Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2011, 09:54   #31
BHPian

re: '93 MM540 - The adventure begins. EDIT : 4x4 conversion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
First check if its the "death wobble", then its time to attend to the king pin. Basically ensure steering system is fine before blaming it on the tyre.
Thanks Jaggu saab!
JEEP has a checkup at garage this morning and will inform this to the Mechanic!
Old 14th November 2011, 11:01   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriny_blr View Post
Got the new regn. number.
Sriny, how long did it take from the date of submission?
Quote:
Diesel Filter - Rs. 185
Engine Oil (6 litres) - Rs.1410/-
Grease - Rs.125/-
Hub Greasing - Rs.350/-
Oil Servicing - Rs. 200/-
Do change the Air Filter too.

Quote:
Day 2:
Had been on a long drive (around 225 kms) found exhaust leakage and got it welded from a road side mechanic.
Even I had the same issue after reaching Kerala. I was also surprised that there is very little sound, when compared to petrols, or even bikes.
Quote:
able to find a back door for our MM540 and procured
How much did it cost?

Quote:
First check if its the "death wobble", then its time to attend to the king pin.
Jaggu, isn't the death wobble prominent at speeds above 60?. And, can we not visibly(I mean, without dismantling) check the king pin condition?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
What is the plan for 4wd conversion ? Which GB TC combo you are planning to use ?
And, what have you planned, Sire?
Old 14th November 2011, 11:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
And, what have you planned, Sire?
Dhabush,

I didn't get any help. So Decided to do it in my way. Any way its not a Rocket Engineering.
- Sreejesh
Old 14th November 2011, 17:28   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Sriny, how long did it take from the date of submission?
It took around 12 working days due to Diwali & Rajyotsava Holidays. Also all the documents were processed by the seller.

Quote:
Do change the Air Filter too.
Yes this was informed to mechanic, looks like either he has not charged to us or missed it. Will check and get this done.

Quote:
How much did it cost?
Back door costed us Rs.650/- but unfortunate the size doesn't match as per Mechanic, need to find a solution to fix the same

NEED Suggestion from Jeep Gurus:
Explained the oil leakage underneath the engine, mechanic suggested this is a big job and the entire engine needs to be dis-mantled to change the bearing & other odds which may cost around 22k,
Also he said for now there's no issue as the leakage is very minimal and can be done in the future when we are ready for it
Old 14th November 2011, 17:50   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jaggu, isn't the death wobble prominent at speeds above 60?. And, can we not visibly(I mean, without dismantling) check the king pin condition?
Nope even at 30-40 kmph it will show up, all it needs is one undulation and the steering will go bonkers. Am not sure if the visual inspection is enough, also the knuckle bolts (hope the term is right), one that attaches the hub to the differential, if they are loose wobble can happen. Atleast that has happened to me once or twice.
Old 14th November 2011, 19:39   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Explained the oil leakage underneath the engine, mechanic suggested this is a big job and the entire engine needs to be dis-mantled to change the bearing & other odds which may cost around 22k,
Also he said for now there's no issue as the leakage is very minimal and can be done in the future when we are ready for it
He may be mentioning a complete engine overhaul, or else, there is no way he should charge 22k. Also, I guess the max the XDP engine needs in the initial stages of loosing compression is new rings, and associated parts which will cost only about 10k and one full day.

How is the engine compression?

P.S : I'm not a jeep guru!
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 19:47   #37
BHPian

Quote:
He may be mentioning a complete engine overhaul, or else, there is no way he should charge 22k. Also, I guess the max the XDP engine needs in the initial stages of loosing compression is new rings, and associated parts which will cost only about 10k and one full day.

How is the engine compression?

P.S : I'm not a jeep guru!
Yes, he did mention about changing rings. Engine compression has not been tested, do we need to? If so what would be the cost ?
Old 14th November 2011, 19:56   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, he did mention about changing rings. Engine compression has not been tested, do we need to? If so what would be the cost ?
Some things you can DIY to check the engine condition is to:
  • Open the oil filler cap and check the blow-by air. ie, start the engine, and open the oil filler cap on top. If the engine is technically correct, there should be no smoke coming out of it. Just slight air, cos of the moving parts.
  • Open the oil filler cap, and raise the engine. No excess oil should spurt out.
  • Check the exhaust smoke. No white smoke should be coming. No excessive black smoke, and I guess 'no visible smoke' is also an issue. (May be experts can comment). Moderately thick black smoke is what you should get.
  • Open the radiator cap, and check if oil is mixed with water. Technically it should be only water.
  • Open the radiator cap and raise the engine. No bubbles should be coming out. Just the circulation should be happening.
Basically, the point 1, is used to check compression loss. Rest if for head gasket et al.. but all related to the enigne.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 21:45   #39
BHPian

@sriny_blr, would you please find out from the guy who sold you backdoor, whether two front door for MM540 is available or not?

Andy
Old 16th November 2011, 23:08   #40
Team-BHP Support

Was your vehicle parked in teachers colony this week?
Old 17th November 2011, 17:54   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
@sriny_blr, would you please find out from the guy who sold you backdoor, whether two front door for MM540 is available or not?

Andy
Hi Andy,

He is out of station until 20th, we need to go there and find out from the scrap yard. He would dump all the parts in his backyard, we need to search for the spares and ask him for those. I will also try and find out if front doors are available. Will provide you his mobile number shortly. Anyways I will keep going towards Malur/Kolar now onwards to find one or other spares for my vehicle :-)

Quote:
Was your vehicle parked in teachers colony this week?
It will be parked in Teachers colony hereafterwards.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th November 2011 at 18:24. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks
sriny_blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:02   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Back door costed us Rs.650/- but unfortunate the size doesn't match as per Mechanic, need to find a solution to fix the same
We went to the old mechanic workshop (the one who did the tinkering) and got few things done.
The same backdoor was fixed to JEEP and it was a perfect fit !

An exhaust gasket, (I guess thats what its called) which was missing, was fixed to and the sound of engine has reduced.

A IRVM was fixed.

There seems to be some problem in changing gears and we are unable to engage gears smoothly and not sure whats wrong!
Old 22nd November 2011, 19:24   #43
BHPian

Quote:
There seems to be some problem in changing gears and we are unable to engage gears smoothly and not sure whats wrong!
We had been to the Mechanic today and left the JEEP for a checkup on gear shifting issue.
When we went there around evening a shocking news was awaited ..... It seems the gearbox did not have any oil in it and only water was found inside.

Mechanic suggested to buy a used GB from the GUJRI, instead of repairing the existing.. tomorrow we need to visit shivajinagar to find a gearbox for our 540..
hmm wonder how much does it cost? He estimated it may cost anywhere between 4 ~5k for a used GB of MM540. Also not sure on the condition of the same and whether would it be reliable! any leads on the same would be helpful !
Old 22nd November 2011, 20:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

^ seems like a story of cart before horse!!

I did not read all the pages, but death wobble, tyres, regn# topic coming up before knowing water is inside GB??!!

Also mech seems to be taking you for a ride - i can safely claim/assume/gloat that a KMT90 can run on water for quite a while with very minimal damage to the actual gears!! Of course all bearings will be gone for a toss - but not the GB itself. Please open the GB 1st and then let us know which of the individual components have gone bust...

PS - If you love chocolates open up the differential/s (crown, housing, many names)... except a rude surprise there!!
Old 22nd November 2011, 22:50   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
^ seems like a story of cart before horse!!

Also mech seems to be taking you for a ride - i can safely claim/assume/gloat that a KMT90 can run on water for quite a while with very minimal damage to the actual gears!! Of course all bearings will be gone for a toss -
Looks like it might have run for some time in water by previous owner !!! (G regn)

Quote:
but not the GB itself. Please open the GB 1st and then let us know which of the individual components have gone bust...
Thanks for the input Santosh, we are also of the same opinion. What we noticed was the teeth were intact however, the mech claims that when the gearbox is opened lot of work is involved and need to change the entire gammut and not worth the cost involved for repairs and recommended us for replacement of GB in exchange of old one in Gujari. We have brought the GB along with us and now after reading your post we are convinced to find a GB repair shop to inspect the same elsewhere.

Quote:
PS - If you love chocolates open up the differential/s (crown, housing, many names)... except a rude surprise there!!
We are reading this and be ready for the un-expected !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks