Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2014, 20:35   #61
BHPian

Re: My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck

Update:
The truck now has 18K miles and I have had it for little over an year. I am getting a itch to do something to the truck to keep it exciting.

Decided to upgrade the truck's stereo system. It was not bad to bigin with but once you have had a really high end music system in your car you are going to get addicted to great sound.

Truck came with 10 speaker sony system with Navigation etc. The head unit is Micosoft Sync system and for the most part works great. I want to keep the factory look and this also helps with warranty related issues.

Game plan:

The head unit, will remain the same. No changes all the way to the factory Sony amp. Basically disconnecting the factory amp is not an option as if you disconnect the factory amp, the sync goes blank and nothing comes up.

So will use a Bit Ten processor from the factory amp on-wards. Plan is to keep all the factory wiring untouched so if I ever have to put it back to factory condition it is pretty much plug and play.

It will be a passive (using the crossovers that came with the Focal speakers) set up. I do not want to spend the money (For an extra amplifier and extra time for professional tunning) to get an active setup.

The front doors will get Dynamat (sound deadening material) inside out. The rear doors since don't have any mids will only get dynamat on the outside skin. The rear part under the rear glass will fully dynamated.

Equipment:
Processor / Line output converter: Audition Bit Ten processor
Amplifier: JL Audio HD 900/5
Front stage: Focal 6.5" KR component speaker system
Rear: Focal 6.5 coax speakers.
Subwoofers: Pioneer 10" Shallow mount X 2 in a custom box.

Last edited by Gujarati : 14th April 2014 at 20:39.
Gujarati is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 21:33   #62
Senior - BHPian

Excuse the slang but what a refreshing change from the usual desi buys Japanese/German vehicles saga.

Coming to the iCE set up the equipment choice is very good (would love to get my hands on JL Audio amplifiers here in India) except for maybe the sub. Pioneer subs are more SPL oriented whereas the rest of your equipment is SQ biased. You may want to try out Fi SSD subs or even 10" IDQ. Shallow mount requirement may limit your choice though, in which case you might find an option in Focal or with Hertz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gujarati View Post
Game plan:

The head unit, will remain the same. No changes all the way to the factory Sony amp. Basically disconnecting the factory amp is not an option as if you disconnect the factory amp, the sync goes blank and nothing comes up.

So will use a Bit Ten processor from the factory amp on-wards. Plan is to keep all the factory wiring untouched so if I ever have to put it back to factory condition it is pretty much plug and play.

It will be a passive (using the crossovers that came with the Focal speakers) set up. I do not want to spend the money (For an extra amplifier and extra time for professional tunning) to get an active setup.

The front doors will get Dynamat (sound deadening material) inside out. The rear doors since don't have any mids will only get dynamat on the outside skin. The rear part under the rear glass will fully dynamated.

Equipment:
Processor / Line output converter: Audition Bit Ten processor
Amplifier: JL Audio HD 900/5
Front stage: Focal 6.5" KR component speaker system
Rear: Focal 6.5 coax speakers.
Subwoofers: Pioneer 10" Shallow mount X 2 in a custom box.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 03:00   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Excuse the slang but what a refreshing change from the usual desi buys Japanese/German vehicles saga.

Coming to the iCE set up the equipment choice is very good (would love to get my hands on JL Audio amplifiers here in India) except for maybe the sub. Pioneer subs are more SPL oriented whereas the rest of your equipment is SQ biased. You may want to try out Fi SSD subs or even 10" IDQ. Shallow mount requirement may limit your choice though, in which case you might find an option in Focal or with Hertz.
Yes you are correct that I am limited with my options as I need shallow mount subs. I considered JL and Alpine but with the amount of space that I am playing with behind the rear seat of a truck is really limiting my options. We are building a sealed box for it and with the window motor, seat belt assembly for the center rear seat and factory amp that I cannot get rid of I really do not have much space left. We are barely able to meet the minimum space requirement of .35 cu ft. for the Pioneers.

I have heard these subs with focal components in the past in another car in a sealed box as well and it sounded great thus my choice of going with Pioneer. Also all the reviews and everything i researched, these came out on top for the shallow mount subs. They are cheap enough that in the long run if it does not sound good I can look into doing something else. I have a very good installer who is helping me with this set up and he has promised after everything is tuned the two 10" pioneer subs will sound great. I do not play the subs very lound anyway so hopefully that will help. I was skeptical but really did not see any other good option that garaunteed better results.

Pics coming soon.

Last edited by Gujarati : 15th April 2014 at 03:09.
Old 16th April 2014, 06:25   #64
BHPian

Here are the pics of the install:

Rear speaker install pretty straight forward. Since in the rear pillar not much vibration thus no dynamat around it.
My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-a22f2508b7b1490d9a9230f213ccd49e_zpsunpoj6bs.jpg

Front stage is where the major money is

The doors get dynamat sound deadening and the install is little more involved:
My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-0465124af3ec4103a0e96518674f020d_zpswmwzxn8c.jpg

My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-bdb449c4f18741dcad20c3cb3df0d35c_zpsc13myaj9.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-697adca789be448aa5517633a33b99cc_zpsvuf6egzp.jpg  

My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-a713a952addd4a2a949ad9f299b5f85e_zpsisolk6up.jpg  

My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-72b51b38b35c4825aa0814f448e8be86_zps84yr2bhl.jpg  

My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-479badcbcfc04143897dd44b56e76d24_zpsifemdmt0.jpg  

My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-d7b379eb07fe4e8e8819abc23a431c9d_zpso4aozsmg.jpg  

My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-e3f3eee641b347dbbf7899286d2c5b01_zpsz3yrodaj.jpg  

My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-eba1bbce334e4d1c9c7b68429ef9f54a_zpsoxjo0ngo.jpg  

My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-6701d0f9b1984607ab35cdb3c10f9b58_zpsumbttnnl.jpg  

My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-8d6a63a7ed9e49e996a3b93feac9be05_zpssd3dksmu.jpg  

My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-17218a29d732410090474ca84c48fb0f_zpsbflcuzkl.jpg  

Last edited by Gujarati : 16th April 2014 at 06:34.
Gujarati is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 06:15   #65
BHPian

Here are the pictures of the speaker crossover, JL Audio Amp, Bass nob and Audison processor install pics.

Subwoofers and custom box for sub will be installed this weekend and system will be tuned after that. Hopefully there won't be any hiccups.
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-3317a33b8f20464aa901032dce36866e_zpszaqwdyly.jpg  

My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-54579fdb4a6a4699a26f63e4e9ab8fb8_zpsobqbridd.jpg  

My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-5a7bcc3b3f9f44e1bf08d0f2850744ba_zpsvwvjpwp2.jpg  

My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-87cb7b26059a4f89ac22ecb5c0587f4f_zpshfwdtsgi.jpg  

My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-edfa2ab6f5fe47489cb4cf4449545d58_zpsm3itqsiu.jpg  

My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-d5d0bc67eb9b4c0495f5034d96d58484_zps5voqglhm.jpg  

Gujarati is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 08:06   #66
BHPian

The system install is now complete and happy to report it has met all my requirements and expectations. The installer did an amazing job of tuning the system as well and thus it sounds awesome.

Here are couple pics of the sub-woofer box installed.
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-e8415e4f2f884e9a95b234f9a12991d7_zpsjiaek4ke.jpg  

My Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Truck-9286587bfbba4b9e89b9a7133835c5d5_zpsvkz63n09.jpg  

Gujarati is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 10:18   #67
Senior - BHPian

The setup looks really cool with those dual sub-woofers. Am sure Pink Floyd would sound much much better. A very comprehensive report on your truck and thank you very much for sharing them.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 17:21   #68
Senior - BHPian

Loved the stock location for the Focal K2 power KR components. I have the same components in my daily ride and tweeters on these are so very detailed and the set itself is not power hungry at all. BTW, are the mid woofer surrounds OE or an aftermarket purchase? If aftermarket can I request you to share the product model and buying source etc.

The install itself is very neat what with the tight & precisely crafted sub enclosure and your installer is a brave man drilling through the Molex connectors et all. My installer here would not touch them with a ten foot pole. I guess aftermarket availability of such parts is as much a factor as any. Loved the new Black look of the Dynamat, looks so much better than the earlier silver and absolutely loved the way the bit Ten has gone on top of the crossovers. Enjoy the sound.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 02:04   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
The setup looks really cool with those dual sub-woofers. Am sure Pink Floyd would sound much much better. A very comprehensive report on your truck and thank you very much for sharing them.
Damn, how did you know I was listening "THE WALL" this morning? That is just plain scary man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Loved the stock location for the Focal K2 power KR components. I have the same components in my daily ride and tweeters on these are so very detailed and the set itself is not power hungry at all. BTW, are the mid woofer surrounds OE or an aftermarket purchase? If aftermarket can I request you to share the product model and buying source etc.

The install itself is very neat what with the tight & precisely crafted sub enclosure and your installer is a brave man drilling through the Molex connectors et all. My installer here would not touch them with a ten foot pole. I guess aftermarket availability of such parts is as much a factor as any. Loved the new Black look of the Dynamat, looks so much better than the earlier silver and absolutely loved the way the bit Ten has gone on top of the crossovers. Enjoy the sound.
Those surrounds/brackets are custom made for the truck by my installer. He basically made them out of wood and in such a way that the speaker does not hit the grill as it is recessed in it. He painted it black. He built a pair for the rear as well. I wanted no compromise on the install quality and since he had worked with me before he knew how picky I am with my vehicles. Paid him big bucks to do the install. He is a very experienced installer who has worked on many high end cars and trucks so he has the experience needed to do the delicate little things like drilling thru the Molex connectors. It does take time to do a nice clean install. He worked on my truck for three full days including fabricating the brackets and box and tuning the system.
Everything is guaranteed for life and I know where he leaves

I am not exaggerating when I say it sounds so good that it can put a smile on your face..

Next he is going to do my Jeep it won't be as involved being a Jeep but will make it sound the best it can.
Gujarati is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 11:56   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Damn, how did you know I was listening "THE WALL" this morning? That is just plain scary man.
Mate,
It was an educated guess to be honest with you. With such a kickass (hope the moderators would not mind this slang) setup am sure you would not be wasting time listening to the country blue songs or the latest hip-hop.
Rock Music would not have sounded better now

How do you generally secure the luggage in your cargo bay especially when there are less number of baggages?
Old 23rd April 2014, 21:26   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Mate,
It was an educated guess to be honest with you. With such a kickass (hope the moderators would not mind this slang) setup am sure you would not be wasting time listening to the country blue songs or the latest hip-hop.
Rock Music would not have sounded better now

How do you generally secure the luggage in your cargo bay especially when there are less number of baggages?
Hahaha that was a good guess! You had me worried there for a bit I also do listen to lot of hindi music and that sounds awesome too. Sometimes I go back in the old age and pop in the CDs vs listening to USB or iphone as the CD music quality is the best.

If it is just couple bags I can usually put them in this area so they don't slide around in the back of the bed. I have never had any issues with it. My wife drives a big Chevy Suburban SUV and so if we need to take the dog or some stuff that needs to be inside we usually take that.

Last edited by Gujarati : 23rd April 2014 at 21:31.
Old 24th April 2014, 11:59   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If it is just couple bags I can usually put them in this area so they don't slide around in the back of the bed.
That looks a good set-up. Are those metal racks adaptable to accommodate more? Do you have plans to put in a cover or leave it as is? Believe with an open cargo bay area, there might be a slight dip in performance with handling and Mileage taking a hit due to its poor aerodynamics shape?

Ford Pickups have always been my dream cars and am happy that you are living it. Please accept my thanks for patiently responding to my queries.
Old 26th April 2014, 21:22   #73
BHPian

Quote:
That looks a good set-up. Are those metal racks adaptable to accommodate more? Do you have plans to put in a cover or leave it as is? Believe with an open cargo bay area, there might be a slight dip in performance with handling and Mileage taking a hit due to its poor aerodynamics shape?

Ford Pickups have always been my dream cars and am happy that you are living it. Please accept my thanks for patiently responding to my queries.
The racks are not adjustable. They either can be folded and moved on side or can be on like that. There is no other option.

I like the look of the truck without the bed cover. I think it looks rugged. I have never explored the benefits of putting a cover on it because don't like the style. If you put a cover on the bed it pretty much becomes a large trunk and not a truck bed.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have no problem, that is why I visit the forum. To meet like minded people :-)

Last edited by Gujarati : 26th April 2014 at 21:24.
Gujarati is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2014, 09:08   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... Believe with an open cargo bay area, there might be a slight dip in performance with handling and Mileage taking a hit due to its poor aerodynamics shape?

As mentioned earlier, I had the pleasure of owning two of these F-250 SuperDuty trucks. I have also owned a few Ford F-150s.

There have been tests done on the effect of various cargo configurations. Most notably, fuel average tests done with the tailgate up and the tailgate down. One would think that with the tailgate up and locked, making an air dam, that fuel average would suffer. But on these F-250s the tests results were barely distinguishable from one another. Such is the torque and power of these massive and wonderfully designed diesel motors.

In fact, there have been accidents with these trucks wherein the driver was pulling a 1500 pound trailer or less and forgot the trailer was there, such is the power and handling of this massive truck....it is large and powerful on a scale that few average Indian drivers can comprehend. You dwarf Ford Explorers and Safari-sized SUVs as you blow by them on the hwy.

Handling of these 7000lbs trucks is superb and not effected by configurations of the cargo box by enlarge. The only concern is if you have a sliding rear window that opens onto the cargo box. Depending on the tailgate position and what you have in the cargo box, you can easily have a lot of leaves and dirty debris blow into your cab thru the rear window via vortex and air swirl.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 27th April 2014 at 09:10.
DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2014, 19:42   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Happy to answer any other questions you may have no problem, that is why I visit the forum. To meet like minded people :-)
Just out of curiosity how much fuel can the tank hold? Also do you have any plans to mod the pickup to make it more friendly? How many liters of oil is required for the engine/differentials?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
As mentioned earlier, I had the pleasure of owning two of these F-250 SuperDuty trucks.
Wow this sounds humongous. Wish we guys at least get the F150 or probably 100(to be developed specifically for India). When you talk of handling am sure they require a huge space to manoeuvre.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks