Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2013, 18:38   #106
BHPian

Re: Prowler ' THE POCKET ROCKET '. Hit or Miss?

@Arka & @ Adi Thanks, the jeep zooms to 75, but prolong cruising gets to you due to high engine RPMs. Will have it changed to 4.27 . Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi NC1Bad,

Whats the use of putting a bigger engine when gearing will kill it.

You can try a few intermediate diff-ratio and tyre combinations to get better road speed.

4.27/4.3 or 4.55:1 with 31" Tyres.

Regards,

Arka
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
As Arka suggested, this is also the combination I use and its working out well. 3.73 will make the whole conversion pointless to some extent

Cheers,
Adi
Old 6th February 2013, 20:28   #107
BANNED

Sandeep,I think you are the best man to answer my query regarding the engine cut off system.Waiting for your reply.
Old 4th April 2013, 13:22   #108
BHPian

Nozzle for SD 25

Hi, I need a set of new nozzles for my SD 25 engine. Iam not sure of the part no, if anyone can give me the number and where to source it from will be greatly appreciated. As from my search in the net the No is DNOSDN199 for SD 25 engine, the nozzle in my engine is DNOSD193 which is given as the nozzle for SD 22/23. Any kind of details on this topic including whether there is a replacement in Bosch { With number } is needed. Thanks.
Old 15th April 2013, 21:49   #109
BHPian

Re: Nozzle for SD 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
Hi, I need a set of new nozzles for my SD 25 engine. Iam not sure of the part no, if anyone can give me the number and where to source it from will be greatly appreciated. As from my search in the net the No is DNOSDN199 for SD 25 engine, the nozzle in my engine is DNOSD193 which is given as the nozzle for SD 22/23. Any kind of details on this topic including whether there is a replacement in Bosch { With number } is needed. Thanks.
Doc its the Bosch DN193 used for the sd25.

Dr.Jones can you please post a review of your experience with this new engine transplant.

Last edited by Frankenstein : 15th April 2013 at 21:50.
Frankenstein is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 17:24   #110
BHPian

Sure Frank, just let me fix the new nozzle and give a report. Thanks.
drjones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 21:07   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps aulakh View Post
The SD25 comes with a mechanical wire pull type engine cutoff system which seems rather obsolete.All the engines i have seen here in the local scrap market have this.Is there a way of changing to an electronic cut off or do we have to replace the FIP to a rotary system like the CAV or MICO pump for this.
What is the problem in pulling the lever to shut off the engine?

Rotary pump will ruin the power.

Nissan sd25 has a pneumatic governor inline diesel kiki pump with 6.5mm elements. Cant you see the potential .

Last edited by Frankenstein : 17th April 2013 at 21:08.
Frankenstein is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 10:07   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Nissan sd25 has a pneumatic governor inline diesel kiki pump with 6.5mm elements. Cant you see the potential .
@Sandeep - Can you explain the potential ?

The SD25 drives well, - but I cant see a marked difference between that and the XD3P

Any specific tests to test the capability of the machine that you would want to suggest?

A pneumatic governor in the KIKI pump with 6.5mm elements - can you elaborate? How does the pneumatic governor work? where is the air source of supply?

Thanks
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 21:15   #113
BHPian

Hi Guys, Final report of Prowler. Please keep in mind, Iam not a jeep or engine genius. If you give me a jeep, I just know to drive it a little. These are my observations with that.
I had been in a lot of dilemma about my engine swap for my Prowler. My XD3P was good, no doubt, just wanted a change after nearly 7-8 yrs. I narrowed it down to SD 25 with lot of hesitation and opposition. Frankenstein was the person who gave me encouragement. Whole credit goes to him for his guidance through out.
Procuring the parts were a little tough this side of the country. Did a complete rebuild including the kiki pump with genuine spares of which some had to be imported. Could not get a new set of nozzles that time. The first drive was impressive, smoother, powerful, higher revvablity, no heating problems etc everything compared to my XD3P, no doubts about it. I did the Bangy OTR with it. It was good, as headers mentioned, that time it was good.....MMmmmm...
But, I wasn't too exited about it. The nozzles were troubling me constantly in my mind. Stared searching for a genuine replacement through out the world, no joke, couldn't get the exact part number. Frank to the rescue, gave me the equivalent number in Bosch. The irony is , I got it from a Bosch service center just 50 mts from my house. Changed and tuned the pump.
I started to laugh as soon as I took the jeep for a TD. To start with, I did a burn out on tarmac when I started it. The power was something like a devil sitting inside the engine. The power and revvablity was way beyond my XD3P. I know a bit about both the engine specs theoretically, a slight difference in power, bhp, torque, etc....Its all bull. You have to drive it to believe. Both the engines are way different. The SD25 is at least 30 % more powerful, smoother, higher revving, and has absolutely no heating problem. At gears , the pick up is like a CRDI engine, in second gear I could do wheel spin with ease. I love this engine, too good. Iam not going to say anything much, anyone who wants to share their opinion against mine, just one humble request. Please TD my Prowler and then share. Iam not saying this with a heavy head, its a very sincere request. Welcome guys for a TD anytime.
drjones is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 22:30   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@Sandeep - Can you explain the potential ?

The SD25 drives well, - but I cant see a marked difference between that and the XD3P

Any specific tests to test the capability of the machine that you would want to suggest?

A pneumatic governor in the KIKI pump with 6.5mm elements - can you elaborate? How does the pneumatic governor work? where is the air source of supply?

Thanks
Hi Headers air source is the engine throttle body, you can see a pipe from the governor to the throttle body, more air and more fuel.
You can ask me on what basis i had arrived at this conclusion?
In my low bonnet Jeep , when the hose from the turbo to the intake manifold is removed, effectively the engine is naturally aspirated. My pump setting is very low on fuel ,now when the engine is revved to the max ,driving or at idle with out the turbo connected, there is zero black smoke even at max rpm.Connect the turbo hose and there is some decent black smoke after say 50% throttle, the pump is sending more fuel cause of the increased air by the turbo.. Testing? how do i test it , on road/offroad , inclines , there is no sand this side of the country and terrain is dry.May be i can request Fazal bhai to bring his Jeep and compare taking a video.
6.5mm elements deliver more Juice, stock mico is 5.5mm elements.
So if you want more power NA this pumo can be tuned easily and turbo charge applications benefit tremendously from this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
Hi Guys, Final report of Prowler. Please keep in mind, Iam not a jeep or engine genius. If you give me a jeep, I just know to drive it a little. These are my observations with that.
I had been in a lot of dilemma about my engine swap for my Prowler. My XD3P was good, no doubt, just wanted a change after nearly 7-8 yrs. I narrowed it down to SD 25 with lot of hesitation and opposition. Frankenstein was the person who gave me encouragement. Whole credit goes to him for his guidance through out.
Procuring the parts were a little tough this side of the country. Did a complete rebuild including the kiki pump with genuine spares of which some had to be imported. Could not get a new set of nozzles that time. The first drive was impressive, smoother, powerful, higher revvablity, no heating problems etc everything compared to my XD3P, no doubts about it. I did the Bangy OTR with it. It was good, as headers mentioned, that time it was good.....MMmmmm...
But, I wasn't too exited about it. The nozzles were troubling me constantly in my mind. Stared searching for a genuine replacement through out the world, no joke, couldn't get the exact part number. Frank to the rescue, gave me the equivalent number in Bosch. The irony is , I got it from a Bosch service center just 50 mts from my house. Changed and tuned the pump.
I started to laugh as soon as I took the jeep for a TD. To start with, I did a burn out on tarmac when I started it. The power was something like a devil sitting inside the engine. The power and revvablity was way beyond my XD3P. I know a bit about both the engine specs theoretically, a slight difference in power, bhp, torque, etc....Its all bull. You have to drive it to believe. Both the engines are way different. The SD25 is at least 30 % more powerful, smoother, higher revving, and has absolutely no heating problem. At gears , the pick up is like a CRDI engine, in second gear I could do wheel spin with ease. I love this engine, too good. Iam not going to say anything much, anyone who wants to share their opinion against mine, just one humble request. Please TD my Prowler and then share. Iam not saying this with a heavy head, its a very sincere request. Welcome guys for a TD anytime.
Doc congratulations on your Jeep.

First time i drove a 3b with SD25, the jeep was kind of lifting from the front, the feeling you get in a powerful automatic suv. That engine was at its fag end drinking oil and it had a 4.27 crown.

That engine went for a rebuild , meanwhile a brand new sd25 was installed in the Jeep for run in period which was to be used in a willys station wagon later, this new engine had a mico pump and was a duck , i can say similar to the xd3p. Now the rebuilt engine with kiki is back in the 3b and shes fast for a NA, feels like an accent crdi engine .
This engine like you said puts a smile on your face . In one of the offroad seasons, there was a small muddy lake to be crossed around 300 feet long, all the other Jees did it in 2nd low and barely cleared it, there was a sound in the back ground that of a gypsy with an aftermarket exhaust, this run down engine jeep was doing it in 1st hi ,it was just awesome.

I tried very hard to get close to the sd25 with my om616.Changed the pump, used a sd25 throttle body, i did get to say maybe 80 percent of the nissan. No short chasis Jeep could beat mine in Hyd in power except the sd25 one.
Drove a scorpio powered 3b in kerala , voila it was much better than mine but too heavy for the small Jeep .
Did the impossible , searched for turbo kits for the om616, some Rajays had made a kit in the 1982s and it ran fine in the mercedes 240d.
Recently rebuilt the whole engine in Hyd, tuned the kiki for less power since it was running in period, changed the gb from the 3 speed to the isuzu 4 speed and 4.88 diffs. Test drove it with the conservative fuel setting, results i will post a video, Frankenstein got scared to drive it, Scorpio , thars , skodas , vw vento etc were like ducks after this. 25 psi boost and tooooo much power.Finally need to fit a blow off valve to arrest compressor surge when the throttle plate close. AM i happy, no i am not , cant control the Jeep now , it needs a bigger body may be a Gurkha .

I have a very small interesting mod for your manual steering if you are interested which will make it 50 percent lighter.
Doc all we Jepeers are helpful end of the day, Arka , UBS sir, Mp sreenivasan, Allan , vijay , Fazal Bhai to name a few, I have understood with all our combined support we can make things easy and to look at things in a different way of WHAT IF.
Frankenstein is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 07:24   #115
Senior - BHPian

Dear Frank,

Please specify, what kind of comparison tests do you have in mind for SD25 vs XD3P. I will take part in the exercise not for the competition between two engines, but as a continuation to a healthy discussion.

As you know my Jeep is running on 4.88 and is off road specific, hence I would not be interested in any on road races.

Edit: I am swapping this LUCAS CAV ROTODIESEL, France, with the present one I have on my Jeep. The external levers and rotor will need to be changed.

Arka, Vikram, your opinion on the pump.
drjones, Sorry for the long post.

Regards,

Prowler ' THE POCKET ROCKET '. Hit or Miss?-20130420-14.36.45.jpg

Prowler ' THE POCKET ROCKET '. Hit or Miss?-20130420-14.38.33.jpg

Prowler ' THE POCKET ROCKET '. Hit or Miss?-20130420-14.38.59.jpg

Prowler ' THE POCKET ROCKET '. Hit or Miss?-20130420-14.36.54.jpg

Prowler ' THE POCKET ROCKET '. Hit or Miss?-20130420-14.39.33.jpg

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 21st April 2013 at 07:34.
Old 21st April 2013, 08:29   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Arka, Vikram, your opinion on the pump.
drjones, Sorry for the long post.
Hi Fazal,

IMO, the bosch inline pumps are better than the CAV lucas rotary pumps. I do not have much experience swapping pumps in the same engine configuration.

Like Doc, I like to drive the ?alls of any vehicle if i can. I would love to TD Frankies above jeep to see what difference it makes!

BTW, Doc, when are we going to hit the terrain? How about next sunday?

Am really glad to know the prowler is flying now - Time to make it sit and move on any terrain nature gifts us with
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 11:43   #117
BHPian

Fazil Sir, IMHO, we can check for the pick up in tarmac and not the top speed. Or, try to pull something heavy with similar weight loaded in the jeep to prevent wheel spin. All this if we need a direct comparison only. Better one will be a simple TD a SWB with SD25.

Frank, Iam very interested in your little secrets ;-), now , whatz about the manual steering? its a chronic affair in mine.

Headers, when can we have the next OTR? Iam waiting, just plan and ping me, I'll be there. I want yours and Arka's opinion on Prowler. Both of your opinion will be much appreciated and respected. Thanks.
drjones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 10:27   #118
Senior - BHPian

Doc, waiting for your report on the Prowlers performance during our recent outings

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks