Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2011, 14:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: '93 MM540 - The adventure begins. EDIT : 4x4 conversion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriny_blr View Post
What we noticed was the teeth were intact
good...!!

Quote:
however, the mech claims that when the gearbox is opened lot of work is involved
He IS a mechanic, right? Hope he is not one of the 'west coast customs' bro' doing a buy it - fit it- finish it job!!

Quote:
and need to change the entire gammut and not worth the cost involved for repairs and recommended us for replacement of GB in exchange of old one in Gujari.....
So, practically he is giving a clue that his Labor is as high as buying a used GB (which, mind you can be worse than yours current GB).

----------

Sorry to come across frustrated, today morning was spent by me listening to one more of these bufoon mechanics' who was trying to RIP a Jeep owner by saying "Your GB is full of water, yada yada... 10,000Rs"...!!!!

I spend 2.5K MAX (Labor) for a GB+TC overhaul at my mechanics place. Factor in another 4-6 bearings~ at 500 each, 4 liters of GB oil @ 200/Liter, you are still at 6500Rs for a GB overhaul hoping (& most likely always) none of gears are worn out... And - from start to finish it is a 1-day JOB to overhaul a Jeep's GB...!! I cant digest a mechanic who says 'cant repair, lets buy a sooper one from Gujri'. It shows his inclination towards his work!!

Edit - Who is your mechanic? Name & Location please?

Last edited by svsantosh : 23rd November 2011 at 14:59.
Old 24th November 2011, 01:29   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh
Sorry to come across frustrated, today morning was spent by me listening to one more of these bufoon mechanics' who was trying to RIP a Jeep owner by saying "Your GB is full of water, yada yada... 10,000Rs"...!!!!
I spend 2.5K MAX (Labor) for a GB+TC overhaul at my mechanics place. Factor in another 4-6 bearings~ at 500 each, 4 liters of GB oil @ 200/Liter, you are still at 6500Rs for a GB overhaul hoping (& most likely always) none of gears are worn out... And - from start to finish it is a 1-day JOB to overhaul a Jeep's GB...!! I cant digest a mechanic who says 'cant repair, lets buy a sooper one from Gujri'. It shows his inclination towards his work!!
Thanks for your inputs Santosh we started our mission on JC Road for repairing GB and found a person by name Babu through our Electrician (Mamu), on meeting and explaining him he just started his job by dis-mantling the GB and provided the list and procured most of the parts from Mahindra authorized dealer, rest were from local market. In total we spent Rs.4500/- and procured all spares for him. He started his job by 10 am am & completed by 3 pm.

This guy seems to be genuine and reliable and know in & out of GB, anyone interested can share his contact.

Along with this I would like to thank our Mamu (Electrician) we got a very neat job done by this person again from JC Road, he also knows entire electrical job of MM540, when we met him first time he was thrilled by our posession and started praising on this jeep. He has thorough knowledge on jeeps and could fixed all the electrical works in the jeep. We spent around Rs.1500/- (both spares & labor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh
Edit - Who is your mechanic? Name & Location please?
Here you to :
MM Car Tech, # 37, Behind Mahindra Showroom, Rupena Agrahara, Bommanahalli.

bty am looking for a good mechanic in the vicinity around Koramangala, could not find a good one till date.
Attached Thumbnails
'93 MM540 - The adventure begins. EDIT : 4x4 conversion!-s4020830.jpg  

'93 MM540 - The adventure begins. EDIT : 4x4 conversion!-s4020831.jpg  

'93 MM540 - The adventure begins. EDIT : 4x4 conversion!-s4020832.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th June 2012 at 01:08. Reason: Fixed quotes
sriny_blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 11:44   #48
BHPian

Gents,
Things were not easy on personal end. Life has certainly takes its toll on me!

However the Jeep thing keeps the excitement ON.

My buddy brother who is steering the MM day in and out seems to be having great days and is painting the town black!

Brother feels the Jeep definitely needs a disc brake to ride in city. However after reading the 'Samurai's' thread "Upgrading brakes on CJ340" more than twice I feel the brake sets needs complete Inspection and probably few parts replacement will do the trick!
Experts suggestion please ?

After reading few posts it seems the MRF NDMS 7 x 16 are got set of tyres for an upgrade for Original Rims (I dont want to change the Rims).
Are these still being manufactured and available in Bangalore, Any cost info will be Bonus?
If not I also read that super king tyres as an option, please suggest?
Old 11th January 2012, 13:06   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Brother feels the Jeep definitely needs a disc brake to ride in city. However after reading the 'Samurai's' thread "Upgrading brakes on CJ340" more than twice I feel the brake sets needs complete Inspection and probably few parts replacement will do the trick!
This comment made me go looking around for that thread since I didn't remember it. Wow, nearly 4 year old thread. Yes, I am still managing with drum brakes. Doesn't mean I like it.

With drum brakes, there isn't much panic braking option. Once a dog decided to cross the road when I was just 10ft away, I simply had to run over it helplessly. The dog survived despite a bump on the head from the differential pumpkin. If it was a human or a vehicle, it would have been a big mess. If you are driving in the city all the time, you have to practice very defensive driving, or you will hit somebody soon enough.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 13:50   #50
BHPian

[quote=Samurai;2642029]
This comment made me go looking around for that thread since I didn't remember it. Wow, nearly 4 year old thread. Yes, I am still managing with drum brakes. Doesn't mean I like it.
QUOTE]

It is indeed, but these are THE 'Golden threads' very useful for us newbies on the adventure machine !

for the JEEP to run about in city from 40 - 50 ish KMPL, like you mentioned if you are extra careful we could manage until the upgrade phase comes. As the upgrade calls for Vitamin 'M' .
It is also surprising to see the 'Road Mannerism change' from other road users especially vehicles who tend to cross across in front) when you are in a Jeep compared to a car. They dont want to take chances!

Thanks for quick response
sriny_blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 15:04   #51
Senior - BHPian

My personal experience with jeep braking has been a topsy turvy one!! learnt many a thing the hard way - bottom line is water/slush is enemy #1 in this subject. Simple water wash, rains wont caust long term damage - just let it dry - but hardcore fording, slush means tata-byebye to your braking system.

Currently I am satisfied with my jeeps brakes,couple of my friends who own 540 can vouch for it... the thing is, effective jeep braking is a combination of many factors - brakes (of course), suspension, tyres, alignment, hmm thats it i think... In the case of my jeeps current setup - the front dives in nicely complemented by the rear, the springs have been set like that.

PS - though many say not worth it - does your jeep have a single wheel cylinder in front or 2? I have seen a definite different of 2-cyl setup over the 1-cyl... thats why I asked...

Last edited by svsantosh : 11th January 2012 at 15:06.
Old 11th January 2012, 15:55   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
PS - though many say not worth it - does your jeep have a single wheel cylinder in front or 2? I have seen a definite different of 2-cyl setup over the 1-cyl... thats why I asked...

Thanks for all info Dear Mr Santosh.

hmm, How do i know if it is 1 cylinder or 2 ?

Thanks
Sreeni
Old 11th January 2012, 18:25   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for all info Dear Mr Santosh.

hmm, How do i know if it is 1 cylinder or 2 ?

Thanks
Sreeni
I have attached the single and dual master cylinder pics (reference not jeep parts). Basically dual has two circuits where by front and rear OR Diagonal wheels can be controlled separately. This results in better braking.

One with two chambers is dual in the pic.
Attached Images

Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 05:38   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I have attached the single and dual master cylinder pics (reference not jeep parts). Basically dual has two circuits where by front and rear OR Diagonal wheels can be controlled separately. This results in better braking.

One with two chambers is dual in the pic.
Thanks Jaggu,
Will have a look on this as soon as I get on the JEEP !

BHPians - Any info on the Tyres upgrade please?
Old 12th January 2012, 19:42   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Jaggu,
Will have a look on this as soon as I get on the JEEP !

BHPians - Any info on the Tyres upgrade please?
Go to Jamarthis (MRF dealer) on JC road. I got my 600x16 from them. Very reasonable rates. He could get you your option as well.
Old 12th January 2012, 23:36   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Go to Jamarthis (MRF dealer) on JC road. I got my 600x16 from them. Very reasonable rates. He could get you your option as well.
Thanks for the info sir!
By the way did you mean 'Jamathi Tyres Sales & Service PVT LTD'
6 ratings No.485, Corporation Building, J C Road, Bangalore - 560002

Also can you let me know whch one looks better 7x16 or 6x16, without affecting the steering!

Last edited by sriny_blr : 12th January 2012 at 23:39.
Old 12th January 2012, 23:37   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info sir!

Also can you let me know whch one looks better 7x16 or 6x16, without affecting the steering!
I will always swear by 6x16 but then its just my opinion. there are others who swear by 7x16 as well. (i know i am not being helpful here)
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 00:16   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hmm, one of the reasons why I have managed with drum brakes, is that I use modern tyres which have much better traction on tarmac.

If you going with NDMS, your braking ability will remain much impaired.
Old 13th January 2012, 00:21   #59
Team-BHP Support

Get a set of gypsy discs. They are cheap and will fit host of better tyres. +1 to Samurai NDMS not confidence inspiring on tarmac! And pray if it rains!!
Old 13th January 2012, 07:05   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm, one of the reasons why I have managed with drum brakes, is that I use modern tyres which have much better traction on tarmac.

If you going with NDMS, your braking ability will remain much impaired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Get a set of gypsy discs. They are cheap and will fit host of better tyres. +1 to Samurai NDMS not confidence inspiring on tarmac! And pray if it rains!!
Gents,
What tyres would you guys recommend (available) other than NDMS which would not affect braking and prefereably not changing Discs for now

Thanks
Sreeni

Most Viewed