Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2015, 08:51   #31
BHPian

Re: Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story

Hello Mr. Manveet,
Congratulations on your new ride.
I would suggest you go for a power brake kit available for the Thar. The entire braking system must be revamped. Addition of dual diaphragm power brake booster, master cylinder, vacuum hose, mounting bracket and all the necessary hardware will be provided in the kit.

But it would definitely be a tedious job and ought to be avoided if you can upgrade to better brake pads and make-do with them.

I am not sure if Mahindra has such power brake kits for the Thar. But surely many off-roaders might be needing an entire braking system revamp.

Regards,
Ashok.

Last edited by Ashok Naik : 7th March 2015 at 08:52. Reason: wrong information
Old 7th March 2015, 11:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok Naik View Post
Hello Mr. Manveet,
Congratulations on your new ride.
I would suggest you go for a power brake kit available for the Thar. The entire braking system must be revamped. Addition of dual diaphragm power brake booster, master cylinder, vacuum hose, mounting bracket and all the necessary hardware will be provided in the kit.

But it would definitely be a tedious job and ought to be avoided if you can upgrade to better brake pads and make-do with them.

I am not sure if Mahindra has such power brake kits for the Thar. But surely many off-roaders might be needing an entire braking system revamp.

Regards,
Ashok.
Thanks Ashok for taking out time to share your inputs on this thread.

Am not sure if the latest version of the Thar comes factory fitted with dual-diaphragm boosters; my 2012 Thar had single diaphragm which I had replaced with dual diaphragm from the one used in the old Scorpio, and AFAIK, the remaining Thar brake kit was from the Bolero.

Regarding this Jeep, the necessary brake upgrade has already been done with all that you have mentioned plus solid discs upgraded to ventilated ones.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 21:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

A few quick WIP pics from today .. reduced roll cage height by 2 and 3 inches off the A and B pillars respectively.
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-20150308-21.13.28.jpg  

Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-20150308-21.15.05.jpg  

Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-20150308-21.16.46.jpg  

manveet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 11:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

Manveet,

I'm sure you would have already thought about it, but am wondering how the occupants will be protected from the spray coming off the rear wheels, with the wheel well raised and the tyres exposed.

Good luck with your build.

cheers!
Old 9th March 2015, 19:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Manveet,

I'm sure you would have already thought about it, but am wondering how the occupants will be protected from the spray coming off the rear wheels, with the wheel well raised and the tyres exposed.

Good luck with your build.

cheers!
Well, to be equally fair to everyone, the front fenders are also in the process of getting chopped off. What can I say - it's a Jeep thing .

Jokes apart, although the rear wheel has been raised the outer edge remains at the same point as OE without fender flares. So technically, the amount the wheels are exposed (i.e. outside the body-line) will be same as before. Not to say that the occupants will not be subject to the spray, but just that it may not necessarily be more than before. However, with the front fender getting chopped off, the same logic would not apply for driver and co-driver.
Old 9th March 2015, 19:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Nice Build Manveet.
One query, with the NGT tribunal 15+ year old vehicles now being banned in delhi, how do you plan to go about using this one in NCR?
The registration number looks Pre 2000 on this one.
Old 9th March 2015, 20:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Well, to be equally fair to everyone, the front fenders are also in the process of getting chopped off. What can I say - it's a Jeep thing .

Jokes apart, although the rear wheel has been raised the outer edge remains at the same point as OE without fender flares. So technically, the amount the wheels are exposed (i.e. outside the body-line) will be same as before. Not to say that the occupants will not be subject to the spray, but just that it may not necessarily be more than before. However, with the front fender getting chopped off, the same logic would not apply for driver and co-driver.
IIRC, Dr. Tejas, our resident Offroad guru, did something similar to his jeep, you may find his jeep's pics in the 'all jeep pics' thread. He may be able to comment on how it handles the splashes.

cheers
Old 9th March 2015, 20:46   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
IIRC, Dr. Tejas, our resident Offroad guru, did something similar to his jeep, you may find his jeep's pics in the 'all jeep pics' thread. He may be able to comment on how it handles the splashes.

cheers
That's a HUGE thread - will be akin to finding a needle in a haystack, perhaps you could help me out with some links or pics in case you have them handy.

Edit: Just found some on page 87 and 89 (started in reverse ), really sweet butch looking Jeep but it's on a very different theme. I have the Thar so wanted mine to be no-doors, open-top and as different looking from the Thar as possible. About the splashes, as far as I could make out from some pics, he has used temporary rubber mat as a make-shift fender flare - an easy DIY solution to be used in case of dire necessity.

Last edited by manveet : 9th March 2015 at 20:58.
Old 10th March 2015, 23:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

Almost done with the bodywork. Below are the latest pictures from tonight And the list of latest body work includes but not limited to ..
- roll cage redesign.
- front fender chop.
- fuel tank relocation and new tool box fabricated under rear seat.
- full interior flooring aluminum chequered plate.
- all new dashboard (or lack thereof)
- new drop down windshield frame (old was corroded). // two clip-locks to be added to top part similar to that at Base of frame.
- new foot board. // contemplating design change.
- front shackles.
- front grill pushed forward by 1.5 inches.

Pending job includes installing brand new wiring harness, new instrument cluster, etc. Plus underbody black paint and full body primer. Paint job after a month of using it as it is.

Quick questions ..
- is the footrest ok or should I go in for something like a rockslider.
- how would a stinger look?
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-20150310-23.30.23.jpg  

Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-20150310-23.28.59.jpg  

Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-20150310-23.28.21.jpg  

Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-20150310-23.29.41.jpg  

Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-20150310-23.31.08.jpg  

Last edited by manveet : 11th March 2015 at 00:02.
Old 11th March 2015, 16:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Quick questions ..
- is the footrest ok or should I go in for something like a rockslider.
- how would a stinger look?
Manveet Ji,
Your Jeep is shaping up very well and purposely built. One question, why you pushed front front grill, was it causing an issue because of chassis cut ?

is the footrest ok or should I go in for something like a rockslider.
DO you really need a footrest ? if yes, then reduce the height of current as much as it sits next to body panel and smoothen the outer shape and you have your desi rock slider. Else go for rock sliders made by Viji. They are good

how would a stinger look?
Stinger will definitely look cool and a must if you are planning for HARDCORE stuff. we realized it last Sunday when in a very very steep drop of 15 feets one gypsy was on 90 degree touching front fog lights with ground and for a moment we though it will topple, but thankfully it went backwards after 2 anxious seconds (check my FB profile for video of the same). Day by day we realize the importance of such stuff, few years back i laughed it off when one of my friend asked about relevance of Stinger.

I do hope you are fitting rear manual locker as well, its game changer in tricky situations.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 11th March 2015, 21:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Manveet Ji,
Your Jeep is shaping up very well and purposely built. One question, why you pushed front front grill, was it causing an issue because of chassis cut ?
That was purely because of looks. I wasn't liking the one inch overhang of bonnet over grill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manveet
is the footrest ok or should I go in for something like a rockslider.
Quote:
DO you really need a footrest ? if yes, then reduce the height of current as much as it sits next to body panel and smoothen the outer shape and you have your desi rock slider. Else go for rock sliders made by Viji. They are good
Actually I had asked him to make this a bit higher, but he did it like this as he got a good fitting on the chassis, apparently higher would have meant some sort of a jugaad fitting. Will check it out once again tomorrow and then take a final call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manveet
how would a stinger look?
Quote:
Stinger will definitely look cool and a must if you are planning for HARDCORE stuff. we realized it last Sunday when in a very very steep drop of 15 feets one gypsy was on 90 degree touching front fog lights with ground and for a moment we though it will topple, but thankfully it went backwards after 2 anxious seconds (check my FB profile for video of the same). Day by day we realize the importance of such stuff, few years back i laughed it off when one of my friend asked about relevance of Stinger.
Hmm. Just whatsapped my denter a few pictures. Will be going in for a stinger then. If I am at it, might as well go all out.

Quote:
I do hope you are fitting rear manual locker as well, its game changer in tricky situations.
That's on the cards, along with engine upgrade to DI Turbo - but in phase 2/3, after I play around with this build for a few months.

Last edited by manveet : 11th March 2015 at 21:32.
Old 12th March 2015, 09:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

When seen from side profile the same width of side plate should have had continued.
You are looking at one-of-a-kind jeep then may I suggest that bike/cycle like fenders be addede (RED CIRCLES) over wheels.
Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-201503102023_28_21.jpg

Just my two cents.

Regards-Sonu
Old 12th March 2015, 23:40   #43

Hey Manmeet,

Congrats on the new jeep and this is turning out to be quite a mod.
Just wanted to to ask you a couple of quick questions since your ride also has a XD3P engine. Are genuine parts for this mill easily available in Delhi? I checked for them in a couple of places in Chandigarh but couldn't find them.
I am also planning to get my first jeep this weekend and the one that I have zeroed in has the same engine. Also, in your opinion would be advisable to wait till i find something with the DI engine or go with this. My priority is to have the same engine no on the RC as well.
Moreover, it would be a great help if you could post a couple of pics of the engine bay and if you could tell me where is the engine number marked.

Thanks again.

PS This is my first post. Congrats again.
Old 13th March 2015, 23:56   #44
Senior - BHPian

Latest pictures from tonight. Stinger and a few small things pending to be done by tomorrow evening, which is when I take delivery. Paint job in a fortnight.
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-20150313-23.16.32.jpg  

Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-20150313-23.18.19.jpg  

Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-20150313-23.19.11.jpg  

Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-20150313-23.20.14.jpg  

Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-20150313-23.20.58.jpg  

Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-20150313-23.42.11.jpg  

Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-20150313-23.44.00.jpg  

Last edited by manveet : 14th March 2015 at 00:04.
manveet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 23:30   #45
Senior - BHPian

Have been enjoying the Jeep before it goes in for the next set of mods .. half-canopy, 35 inchers, and some more body work that the bigger wheels would entail . ..
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-dsc_0002-copy.jpg  

Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-dsc_0007.jpg  

Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-dsc_0009.jpg  

Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-dsc_0012.jpg  

Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-dsc_0018.jpg  

Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-dsc_0025.jpg  

manveet is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed