Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2016, 07:24   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

Obviously there has to be enough pressure to have it able to flex, a flat tyre will destroy rims in no time, along with the tyre itself.

I have seen no cogent reason why the Maruti recommendations cannot be followed for a Gypsy with radial tyres; I have not heard any reasons for higher pressures than: somebody - of questionable expertise - says so.

The higher flexing of sidewalls of radial tyres over cross ply ones is a feature from the time radials came into use and has the advantage of conferring ride comfort on any car making the change. Nullifying that feature by running substantially higher pressures because a mechanic said so? Not something I'd do.
Old 1st May 2016, 15:50   #92
BHPian

Shyamkrish congrats for your new gypsy .

OMG a lot has happened here , i was not here for some time .

All gypsies come with 4H engaged from the factory to avoid rolling of the vehicle on the truck bay . Way to engage 2H is just move the vehicle front and back then try to engage the required mode . My gypsy is turning 5 yrs young in next one month 3 days . still going strong and i just love it to the core . No car can replace my gypsy . You will start loving your gypsy once you get a good feel of it .

Enjoy your your new ride , you life will never be the same again ! Buying a brand new gypsy is the best choice you have made . no 2nd hand gypsy or a jeep can be as good as a brand new gypsy .

Shyamkrish , any help you need regarding gypsy you can always ping me or call me at 9705344277 .

Last edited by drbones : 1st May 2016 at 15:54.
drbones is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 17:26   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Shyamkrish , any help you need regarding gypsy you can always ping me or call me at 9705344277 .
DrBones, thanks for the offer! Will definitely reach out if i need help

Thanks all ! Hmm, the debate on tyre pressure rages on Next time i will reduce the pressure to 20/20 and feel the ride. At the end of the day, its what you perceive as the best pressure based on your preferences !

I was a bit wary of the 4WD and hence decided to try it out today. It worked like charm, just slipped it into 4H and i could feel it. I quickly switched back to 2H

Did some long rides for the last 2 days. I must say its so addictive. Iam just waiting to head out to my farmhouse 2nd week of May.
Old 1st May 2016, 19:50   #94
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamkrish View Post
Hi All,

Iam back with my Gypsy !

Will post photos this weekend
Pictures or it didn't happen.

Anyway congrats .

I also maintain a tire pressure of 20PSI and 22PSI and I see no reason not to go by the manufacturers recommendation .
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 19:55   #95
Team-BHP Support

You can easily go with manufacturer recommended PSI for stock or 1+ sized tyres, only when you upsize more than that, you need to experiment. Manufacturer recommended PSI is generally on the higher side for fuel efficiency, so 1-2 PSI less is perfectly fine.

One advantage of high psi is easier steering in non power assist vehicles like gypsy. But that again is more at parking speeds.
Old 2nd May 2016, 06:23   #96
Senior - BHPian

The Gypsy ride problem arises at the rear, where it kicks the passengers hard over every little hump. There is very little weight over the leaf springs in an unloaded car, and they are very stiff having been set up for a loaded car. The front may cope with a bump but it will still kick you in the back when the rear wheels pass over it.

The only way to tame this is to keep the rear loaded by at least a couple of hundred kilos, even three, and the ride changes dramatically for the better, the overall ride gets to be equally good/bad front and rear which is the big change.

CFL is a solution, but I haven't ventured there because I don't trust a single leaf solution.
Old 2nd May 2016, 16:25   #97
BHPian

Here are the photos!My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-dsc_1454.jpg

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-dsc_1462.jpg
shyamkrish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 16:57   #98
BHPian

One more thing that the Gypsy proves is Good looks doesnt need to be always expensive.

In the last 2 days i have been asked about the Gypsy about half a dozen times. I parked the Gypsy to go an ATM and a guy who comes out asks me how the Gypsy is and if it is new? When i told him that i got it yesterday you should have seen the look on his face. He was thrilled and shook hands with me as though he had bought it! On highways, whether its an Innova or an XUV they keep glancing back as though iam riding a hummer Iam enjoying the attention!!!
shyamkrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 17:10   #99
Senior - BHPian

The thing about the Gypsy styling is that it doesn't age - the current version is basically three decades old, and still doesn't look dated. And will not ten more years from now.

One issue if you do ever move to the 215 tyres is that the stepney cover has to be dumped, it won't fit. Doesn't matter of course, the naked tyre arguably looks better.

My only issue with the looks is that the rear overhang is too long and could be easily reduced by 8-10 inches by a skilful body shop to enhance the appearance with no effect on reliability, but I have been too lazy to get it done. One would also lose some people carrying capacity, which can be useful once in a while.
Old 2nd May 2016, 17:58   #100
BHPian

Good to see a new Gypsy. I used to drive a gypsy when I used to work for Gulf Air in Kochi airport.

I think there is a mechanism to disengage the 4 wheel drive and it increases fuel economy a lot. With this around 10 Kmpl in peak traffic can be achieved.(Would like to hear it from owners)

Good thing about the gypsy is the refined engine compared to Mahindra. But it's low torque is lower compared to old Major and new Thar.

The steering is not that hard but quite inaccurate at highway speeds.

Another glitch is the huge turning radius.

Some tips on urban driving from my experience

Leave plenty of room in front because if the car ahead stops suddenly the Gypsy cannot clear this car even after locking the steering fully to the right because the turning radius is just too high.

A tyre upgrade will drastically increase the steering effort.

The front seat of the gypsy is quite ok it's the back which breaks spines. So If the back has some additional luggage it will behave better.

It has some body roll but stays in control till 80 kmph beyond which the gypsy is pretty unsafe.

Parallel parking is the worst nightmare because taking the car out requires several attempt compared to the one handed palming of modern cars.
Captain Haddock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:24   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamkrish View Post
Iam enjoying the attention!!!

This is only starting. Enjoy U-turning on medians and see how people stops to give the GYPSY right of way. Keep the gypsy in first row on red signals and notice the confused eyes of traffic police cops, thinking ‘should I ask something or let him go!’.

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th May 2016 at 18:01. Reason: Small edit :)
(Alok) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 16:03   #102
BHPian

Hi All,

I needed a clarification. My home in Kodai has a very steep terrain which is on proper tar road. Its got 3 gradients, mildly steep, steeper and very very steep for a distance of about 500ft. The last gradient is almost 60 degrees.

So how much ever you power the vehicle it would struggle to climb in the last gradient which is the steepest. A Gypsy without any load at the back should be able to climb without an issue

However assuming a full load of 8 (my larger family will be there this summer) , it will definitely struggle to climb. In such a situation can i shift to 4L and clear the last gradient?

Thanks
Shyam
Old 3rd May 2016, 17:09   #103
Senior - BHPian

None can walk up a 60 degree gradient, you would have to climb it on hands and feet, so obviously you have the number very wrong here. No one could even have ever tarred this grade!

What vehicles that you know climb this successfully today?
PS: I can't see the Gypsy failing to climb any tarred road in 2WD first gear. Instead of risking 4WD on tarmac, I'd just make two trips if 8 people have to be carried over it, if necessary.

Last edited by Sawyer : 3rd May 2016 at 17:17.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 17:32   #104
BHPian

It might not be a 60 degree gradient, its tough enough for an 800 or an Alto unless they come with full power. Its not that tough for 1.5 Litre engines or more. Basically it requires low-end torque and so easier for Diesel vehicles. From that perspective , for a Gypsy with full load will 4L work?
Old 3rd May 2016, 17:45   #105
Senior - BHPian

I'd use first gear in 2wd and do two trips if necessary. But as long as you don't have to start from stationary anywhere on the slope, I can't see the Gypsy having a problem if any other car, even if only diesel, can climb it. The problem for an Alto is that being front wheel drive, the weight shift to the rear causes the front driven wheels to spin easily at a time more torque is being applied to them and the only way these cars can climb steep slopes is to take them at speed and pray you don't have to stop halfway. I have had trouble of this kind even with an Esteem back in the day, one that had plenty of power, but was front wheel drive. And when fully loaded, there was even less weight on the front wheels; I had to ask my passengers to walk the short distance - and I remember a 1 litre Gypsy of the day go past effortlessly, without any need for speed.

Note that the gradient is almost certainly 30 degrees or lower. Anything more is very very rarely tarred.

Last edited by Sawyer : 3rd May 2016 at 17:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks