Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2015, 09:40   #61
BHPian

Re: Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story

Hi Manveet,
4.88 will be an apt ratio when you switch to Di turbo. You will get an easy cruising speed of 80/90 and maybe 110 tops. I run 33/4.88/Di T on my build and it does easily cruise at those speeds with the KMT gearbox. Offroad too it will be better than 4.27 as 4.88 gives Better low end torque meaning lesser wheel spin and slower crawling. Here's a chart which will give an idea on tyre size/axle ratio calculations (Source: The internet)

http://www.alloyusa.com/gear-ratio-calculator/

Regards
Barani
commander is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 10:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander View Post
Hi Manveet,
4.88 will be an apt ratio when you switch to Di turbo. You will get an easy cruising speed of 80/90 and maybe 110 tops. [/url]

Regards
Barani
Are you sure about speed figures ? we never achieved 80/90 with 4.27 and 31 inches tyres in DiTurbo.....
Engine RPM does make difference !

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh

Last edited by Shubhendra : 10th April 2015 at 10:43.
Old 10th April 2015, 11:17   #63
BHPian

Yes boss it does reach those speeds. Now with AC i still cruise easy at those speeds. Im yet to update my thread on the recent mods. I still get about 11ish mileage but with AC its gone down a bit. Might tweak it a bit more for mileage after a couple of runs. From my personal feedback with 31 and 33's I have regularly done those speeds but still think the Jeep has better drivability with 33 than 31 on road ie. A year ago I did tweak the fuel pump just for the heck of it and was seriously taken back by what difference the engine makes(fe was down to 10 without ac but performance wise was massive difference), then re calibrated and now in normal setting. We shall TD it the next time you head south

Regards
Old 10th April 2015, 11:33   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander View Post
We shall TD it the next time you head south
Sure Barani Saheb,
Its an eye opener for me. one 550 which is of my friend's but i am involved in mechanical work, reaches 80-90 with 4.27 and 31 inch tyres. Though we never tested the fuel efficiency and may never do it in the future but I am seriously interested in fuel pump tweaking which you did. Can you please PM your number, will call you for those settings.
It has 2011 DiTurbo engine.a

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 12th April 2015, 12:01   #65
BHPian

@manveet

have you had a chance to test for wander, bump-steer, and death-wobble after the 35" upgrades?

do have a look at this - pretty good info on lifts, tire up-sizing + ideas on how to go about fixing

*credits to original authors, cited here for reference

cheers, keep-jeepin'
lugnut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 01:08   #66
Senior - BHPian

Been a while since I updated this thread .. so here's a picture from yesterday ..

Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-dsc_0321-copy-copy.jpg

And this one to add a little perspective on size ..

Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-dsc_0316-copy.jpg
manveet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2015, 17:35   #67
BHPian

Hey Manveet,

The Jeep looks good and purpose built.

I would love to hear your experience with regards to on road handling, steering effort and braking.

Also, looking at the pictures, the rear leaf spring mount next to the rear bumper seems to be protruding a bit too much.

It could just be the angle at which the picture is clicked.

Have you measured the approach, ramp-over and the departure angle for your jeep.?

Regards,

L.o.R
Old 7th July 2015, 17:06   #68
Senior - BHPian

All specifications have become totally off confirmation. Shaft travel, gear ratio, braking power. One can only wait and watch.

If an engine upgrade is being planned go for a confirmatory - Bolero DI engine with its gear box, axles, power steering, and brake boosters. This will buy a lot of peace for some time.
Old 12th July 2015, 02:44   #69
Senior - BHPian

Truer words were never spoken. ..
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-life-2.jpg  

manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 12:12   #70
Senior - BHPian

Another one post the latest OTR .. Yeah, I know. Badass.
Attached Thumbnails
Never thought I'd build a Jeep! My MM540 story-11267215_10155817952985321_2727892047775640082_n.jpg  

manveet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:56   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Another one post the latest OTR .. Yeah, I know. Badass.
looks mean and in proper colors.. Keep a set of wheel bearing and kingpin joints handy.. also a couple of rear axles.. My fronts axles are still holding up good on the 35's.. lost just a rear one after 7 OTR's and lost of miles on road..
Old 17th August 2015, 21:53   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Dhabhar Saheb,
Why its technically incorrect ? other than steering, rest is all bolt on job which thousands of jeepers have done (including me). I need to understand what is wrong in conversion even putting power steering.
Technology has evolved in last few decades (that's why designed Thar CRDe else M&M would have been still selling MM550). Everyone want their jeep to be safe (stoppable), easy to maneuver (power steering) etc......
What is wrong in that, I will never ever put my money in Thar CRDe, i will put half of that money and build the REAL JEEP !
BTW, when are we having tea session at Baner, my Bolero 4x4 is there with a Willy 52 and now ready CJ3B diesel.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh

Hi Shubhendra,

Will it be more effective to install tractor type hydraulic system for assisting steering rather than using those systems in discussion here. As we are seeing lots of them in use recently in many OTRs, please suggest whether it will be a complex mod or similar to other system install.

Regards,
winsler

PS: I'm a newbie, got bit by a jeep bug out of nowhere last year, ended up here in the galaxy of automobile knowledge space.
Old 18th August 2015, 10:43   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsler_srider View Post
Will it be more effective to install tractor type hydraulic system for assisting steering rather than using those systems in discussion here. As we are seeing lots of them in use recently in many OTRs, please suggest whether it will be a complex mod or similar to other system install.
Why you want to use hydraulic steering ? for our use power steering is sufficient. If you want to use your jeep only for offroad (after hydraulic steering its dangerous on road at high speed), then its fine else bolero's power steering setup in jeep works fine.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Old 18th August 2015, 11:16   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsler_srider View Post
Hi Shubhendra,

The tractor type fully hydraulic steering is the easiest to install. It can also be fabricated to have really strong tie rod ends.

However, the steering is fully hydraulic. Meaning, it has no connection from the steering wheel to the tyres, and hence no feedback. So, ON-ROAD use with that steering would be horrendous and dangerous.

So, if you plan to use this Jeep only for off-road, then yes go ahead.
Old 18th August 2015, 12:50   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Why you want to use hydraulic steering ? for our use power steering is sufficient. If you want to use your jeep only for offroad (after hydraulic steering its dangerous on road at high speed), then its fine else bolero's power steering setup in jeep works fine.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Hi Subhendra,

I was not aware about the on-road performance of hydraulic steering system that it will not be suitable for high speed [60-80 kmph]. Really appreciate the input. Also I don't plan to use my ride just for off-road purpose alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The tractor type fully hydraulic steering is the easiest to install. It can also be fabricated to have really strong tie rod ends.

However, the steering is fully hydraulic. Meaning, it has no connection from the steering wheel to the tyres, and hence no feedback. So, ON-ROAD use with that steering would be horrendous and dangerous.

So, if you plan to use this Jeep only for off-road, then yes go ahead.
Hi Dhanush,

Pardon me , but can you please explain why did you refer hydraulic system do not have feed back, IMHO even though there is no direct physical connection, they are in a way linked together, rite. If they do not give feed back how do we use them in off-road situation as well. Please shed some light on this as I would like to have myself prepared for rectifying any doubts I might end up in before getting in action. Also I would like to use him for on-road average speed cruising as well [60-80 kmph].

Regards,
winsler

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks