Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2016, 13:19   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post

Shubhendra Sir - would it be possible for you to share a pic of a harvest green Gypsy? I have been trying hard to see how this color looks on a Gypsy but have been unable to get any good images. Thanks in advance.

More pictures of the Harvest green Gypsy- Click to View

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 13th May 2016 at 13:22.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 13:21   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
More pictures of the Harvest green Gypsy- Click to View

Regards,
Shashi
Thanks Shashi but I do not think this is Harvest Green. This is Forest Green which is no longer in production, as far as I know. This is definitely way better than Harvest Green.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 13:25   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Shashi but I do not think this is Harvest Green. This is Forest Green which is no longer in production, as far as I know. This is definitely way better than Harvest Green.
Oops!! My bad!! Its really the forest green shade.

I am surprised how the dealer has promised to give you shades other than white. I am closely looking at the developments here as my dealer said that Gypsy is available only in white, and in soft top only.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 13:28   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am surprised how the dealer has promised to give you shades other than white. I am closely looking at the developments here as my dealer said that Gypsy is available only in white, and in soft top only.
Given the competency and awareness of dealers when it comes to the Gypsy, I am almost certain that I will end up with a white King only BTW, have you already booked one?

Edit - just heard back from the dealer that following colors are available:

* Superior White
* Ruby Red
* Silky Silver
* Dolphin Blue
* Harvest Green

Harvest Green is an additional color that I do not see on the official website of the Gypsy

Last edited by cool_dube : 13th May 2016 at 13:32.
Old 13th May 2016, 13:40   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Given the competency and awareness of dealers when it comes to the Gypsy, I am almost certain that I will end up with a white King only BTW, have you already booked one?
No sir, I haven't booked one. But if things go well, we have planned to get a brand new Gypsy by the end of this year.

My dealer told me that even though Maruti is accepting bookings for different colours, only white is being dispatched.

Quote:
Edit - just heard back from the dealer that following colors are available:

* Superior White
* Ruby Red
* Silky Silver
* Dolphin Blue
* Harvest Green

Harvest Green is an additional color that I do not see on the official website of the Gypsy
Harvest green color is available in the latest brochure of the Gypsy.
This is a new colour it seems, as it wasn't there in the earlier brochure(I have both of them).

Kindly have a look- Gypsy.pdf

Regards,
Shashi
Old 13th May 2016, 13:45   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My dealer told me that even though Maruti is accepting bookings for different colours, only white is being dispatched.
This defies all logic What's the point of accepting booking for a particular color if it will not be delivered!
Old 13th May 2016, 13:47   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This defies all logic What's the point of accepting booking for a particular color if it will not be delivered!
Exactly!! But according to the SA who deals with Gypsy's, that's exactly what the scenario is.

Regards,
Shashi

Edit-Did anyone notice that the lastest brochure of Gypsy has mentioned Radial tyres also?? Would like to know what they are dispatching.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 13th May 2016 at 13:53.
Old 14th May 2016, 07:40   #143
Senior - BHPian

Why I did'nt like a Gypsy much.

Very low seating position, not what I liked as a comfortable driving position for myself but this is subjective.

No power steering, it was very difficult to turn the steering from the parked position specially during a phase when my Gypsy had wider tyres.

I tried a lot went through many modifications and a lot of expenses but the airconditioner installed in the Gypsy was never perfect. The engine would overheat in ten minutes flat.

The car was popular and gaining following but Suzuki India never launched a newer version of this Samurai under Vitara, Jimmy or Samurai badges, till Brezza which is not at all an off road vehicle.

Even other versions of the Samurai, a vehicle called Daihatshu Rocky and Daihatshu Feroza have faded into oblivion.

Rocky had a similar chassis and gearbox with an 1600 - 1800 cc Petrol engine.

But now globally these vehicles are gone. Even from construction sites. Replaced by larger vehicles like say a Toyota Hi Lux or similar Isuzu, Mitsubishi or Nissan offerings.
Old 14th May 2016, 09:16   #144
BHPian

Congratulation Mr.Cool_ Dube for pulling the trigger on a new Gypsy!

I admire you for following your heart against all odds.

Well the Gypsy lives on at least in India for now.

None of us buy a Gypsy because we want amenities such as power steering or air conditioning but the fact that it is a Gypsy. It has minimal electronics & so there`s hardly anything that can go wrong. Yes we all would have appreciated the improvements had Maruti/Suzuki paid any attention to it but we`re thankful that it is available to buy for now.

It has a bullet proof engine, a solid power train & a street presence which is second to none (believe me I have owned a Dodge Charger with a 5.7 ltr. Hemi V8 and Gypsy beats it any day of the week). The maintenance costs associated are probably one of the lowest for any Indian vehicle and that includes vehicles from Maruti stable.

I took delivery of my Gypsy in January earlier this year & I can state with certainty that the amount of joy that it gave me was more than I have ever experienced while buying 6 other cars that I have owned so far in my life.
Yes it will give your biceps a good exercise especially at parking speeds, the ride is a little harsh but these are the reasons that it makes it absolutely a hoot when doing the rough stuff.

I could go out & buy a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon & modify the hell out of it but I know it could never give me the same sense of satisfaction and blissful joy that Gypsy has been able to.

Vehicular purchases especially the ones close to your heart are emotional decisions and these can seldom be rationally explained. All of have owned different cars in our lives & God willing will own some very capable/luxury/performance machines in the future but for all us Gypsy die- hard fans it will always remain very close to our collective hearts.

May the tribe grow…
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2016, 13:49   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Congratulation Mr.Cool_ Dube for pulling the trigger on a new Gypsy!
Thanks Vikram. Yes, I am taking the plunge finally! I remember sitting in a Maruti showroom about 18 years back, negotiating on a brand new Gypsy but eventually gave up as I could not afford it. Post that, life moved on and one responsibility after the other took its toll. After owing a used Gypsy for more than 6 months now, I have decided that I'd like to go for a brand new one and keep it with me for 10+ years, as is the case with the other 2 cars of mine. Am going to put up my current Gypsy for sale on TBHP classifieds today and book a new one as soon as it is gone.

Cheers...
Old 15th May 2016, 06:49   #146
BHPian

Guys,

Iam in the hills enjoying my Gypsy. It crossed the terrain test, though in 1st gear only, with 8 persons fully loaded. After driving it for the last 1 week, i believe it doesnt need a power steering as i find it pretty reasonable in turns as well. Since the weather in Kodai is awesome (around 25-28) AC is not at all needed.

BTW, i enquired about the colour options with the Regional Sales Head at Maruti and he clearly told me that there is only White ST thats available. Dealers mince words on purpose to make you buy. When you receive the car you cant do much. So be prepared for white.

Thanks
Shyam
Old 15th May 2016, 13:55   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamkrish View Post
I am in the hills enjoying my Gypsy.
Good to know that - have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamkrish View Post
BTW, i enquired about the colour options with the Regional Sales Head at Maruti and he clearly told me that there is only White ST thats available. Dealers mince words on purpose to make you buy. When you receive the car you cant do much. So be prepared for white.
I don't understand. When a dealer places an order for a new Gypsy in a particular color, will he not be obliged to deliver the same color? Let's say I order a Dolphin Blue Gypsy and dealer tells me that a white one has been dispatched instead, will I not be entitled to refuse acceptance and demand my money back? Sounds weird to me. Let me write to MUL about this.
Old 16th May 2016, 06:08   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Sounds weird to me. Let me write to MUL about this.
I also wrote to Maruti regarding this. They never replied. Their customer service is useless. They listen to your queries but do nothing. You need to talk toa high level sales manager well before you order for the Gypsy
Old 16th May 2016, 06:36   #149
BHPian

There ought to be no debate raging about tire pressure. On the tarmac, the objective is to maximise the contact patch area. Too much pressure will cause the tyre to bulge in the middle, too little will cause the middle to depress inwards. There is a simple way to identify the correct tyre pressure for any vehicle and any tire.

Take your vehicle to a perfectly flat and level piece of tarmac with a piece of Chalk, draw a line straight across the tread. Drive the vehicle forward and backward for some distance a few times. If the Chalk line has faded more in the center, the tire is over inflated. If it has faded more towards the sides, it's underinflated. It it has worn evenly, the pressure is correct. Adjust pressure and keep testing (with a new line of chalk each time) till youhse identified optimal pressurefor both front and rear.

Some tips:

1. Unless you have a compressor handy, it can be convenient to over fill for the start of the test and keep dropping pressure and repeating till you discover the pressure at which the tire switches from over to under inflated

2. For the test, load the vehicle in the configuration it's most likely to be frequently used in. For example, half tank of fuel and 2 people in the front or whatever it's appropriate to your situation

3. Remember that tire pressure you select with this method this will change with tire size and construction. If you later switch to a very toughly constructed mud tire, shape change with pressure will be different so allow for that.

Other thoughts I had while reading this thread:

1. If you drive a gypsy on a hard surface in 4wd, you can cause the transfer case to jam or bind up. In this situation it can refuse to shift out of 4wd. In this situation driving a short distance in reverse will almost always cause the transmission to free up and unbind. Make sure you don't make the mistake of forcing the transfer case into neutral if the transfer case binds up.

2. I would definitely get the free wheeling hubs. Firstly, I prefer the steering to not be dealing with a differential if that differential isn't doing anything. And I also like the ability to use low range in 2wd mode in case I need torque multiplication but not more traction. Leave the front hubs unlocked,and 2L will cause the front differential to turn, but not send any drive to the front wheels. Voila! Low range in 2wd that can be used in tarmac if you should want. Of course the time you could find this useful instead of wasteful should be very small, but I like the option.
Harbir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 18:50   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Leave the front hubs unlocked,and 2L will cause the front differential to turn, but not send any drive to the front wheels. Voila! Low range in 2wd that can be used in tarmac if you should want. Of course the time you could find this useful instead of wasteful should be very small, but I like the option.
If this option is a must, I agree it makes sense - I don't expect to be in a situation where I can think of this need though, based on my years of use. I rarely have a combination of grades+load that make this necessary.
I wonder if the steering effort gets any lighter; I doubt it does because it is heavy at only parking speeds and at such speeds the engaged front components also would move slowly. I could be wrong though, and a noticeably reduction in effort may make this worthy of consideration.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks