Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 00:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Mahindra MM540 Build

What is this Jeep with tool boxes on either sides or is it a illusion I am having, where did the steering wheel go? is it a LHD by any means?

Kingvikz ask your painter to remove the front windshield frame and the doors for painting if possible.
Attached Thumbnails
My Mahindra MM540 Build-conxxxx.jpg  

Old 5th July 2011, 08:11   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
I have got this answer from my mechanic when I expressed my desire of having rubber beading on my Willys then the answer was it would do more harm than good as the water will seep deep in between the rubber and add more rusting issues. I have never seen 540 with rubber beading so, you can avoid them. In fact you can try rubber sealing used by glass fitters to seal any gaps in between the body and avoid rust issues for ever.

I personally experience how the budget will shoot up when you take up some extra detailed task and I can understand your concern, I feel without removing tub also as the painter is lifting it little can discover cracks if any, even with tub as well it shouldn't be a problem but the wiring might be needed if you take off the tub, the only issue would be you may not have a through anti rust coat done to the bottom of the tub until you topple it aside.

Why don't you use some older or worn out tires or even remove them while your jeep is getting painted as they will absorb the residues of red oxide, putty, and roughness of paint, and you can have a through paint work on them, your jeep tires look new hence this suggestion.
I have got this answer from my mechanic when I expressed my desire of having rubber beading on my Willys then the answer was it would do more harm than good as the water will seep deep in between the rubber and add more rusting issues. I have never seen 540 with rubber beading so, you can avoid them. In fact you can try rubber sealing used by glass fitters to seal any gaps in between the body and avoid rust issues for ever.

I personally experience how the budget will shoot up when you take up some extra detailed task and I can understand your concern, I feel without removing tub also as the painter is lifting it little can discover cracks if any, even with tub as well it shouldn't be a problem but the wiring might be needed if you take off the tub, the only issue would be you may not have a through anti rust coat done to the bottom of the tub until you topple it aside.

Why don't you use some older or worn out tires or even remove them while your jeep is getting painted as they will absorb the residues of red oxide, putty, and roughness of paint, and you can have a through paint work on them, your jeep tires look new hence this suggestion.[/quote]

I was given a similar reply from the mechanic, however few jeepers did mention its very unlikely. I finally mustered the courage and called Jammy who assured me that the gap arises once a MM540's fenders are removed to paint. Then the gap remains. As long as its a thin gap, just enough to slide a knife or scale and its uniform, its ok. Only a very very skilled mechanic can fix it back air-tight. Can any MM540/550 owners shed some more light on this? Attaching a recent picture (close-up) of the jeep's fender. It looks pretty closed up, but does have a thin gap running. (More visible towards the bottom)

The mechanics put an old set of clothes on the tyres while doing their work. So no worries.

The Mechanic removed the doors and the windshield glass. But its frame could not be removed as it is wielded to the roof/front seats cabin. The tarpolin frame was removed too.
Attached Thumbnails
My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu56.jpg  

Last edited by kingvikz : 5th July 2011 at 08:16. Reason: Clubbing two posts.
Old 5th July 2011, 23:00   #33
BHPian

May 22

A friend and I went to the paint shop after numerous nags to the mechanic. He finally relented and gave an address. The paint shop owner was around and it was an eye opening conversation. I learnt the types of paint and kinds of painters and the paint work they do. Why mechanics prefer everyday repairs and let long term repairs to go on slowly. We return empty-handed but enlightened.

Few days later, another friend and me go along with mechanic and painter to same shop to select paint. Now paint-selection is a tough job when you have imagined the paint you want but it does not look that good in real or on a jeep. Similarly the mechanic and painter have their reasons for a particular color. Easy to paint, simple job, most sought after paint, blinds the earlier color easily.

So I tell the mechanic and painter that I would like to take 3 samples and paint them on different parts of the jeep and then take a call. They agree.

Iam called in 24 hours by the mechanic who says the 3 colors have been painted and i can come and look. I take my 2 friends along and go. We see the jeep in the 3 colors i chose, and few parts of the existing color and the metal paste as well. Overall, a dull rainbow jeep.
We 3 friends stand and gape at the 3 paint colors for almost 20 minutes. The mechanic and painter look at us while working on other vehicles. Then we come to a unanimous decision: Move the jeep into sunlight. Everybody at the garage helps move the jeep out of its shed. Another 20 minutes later, a final request: placing the tarpolin on the jeep. Our wish is complied. Its almost mid day when we reach a predicament. Each of us 3 friends like a particular color.

The mechanic and painter take sides with one friend. The other gives out logical deductions - "Scratch disguiser", "Easy to polish". "Will look good during its fading days". Soon, Mr Logic also begins to support the mechanic & painter's choice. I am now left with the paint color i personally like and my 2 friends, the mechanic and painter all egging me with another color.

I reach into my pocket and find a coin. Hoping for the best, I flip it and my choice wins. Everyone gives out a small sigh and accepts destiny's decision. We 3 friends return home, exhausted but elated with the next chapter in jeep repair that's about to begin: The Paint Job.
Attached Thumbnails
My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu16.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu17.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu21.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu22.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu23.jpg  

Old 5th July 2011, 23:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

confuse in the pretext of clarifying

To confuse in the pretext of clarifying I say the white/offwhite/ivory color on the door is pretty good, your black bumpers will add up to the looks. My opinion sorry if I have intruded, couldn't resist.
chanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 08:08   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
What is this Jeep with tool boxes on either sides or is it a illusion I am having, where did the steering wheel go? is it a LHD by any means?

Kingvikz ask your painter to remove the front windshield frame and the doors for painting if possible.
The Jeep with dual tool boxes is a RHD. Difficult to notice but the box on the left is the glove compartment and the box on the right is the meter gauge. The right side box is slanting towards the driver. And to confirm the above I even check the right floor panel. It had the slots for the Brake/Clutch/Accelerator.

Thanks for the paint suggestion. You'll be pleased with the pictures of the completed paint job.

Last edited by kingvikz : 6th July 2011 at 08:10. Reason: Typing mistake
Old 6th July 2011, 08:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

1) Good you got rid of the mud-guards, the connecting point with body (the rubber strip place) should show signs of rust, hope you noticed/corrected that.

2) Also, good ^ Again, the front 3 feet of chassis is the most prone to cracks/rust/previous welds - did you find any?

3) CUT the A-B pillar joint above the doors, that is a Cheap Juggad job and you will find rust there too.

4) The roof soft top beading just above the front windshield (glass) also should have some rust. You get a complete new one.

5) PLEASE DROP down the windscreen and check the area below that front frame and just above the dashboard for any corrosion.

EDIT

Its not too late for this - throw away the rear fuel tank and get a CJ's one below the co-drivers seat - no need for any cut job in the outer body for that. Just a small hole in the floor is enough.

Last edited by svsantosh : 6th July 2011 at 08:26.
Old 6th July 2011, 10:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PLEASE DROP down the windscreen and check the area below that front frame and just above the dashboard for any corrosion.

On 540/550's there is a windshield-cowl weatherstrip provided too, it dampens vibrations and prevents water entry from the front / sides (somewhat ), check if these are present. It is a 8mm thick weatherstrip running along the length of the windshield lower portion.

Spike
Old 6th July 2011, 11:37   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
On 540/550's there is a windshield-cowl weatherstrip provided too, it dampens vibrations and prevents water entry from the front / sides (somewhat ), check if these are present. It is a 8mm thick weatherstrip running along the length of the windshield lower portion.

Spike
I did check for the strip, didnt find any. Infact there have been problems (occasioanly) during the rains as water tended to seep in through the winscreen. (I think its due to fact that the winscreen can be lifted upwards - cop style)

@ Santhosh:

Thanks for your inputs. Will try to implement some of them, atleast chopping the joint between A and B pillar. But, will it not make the tarpolin fixing a little difficult ?

The chassis was checked by Raju. No rust or cracks found.

Fender to tub connecting region had a flat beading littered with rust. It has been taken care of.

Iam also looking high and low for a MM540 headlight grill and a front grill mesh, unable to find both. Any clues? (enclosing a picture for reference)
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Mahindra White.BMP (246.6 KB, 519 views)
Old 8th July 2011, 07:32   #39
BHPian

Can any one leave a clue on where I can find headlight grills and a front grill mesh ?

May 28

I reach the garage and find painting stalled. Reason being the painter had gone on some other work. This phenomenon would go on for the next few weeks.

Meanwhile, the Mechanic offers some dastardly news. The back brakes had not been working since quite some time. Reason the cylinders has got "roughened up".

The cylinders have since been replaced. The bushes have also been fixed. (Pardon the bad quality of pictures: overcast sky and a cellphone camera)
Attached Thumbnails
My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu24.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu25.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu26.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu27.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu28.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu29.jpg  

Old 15th July 2011, 00:33   #40
BHPian

Jun 06

posting few more picture of the jeep in its new paint job avatar
Attached Thumbnails
My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu30.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu32.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu33.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu34.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu36.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu37.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-blu38.jpg  

Old 15th July 2011, 06:25   #41
BHPian

@ Kingvikz: This is how my MM 540 looked below the windscreen. It was full of rust!! You can see the rubbery kind of material too at the base of the windscreen.
My Mahindra MM540 Build-img0099a-large.jpg
After tinkering.
My Mahindra MM540 Build-img0133a-large.jpg
If you are planning serious off-roading, I suggest you to relocate the diesel tank from its present location. Its very prone for damage. I had damaged my tank during a small OTR and now its placed under the passenger seat.

P.S: Your Jeep's Color is coming out nice.

Last edited by madhkris : 15th July 2011 at 06:27. Reason: Added P.S
Old 15th July 2011, 14:24   #42
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions.

My windscreen is wielded to the roof so will have to pull them apart. And due to budget constraints it will be done during my next visit to the garage, along with the Diesel tank shift. Right now with my current budget, only painting and tinkering on the as-it-is basis is happening.

Im also battling another issue, the steering wheel is rubbing/pressing aginst the combination switch while turning. (Highlighted in florosent circle in your picture) The culprit seems to be an ill-fitted new steering rod and assembly. Will have to get that fixed now.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (606.7 KB, 435 views)
Old 15th July 2011, 16:16   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingvikz View Post
..... the steering wheel is rubbing/pressing aginst the combination switch while turning. (Highlighted in florosent circle in your picture) The culprit seems to be an ill-fitted new steering rod and assembly. Will have to get that fixed now.
So if you turn the steering wheel to right or left, does the corresponding indicator go on its own?
Old 15th July 2011, 22:56   #44
BHPian

The indicators had a life of their own, so did the horn. Turning the steering was tough too. When the steering wheel was removed it was found the combination box opening was shaved. Attributed to constant rubbing by steering. One indicator stick inside the box was broken, Horn metal also broken. New combination box bought and fixed. Mechanic says rubbing wont happen now, steering has been fixed. Will have to visit garage and check that soon.
Old 31st July 2011, 21:03   #45
BHPian

Hi friends,
Posting some bad quality pictures of the body cover i got stitched for my jeep.
Since it stands on the road, braving the elements (natural and man-made) the least I could do is get a body cover for jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
My Mahindra MM540 Build-image004.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-image010.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-image011.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-image012.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-image013.jpg  

My Mahindra MM540 Build-image014.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks