Team-BHP - Trax Gurkha - As good as it gets??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Trax Gurkha - As good as it gets?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/11847-trax-gurkha-good-gets-41.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurkha (Post 1158216)
The international press especially the Euro press have thoroughly tested and reviewed the Gurkha, lately so have the Indian press, actually the Judo was tested against CJ, Gypsy, Safari and applauded for its extreme off road capabilities by Overdrive mag in 2000 so its not that it hasn't received its share of reviews and comparisons.

yes gurkha,
It was in BS motoring magazine (not OD)in their annual slush fest review in 2000. That was my most read article, i read it again and again and again:). The comparison was made between a Judo (om616turbo) 4wd, Mahindra Quadro (basically a MM550 XDB with NGCS& BA 10 4wd), safari and Gypsy king (carburated version). It was probably for the first and last time any mag in india did articualtion test. They chose M&M Mahindra quadro as a winner due to its shortwheel base, awsome power and agility. However the second best Judo was very closely rated to M&M.

It was a little unfair comparison, two medium wheel based light vehicles with the other two long wheel base versions. It would be interesting if some mag does a fair and professional comparison between the gurkha, MM550 XDB and the Gypsy in medium wheel base categories since all are production models.

In long wheel base versions there could be a comparison between a scorpio 4wd, safari 4wd and probabaly Gama 4wd....wouldnt it be interesting?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinod_nookala (Post 1158737)
yes gurkha,
It was probably for the first and last time any mag in india did articualtion test. They chose M&M Mahindra quadro as a winner due to its shortwheel base, awsome power and agility. However the second best Judo was very closely rated to M&M.

Overdrive did such test before BS motoring, in november issue 1999, they had the SWB & LWB 4WD trax, gurkha and judo respectively ,M&M classic,gypsy MG413 carb.
With Hari singh for evaluation along with OD team, the test was one of the best as it was conducted at NCAT, Ahmednagar. The best part of the test was the 30 deg incline climb test for all the vehicles. On which the gruhka andjudo were the best.

Hi dinar,
Do you have a copy of it? I mean if you have it then can you post it by scanning it? Would be great!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinod_nookala (Post 1158991)
Hi dinar,
Do you have a copy of it? I mean if you have it then can you post it by scanning it? Would be great!!!

I do have a copy of that, I'll try and get it scanned once I am free. Will try and get it scanned, and post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinod_nookala (Post 1158737)
It was a little unfair comparison, two medium wheel based light vehicles with the other two long wheel base versions. It would be interesting if some mag does a fair and professional comparison between the gurkha, MM550 XDB and the Gypsy in medium wheel base categories since all are production models.

In long wheel base versions there could be a comparison between a scorpio 4wd, safari 4wd and probabaly Gama 4wd....wouldnt it be interesting?

Is Gamma still in production ? Could not find on Force web site and the only time I spotted on road was a badly rusted one looking almost like junk yard peace in Khandwa ( M.P) belonging to some government department.

At that time I was not T-BHP member so laughed on the contradictory name and looks (Beemar Gama Pehelwan)

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitk26 (Post 1159273)
Is Gamma still in production ? Could not find on Force web site and the only time I spotted on road was a badly rusted one looking almost like junk yard peace in Khandwa ( M.P) belonging to some government department.

It has always been there on Force Website. Yes, very much in production.

...::: Welcome to Force Motors : Products Section :::...

Thanks Samurai but there is no info on any thing about Gamma

I wish if they would have put some thing about engine spec instead of features such as [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]• Attractive new Look & attractive decals.[/SIZE][/FONT]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1159380)
It has always been there on Force Website. Yes, very much in production.

...::: Welcome to Force Motors : Products Section :::...

Engine is same as that of Gurkha!

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitk26 (Post 1159400)

Please see carefully, when you scroll down, you can see a link that says download. That contains the full brochure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitk26 (Post 1159400)

I wish if they would have put some thing about engine spec instead of features such as [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]• Attractive new Look & attractive decals.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Dear Amit,
Here is the link http://forcemotors.com/media/downloa...II_08_CtoC.pdf
Cheers,
Deepak

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinar (Post 1158622)
A tat 1210 engine? was it a six cylinder engine? usually these vehicles are converted with 4 cylinder diesel engines, out of M&Ms or any other pickup.

That's what the driver said, with grudging pride, which overrode his deep suspicion of why a bhadralok should be asking these very intimate questions. His pride, as I mentioned, impelled him to open the bonnet and show me the huge engine inside, but it was a momentary glimpse, at about 8 in the evening on Bentinck Street two months ago. He mentioned that they had to put in special engine mounts to hold the engine which was oversized, but not much more; didn't know much more. They are down to the last three, I think he said, and those'll go this March, come financial year end.

There may be one coming out of Panagarh in a day or two, also perhaps a Nissan one-tonne, but this doesn't ring my bells, there's not much I can do about the situation at the present. Too bad; when I can do something, there won't be such opportunities. Such is life....

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonobashi (Post 1159838)
That's what the driver said, with grudging pride, which overrode his deep suspicion of why a bhadralok should be asking these very intimate questions. His pride, as I mentioned, impelled him to open the bonnet and show me the huge engine inside, but it was a momentary glimpse, at about 8 in the evening on Bentinck Street two months ago. He mentioned that they had to put in special engine mounts to hold the engine which was oversized, but not much more; didn't know much more. They are down to the last three, I think he said, and those'll go this March, come financial year end.

There may be one coming out of Panagarh in a day or two, also perhaps a Nissan one-tonne, but this doesn't ring my bells, there's not much I can do about the situation at the present. Too bad; when I can do something, there won't be such opportunities. Such is life....

The inline MB 6 used in Tata 1210 has been a standard graft for Nissan Patrol, the Patrol has enough space inside its engine bay as it comes with a inline 6. The HINO W04D leaves plenty of space inside.

I know of the 1 TON getting the inline 6 , most people in Mumbai will be familiar with these Tow truck, we had one with us on the office.
Have heard of extreme offroader builds with these engines based on Jonga chassis, but for commercial use these engine? they drink diesel like it's water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinar (Post 1160584)
I know of the 1 TON getting the inline 6 , most people in Mumbai will be familiar with these Tow truck, we had one with us on the office.
Have heard of extreme offroader builds with these engines based on Jonga chassis, but for commercial use these engine? they drink diesel like it's water.

Actually the inclusion of Tata 1210 engine would mean that 4WD would have to be removed. The best engine in diesel so far is the indomitable HINO, I bought the Jonga for that reason solely apart from the design. Put a turbo and it would turn to be a mega monster.

^^^ yes yes a Gurkha beater!! :)