Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2012, 08:52   #76
BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carizma View Post
Hi carrot_eater! Congrats on your completing one year with your dream machine. I too have been smitten by the Thar of late. Though I have been quite sceptical as to whether the Thar can serve my daily needs as I have driven sedans all my life, it is nice to know that the you are happy with the car as your regular commute. R Beige is my personal choice too. It looks fabulous. Any particular ownership issues so far?? Planning any mods other than brake upgrades?? Do keep us posted.
Thanks Carizma - With the AC (now default for new Thars) - Thar can easily serve your daily needs - at least it has for me. There is just the minor inconvenience that you cannot leave anything in the Thar - because by itself Thar attracts attention at parking places - anything valuable left inside on display inside - can create problems. So either hide it well - under the seat , lock it in the tool box or take everything with you.

Honestly I haven't faced any significant issues with the Thar in owning it for a year. The only ones were the door rattle and exhaust fume issues - the door rattle was fixed by a rubber beading and the exhaust issue with the ECU flashing and modified exhaust pipe - once in a while these tend to resurface.

You can't expect the build quality of a good sedan from the Thar - the doors will rattle when you put it though pot holes a bit too fast.

And for Mods - well - I don't see a need for any mods right now - I like the space that comes by folding up the rear side facing seats so won't really go for front facing seats at the rear. I find the front seats comfortable enough- And the soft top is just fine for me.

Brakes - Right now the cost is very high for this upgrade - I was told that just by putting in the brake booster of the VLX - the brakes can become better - however, even that requires some modification - it requires a little more space and the air filter seems to be an obstruction.

For now, I drive a bit slower, keep just a tad little more space for the vehicle in front of me and I am fine.

Do a test drive - look at the build quality and decide for yourself - and Do read Khan Sultan's review
Old 10th September 2012, 21:42   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Thanks Carizma - With the AC (now default for new Thars) - Thar can easily serve your daily needs - at least it has for me. There is just the minor inconvenience that you cannot leave anything in the Thar - because by itself Thar attracts attention at parking places - anything valuable left inside on display inside - can create problems. So either hide it well - under the seat , lock it in the tool box or take everything with you.

Honestly I haven't faced any significant issues with the Thar in owning it for a year. The only ones were the door rattle and exhaust fume issues - the door rattle was fixed by a rubber beading and the exhaust issue with the ECU flashing and modified exhaust pipe - once in a while these tend to resurface.

You can't expect the build quality of a good sedan from the Thar - the doors will rattle when you put it though pot holes a bit too fast.

And for Mods - well - I don't see a need for any mods right now - I like the space that comes by folding up the rear side facing seats so won't really go for front facing seats at the rear. I find the front seats comfortable enough- And the soft top is just fine for me.

Brakes - Right now the cost is very high for this upgrade - I was told that just by putting in the brake booster of the VLX - the brakes can become better - however, even that requires some modification - it requires a little more space and the air filter seems to be an obstruction.

For now, I drive a bit slower, keep just a tad little more space for the vehicle in front of me and I am fine.

Do a test drive - look at the build quality and decide for yourself - and Do read Khan Sultan's review
Had a TD in a Silver one!! Came out quite impressed with the experience. The driving position is unique-something that I've never experienced before. It was really a matter of few minutes before I felt at home in the THAR. It feels as if you are sitting on the first floor! I completely agree with the reviews about the kind of KING SIZE respect that you get on the road.
I think that there is definitely some improvement in the quality of dash-going by the pictures that fellow members have posted before. The exhaust too has been relocated to the right side and there is a lockable fuel shutter as well. I can definitely live with the package that I am getting.

Quote:
And the soft top is just fine for me
Personally I feel that the feel/look of the THAR is incomplete without the soft top in place, practical issues apart.

I am quite sure that I will be happy to swap my car for a THAR any day!! The only problem is convincing the family as nobody, except the kids, is really excited at the prospect.
carizma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 21:50   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Hi carrot_eater,

Thank you for writing your experience in detail, I have went through it couple of times before taking my decision. I got delivery of my Ricky Beige Thar on 27th Dec 2012 and using it daily from then clocked 700+ in 2 weeks. I am also enjoying every moment in it with my wife and 10 months baby .

I am eager to see the picture of your Thar as it has completed 1+ year, specially condition/color of soft top as I am more concern about it and I am liking it lot. Also your pattern of usage is same as me.

Thanks,
Vishal.

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 9th January 2013 at 21:51.
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 15:45   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Hi carrot_eater,

Thank you for writing your experience in detail, I have went through it couple of times before taking my decision. I got delivery of my Ricky Beige Thar on 27th Dec 2012 and using it daily from then clocked 700+ in 2 weeks. I am also enjoying every moment in it with my wife and 10 months baby .

I am eager to see the picture of your Thar as it has completed 1+ year, specially condition/color of soft top as I am more concern about it and I am liking it lot. Also your pattern of usage is same as me.

Thanks,
Vishal.
Thank you Vishal and Congratulations on your Thar - I was just reading your review .

Well - The colour of the softtop remains the same - there is not change - no fading or anything of that sort nor to the exterior paint.

A small tip - if you put some insulating material under the softop at the rear - your AC will be more effective. And be careful with the Zip of the softtop - if you regularly clean it - and use it carefully - it should last you some time.

I'll try put some pictures soon.

Cheers
Carrot_eater.
carrot_eater is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 15:59   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Vishal and Congratulations on your Thar - I was just reading your review .

Well - The colour of the softtop remains the same - there is not change - no fading or anything of that sort nor to the exterior paint.

A small tip - if you put some insulating material under the softop at the rear - your AC will be more effective. And be careful with the Zip of the softtop - if you regularly clean it - and use it carefully - it should last you some time.

I'll try put some pictures soon.

Cheers
Carrot_eater.
Thanks !

Ok, that's gr8. Yes I learned about the importance of chain issue on first day itself, kid was playing with it and he unzipped it till the end and then it stuck there, after some efforts I managed to zip it.
Old 1st August 2013, 20:49   #81
BHPian

Its been exactly 2 years since I got my Thar home - 22 K on the Odo and no issues (touch wood )

Its been my daily drive for the past 2 years and I am still loving it. Still get the questions on the Thar once in a while.

All in all - a great vehicle . All those sitting on the edge - jump on this side - you won't regret it at all..

Cheers
Carrot Eater.
carrot_eater is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:36   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its been exactly 2 years since I got my Thar home. 22 K on the Odo and no issues (touch wood). Its been my daily drive for the past 2 years and I am still loving it. Still get the questions on the Thar once in a while. All in all - a great vehicle. All those sitting on the edge - jump on this side - you won't regret it at all. Cheers Carrot Eater.
Dear Singh Saab (Carrot Eater) - this is like "wow". Thank you for your post, which says it all. I humbly accept your comments, which makes me very happy. Thanks once again! .

Dear all - this reminds me of the dialogue from the Hindi movie "A Wednesday", which goes as follows: ("word-by-word / line-by-line"). I trust that you will understand, who this is aimed at, it's not you!

Chief Minister - apne paas uski baat maanneke alawa koi raasta hai?
Anupam Kher - nahin hai Sir.
CM - lekin yeh galat hai.
AK - woh to hai Sir.
CM - magar hum kar bhi kya sakte hain.
AK - kuch nahin kar sakte!

Confident people get what they want, others get what confident people want! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:59   #83
BHPian

DB/Vishal/CE,

My thar CRDE rockey beige ,also bought last year Nov 2012,is now completing 10k on Odo soon...........facing some minor issues like coolant leakage,etc. Aircon giving me a whistling sound which i was told due to some problem in the expansion valve,,,,,,,,,,,,,,otherwise this is my daily drive and am enjoying it every bit. planning to go for a hard top and manual hub lock soon.

regards

Raj

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Last edited by bblost : 2nd August 2013 at 13:02. Reason: Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.
Old 2nd August 2013, 15:23   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Singh Saab (Carrot Eater) - this is like "wow". Thank you for your post, which says it all. I humbly accept your comments, which makes me very happy. Thanks once again! .
Thank you Dhabhar Saab - for making the Thar a reality for us - There are many things which could be improved and I am sure someone at Mahindra will - "Some day"

Its because of you participation and posts on AC fitment, Targa Bands that helped novice Jeep buyers to make the right decisions.

The Brake upgrade still eludes me - have not been feeling the need for it - but would definitely want to get it done - at least the partial upgrade with the brake booster from Scorpio. The entire twin pot calliper set up is too expensive.

Cheers
Ranjeet Singh
Old 29th November 2013, 11:42   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Dhabhar Saab - for making the Thar a reality for us - There are many things which could be improved and I am sure someone at Mahindra will - "Some day"
Cheers
Ranjeet Singh
Ranjeet,

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-untitled.png

Can you identify the Thar image in background.

Yesterday I was searching my ASC contact number and found there site, After looking at this image I thought I have seen this photo somewhere.

You can see it here

This happens only in India and only with Indian manufacturers.

Thanks,
vishal.
Thar4x4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 08:53   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Can you identify the Thar image in background.

Yesterday I was searching my ASC contact number and found there site, After looking at this image I thought I have seen this photo somewhere.
Thanks for taking the time to post it here.

wondering who was the developer searching for an image of Thar on the web and ending up using mine. , instead of ones from DKG who's thread has got some high quality pics.

Well in general - I have been checking on the brake upgrade. The new Thar does have a bigger brake booster but the same vacuum pump is same as in the older thar - i.e. the smaller one.

Also I found that the scoprio we own has got the bigger booster but the smaller vacuum pump and in the last 8 years or so - I haven't really had any problems with its brakes.

So I am thinking to get the brake booster fitted from the new Thar and maybe shift the vacuum pump closer to the booster. (The scorpio does have it right next to the the booster - but then there is space there in scoprio).

Now that quite a few have got the brake upgraded successfully and with cpbopanna's comments - I am convinced I need to get the brake upgraded .

Cheers
Carrot
Old 4th December 2013, 09:25   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been checking on the brake upgrade. The new Thar does have a bigger brake booster but the same vacuum pump as in the older thar - i.e. the smaller one. I am thinking to get the brake booster fitted from the new Thar and maybe shift the vacuum pump closer to the booster. (The scorpio does have it right next to the the booster - but then there is space there in scoprio)
Dear Ranjit Singhji - your comments on brake upgrade are completely fragmented. You may land up doing something incorrect / unsafe. Please PM me, I need to guide you in totality. Please also mention which Scorpio you have, pre m-Hawk or m-Hawk. Vacuum pumps in both vehicles are completely different. Please be careful.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 10:13   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b][u] your comments on brake upgrade are completely fragmented. You may land up doing something incorrect / unsafe. Please PM me, I need to guide you in totality. Please also mention which Scorpio you have, pre m-Hawk or m-Hawk. Vacuum pumps in both vehicles are completely different. Please be careful.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dhabhar Sahab - We have a Scorpio from 2005 - which is the non-crde model.

In that the vacuum tank is the similar one which the Thar has.

Have sent the PM - Please help !

Ranjeet
Old 26th August 2014, 14:46   #89
BHPian

After driving the Thar for 3 years now. Finally got the Brake upgrade done - It works like a charm. Anyone who has a older Thar without the bigger brake booster should get that upgraded. It give that much extra "bite" while braking.

PS : - Even after 3 years, Thar remains my daily drive vehicle and I still love it

Cheers
Carrot.
Old 26th August 2014, 16:14   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After driving the Thar for 3 years now. Even after 3 years, Thar remains my daily drive vehicle and I still love it. Cheers Carrot.
Dear Ranjit Singhji - hello after a very long time. 3 years of daily use determines the reliability index under RWUP (Real World Usage Pattern). Your comments clearly indicate "MISSION SUCCESSFULLY ACCOMPLISHED"! .

You love the new brakes? Yes, they are good now, but let me tell you that these brakes also can still be improved to much better performance level, with full engineering and reliability ensured! Let the debate start, only good will come out of it. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 26th August 2014 at 16:16.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks