Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde

congrats @amolpol for the new purchase,
I am facing the same situation with fiesta, wagon R and enfield in garage I dont have any space to justify thar. Thar in black color really look nice
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:35   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Totally agree with Rajith. Most of the wheel alignment machines these A.S.Cs have are not properly calibrated. Had to finally retort to an independent wheel alignment centre who does it the old school way, with no computers and gizmos. Things were back to normal then.
Dear Jeeva - you are correct. I will go one step further. Even if the calibration is really correct (which is rare), the "gizmos" type of equipment connect the wheel heads to the wheel rim edges. A slightly skewed assembly of this clamp or a slightly out of round wheel rim is bound to give an erroneous reading because the machine measures the clamp axis, not the wheel center line and everybody assumes that both are same. Look at the small heads clamping to the rim, most of them are worn. 99% of the guys want to make a bill of 400 rupees every half an hour, that's all!

That's why assembly line has non-contact type laser operated calibrator machine. To prevent dynamic error, the front wheels are rotated in reverse direction and the rear wheels are motor rotated in forward direction during laser measurement, with the gear lever in neutral. Dealerships can never match the master calibration of the laser.

Dear Rajith - we know that people leave bolts loose, we know that nuts becomes rounded when tightened with open ended spanners, we know that M10*1.25 threads slip off, we know that shims fall off, we know that people don't understand the intricacies, that's why "a" vehicle (just launched ) does not have shims at all! Infinite adjustment of both caster and camber is possible within minutes. Go below the vehicle and see the suspension mountng, you will definitely smile, now that's a promise. The construction allows service friendliness! It "has to be" better than everything, not only Thar, isn't it?
Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 20:14   #18
BHPian

Wow, I see lots of activity while I was out for the day. Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. I will try and respond in parts to all the questions and comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Amolpol - congratulations.

For brakes, please contact Rajith, he is also in Bangalore, he has fitted the tandem booster and changed the LSPV (load sensing and proportioning valve) setting to obtain very good braking performance. Please fit the SA roll over bar only, the other one is a joke, Rajith also has the SA roll over bar in his vehicle.
Thanks BD sir, I've pretty much read all the info that you've been putting on the Thar threads. It's amazing to see how well connected you are with everything that has gone into making the Thar a reality. Also, I really appreciate your helpful gesture in sharing your knowledge and giving suggestions that will help the Thar owners to make the Thar a true lifestyle vehicle.

I did get in touch with Rajith even before I got the jeep delivered about the SA rollcage and the rear seating. He's also been a very helpful soul in addressing all my questions. As of now, I'd keep all component modifications to a minimum, that way I'll be able to understand whether I can live with the sub-standard brakes or I really need to get them changed. The reason for this is that I'd like to keep it easy for any mechanic to fix things if they break while I'm outside Bangalore which is pretty much where the Thar will be used for OTRs etc.

The SA rollcage is pending and I'm not going to settle for anything different, but it's going to be a wait and watch game as far as I can see.

Quote:
For headlights, please remove the production units and throw them out, they do nothing except meet CMVR. See if you can get a pair of Lucas TVS assymetric beam pattern units (which is the only unit that does not give dispersed beam pattern, all others are useless, I have tried all of them), then go for original "GE Hungary" made 140/110W bulbs, you will have daylight in front of the vehicle. Please see my detailed post on page 60 of the "Automobile Lighting" thread on this forum.
I will try to source the components that you've mentioned, however, is there any particular source or area where I can begin my search? As of now, I added a pair of Hella 4000 pencil beams which are excellent. So if I can get the alignment done on the stock lamps, I should be good for the time being.

Quote:
I do not understand "fixed position passenger seating". Please post photographs. Seats are same as Bolero, only upholstery is different. I hope they have not done "value engineering".
By fixed position, I meant that though the seat has adjustments that can be done, it doesn't move due to the rear bench. The upright seating is uncomfortable as observed in my recent drive to Kabini. Once the rear seat is removed, this should be solved I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Congrats Amol on your new aquisition, you have now put some "strong" ideas in my head about the next car to replace my ageing Optra, even I have not considered our Safari as a daily drive for my wife, but your line of thinking actually has started ringing bells in my head too. Please post some pictures post mods and would be interested in knowing the kind of costs that went into the mods as well.
Wishing you great fun on your expeditions in the Thar.
Thanks Srihari, I'm glad to have sparked off some thoughts. Best of luck with your choice now

I'll put up some pictures soon and collate all details on the mods in a single post.
Old 22nd November 2012, 20:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Amol!

Good to see the photos of your daughter, I remember reading about her in your MP travelogue. How kids grow! My daughter is close to touching 5 now...and a wildlife/jungle/campfire fan.

We should do a trip sometime, me thinks :-)
Old 22nd November 2012, 21:22   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
See ****[list][*]Tyres – Maxxis Bighorn/Cooper STT (should fit stock wheels – no alloys)
***** Stick with OE tyre specs please[*]***** Try CL 550 bumbers.[*]***** Swastik vijay[*]***** Before making hole in the shell, think thrice !!, its M&M , rust can come like a flue .[*]***** BD sir told.[*]***** Roots Vibrosonic[*]***** Dont drill holes for door switch to fit any gadget.,it will be a mess.[*]***** Do at KOYAS COIMBATORE to be as OE & comfortable.[*]***** TRY this as per BD sir adv.[*]****** Put older version THAR CRDe cosy carpets from ASC.
USE CFL at rear for soft rides.
Dear Rajith sir, thanks for your comments. I am still contemplating on the seats and will call Koyas to check. Will check with the ASC for those mats you've suggested.

Will keep the rear leafs stock for now, CFLs can wait a bit. I want to get to understand the jeep better before I make changes to its behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats on the Jeep, Amol! Come to think of it, the Thar is the perfect upgrade for an Enfield owner . Here's wish you many thousand kms & years of fun driving.

Why only one picture? Please treat us to more images, especially with all the mods you've gotten.
Thanks GTO, you're right about the Thar and Enfield. I do have a smile on my face when I drive/ride both the machines.

Will have the pictures up soon, have to get a few of them processed before I post.

Quote:
The Thar = Balance between onroad performance & offroad. I'd choose tyres accordingly and don't agree with the choice of Bighorns. The beauty of the Thar is to be a comfortable daily drive, cruise effortless on the expressway and still have sufficient offroad capability for 90% of the situations out there.
Well, with the Safari around, the Thar isn't going to be taking us for the long drives. Moreover, I don't really drive every day so I could make the tyre choice based on my inclination to use it for OTRs rather than for the city or highway. I agree that the thar is a balanced on and off road jeep and has a good engine for the highways, but I may end up wanting something better than AT for the off-road events. There's no place for me to have two sets of tires, so I chose the MT option fully knowing the compromises I'll be making.

Quote:
Don't even bother, you'll get immune to it Take one rattle out of a Jeep and there will be 5 new ones.
So true, when I changed the bumpers. The old squeaks disappeared and new ones showed up.

Quote:
Keeping the old design and lack of any real safety (crumple zones etc.) in its design, I'd suggest taking it real easy on the open road.
Exactly, this is what would make me keep the Thar at home when I go for my cross-country drives. I usually plan for about 1000kms or more per day for the long haul trips and the jeep isn't going to be comfortable and safe for my wife and daughter like in the Safari.

Quote:
Dear Amol - my "real Thar" MH01V521 also had 245/75R16 tires (Scorpio Double Cab tires), it handled superbly. Please post your detailed observations on driving behavior (dynamics) with the 245/75R16 tires that you have fitted, I will give you the exact values of caster, camber and toe that you must run.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DB Sir, I think the jeep handles quite well with the tires. Personally I like the fact that the tires are taller but not all that bulky looking in terms of width. On the highway drive last weekend, I didn't hear the tires make too much noise and the braking distance seemed okay too. I still have to test them offroad and realize whether they'll be worthy of the price I paid for them. Will update you if i see something that's unusual.

Well, I don't totally understand the caster, camber and toe terminology here, leave alone the settings needed for them. But I'm willing to learn and you can PM me the details, will see if I can find a good mechanic who'd really understand what needs to be done and how.

Quote:
Dear Rajith - yes, I am fully aware and I will do everything to delight the customer who has paid good money to buy the vehicle. If people become insensitive because they do not understand how to remove or add shims to adjust caster and camber, I cannot help it. I hope at least this time good sense prevails. It is only because of this property of mine that your Thar has better brakes than production vehicles, isn't it?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Don't hold yourself back on sharing your thoughts. Not everyone's going to agree all the time, but I'm sure they all take away some value of the discussions you bring to the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
I had mentioned about riveting dents on the side body earlier and trust me most black Thar owners have the same dents. You will have to find a way to live with it. As for me, I have covered them with TBHP stickers for now! I am actually contemplating fitting a metal embossed "Schutsstaffel" logo on the side body. This is purely my notion that the Jeep needs to be a mean character!
Riveting dents, really! My eyes don't even see them anymore, it's a texture given to the jeep to bring out the ruf-n-tuf personality, LOL!!!

Quote:
I changed my wheels to BFGoodrich, while keeping the same profile as the stock. I agree with Rajith on this. SA roll bar any day, I am in touch with CS of India Garage as well. Would have liked to meet all you Thar-heads in Bangalore on my recent visit; did try to get a few for the meet, but the idea just fizzled out for lack of time. A BIG thank you to Manas, Rajith and Swastik Viji for all the advice and guidance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
Hearty Congratulations Amol!! Wish you unlimited miles of happy and safe driving and off-roading with it.

I feel BF Goodrich or Yokohama Geolanders would have been a better choice of tires. Given that the current ones are meddling on complete U-turns, I believe a body raise is required. BD sir and other Thar owners will be best judges for that.

Although I enjoyed the picture of the Tusker at Kabini ( I am a wildlife enthusiast too), please share more pics of the new Black tusker that you have bought!!
Dear TrueIntrepid and Driving_Nomad,

When changing the tires, I had BF Goodrich as an option, but it was only if I couldn't source the Maxxis that I'd turn to ATs. Somehow, my mind was set on the Bighorns and rational thinking was just not what I wanted to do. Almost a 1000kms on the odo so far and I like them, lets see how they hold up off-road.

I don't think I'd need to raise the body, I'm sure there'll be some other option that can be worked out. Also, the fouling isn't something that stalls the jeep, its just slightly rubbing, though I'd like it not to do that.

BTW, how easy or difficult is it to get a couple of inches raised on the Thar?
Old 22nd November 2012, 21:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on getting the THAR. I'm myself driving a friends THAR for the last few days and agree with most of the points with you.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 21:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
Congrats Amol on the new purchase. Give us more pics of the beast! You are turning your daughter into a jeeper i guess
Thanks sach.sri, I'm sure she'll be growing up to be a little of everything. Jeeper/Tourer/Wildlifer and Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
The first River Tern pic is absolutely amazing and so is first the elephant pic. Till date - i had never seen a river tern sitting - have always seen them flying around.
Thanks, you should consider a visit to the Bhadra reserve to see the River Terns in plenty and observe their behaviors as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
congrats @amolpol for the new purchase,
I am facing the same situation with fiesta, wagon R and enfield in garage I dont have any space to justify thar. Thar in black color really look nice
Good luck with your decision, its a tough one. Make sure your family is well aware of the shortcomings of the jeep and that your wife is willing to drive it some times else it becomes an issue. Also, keep a highway tourer in the stable, the jeep isn't going to fulfill all your requirements, only when you have the right expectations from it will you enjoy driving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Congratulations Amol!

Good to see the photos of your daughter, I remember reading about her in your MP travelogue. How kids grow! My daughter is close to touching 5 now...and a wildlife/jungle/campfire fan.

We should do a trip sometime, me thinks :-)
Thanks Nilanjan. You're right about kids growing up fast, time flies with them around! She's turning 3 next week and it just feels so recent that I did that 10 day MP trip with her.

BTW, Tadoba is booming again and I'm getting the itch to pack my cameras and go for a weekend. We should plan a trip for sure, I missed birding in the Himalayas with you. With the next few weekends booked already, we could look at early Jan sometime. It will be a good time for birding too.
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:48   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Thanks GTO, you're right about the Thar and Enfield. I do have a smile on my face when I drive/ride both the machines. Riveting dents, really! My eyes don't even see them anymore, it's a texture given to the jeep to bring out the ruf-n-tuf personality.
Dear Amolpol - thank you for your correct comments. The real vehicle is the one that puts a smile on our faces and makes our heads turn a little when we see it passing by on the road. The problem with me is that after I do the smiling and the small head turning, I am forced to shrug also. I hope you understand what I am trying to say. Dealing with the corporate world which is in "Perpetual Denial Mode" is one of the most difficult things that a human being is forced to endure. I am sure may TeamBHPians will agree.

Regarding the spot welding marks (they are not riveting dents), I had a very tough time trying to convince the powers that be that "this is a part and parcel of the ruf-n-tuf personality of the Jeep". You have vindicated my stand on this, thank you. To do anything here means touching the tooling which would have taken "time to market" for a complete toss and immediately tilted the business case to negative (it takes only common sense to realize this) which would have meant "the end" for the vehicle. But then, you would not have been able to buy the vehicle and enjoy it.

So, my dear Sir, ENJOY! I look forward to your wild life photographs with the Thar in the frame.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:50   #24
BHPian

Here are a few pictures that I managed to click yesterday. Not the best of the setting considering the jeep would look better outdoors, but I still have to find some time to take it out for a spin all by myself.

The bullbar has a little bias towards the left and looks a bit asymmetrical with a pair of Hella 4000s on it. Not sure if this can be fixed easily, will have to check with swastikviji sir.

A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde-thar1.jpg

A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde-thar2.jpg

A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde-thar3.jpg
amolpol is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:57   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Amolpol - I hope you have already removed the "eyesore" rear bumpers and thrown them away. Please read DKG's Thar thread. I have given everything that you can do to make your vehicle really stand out. Relocate the number plate on the LH rear panel.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Here are a few pictures that I managed to click yesterday. Not the best of the setting considering the jeep would look better outdoors, but I still have to find some time to take it out for a spin all by myself.

The bullbar has a little bias towards the left and looks a bit asymmetrical with a pair of Hella 4000s on it. Not sure if this can be fixed easily, will have to check with swastikviji sir.
My jeep looks exactly like yours with the same bumper, bullbar and rock sliders! But the tyres are different. I forgot to mention, I have become a fan of your photographs; they are impeccable in every sense of the word. What's your gear? From the looks of it, it seems like a Canon kit and caboodle! Prove me wrong.
Old 23rd November 2012, 14:32   #27
BHPian

@amolpol

on the front shot picture, the front left wheel seems to angle a bit inwards at the bottom. that is not there on the front right.

I had exactly the same issue and needed a visit to ASC to correct the same.
Old 23rd November 2012, 14:51   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Amolpol, congrats on your purchase. I couldn't believe that you replaced your i10 with a Thar and your wifw also approved of it. Hats off to you both. It really feels good to see a person do something by following his/her heart rather than his/her head.

Your ride looks as amazing as your photographs. Wishing you many happy adventures with your new ride.
Old 23rd November 2012, 15:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Great to hear that you have moved to a Thar - a vehicle that fits your lifestyle

Nice snap of your daughter on the Thar - the previous similar pic was when she was a toddler, sitting on the bonnet of the Safari during your Tadoba trip. Seemed very recent!!
Old 23rd November 2012, 19:38   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Amolpol - I hope you have already removed the "eyesore" rear bumpers and thrown them away. Please read DKG's Thar thread. I have given everything that you can do to make your vehicle really stand out. Relocate the number plate on the LH rear panel.
Dear DB sir, the eyesore bumpers are gone and new ones from Swastik Fabs are installed for both front and rear. The rear bumper has the tyre mount as well since I wanted to keep the load of the spare wheel away from the body to avoid squeaking in the long run. I didn't post any pictures showing the rear because I still have to get the number plates fixed. Right now I have the original rear plate hanging by the spare wheel and have gotten the smaller version of the IND plates made for both sides. Will have them up once I've figured it out and will post some pictures at that time to show how the final product looks.

Here's what I was thinking about positioning the rear number plate above the RHS rear lamps. I was going to get a bracket done for it which can be fixed using the bolts on the upper door hinge, so no new holes need to be drilled. But those nuts are painted and opening it would mean that the paint would come off and hence there's still hesitation on doing it. There is another option to put it on the spare wheel but that is if this one doesn't work out.

Another option to consider was put them on the lower bumper plate, however, the bumpers are angled inwards and hence just sticking it on the bumper will mean that it won't be upright on installation.

Any other ideas are welcome.

A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde-thar4.jpg

Quote:
My jeep looks exactly like yours with the same bumper, bullbar and rock sliders! But the tyres are different. I forgot to mention, I have become a fan of your photographs; they are impeccable in every sense of the word. What's your gear? From the looks of it, it seems like a Canon kit and caboodle! Prove me wrong.
Wow, you're the first person I know that could tell the brand of the camera gear correctly by looking at the pictures. Was that an educated guess or is there something that gave it away.

These are shot with a Canon 1D Mark IV + Canon 24-105 F4 L IS + Canon 580 EX II flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrajan View Post
@amolpol

on the front shot picture, the front left wheel seems to angle a bit inwards at the bottom. that is not there on the front right.

I had exactly the same issue and needed a visit to ASC to correct the same.
Thanks for noticing it. I did find it a bit odd, but now I will get it checked during the first service. Could you tell me what they did to fix the issue and do you think I need to get it done asap or it can wait till the service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Hi Amolpol, congrats on your purchase. I couldn't believe that you replaced your i10 with a Thar and your wifw also approved of it. Hats off to you both. It really feels good to see a person do something by following his/her heart rather than his/her head.

Your ride looks as amazing as your photographs. Wishing you many happy adventures with your new ride.
Thanks ashis89. Both of us are crazy travelers and always rely on our heart when it comes to such decisions. Afterall, you live only once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Great to hear that you have moved to a Thar - a vehicle that fits your lifestyle

Nice snap of your daughter on the Thar - the previous similar pic was when she was a toddler, sitting on the bonnet of the Safari during your Tadoba trip. Seemed very recent!!
Thanks mallumowgli. Your description reminded me of the pic which is worthy of going in this thread again.

A Biker to a Jeeper - Mahindra Thar Crde-pozu01.jpg
amolpol is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks