The commander 750 DP would be a good platform for such a project.
The AG was the obvious choice because of PS, PW & AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear the.phantom (nice name, reminds me of the "Ghost Who walks") - hello to you.
thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
If you are really serious, I can put you in touch with somebody in Mumbai who can pull this off but you must be very clear on what you want and appreciate the cost effectiveness.
That will be great. I was hopeful about mumbai people. But let me check out delhi on my own.(still looking to save money)

Btw this i what i could render through basic paint
Attached Thumbnails
PIC : A neatly modified Mahindra Armada-12.jpg  

PIC : A neatly modified Mahindra Armada-white.png  

Attached Images

Old 1st February 2016, 00:25   #54

2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sports inspired mod

My quest started with finding a convertible car that’s functional, good looking, performant - at the same time doesn’t hurt the pocket too much. Unfortunate that this market is not at all developed in India. The indigenously developed models like “San Storm: seems to have been discontinued - manufacturers seem to be in a state of confusion, whether to target high end consumer - i.e. low volume, high margin discretionary/luxury market like in developed countries or go for high volume/low margin cost conscious Indian consumers. Unfortunately their choice seem to have been to do the safe thing by going with something that is practical - what the common man could afford. This unfortunately means the models introduced were completely missing the point and hence became instant failures - rather than trying to truly innovate in this segment - try to bring affordable yet sporty looking convertible, they seem to have blamed the demand and went into a shell.

The only viable alternative I see today is to buy a foreign model convertible car at a premium price (be it Mini Cooper, Mustang, Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, Jaguar, Maserati, Ferrari, Bentley, Rolls-Royce, Lamborghini, Bugatti). These are way out of my budget. Besides, call me a patriot, but from a principle stand point, I’m against buying things that are not at least made for Indian consumer from the ground up - even if I were to find something affordable price wise. DC Avanti seems to be doing interesting things in this space but they seem to be playing to their strength and going for the premium market - their existing customer base that wants to have "what no one already have", at whatever the cost may be - premium custom mods and unique design and what not. They seem to be pricing it out of common man's reasonable discretionary budget…

I then started looking at Jeep as another alternative, rekindling my childhood fantasies about owning one. While this is a reasonable option, the open jeeps (the Mahindras/MM-540/550 and the Willys) are notoriously unfriendly as a daily driver - city pollution makes open jeeps not practical, soft tops are not effective for A/C. Hard top, PS, PW, Stereo etc., are all possible but comes as extra and aftermarket fittings with various maintenance woes. They certainly are wonderful for off-roading or other such rough terrain applications - in a way, these days city roads are becoming like that, lol. This is subjective opinion, of course. I see plenty of folks using old Jeeps inside city - even for family needs.

The new Mahindra Thar 2015 seems to be addressing most of these concerns - it is more of a city friendly drive that can also satisfy offloading curiosity. Thar still fails as my ideal drive - fitting passengers in the rear seat is extremely uncomfortable - my requirement is to comfortably fit two adults in the front seats and 2 kids / occasional adults in the rear - and able to have a comfortable ride for medium long drives, say few hours.

Ideally, I would like Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited type setup. I hear Jeep is entering Indian market. Perhaps, they would introduce this very model but not sure whether price wise it will be reasonable - may be it will be.

In the mean time, from existing indian models - Mahindra jeep Armanda seems to come close but the ones that are available in the secondary market are very old and beaten up. Perhaps there are good ones out there but they often lack creature comfort like power steering, power window, A/C etc. These models have been replaced by the undisputed category leader - Bolero. Armada to Wrangler type mods have been done before. I want to try something that’s not been attempted commonly - why not?

So wrangler Unlimited concept inspired Bolero mod is my current passion. This would require significant amount of modification. I’ve extensively combed through the internet (including team-bhp, of course!) and researched all the mod photos I could find. None has done a true wrangler mod starting from Bolero. Most of these are armada/commander mod. Not putting down some of the excellent mods out there but saying that I’ve not come across any particular project that modified the non tapering broad front bonnet of the bolero to look like Wrangler Jeep. there have been attempts to make it look like Hummer H1/H2, Mercedes jeep etc. I also want to come up with convertible inspired elements in my design.

This will be my passion for the next set of months! To this end, I’ve bought a 2005 Bolero - sketched/scoped out the project - narrowed down the body shop in Bangalore, and got the project off the ground. More to follow - watch this space

I’ve always been amazed by the depth and passion of TeamBHP community. Wherever I see a team-bhp sticker on a car, I’ve longed for a time when I can be part of this community in a meaningful way. Would love for a chance to consult and contribute back to this awesome community - as I go through this quest and beyond!
Attached Thumbnails
PIC : A neatly modified Mahindra Armada-wranglerl1600.jpg  

cbecat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 14:00   #55
BHPian

Re: 2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sports inspired mod

Cool, is the attached pic final version you are working upon ?
Will surely keep lookout for your progress . Pls keep sharing
Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 14:47   #56

yes, will share project progress details regularly
Old 1st February 2016, 15:55   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbecat View Post
yes, will share project progress details regularly

Hello mate!
Your passion and enthusiasm for the project seems amazing. What's the current state ? How much work has been done and what time it will take to conclude the project?

Any mechanical upgrades on the cards too? Or just the visual mods?

Restless to see a bolero in this avatar. Do share some latest pictures as we all would love to see them.

Regards
Aakarsh
Aakarsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 01:09   #58

Aakarsh, thanks for the encouragement mate. This is going to be a long project as there is tons of details to take care. I'll post updates and seek feedback / suggestions regularly.

For now, I've not thought about mechanical update. Not saying I won't :-)
Old 2nd February 2016, 01:56   #59

Progress details:
- Side mud guard fabrication. Unlike regular jeep/wrangler/thar where the front bonnet side tapers to accommodate larger sized front mud guard while the read mud guard width is smaller, bolero doesn't taper in the front.
- This means the front and rear mud guards need to be of equal sizes. In order for the rear mud guard to maintain the same profile and width, it needs to overlap the door area. This means door and chasis needs to be resized/modified.
- There is central bumpy reinforcement strip throughout the side, in door as well as body, dead give away of bolero. This needs to be flattened out
Attached Thumbnails
PIC : A neatly modified Mahindra Armada-wp_20151124_19_32_02_pro.jpg  

PIC : A neatly modified Mahindra Armada-wp_20151124_19_32_09_pro.jpg  

PIC : A neatly modified Mahindra Armada-wp_20151127_15_03_58_pro.jpg  

PIC : A neatly modified Mahindra Armada-wp_20151124_19_31_30_pro.jpg  

PIC : A neatly modified Mahindra Armada-wp_20151124_19_31_25_pro.jpg  

PIC : A neatly modified Mahindra Armada-wp_20151127_14_30_47_pro.jpg  

PIC : A neatly modified Mahindra Armada-wp_20151127_15_03_26_pro.jpg  

PIC : A neatly modified Mahindra Armada-wp_20151127_15_03_36_pro.jpg  

PIC : A neatly modified Mahindra Armada-wp_20151127_14_31_15_pro.jpg  

cbecat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 23:48   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbecat View Post
Progress details:
- Side mud guard fabrication.
Seems off to a good start. The metal-smiths of this land never cease to amaze me... real craft there, and almost a lost art in the West.

-Eric

Most Viewed