Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Old 4th November 2018, 18:44   #106
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: 1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
Don't have many photos from the last ( 2017-18 ) winter but this here is my favourite. Running the gypsy in a snowstorm accompanied with my friend G and his son. The Mg410w is like a old lovable uncle among the kids. I'm just glad they are growing up with a 4wd in the house. Also the Mg410w brings out a smile in everybody.
I love your thread. And the warmth of the style of writing.
Hopefully I will (by Godís Grace) come there one day in my old green gypsy and meet you man!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 14:12   #107
BHPian

Another simple yet essential winter To do completed today. Making sure all my lights - front and rear are in prime working order. Since I do not have any additional lights, fog lamps or DRLs it makes sense to keep the stock setup at its 100%. It's a simple thing. Use a screwdriver set to take apart the mounts. Clean the reflectors & bulbs, squirt a bit of wd40 on the connectors and clean the glass case with an old toothbrush.

Yes I know my lights look a lot worse for wear but they are oem with the date of manufacture (1996) printer on them so I'm keeping them as is for now.

Being an old vehicle everything is held together with screws rather than plastic clips which have a propensity to break when taken apart. This is something that I really love about these rugged old vehicles - they encourage the diy'er in you because they are so easy to work with.
While I was at it I decided to put a bottle of Vaseline to good use.
The battery terminals have a liberal coat of Vaseline. I find this keeps corrosion at bay.

The other involves my wiper routine.
1. Clean the blade using a soft cotton cloth.
2. Use a vinegar dipped cloth to clean it again.
3. Then rub a tiny amount of Vaseline to keep the rubber supple and nourished.

Once this was done. All moving exposed parts like hinges etc were sprayed with WD40.
One thing to remember with WD40 is that it will displace grease along with water so make sure it's only used at places where you would not apply grease.

With that today's DIY workshop is closed. Total time 2 hours with John Fogerty on the speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
I believe most of the major hill towns have at least one expert mechanic. In Shimla we have Mini; the guy is quite a legend and has been working on Gypsys for the last 30 years & used to work for Vijay Parmar (the guy who started Raid De Himalaya) & has his own workshop now on the outskirts of Shimla. His expertise on Gypsys has to be experienced to be believed.
Mini is a legend. Even I have heard of him. Remember I posted a long time about a knackered exhaust in Barog. The workshop guy suggested that if I was headed to Shimla better get gypsy looked over by mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I love your thread. And the warmth of the style of writing.
Hopefully I will (by God's Grace) come there one day in my old green gypsy and meet you man!
More the merrier @shankar.balan. You are most welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-1541407201191.jpg  

1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-1541407232287.jpg  

1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-1541407256050.jpg  

1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-1541407445128.jpg  

Last edited by antihero : 5th November 2018 at 14:15.
antihero is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 14:40   #108
BHPian

Default Re: 1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places

How do you apply vaseline on the wiper blades? Is it the regular vaseline? Wouldn't it smudge the windscreen?
crdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 15:54   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
How do you apply vaseline on the wiper blades? Is it the regular vaseline? Wouldn't it smudge the windscreen?
Ok 2 things
1. You need to apply the Vaseline on the flat side of the wiper, not on the edge that meets the glass.
2. The idea is to use a very small amount. Not to smother the blade, but just a tiny amount that gets absorbed and keeps the rubber nourished.

I've been doing this for the last 4 years. We get sub zero temps 2-3 months in a year and I've noticed that this keeps the rubber blades from drying out and cracking. I've applied normal yellow Vaseline today and by tomorrow the wiper blade would have absorbed it. So no streaks.

Less is more here.
antihero is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2018, 19:11   #110
BHPian

Winter is here and more snow means more guests. More guests means limited garage space. So the Gypsy has to brave the weather gods and stay out in the open in the snow. Here she is in her usual outdoor parking place.
1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-1544708021980.jpg
Usual parking place

1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-1544707902324.jpg
Outdoor parking

Speaking of snow -

1. The Scotch Brite glass cleaner is doing steller duty and is a must have to remove snow (note: snow not ice. For ice you will need a proper ice scraper). There are other cheaper versions but this has the best rubber blade (available in India) that lasts me around 2 winters.
1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-1544707989185.jpg

2. If you're parking out in the snow it helps if you leave the wiper blades pulled up, not against the glass. Which reduces your snow build up.
1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-1544707963864.jpg

3. Always remove the snow from the roof before starting out. If you do not chances are that it will fall on your windshield when you're braking and cause a total vision loss.
1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-1544708004686.jpg

4. Another tip that my Swedish hosts taught me a long time ago was never to leave the parking brake on in cold weather. It may cause the brakes to stick even when you've released the hand brake. Which is not what you want.

For now the old girl still starts in a single (though longer) self, despite being parked outside in sub zero temps.
1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-1544708054612.jpg

Last edited by antihero : 13th December 2018 at 19:17.
antihero is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2019, 10:27   #111
BHPian

Not much to report except for an incredibly cold winter we've had this year. The thing that I miss most on the gypsy is winter tyres. We have been dealing with over 3 feet of snow for the past month or so. This means the MG410w can't make the final 50 metres (with a sharp bend, so can't use momentum) to my home which involves going up a very steep slope that requires 4L 1 gear even when there's no snow.
Other than that there's nothing much to report. The only interesting bits are a couple of knocks by other vehicles who braked on descents and skidded into my gypsy and an army truck that stalled and skidded back a couple of metres into my front bumper. The Mg410w still starts and stops pretty much normal. I have loaded in 8 people when they were stuck in their hotel due to a major snowfall. Have been asked to make tracks for numerous cars when they couldn't get out of snow and so on. The usual winter routine. The 4wd has been getting a lot of use. Tyre pressure is kept down to 18psi, which when coupled with fresh snow makes for the plushest rides I've ever experienced in a gypsy.

Have been recently talking to a few gypsy owners, about the ability to better handle snow (mostly young men with souped up 413s, with snorkels and 31" MT tyres) the first thing that they tell me is the the 410w is woefully underpowered and that I should invest in a 413 before I look at any mods.
Nevertheless, with my 8 years of snow driving experience - 4 in Scandinavia and 4 here in the Himalayas I don't think more power is the solution for better snow / ice handling. I think my Mg410w is limited by traction rather than power. More bhp/torque can help in a situation where my Gypsy had to push through snow that goes above its bumper height (which had never happened yet). In other situations (especially like a steep climb to my house) it's never failed to push through fresh snow. In such situations more power to the wheels will only make them spin faster and result in even less traction. Where I lose out is the traction my Michelin tyres seem to provide, while excellent in Sumner's they don't seem to latch on that well in snow and ice. No limited slip differential means once two wheels start spinning (front n rear) the gypsy isn't going anywhere. Then I have to resort to the good old rocking front and back to get it out of a large drift.

Hence the entire winter tyres / chains debate.
About winter tyres - since I can't seem to procure them in Chandigarh I'm thinking on investing in a pair of snow chains. Thule and Koenig come to mind when it comes to snow chains and I especially like the Thule quick fix solution. The chains go on n off in under a minute and have a self tensioning system.

I haven't used snow chains in a while now and therefore if someone had experience in this department I would appreciate some help on finalizing which ones should I get next month from Europe?
Attached Thumbnails
1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-1549083159826.jpg  

1996 Maruti Gypsy MG410W - Going places-1549083172419.jpg  

Last edited by antihero : 2nd February 2019 at 10:31.
antihero is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote