Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2014, 16:24   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: CJ3B Mix and Match – DIY Learning

Yes the rear pipe for the hood and specifically the point where it is mounted on the tub.
Old 14th October 2014, 10:03   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Thank you Dhabhar Saheb, I hope crow-foot spanner is same as torque wrench. My engine has run 300 kms approx, when should I change first engine oil and which brand?
Dear Shubhendra - "crow-foot" spanner is a special tool which allows you to torque the cylinder head bolts without removing the rocker shaft and rockers. If you remove these items, then crow foot spanner is not required, you can torque directly. Cylinder head torquing must be done with the engine in dead cold condition, means standing overnight. As you will not have a crow foot spanner, I suggest you remove the rocker arm one day ahead, park the vehicle, torque the cylinder head bolts next day and refit the rocker arm. You will have to re-adjust the valve clearances. This is a very sensitive operation, please do it very carefully. I presume you have all the data with you, the the number of bolts to be torqued, the number of incremental steps in which to torque, the resetting torque process, the valve clearance dimensions etc.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 03:01   #78
BHPian

Dear Shubendra, is this the MDI engine with the NGT 5 speed GB?
A friend Rahul rebuilt his CJ500 3 spd GB 4wd and I had the fortune of overseeing his project. I was the external expert and he did the engine. It took awfully long to get the body work done in Vellore TN. We chopped 8-10 inches in the rear end after the rear wheel to give the jeep a short chassis look. We also got the tinker to make brackets to put the headlights inside like the old willys.Rahul managed to put in a KKK -4 Scorpio turbo. It did well but we wished there was a better GB. We looked for a 3 spoke steering and found a new Massey Ferguson milling type steering and it fit perfectly. The jeep steers very well with the larger diameter steering. Rahul did something radical, he's got a Sumo metal air filter mounted flat on the front right fender with a small scoop turned backwards. It looks very cool but its a cold air intake feeding the turbo with a very short route. I had to leave abroad and still miss the project. Rahul scraped the jeep to bare metal and did the prep work himself. with anti rust and primer. The final painting bit is pending because of the rains there.
Old 19th October 2014, 19:28   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsamuelk View Post
We looked for a 3 spoke steering and found a new Massey Ferguson milling type steering and it fit perfectly. The jeep steers very well with the larger diameter steering. Rahul did something radical, he's got a Sumo metal air filter mounted flat on the front right fender with a small scoop turned backwards. It looks very cool but its a cold air intake feeding the turbo with a very short route.
A few pictures would be very much appreciated. Can your friend send them to you for posting?
Old 20th October 2014, 13:48   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A friend Rahul rebuilt his CJ500 3 spd GB 4wd and I had the fortune of overseeing his project.
Dear drsamuelk,
Its XDP engine with 4 speed KMT. Its not possible to fit Mahindra lineup (BA-10, NGT 520/530/530R) in SWB, otherwise i would have been the happiest person....
Please share pics if you of project you mentioned, sounds interesting. Also did you cut the chassis from rear or middle, i dont think there is much to cut at rear of CJ500.

regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 21st October 2014, 23:31   #81
BHPian

The Jeep was cut some 8-10 inches in the rear. I agree its not much but we made the medium chassis look classy after the cut. The wheelbase was not disturbed. Too bad I'm abroad for a year, I can't post pics of the jeep. I'll ask my friend Rahul but he's the sort who hates attention and photos. I'll try though. Its unusually drizzling now and then in Vellore so its still prepped and ready to paint. It was amazing to see Dr. Rahul scrape the entire rust off the body. It took him roughly some 4-5 hours a day for 4 months to do it. But its done really well, after that it was anti rust and epoxy and primer over it. All sanded down to a fine work. Rahul believes if u need a job well done, do it yourself. It just shows how much love one has for the jeep. (sorry hope no wives reading this).
drsamuelk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 23:38   #82
BHPian

Shubendra I was misled by the photo of your gear stick, it showed 5 gears but the transfer box has a newer single lever. I'm in Canada for a year and wondering if I should bring back a preused transfer case from a wrangler to be fitted on to a MM540. A lot of them are hydraulic operated and I know the splines have to be modified but its not impossible. Do u think its a good idea?
Old 22nd October 2014, 18:22   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shubendra I was misled by the photo of your gear stick, it showed 5 gears but the transfer box has a newer single lever. I'm in Canada for a year and wondering if I should bring back a preused transfer case from a wrangler to be fitted on to a MM540. A lot of them are hydraulic operated and I know the splines have to be modified but its not impossible. Do u think its a good idea?
Dear drsamuelk,
So you noticed it, sharp eyes !
its not 5 forward but 4 forward gearbox, that stick cover is of different vehicle which my friend/garage owner really liked because of long hand grip and put it on Jeep. It will be put on my Bolero 4x4 soon.
About fitting Wrangler's T-case in 540, think about complication involved and benefit you will get out of it. in my opinion its not worth the effort, better buy NG530R with BW Tcase.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Old 23rd October 2014, 03:54   #84
BHPian

Yes Mr. Shubendra,
After the turbo work Rahul and me were sulking "if only the GB had an overdrive" it would make our project worthwhile at least on the highways. Wherever we saw a jeep with 5 gears stick shift, we would stop and ask. I've read a lot of the Warn overdrive but its not for mere mortals. So till we do something about it eventually, we'll have something to long for.
Old 24th October 2014, 03:38   #85
BHPian

Has anyone in this forum brought an after market CJ (short chassis) body from the jeep spares shop at the Kurla-Kalina-CST road in Mumbai. They charge Rs 19,000 for the body only and 5000 more for grill, bonnet, tail gate and wheel wells. Does anyone have an experience with this body- endurance, rusting issues? I can't remember the name of the place but it's the only shop in Kurla, Mumbai and most of the cabbie and auto guys know the place. The last time I checked he also had a MM550 oil cooler, not a particularly great gadget but most guys in the jeep business wouldn't know what it is.
Old 15th January 2015, 16:19   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone in this forum brought an after market CJ (short chassis) body from the jeep spares shop at the Kurla-Kalina-CST road in Mumbai.
Doctor Saheb,
If you are based in south than why buy from West ? and if you are based in Mumbai than there are few body builders in Gujarat which i heard are good and economical.

Update:
Took out Jeep after hibernation of 2 months for around 300 kms (200 kms of highway road, 80-90 kms of village roads and 8-10 kms of proper offroad). It performed flawless, no breakdown, perfect articulation, always started in one self. Smoke has reduced a lot and once I change oil, oil filter along with steps mentioned to toque bolts of cylinder head and timing adjustment, it should go down even further. Home made partial free flow sounds great in city and during offroad but continuous resonance created on highway is pain. Similar drives on similar road in my Classic were way better, but will keep this set up for now.
Few pics

CJ3B Mix and Match – DIY Learning-dsci0097.jpg

CJ3B Mix and Match – DIY Learning-dsci0088.jpg

CJ3B Mix and Match – DIY Learning-dsci0090.jpg

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 18th January 2015, 04:16   #87
BHPian

Hello Mr.Shubhendra,your Jeep is absolutely fantastic, right where it belongs -wild.
I'm a native of Mumbai but I used to live in the South. I took a year of study leave abroad and will be returning sometime mid this year. I need to get an used jeep then and rebuild it. I just love the fun of rebuilding, I did that with 2 enfields and a friends jeep and found it very cathartic. I found the body tinkering part very unreliable with the local tinkers, if it's rusted its better to get a new tub.
I'm sure everyone in the Jeep world has heard of Aqualu aluminium tubs, Kelowna, BC. Canada, for Jeeps and Gypsy. I guess no one makes aluminium tubs in India because of lack of demand and the difficulty in repairing it locally.
Old 21st January 2015, 15:26   #88
Senior - BHPian

Another weekend and another 300 Kms, engine note is getting smoother, hopefully after oil change and head re-torquing, tappet setting it will be smoother.
Cooling system is (new aluminum radiator with sealed degassing tank and coolent) just perfect, covered old Khandala ghat (intentionally avoided express way) in hot afternoon. it reached 80 and stayed there throughout.
550 crown pinion ratios (4.88) are good for highways but offroad Classic/340s are better.

CJ3B Mix and Match – DIY Learning-dsci0108.jpg

CJ3B Mix and Match – DIY Learning-dsci0109.jpg

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 17:07   #89

Hi Shubhendra,
Congratulation, been following your post since initial days of your build and just today saw the outcome. I must confess it's "AWESOME!!" and inspiring too, that to an extant I got the bug in me now. With that being said, wanted to consult with you (since we both are based /or presently in Pune) about a Jeep that I came across.
Old 9th February 2015, 11:08   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjini View Post
Hi Shubhendra,
With that being said, wanted to consult with you (since we both are based /or presently in Pune) about a Jeep that I came across.
Hello Sinjini,
Since you are newbie, i cant send you PM. Please email me @ shubhendrasingh@gmail.com.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks