Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2011, 11:26   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Confusion regarding weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post

When i suggested Doc the sd25 , it was not by google or just theory , i have used that Jeep offroad and on road.
You can make millions of pages with all the technical data in the world , but one drive is enough, every thing else can go to the garbage can.
Still , even now there is no comment from anyone who have used/use or experienced that engine , its like looking at the recipe and telling the taste of a dish .

IF you have ever looked in to the low bonnet hood, you can see that a 2.4L diesel is a tight fit .The commonly used 2.4L engines are the G1 and 307 .I suggested on what i drove , not by technical facts like its 100 grams lighter or has 2 bhp less. So still my record stands straight.
There were 100s of pages in the thar thread, all speculations, one test drive and everything ends.

I too respect your engineer experience , i will have no clue about what you know about lot of stuff, but i swear you will have no clue of what i know too, i can tell the difference between a converted and original CJ5.

Lets wait for doc to complete the engine transplant and then comment/speculate or what ever.
Personally i dont care if it has 2 valves or 3, or for that matter any technical spec as long as it delivers good power when i drive it.
Hi Sandeep,

On How many JEEPs have YOU done an engine conversion?

From one test drive How can you talk about long term Reliability & Service-ability? What is the variety of the terrain across which these tests, have been conducted?

It takes a few years for a vehicle to reach its reliability/performance curve.

I know of Doc. Jones "PROWLER" since Jan 2006, and what all mods/upgrades he has done, and we have seen how well-maintained the vehicle, and how well the vehicle performs.

Have you met Doc. Jones & seen his vehicle? So your suggestions in this context are purely "theoretical".

Since the common Hyderabadi Recipe for Low Bonnets are G1 & OM616 how come you are suggesting the SD25 for Dr.Jones?

While weighing an engine include these

1) Engine (Head/Block/Crankcase/Flywheel & Running Gear)
2) Alternator
3) Starter Motor
4) Carb & A/C Pump or FIP
5) Bell-Housing (in case its being retained or carried over to the conversion)

The ability to read the specs is quite an unique ability not many people can juggle around with so many facts and technical considerations

Why are you relying on "some one" else's rebuild/ engine conversion to give credibility to your claims. Since you haven't done any of these isn't is purely "THEORETICAL"

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 31st October 2011 at 11:28.
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 13:06   #62
BHPian

Re: Prowler ' THE POCKET ROCKET '. Hit or Miss?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1146916...CO7PxqHynvuiQQ

Engine serviced and transplant started today.
Old 31st October 2011, 13:09   #63
Team-BHP Support

Is it ok to use the transparent white pipes? Wont t they deteriorate with temperature and react to fuel?
Old 31st October 2011, 13:44   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
https://picasaweb.google.com/1146916...CO7PxqHynvuiQQ

Engine serviced and transplant started today.
Hi Doc,

Are you mating the KMT90 to the SD25 Bell-Housing *& Engine) or KMT90 Bell-Housing to the SD25?

Regards,

Arka
Old 31st October 2011, 18:26   #65
BHPian

Hi Jaggu, you are right, they are just for testing, will be replaced.
Arka, Its KMT 90's bell-Housing to the SD 25, didn't want to meddle with either the gear box or the engine except for the conversion plate, already sitting in spikes about how its gonna survive in your OTRs ;-)
Old 31st October 2011, 18:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

Align.

Quote:
Arka, Its KMT 90's bell-Housing to the SD 25, didn't want to meddle with either the gear box or the engine except for the conversion plate, already sitting in spikes about how its gonna survive in your OTRs ;-)
Hi Doc,

What about the Fly Wheel and Starter Motor clearances?

Regards,

Arka
Old 31st October 2011, 19:26   #67
BHPian

Re: Confusion regarding weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Sandeep,

On How many JEEPs have YOU done an engine conversion?

From one test drive How can you talk about long term Reliability & Service-ability? What is the variety of the terrain across which these tests, have been conducted?

It takes a few years for a vehicle to reach its reliability/performance curve.

I know of Doc. Jones "PROWLER" since Jan 2006, and what all mods/upgrades he has done, and we have seen how well-maintained the vehicle, and how well the vehicle performs.

Have you met Doc. Jones & seen his vehicle? So your suggestions in this context are purely "theoretical".

Since the common Hyderabadi Recipe for Low Bonnets are G1 & OM616 how come you are suggesting the SD25 for Dr.Jones?

While weighing an engine include these

1) Engine (Head/Block/Crankcase/Flywheel & Running Gear)
2) Alternator
3) Starter Motor
4) Carb & A/C Pump or FIP
5) Bell-Housing (in case its being retained or carried over to the conversion)

The ability to read the specs is quite an unique ability not many people can juggle around with so many facts and technical considerations

Why are you relying on "some one" else's rebuild/ engine conversion to give credibility to your claims. Since you haven't done any of these isn't is purely "THEORETICAL"

Regards,

Arka
HI EX670c , well i have converted inter to hurricane, Bajaj om616 to mercedes om616 and hurricane to DCM toyota 14bt with a garrett G28 turbo, but the DCM jeep is not ready yet, i have converted a matador 305 to isuzu G1 ( restored the Jeep for a friend) , inter to Di in an cj500d , Om616 to Isuzu G1 in a kaiser CJ5 .I have recently used a scorpio turbo with the Xd3p . Got 4 XD3ps rebuilt and 2 307s rebuilt along with a hurricane.

Its not one test drive , highways , city , rocks, slush etc.Multiple times , atleast 9 times full day .

It does not take few years atleast for us.

Dr.jones prowler might be well maintained no doubt , but an engine will perform the same in a similar kind of vehicle.NO need to see the vehicle,, if it performs well in a similar vehicle of the same dimensions, thats enough.

Saar the hyderabad recipe also includes sd25, isuzu 4fb1.4fc1,toyota 3c etc.

Thanks for the info on weighing an engine.How can you judge the specs by driving it , common Arka .

I am relying on some bodies build because that some ones are close friends like you and headers, and we drive each others Jeeps very often offroad and onroad.

Dude all said and done,
How many Jeeps are there in Chennai(willys low bonnets)
What all engine gear box combos have you seen in Chennai?

Did you drive a sd25 fitted Jeep?
Did you drive a isuzu G1 with a 3 speed GB?
Nissan BD30 with isuzu 5 speed?
Matador with 305 and 3 speed?
Om616 with 3 and 4 speed with kiki pump?
Isuzu with kia 4 speed?
Isuzu c1 with the 5 speed?

Isuzu G1 with the 4 speed?
RD28 with the KMT 90 ?
Hurricane in the CJ5 AND CJ6?
Toyota 2c in a willys cj3b with 5 speed?
Om616 with a kia?
Om616 with a 5 speed isuzu?
Qualis engine with 5 speed?
SD25 with 5 speed?
G1/SD25/OM616 IN cj5/6 AND FJ40?

Well i have , and just show me a decent CJ3B/CJ2A/CJ5/CJ6/M38A1 in Chennai (no offense meant to my Chennai brothers).All mix and match junk not worth looking twice .Lets invite the great legend UBS sir and request him to judge the Jeeps.
Body work
Mechanicals
Upholstery
Fittings
Finishing
Anything you say
I can show you ten .
Please visit Hyderabad . Brother you and me are doing it from just a couple of years, well the Jeep thing is much older.
I can show you alteast 50 well maintained Jeeps. Not converted scrap.

Come and see out austin champ amphibian and Willys MB with the engine tag and body tag .
How many Cj6s are there in Chennai?
We dont say xd3p is bad but there are better engines.
Kindly be our guest and visit Hyderabad and check out in person with pics .

Last edited by Frankenstein : 31st October 2011 at 19:51.
Frankenstein is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 20:23   #68
Senior - BHPian

ROFLMAO: Poor Doc sitting with his "original" jeep and you guys are going all out on everything but helping him run his steed -

Lets start a separate thread for that - The best Mahindra IDI engine vs..
headers is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 20:36   #69
Senior - BHPian

Paint Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
HI EX670c , well i have converted inter to hurricane, Bajaj om616 to mercedes om616 and hurricane to DCM toyota 14bt with a garrett G28 turbo, but the DCM jeep is not ready yet, i have converted a matador 305 to isuzu G1 ( restored the Jeep for a friend) , inter to Di in an cj500d , Om616 to Isuzu G1 in a kaiser CJ5 .I have recently used a scorpio turbo with the Xd3p . Got 4 XD3ps rebuilt and 2 307s rebuilt along with a hurricane.

I am relying on some bodies build because that some ones are close friends like you and headers, and we drive each others Jeeps very often offroad and onroad.

Dude all said and done,
How many Jeeps are there in Chennai(willys low bonnets)
What all engine gear box combos have you seen in Chennai?

ell i have , and just show me a decent CJ3B/CJ2A/CJ5/CJ6/M38A1 in Chennai (no offense meant to my Chennai brothers).All mix and match junk not worth looking twice .Lets invite the great legend UBS sir and request him to judge the Jeeps.
Body work
Mechanicals
Upholstery
Fittings
Finishing
Anything you say
I can show you ten .
Please visit Hyderabad . Brother you and me are doing it from just a couple of years, well the Jeep thing is much older.
I can show you alteast 50 well maintained Jeeps. Not converted scrap.
Hi Sandeep,

My idea of converted Scrap is
1) LHD to RHD
2) Petrol JEEP to a Diesel JEEP.
3) Metallic Paint Jobs
4) non-standard fitments. (Horns/Lights/Sirens/Antenna/Shovel/Pick-Axe)
5) 50/50 or 60/40 Seats to Bucket Seats
6) Bow Top to Scissor Top
7) Civilian to pseudo Military wannabe O-G Types.

WILLYS/JEEP/VIASA/EBRO/HOTCHKISS made more civilian JEEPs than Military JEEPs.

Since you have done so many engine conversion Please guide him about how to mate the engine to the Gearbox.

Kindly list out the peculiarities and difficulties of each conversion, and how to overcome them.

I have a very explicit criteria for rating a JEEP, it is Off-Road Performance and Bomb-Proof Mechanical Reliability.

Any vehicle looks good on top of the hill. Question is can you get there?

Regards,

Arka

PS - What Gear Box is the Merc OM616 JEEP running?
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 18:51   #70
Senior - BHPian

Injector problem solved? What was the problem?
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:20   #71
BHPian

Hi Dan, we are working on the starter motor, top gear and other synchronizing with the engine today. Planning to get everything done , fix the engine , run it for sometime and then take it to chennai to another bosch center and try again.
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:34   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Dan, we are working on the starter motor, top gear and other synchronizing with the engine today. Planning to get everything done , fix the engine , run it for sometime and then take it to chennai to another bosch center and try again.
Hi Doc,

Can you post the following data about the SD25 & XD3P Flywheel

1) Weight
2) Diameter
3) Width/Thickness
4) No. of Teeth (Fly Wheel Ring)
5) Bolt Pattern/Size at the Crankshaft.
6) Clutch Assy Dia.

If possible please post the SD25/Nissan Gearbox Top Gear Shaft length & the KMT90 Top Gear Shaft Length.

Regards,

Arka
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:23   #73
Senior - BHPian

OT OT OT: Doc, my Guruji: Can I please have your old XD3P engine? Thanking in anticipation!
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:39   #74
BHPian

Guys, I see some blocked tubes. I know they are meant to circulate the coolent to cool the oil circulation. Is this like this in the original engine or its previous dumb *** owner has blocked it? I feel the second. Then, should these pipes be reopened? I feel YES. In case there is some block inside the circulatory pipe, how to handle it?
https://picasaweb.google.com/1146916...N-N4OKK4vqCkwE
Old 3rd November 2011, 18:31   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I see some blocked tubes. I know they are meant to circulate the coolent to cool the oil circulation. Is this like this in the original engine or its previous dumb *** owner has blocked it? I feel the second. Then, should these pipes be reopened? I feel YES. In case there is some block inside the circulatory pipe, how to handle it?
In case there is a block, replace with a new one. I am attaching pic of the XD3P oil cooler for better understanding of the system.

Prowler ' THE POCKET ROCKET '. Hit or Miss?-1.jpg

Hope this helps.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed