Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2016, 08:25   #211
BHPian

Re: A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I had 0 offset stock black rims. Now moved to the imported steel disk with offset, so no issues with 31" tyres.
Correction Jaggu. The stock black rims are +55mm & most after market alloys/steel wheels are 0 or negative offset.
chandan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 00:32   #212
BHPian

End of an epic story...and beginning of another!

A rather mixed update to my thread. Earlier this year I had to make a difficult decision to let go of my prized possession.

Parting comments:

- I actually changed my mind a couple of times before I finally let go! I still miss the jeep, had some lovely moments with it and made some awesome friends.
- We had our journey of ups and downs between the jeep, Mahindra and me. But somehow it all got managed and there were no severe setbacks.
- In a little over 3 years, it had only done about 30k kms. Nothing as compared to my other cars. But then this wasn't really a highway runner for me either.
- Thankfully I never kept a track of how much money I spent on it, so it was easy to arrive at the final settlement and make peace with it
- In all the OTR events I've attended, the Thar performed flawlessly and I've never had to worry about anything. It did pretty much what every other jeep could do and more!

A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde-11133989_846058168818566_2325029959109613989_o.jpg

There's a bit of a sad feeling when I think about it now, but the silver lining is that it made way to another monster that's parked in my garage now. The Land Cruiser 80 series - it was like a dream come true and I just couldn't have missed the opportunity. Right now it's in hibernation because of my travel etc, but it soon going to be a monster in the making, watch out for my next thread!

A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde-1452772621003.jpg
amolpol is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 10:10   #213
BHPian

Re: End of an epic story...and beginning of another!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
A rather mixed update to my thread. Earlier this year I had to make a difficult decision to let go of my prized possession.
I used to follow your thread from the beginning. You really transformed your jeep a lot. How much did you sell your vehicle for? I mean if its okay with you to put it up in the forum. Anyways congratulations for the new buy. A land cruiser and on top of it, its a Telangana State registered (I am from hyderabad). Eagerly looking forward for your thread.

Last edited by ampere : 17th April 2016 at 10:42. Reason: Reduced quoted content
Old 14th June 2016, 18:07   #214
Senior - BHPian

Re: End of an epic story...and beginning of another!

Quote:
A rather mixed update to my thread.[/ATTACH]
Congrats on big daddy LC, amolpol.

This is one awesome car which will take you up next level in your off-road adventures. Looking forward to ownership thread.

Mind sharing how much did you pay for this one? PM me if not comfortable putting down the number in public.
Old 5th September 2016, 20:38   #215
BHPian

Finally I have got the thread running for the LC80 here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179746

Mods, you may pls close the Thar thread now
Old 26th October 2016, 23:21   #216
BHPian

Re: Update #1: First Highway Trip to Kabini

Quote:
[*]The front tires are fouling slightly on a full U turn and I need to get this looked at. Given that it’s an 245mm section tyre vs the 235mm stock, I thought it should be a non-issue. But given that the Maxxis are almost 4cms taller than the stock tyres, maybe I need to make some more room for them under the front fender to avoid the touching.
Hello Amolpol,

I recently got the same 245/75 R16 Bighorn 764 tyres on my Thar and I am experiencing the same slight tyre fouling on a full U turn. How did you sort this out? With spacers? What size?

Also, did the tyres come in contact with the front fender/wheel arch during axle articulation offroad? How did you sort it out?

Thanks in advance.

Attaching a pic of my Thar for reference:
Attached Thumbnails
A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde-edited_1477451541943.jpg  

sharc_biker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 05:54   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
Hello Amolpol,

Also, did the tyres come in contact with the front fender/wheel arch during axle articulation offroad? How did you sort it out?

:

Yes, the tyres touched the fender during articulation and rubbed inside the fender while taking full turns. One way of solving the issue is with spacers (50mm ones are available now I believe) while another way is to use negative offset alloys. I shifted to alloys to fix the issue and adjusted the torsion bar to get a bit more clearance vertically.

This wasn't foolproof since it caused issues with fouling of the brake lines during full turns and it took a few iterations to adjust the torsion bar correctly and installed stopper bolts to restrict the steering movement at the far end to finally solve all the problems.

My suggestion would be to move to the off-road steel rims since they're a better option than alloys in both looks and functionality.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 19:26   #218

Quote:
Hello Amolpol,

I recently got the same 245/75 R16 Bighorn 764 tyres on my Thar and I am experiencing the same slight tyre fouling on a full U turn. How did you sort this out? With spacers? What size? :
Hi sharc_biker, me too planning to get this size for My Thar. How is your experience with these? How did you solve the fouling problem?
Old 13th April 2017, 21:00   #219
BHPian

Re: A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde

Hi, i am also using JK 245 75 R 16 on Mahindra alloys but its on a new generation 2015 Thar. It hasn't so far touched the fenders even during extreme articulations but during full turns the inner edge rubs against the angled portion of the stabiliser bar. What brake line fouling are you talking about?
Old 15th April 2017, 12:55   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulkodinya View Post
Hi sharc_biker, me too planning to get this size for My Thar. How is your experience with these? How did you solve the fouling problem?
Hi rahulkodinya, I opted for steel rims with a negative offset of 25mm. These have solved the tyre fouling problem and has also given a slightly wider stance which reduces the centre of gravity. I have also adjusted the front torsion bar to increase the vehicle height by 1"-1.5" to accommodate the tyres and reduce fender damage.

I have done about a 1000kms with the tyres now and they suit my requirement for a weekend offroad vehicle having to cover short-moderate distances on the tarmac.

Pros:

Very capable offroad
Tough sidewalls
Self-cleaning tread is a boon
Looks imposing

Cons:

Tyre noise at 80kmph+
Grip level on wet tarmac is not confidence inspiring
Bumpy ride on road due to stiff sidewalls
Attached Thumbnails
A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde-picsart_041512.37.28.jpg  

Last edited by sharc_biker : 15th April 2017 at 13:10.
Old 17th April 2017, 10:34   #221

Quote:
Hi rahulkodinya, I opted for steel rims with a negative offset of 25mm. These have solved the tyre fouling problem and has also given a slightly wider stance which reduces the centre of gravity. I have also adjusted the front torsion bar to increase the vehicle height by 1"-1.5" to accommodate the tyres and reduce fender damage.

I have done about a 1000kms with the tyres now and they suit my requirement for a weekend offroad vehicle having to cover short-moderate distances on the tarmac.

Pros:

Very capable offroad
Tough sidewalls
Self-cleaning tread is a boon
Looks imposing

Cons:

Tyre noise at 80kmph+
Grip level on wet tarmac is not confidence inspiring
Bumpy ride on road due to stiff sidewalls
Thanks sharc_biker, Your vehicle looks awesome with those tyres.

I have a slightly different problem statement. I want to keep 2 sets: Stock HT for City/highway runs (Wifey want this setup for her daily office rides) and MT for less occasional off/bad road trips. After a lift job, those stock tires may look even punnier than in a regular setup. I guess if I stick to 245/70/R16 Bighorns, I can live with stock rims (may need spacers) and without a lift job.
Old 1st May 2017, 14:04   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, where did you get the off road rims from? And how much are they? Thanks mate.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st May 2017 at 19:12. Reason: Quote size edited for readability. Post edited.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks