Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2012, 15:28   #1
vak
BHPian

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods

It has been 21000 km and one year since I bought my Bolero Di 4x4. I thought it was the right time for me to write down my opinion on my vehicle and about the various modification done on my vehicle.

Bolero Di 4wd is really a good vehicle for some one looking for a heavyduty, no-frills offroader but also want some security and comfort of a hard top 5 door 4x4. But let me make it clear as mentioned above it is meant for people who want a heavy duty 4x4 and can live with crude under pinnings.

Let me list the drawbacks of Bolero Di 4x4 first.

1. There is no power steering : Bolero Di 4wd doesnot come with power steering. I wanted a Bolero with P/S but there was no option. Either you can get a one with P/s or one with 4x4, not both. So I opted for 4x4 and was planning to fit the p/s later. But now there is a model called Bolero LX 4wd which comes with p/s and MDI3200 engine. But the LX model was earlier fitted with the old XDP4.9 engine when I bought my Bolero, so didnot opt for LX at that time. But since last six months LX comes with the MDI3200 or may be now the new MDIcr engine. So any one interested in getting a Bolero 4wd can have this model. Bolero LX 4wd is meant for Goverment and other corporates, you will have to force the dealer to sell this model to you.

I am yet to fit p/s in my Bolero as the price quoted at MASS was too high at Rs74000/-. But I really want p/s as it is really difficult in city traffic because of the bigger 31-10.50-15 tyres.

2. No a/c : At present Mahindra doesnot have a Bolero model with a/c and 4x4. This is because in MDI3200 engine, the location of a/c compressor is near the front differential housing and there is not enough clearance. This was not a problem in earlier XDP4.9 engine were the a/c compressor was fitted higher and at a different location.

So the solution was to make a custom bracket for the compressor.This was done at MASS and all other parts were Bolero OE. The total cost was Rs67,000/-. I am really satisfied with the fitment and the a/c works and feels like factory fitted.

3. Bumpy ride on road: The front suspension had zero upward suspension travel when it came from the factory.The axle tube was touching the bump stop even in stationary position. To over come this I have recambered the front leaf spring and fitted longer shackles.

Rear leaf spring was also modified by recambering and altering the two stage setup. Rear suspension is designed as a heavy duty unit which means it can carry heavy load and take a lot of abuse. But obviously the ride is hard.The first stage consists of the first 4 leaves and the second consists of the bottom 2 leaves. On normal condition only the first four leaves does the duty but when the vehicle is heavily loaded or under articulation the the second stage also comes into duty. What I have done is that I have flatened the fourth leaf and made it a part of the second stage. So on normal conditions only the first 3 leaves does the duty. Now the on road ride is much better.

I also tried the CFL at the rear. Though the ride was very good. The vehicle was sitting lower, resulting in lower under body clearance and also affecting the departures angle. So I switched back to the OE leaf springs

4. Under powered engine: With just 63 bhp it is really lethargic to even reach 100kmph,which is its maximum speed. In the Highways it is really difficult to keep up with modern cars. But in off road situation the engine is good enough.

5. Cheap Interior : Dont expect luxury, the theme is basic and utilitarian. It is rexine everywhere, the seats are covered in rexine and the roof is covered in rexine. The window winders are made of cheap plastic and if we apply too much pressure it just falls off. There is no carpet on the floor, there are only rubber mats. But these I believe are blessings in disguise. You dont need to worry about the carpet getting wet in deep river crossing, there are also no fabric seat to get dirty.

I had a situation where I was stuck in a deep water crossing and water entered inside the vehicle. After the recovery all I had to do was to take out the rubber mats and flush out the mud using water, and it was clean.

Now the good part.

For the price you pay, you get a lot of hardware.

1. Space : the vehicle is really spacious, you will never feel cramped inside. I am yet to see a 4x4 with this much leg room in the rear seat.

2. Solid and heavy duty driveline : The chassis, engine, axles and suspension can take a lot of beating and are easy to repair. The chassis is tubular and the axles are Dana 44 front and rear. The MDI3200 engine is crude, shows its agrarian genes (it is derived from the International tractor engine) but is good for 3,00,000 km and gives 13kmpl.

3. Really looks purposeful: Even though every one has different tastes and opinion on looks. I think the vehicle really looks good and has a good presence. Bolero Di which is having a slightly longer wheel base than regular Bolero, looks big.

4. Offroading Ability: I have taken my Bolero to every place where a Thar or a MM550 has gone. With solid axles in front and rear; and adequate articulation, Bolero has been really good in offroad.

I had a situation where I had to pull out my relative's Nissan X-trail using my Bolero. X-trail was getting stuck in terrain were Bolero just eased through.

5. Practicality and security of a hard top and five doors: I had an option of buying a Thar when I got my Bolero. One of the major factors in my decision was the hard top and 5 doors. Vehicle like Thar may be slightly better offroad but it not a practical vehicle for all, because of soft top, two doors and side facing rear seats.

If you know what to expect out of a Bolero 4wd then you will definitely be satisfied. My Bolero is my third car and my only 4x4 at present. I more often take my Bolero than my other cars, the commanding view of the road is excellent and the attention I get from people on road is a bonus.

The modification done on my Bolero

1. Ac
2. Tyres : Yokohama Geolanders A/T-S 31-10.50-15
3. Longer Shackles.
4. Diff Guards
5. Rear custom bumper
6. Rear Pintle Hook
7. Modified Suspension.
8. Raised Side foot steps.
9. Snorkel
10. Hella rallye 3003 and work lamps
11. Free wheeling hubs

Regards,

Vinshad Aziz
Attached Thumbnails
My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-dsc_0875.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-dsc_0877.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-dsc_0880.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-dsc_0886.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-dsc_0887.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-dsc_0889.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-dsc_0893.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-dsc_0900.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-dsc_0896.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-b2.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-img2011102000066.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-img2011102000065.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-img2011102000068.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-img2012011600211.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-img2012021900296.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-snc00157.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-img2012022100298.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-snc00100.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-img2012041700478.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-img2012041800488.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-img2012041800486.jpg  

vak is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 15:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods

Hey congrats. You have a lovely ride. It looks good in white with black cladding. How about adding some alloys to your ride?
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 16:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

This looks like a mean Bolero buddy. Kudos!

Can you share the off road ability of this vehicle?
Old 18th April 2012, 16:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is a really capable vehicle. My friend has the same model as yours (but in silver) and I drive it around quite a bit. The steering after replacing the Apollos with the Geolandars has definitely become more light, which you should also be able to confirm. He has taken it on numerous off roading stints and the vehicle came out strong. As a matter of fact he is right now in Sikkim with the car scaling the peaks where I understand only land rovers rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vak View Post

So the solution was to make a custom bracket for the compressor.This was done at MASS and all other parts were Bolero OE. The total cost was Rs67,000/-. I am really satisfied with the fitment and the a/c works and feels like factory fitted.
That is quite a bit you paid for the ac. My friend got his for 17k, with a Sanden compressor but other parts from National I guess, while fellow Bhpian and friend Blackpearl got his for 32k + 8k for the heater.

From where did you get the front bumper done and how much did it cost for the Hellas ?
Old 18th April 2012, 17:41   #5
WMS
BHPian

It is the most practical 4X4 vehicle available in the current Indian market though no luxuries. I too plan to buy one but a second hand one if i sell one of my gypsies. Your mods are practical glad to see the approach.
Old 18th April 2012, 18:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Dear VAK,
I have seen this Bolero in Kuttikanam great escape and was mighty impressed. Good mods you have done. Your Bolero in current form is perfectly suitable for expeditions. For serious off road driving you may have to change the axle ratio from current 3.73 to 4.27. But i guess if you are happy dont tamper with it.
Old 18th April 2012, 19:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

1) Can you post a better pic of the rear pintle hook? Where and how is it mounted? Did you have ready 4 holes, or did you do some mod?

2) What GB and Transfer case does your machine have?

3) Also can you post more pics of snorkel from the right side of the jeep, and from the engine bay too?
Old 19th April 2012, 11:28   #8
BHPian

Congrats VAK,

Very purposeful looking Bolero.

Also like the dash board fascia with the A/C controls. Did you have it cutome made or got it off the shelf ? Rs. 67,000 for the A/C sounds steep.

As requested by Santosh ,more pictures of the snorkel please .

Last edited by mitrajdeep : 19th April 2012 at 11:30.
Old 19th April 2012, 11:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Perfect example of a utilitarian vehicle, subtle and neat looking. Good job with the Bolero VAK. Wonder why Yokohama never provided the Geolanders in 16 inches with the white lettering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
For serious off road driving you may have to change the axle ratio from current 3.73 to 4.27.
Ok the 1st step towards a sin, ***temptation***

Quote:
But i guess if you are happy dont tamper with it.
Now time to back off, I have sown the seeds and let him reap the whirlwind.Let VAK start scratching his head . (pun intended)
Old 19th April 2012, 20:37   #10
vak
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
This is a really capable vehicle. My friend has the same model as yours (but in silver) and I drive it around quite a bit. The steering after replacing the Apollos with the Geolandars has definitely become more light, which you should also be able to confirm. He has taken it on numerous off roading stints and the vehicle came out strong. As a matter of fact he is right now in Sikkim with the car scaling the peaks where I understand only land rovers rule.

That is quite a bit you paid for the ac. My friend got his for 17k, with a Sanden compressor but other parts from National I guess, while fellow Bhpian and friend Blackpearl got his for 32k + 8k for the heater.

From where did you get the front bumper done and how much did it cost for the Hellas ?
The front bumper was done by myself. There is nothing better than doing it DIY. I got Hella rallye 3003 for around Rs8000 a pair.

Quote:
Dear VAK,
I have seen this Bolero in Kuttikanam great escape and was mighty impressed. Good mods you have done. Your Bolero in current form is perfectly suitable for expeditions. For serious off road driving you may have to change the axle ratio from current 3.73 to 4.27. But i guess if you are happy dont tamper with it.
Yes, I was there for the MGE. You got me thinking, regarding the diff ratios. But what is your opinion on lowering the transfer case ratio? rather than the diff ratios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
1) Can you post a better pic of the rear pintle hook? Where and how is it mounted? Did you have ready 4 holes, or did you do some mod?

2) What GB and Transfer case does your machine have?

3) Also can you post more pics of snorkel from the right side of the jeep, and from the engine bay too?
Yes there were four holes in the rear cross member. There were also small steel tubes welded inside each holes to take the bolt. I have not seen this in SLE, SLX or LX or even in DI 2wd.

The pintle hook was mounted on a Military MM550 pintle hook mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrajdeep View Post
Congrats VAK,

Very purposeful looking Bolero.

Also like the dash board fascia with the A/C controls. Did you have it cutome made or got it off the shelf ? Rs. 67,000 for the A/C sounds steep.

As requested by Santosh ,more pictures of the snorkel please .
Dash is the OE Bolero SLX one. All the parts that when into a/c fitment were OE, the condensor, the evaporator, the climate box, the blower and other fitments. Even the wiring kit was changed. Thats why the cost. The fitment was done at TVS motors, cochin, the Mahindra dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Perfect example of a utilitarian vehicle, subtle and neat looking. Good job with the Bolero VAK. Wonder why Yokohama never provided the Geolanders in 16 inches with the white lettering.

Ok the 1st step towards a sin, ***temptation***

Now time to back off, I have sown the seeds and let him reap the whirlwind.Let VAK start scratching his head . (pun intended)
Yes, I am scratching my head.

More pictures to follow.

Regards,

Vinshad Aziz
Attached Thumbnails
My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-img2012041800485.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-snc00215.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-img2012041900507.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-img2012041900506.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-img2012041900505.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-img2012041900504.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-img2012041900496.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-img2012041900498.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-img2012041900503.jpg  

My new Bolero Di 4x4 and its Mods-img2012041900492.jpg  

vak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 21:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vinshad,
It would be educative to compare your AC compressor fitting with that of Black Pearl.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2738879
Could we have some detailed photographs please.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 19th April 2012, 22:32   #12
Team-BHP Support

I am wondering, if you add PS and AC (total 150K easily), won't you be able to buy a scorpio LX 4x4? (Base model?) by putting in around 10-15000rs extra?
Does it make sense to get this if you are going to fit AC and P/S aftermarket.
Also remember, an aftermarket P/S and A/C (even from auth. service center) won't carry same warranty or have the same reliability as a factor fitted unit.
Old 19th April 2012, 23:22   #13
BHPian

Have seen your Bolero in Kochi a couple of times.

Very neat modifications done. I guess the lamps are from JCB?

You should be saving some of the "Gym time" because of wider tyres & no PS.
Old 20th April 2012, 09:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post

You should be saving some of the "Gym time" because of wider tyres & no PS.
I have driven a similar Bolero with identical tyres in Kolkata traffic, and did parallel parking in a tight squeeze. Its not much of an issue even though I am quite lean. I think the soft walls of these tyres help. The previous OE 215 Acceleres was tedious.
Old 20th April 2012, 11:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vak,

I changed my diff ratios on my Invader to 4:88. You have to change the input spindles and the speedometer gear, too, in order to match up to the 4:88.

The result gives a whole lot more low speed grunt to the vehicle, good for starting up, going up hills and getting thru off-road muck.

The trade off, I get about 12.2 kpl all round FE with this mod. The vehicle runs fine up to 90kph but poops out around 100kph which is fine with me, the roads here poop out at 60-70. Note, my invader is lighter and you won't do quite that well but close never-the-less.

The differance with 4:88 ratio is amazing and enjoyable. But if you are going to do it, make sure whoever is doing it is an expert with dfferentials. They can be finicky. Mine has been trouble free for 40,000k since the mod.
DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks