Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2012, 11:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods

Nice mods... I like the focus you have towards keeping your machine simple yet functional. I am a strong believer of a fact that the Bolero 4x4 is still a very less understood/explored vehicle from the offroad stand point purely due to people's inability to accept it as a serious offroader. Its a mindset issue I reckon.

The only loop hole as i see it is the diff ratio, a 4.27 (or more) should make it extremely capable along side sensible mods like that of yours. I in my experience have seen Mahindra GE mgmt team use Bolero's with full occupancy like no mans business during their recce's and offroad events. Was infact baffled to see one of the marshall's vehicles beat down obstacles like they never existed during the Chikkamagalur G.Escape (yr 2010 Im guessing) which was one of their better escapades due to a respectable selection of the terrain and season meant for 4x4s only. I was following this vehicle in my '87 540 with 5.32ratio.

Good job, keep it going...

Last edited by The Wolf : 28th April 2012 at 11:07.
Old 8th May 2012, 23:31   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf
The only loop hole as i see it is the diff ratio, a 4.27 (or more) should make it extremely capable along side sensible mods like that of yours. I in my experience have seen Mahindra GE mgmt team use Bolero's with full occupancy like no mans business during their recce's and offroad events. Was infact baffled to see one of the marshall's vehicles beat down obstacles like they never existed
As Vinod_Nookala has mentioned in some other post that these M&M recovery Boleros are equipped with 4.88 ratio & some body lift as well. Great potential if modded sensibly like done here. Can be best expedition vehicle with security of closed doors & 4wd option in this price range. I really hope they should release LX models for normal public a well.
Old 17th August 2012, 11:00   #33
BHPian

@ vak: Sorry to bump an old thread, but I think I saw your Bolero going towards Thrissur yesterday evening. I drove past in the opposite direction on my way back on the SH 69 to Calicut, near Lulu International.

Have you done any further changes to your ride? Your Bolero looks like it means business!
Old 17th August 2012, 11:53   #34
BHPian

vak, good write up of your long term bolero 4x4.

But bolero with out power steering is tough task daily, Brave decision this shows your passon for a 4x4.

I think gypsy is good with out power steering, but no diesel in gypsy.

I have enquired about bolero 4x4, but the dealer refuses to accept that bolero comes with 4x4. God save mahindra from the dealers.

dealers are the culprits who are killing 4x4 s in india.
Old 17th August 2012, 13:02   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbones
I have enquired about bolero 4x4, but the dealer refuses to accept that bolero comes with 4x4. God save mahindra from the dealers.

dealers are the culprits who are killing 4x4 s in india.
I think this is because Mahindra has now dicontinued the SLX 4x4 model.
The remaining model DI 4wd is either have very long waiting period or not easily available to public, as its for govt. use (as per sime dealers).

Now there was this news of New Bolero ZLX in 4wd variant, but as of now its not listed over site. Not sure if dealers are accepting booking. Anyways it will be over 8-9 lakh on road.
Old 18th August 2012, 20:24   #36
BHPian

One more thing for the gurus.
Can we fit a gear lock on a 4wd Boleros? As the base of main gear lever and 4wd selector is quite close to each other. Dont trust dealers unless its done before.

Also how safe is it to use the standard hub locks and continue to drive in 2wd mode?
Old 19th August 2012, 13:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
One more thing for the gurus.
Can we fit a gear lock on a 4wd Boleros? As the base of main gear lever and 4wd selector is quite close to each other. Dont trust dealers unless its done before.

Also how safe is it to use the standard hub locks and continue to drive in 2wd mode?
It's safe. Safety is not the issue. You may notice no difference in handling at all between 2wd locked and free if your alignment is correct and your front end is healthy. Many experienced drivers will notice the small difference, however.

If you don't install hub locks there will be rotation of the front wheel drive components when you are in 2 wheel mode. This will result in friction which will slightly shorten the life of your front wheel components over much time and slightly lower your fuel average. I have hub locks. When I know I might encounter a situation where I need 4 wheel drive I lock the hubs well in advance of the situation. E.g. that morning or kilometers before I get into the muck. The wear especially at low speeds is very small and not a big issue. Handling is a non-issue.
DirtyDan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 15:34   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan

It's safe. Safety is not the issue. You may notice no difference in handling at all between 2wd locked and free if your alignment is correct and your front end is healthy. Many experienced drivers will notice the small difference, however.

If you don't install hub locks there will be rotation of the front wheel drive components when you are in 2 wheel mode. This will result in friction which will slightly shorten the life of your front wheel components over much time and slightly lower your fuel average. I have hub locks. When I know I might encounter a situation where I need 4 wheel drive I lock the hubs well in advance of the situation. E.g. that morning or kilometers before I get into the muck. The wear especially at low speeds is very small and not a big issue. Handling is a non-issue.
Thanks for the detailed answer

How about fitting of gear lock in a 4wd vehicle? Will it fit properly considering the 4wd selector nearby.
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:36   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac
How about fitting of gear lock in a 4wd vehicle?
Will it fit properly considering the 4wd selector nearby.
Dear all,
Please help.
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:01   #40
Senior - BHPian

how about fitting it from co-driver's side? Some juggad is needed, but see the space/viability... some pics of product may help.
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:11   #41
Senior - BHPian

But how does it help Santosh/Offroad_Maniac? Inspite of the gear lock, one can still use the 4wd selector and bring the car to neutral isn't it?
Old 24th August 2012, 10:29   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter
But how does it help Santosh/Offroad_Maniac? Inspite of the gear lock, one can still use the 4wd selector and bring the car to neutral isn't it?
Ohh. Is it the case? But even if it goes in neutral, they (thieves) will have to push it all the way which will be a hard task.
I have seen picture of gear lck fitted in SLX model (sriku's) but not sure , if 4wd lever when pushed to Low will interfere with lock or not.
If it can be fitted from co-driver side then nothing like it, but then we may have to lock it in 2nd instead of Reverse?
Old 24th October 2012, 09:42   #43
BHPian

Hi Vak,

I'm trying to fix an ac in my Thar Di. Can you tell me which pulley you used for the install?
Old 24th October 2012, 09:56   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
Hi Vak,

I'm trying to fix an ac in my Thar Di. Can you tell me which pulley you used for the install?
Hi Joe, If you are not planning power steering you can go for the OEM two slot pulley from the Bolero DI. If you are planning on power steering, then you need to source the 3 slot pulley which is not easily available. Some good AC mechanics can make the pulleys for you at a lathe.

See my team-bhp DI Thar thread, I have mentioned the complications of putting AC in DI Thar.
Old 24th October 2012, 10:28   #45
BHPian

Thanks for the quick reply. I have your Thar DI thread in my boomarks. The blower is already installed so there is no going back. I might have to move the passenger seat a few inches back though.
The AC guy has sent the pulley to Kovai but I prefer an OEM one. I'll try to source the 2 slot pulley from Cochin.

Most Viewed