Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2016, 15:33   #16
BHPian

Re: My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4- help needed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Winsler Srider - hello to you. I have quoted your sentence above, which identifies the problem correctly. The solution is to replace the front caliper assemblies complete with pads. Nothing else will work, so don't waste your time and money, unless you actually look forward to fiddling around with "localized solutions" .
Hi Behram ji, Rajith,

Last Saturday, I have changed only the right side break caliper kit. The piston cylinder as I showed in the earlier pic had rust, so was serviced and the rust was removed and placed back. I could not check the break pads that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Check manufacturing compatibility, whether Bosch Chassis Systems (old KBX) or Brakes India and buy accordingly, do not mix BCS with BIL, boosters are not compatible because pedal effort v/s deceleration characteristics are slightly different. BCS has more bite, BIL has more life. I presume that all other brake aggregates are in order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Seems you have to replace Master cylinder with Booster also. Try Thar Crde single diaphragm type.Many people has upgraded old Thar boosters to Scorpios double diaphragm type, so finding one will be easy. Also for XDP3 Engine this will be more than enough.
Today morning, I went and got the pads checked. It was written "Rane" on them, all 4 of them [green in color] from both wheels. The pads on left side had even wear while that on right had slightly less wear on the edges. Switched the pads from left and right. The swing is less now, but it has not completely gone. Both pads and discs seem to be in good health.

About the booster part, I had them in jeep when I bought it. 1 and half year back, I got them changed with new booster set, mass cylinder is still the same. But got them serviced as there was a leak in the MC kit washer and replaced with new kit. And as Rajith mentioned, now mechanic says that I need to get whole new MC as there was some wear inside the MC which can be the reason for the loss in load.

Thanks to both of you for quick response. I will sure check on the MC as well as pads.
Also Behram ji, Rajith, shall I replace all pads with BSC version like as advised earlier or do you feel there is anything more that I can do before the change.

regards,
winsler

Last edited by winsler_srider : 11th January 2016 at 15:38. Reason: adding more content
Old 11th January 2016, 16:22   #17
BANNED

Re: My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4- help needed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsler_srider View Post
mechanic says that I need to get whole new MC as there was some wear inside the MC which can be the reason for the loss in load.
Always while replacing Insist on changing MC and Booster assembly as a factory assembled set in one go.

Last edited by Rajith : 11th January 2016 at 16:25.
Old 11th January 2016, 22:41   #18
BHPian

Re: My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4

hi Rajith,

The booster that you mentioned - single diaphragm Thar crde version, was it about used one and do you have any guy who has a piece to sell or any place that I can go and check it. The only location that I know is Muvattupuzha which I will have a look soon. Or should I get a new one ?

currently I have the added one. It appears to be one similar to that in bolero pick up or similar, not sure. Have a look.

The reason why I changed the booster alone was that there was this stone like effect when break pedal is used, it was very hard to press down. The mechanic from the workshop in Kollenchery where I used to take my jeep for mechanical issues told me to do so and let the MC be same.

From Saturday, I've been checking on the break fluid level. There is no decrease in the quantity.

regards,
winsler
Attached Thumbnails
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_7972.jpg  

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_7976.jpg  

Last edited by winsler_srider : 11th January 2016 at 22:43. Reason: adding more content
Old 12th January 2016, 05:14   #19
BANNED

Please buy a new one with MC and Booster assembled for Bolero,Thar or Scorpio single/double diaphragm non ABS version.Never compromise on safety aspects.

Last edited by Rajith : 12th January 2016 at 05:23.
Old 12th January 2016, 11:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Please buy a new one with MC and Booster assembled for Bolero,Thar or Scorpio single/double diaphragm non ABS version.Never compromise on safety aspects.
Hi Rajith,

Sure. I'll be replacing the system immediately.

regards,
winsler
Old 17th January 2016, 23:09   #21
BHPian

Sunday, 28th September

The plan was to start early and get to the resort well in time and have good breakfast. But you know, plans mostly don’t get along much. Manu had some trouble and was not feeling well. We were looking for medical shops but none was open at 8 AM. We tried to look around and lost 30 mins. Finally we decided to push on and after getting a refueling for the jeep we started around 8:40 AM. From Kattapana to Vagamon, we made a dash and reached there at 10:05 AM, which I thought we will not make it. Thank God! Got there and wow, the number of vehicles this time had gone up to a lot more that what we saw last time.

Ran to the registration desk and made our entry. Got the kit, stuck all stickers like where ever we could fit them on and the quickest breakfast. Had lots of bread and butter, fruit slices, tea. Then back to the jeep. By this time most of the jeeps had gone and only few were remaining. Not to get lost from the start itself, we again rushed and reached the entrance of the plantation. This time till the meadows and the river area, route was all same.

regards,
winsler
Attached Thumbnails
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-img_20150927_101119.jpg  

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-img_20150927_110948.jpg  

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-img_20150927_111252.jpg  

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-img_20150927_112627.jpg  

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-img_20150927_114316.jpg  

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_0964.jpg  

Old 18th January 2016, 01:12   #22
Zed
BHPian

Re: Evolution - Becoming the rider of MM550 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsler_srider View Post
I knew that jeeps have louder engine compared to cars, the people saying made me listen to the XD3P engine roar more specifically and then I found one thing. Lower RPMs gives a sweet flowing honey low tone sound from engine while if we rev the engine tone changes and there comes the roar.
The 'howl' you desribe is possibly the noise from the engine driven fan. Engine driven cooling fans can produce a lot of noise ( and sap up to 5-6% of engine power) at high engine rpms
Old 18th January 2016, 22:07   #23
BHPian

Zed,

5-6% for me is not a big deal but just to know do we have any means to reduce this loss, may be by use of an electric fan or so.

regards,
winsler
Old 19th January 2016, 00:07   #24
BHPian

After photos we went downhill to the river. There was this two 2WD Boleros and 1 Quanto, I think. They managed to have fun in their own way. But unlike last time when we had our fun started from river, this time we started doing madness from the downhill itself. We were in the trail line waiting for those in front to start moving. While watching the boleros playing to stop sliding and trying to keep within the trail, a guy who was carrying a DSLR came towards us and said why waste the time, we can move forward through the grass. At first we didn’t think about it. But then I thought, anyway we are there to do some adventure, why not start with something like a simple drive through grass and all. Took a sharp right [sharp in jeep sense] and we are out of the track and into the sea of grass. It was so tall that we could not see the jeeps lying right next on to our left side in some places. And there it was, the feeling of driving through a terrain where we can’t see what’s there in front of us, sliding, slipping, dipping, running over broken bamboo sticks, like an elephant roaming through some thick forest, we made it all the way down. And it was feeling so good to make a way of our own, not knowing what will happen and finally making to the end. Everyone started looking at us and we became one of the story points of that section of the trail.

regards,
winsler
Old 19th January 2016, 00:19   #25
BHPian

Once we reached to the river, this marshal came yelling “Don’t break the line, Don’t break the line” and then we stopped. At the river side, another stunt was going on. Marshals were pulling a jeep that by accident took a front dip into the river while trying to cross and had engine trouble due to water through intake.

There was this Willys team [who were people whom I knew indirectly] in front of us and seeing this they said they will drive along the banks. And next was ours. Then I thought we should have stayed in the trail, without reaching here so fast and could have had more time. But even if so, if we have to cross the river, it will be the same river. Decision was to try that crossing or not. And knowing much about what will happen, I jumped on to the driver seat. Manu joined me. We got out luggage to the Willys and you see what happened next.

regards,
winsler
Attached Thumbnails
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_0972.jpg  

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1003.jpg  

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1018.jpg  

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1006.jpg  

Old 19th January 2016, 00:32   #26
BHPian

And we made it! Yes! When the front tiers got slipped into the river, it was like we were about dive into the river and had some scenes of Titanic flashing in mind, water seeping in from all loop and gaps and while driving forward we even saw water rising over the bonnet as I drove a bit fast once we got out of the tricky area and then again marshal was yelling “drive slowly, water will get inside the engine”. Ahh! That was some awesome experience, in the video the guy standing in the river guides us what to do and we were having a conversation while water is flooding in our jeep. Behind us everyone was shouting to move forward and get out. But we started after a fine chat, slowly made our way to the other side. Also to the right of the river, there is this somewhat deep pit, that made other jeep stall waiting for us as well. Driving backwards. we moved more into that dip but with some luck ,my jeep pulled us forward and out of the danger zone.

Once we got out of that river, at some sloppy area we stopped and water was still leaking out from all the floor panels. Then we had some nice good view of other few jeeps who tried that obstacle. In between, the willys team was there and they came to ask about the river part and I was still on the excitement. I couldn’t believe I really drove my jeep through even more deeper river. It was another sparkling moment in my life, I should say. Anyway, I told them what happened like it was a piece of cake. And by then they mentioned where they are from and then I got to identify them and he also recognized me, I was actually waiting for having another guy or team to meet with so that I don’t have to go for any event alone and finally met one team.

regards,
winsler
Attached Thumbnails
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-img_20150927_115037.jpg  

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1012.jpg  

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1015.jpg  

Old 19th January 2016, 00:37   #27
BHPian

While we were waiting for the teams to try the river section and the convoy was on halt, I felt some fluid on my trousers, right side. Checked it and was feeling like blood and it was blood. And I was thinking that few people were standing close to me and may be some cut or bruise might have happened to them and they were bleeding. I began to walk behind all of them asking are there anyone hurt or so. Meanwhile one guy asked me to check whether it is from me or not. Wonder what! It was a leach on my right thigh which sucked most of the blood from that part and was looking like a big “date” fruit and it simply fell off to the ground when I shook my leg. It was bleeding and was not stopping which then I had to handle with my handkerchief. Finally after checking thrice all over me that there are no more blood drinkers, we joined the trail. I had to use my spare shorts that time. And my friends were laughing all over the place.

Like last time, this time also the small climb that came after the river gave trouble to some rides. They were sliding sideways and even after winching, it took lot of time for them to get to the top. It can be due to the old tires that were there in that jeep. And after this within few turns we were off the track that we had last time.

regards,
winsler
Attached Thumbnails
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1041.jpg  

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1043.jpg  

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1047.jpg  

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1050.jpg  

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1055.jpg  

Old 19th January 2016, 02:01   #28
BHPian

And from here we had even more fun. There was this small stream section with rocky slopes. There was also a small bridge that we can use to get over the stream. We could choose the path and I chose the stream after seeing what others were doing. Have a look.

I was very sad that I couldn’t make it till the top, I was not able understand that I needed some momentum all along rather than to try with just crawling. I’m learning and got a new chapter in my bag. All the time in that stream, I was driving like it’s a traffic section and no hurry. Thought to get over it gently. Anyway, after trying that we were off to few more tricky places but the most fun part was these. We had a shallow river crossing with turns. The rain made things more interesting. The way jeep slides all over the track moving through the sticky slushy soil were a good entertainment. And this time also through some point in the trail, we got a chance to have a glimpse of the competition group from a long distance. And then quickly back to the resort. Had lunch at about 5 PM.

regards,
winsler
winsler_srider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 10:34   #29
BHPian

While having lunch, I was sitting on the back of a getaway and I kept my jeep’s key on top of it. I had a thought that I will probably be forgetting to take that key back after having lunch, but still I kept it there. And just like I thought, I forgot. After having lunch watching all the beauty that nature had in display there, I walked away from there to the tent. Without any thought I spent some time there, taking pictures and collecting the certificates and when we came near our jeep, Yes! I don't have my keys. I was unable to recall it at the beginning but within few seconds I realized that it was there on top of that Scorpio. And it was gone. We were running all over the place to find the key, but no luck. We thought the key would have fell down some place there, but it was not. Told the organizers about the matter, they called the Scorpio team and luckily they did notice the key on top of their vehicle and took it with them. And they had not gone very far. Me and the Willys team rushed to them, got the keys back and so started happily and thanking God again and again, back to home. On the way back there was heavy rain and the open top Willys team had to take shelter near Kuravilangad and we parted with them. Back to home at about 10 PM with such an awesome feeling of having great “escape” adventure and having my jeep still in one piece. Adios.

regards,
winsler
Attached Thumbnails
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1081.jpg  

Old 23rd July 2016, 22:37   #30
BHPian

After having the last ride filled with lots of eventful moments, I was rolling back and forth between work and home doing my routine activities. Days passed, months passed and I'm not able to get any details about any off-roading event or occasional fun drives. Thus got completely down with just casual rounds around my locality with jeep to have some warm up session. In between I met a couple of -BHPians at Tonico Cafe - Jijo Varghese [XtremeTorque] and Naveen Raju [naveen.raju]. We expected more to join us but realized it was just three of us making mini meet a nano meet.

link:
[http://www.-bhp.com/forum/-bhp-meet-...chin-129.html]

We had small talk about all of us, had coffee and with some parting shots of our rides we left back to our lives. While at the cafe, I've mentioned that I'm into bit off-roading. And Jijo was also having interest in the same, but later on I realized its not like the one that I was talking about. His plan was to have a Safari and go to Himalayas.

Anyway, what happened next was something I never imagined that could give a big break in my off-roading life.

Jijo told me that there's this event - Bangalore Annual OTR coming up in January and if possible we could attend this event. I readily said yes as I was all rusted down to bare metal of my mind without having a single event for the past 3 months. We started planning.

Event is on Jan 22,23,24. We have to reach on time since this is for both of us a special opportunity and should not be late. And it went like this.

Jijo: Hey, we should we reach there ?
Me: The event starts by 6 pm, registering and collecting itenaries, so 5:30 pm would be greate.
Jijo: ok, when should we leave from our place ?
Me: shall we start at Thursday night 9 pm, so that we can reach there by 5-5:30 pm. [I like continuous drives, with tiny or no breaks]
Jijo: i don't suggest that, night driving though those places with all cargo carrying trucks and trailers with flood lights as head lights, might not be good option. shall we start by evening and get a stay at Coimbatore and then head on to location Friday morning ?
Me:[after some thinking] yeah, that should be good, also we can have some to take rest in between.

So it was decided. Necessary items were noted and arranged. Made required excuses and fights in office to get two days of leave [as it was the most crucial week of our project and I'm taking leave at the same time]. Now it was Thursday noon and with less time left, I started getting more work at office. I called Jijo and told, "can we please leave by 5 pm instead of 4 pm?". He said ok. Thankfully by 5 pm I was able to make some do and put rest of the work on my colleagues shoulder and dashed out from office. Went home stuffed my jeep with required items and we met at CSEZ by 5.30 pm. He just arrived by cab and without wasting no time we started.

BAOTR, here we come !

regards,
winsler
Attached Thumbnails
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-bangalore-annual-offroad.jpg  

Last edited by winsler_srider : 23rd July 2016 at 23:04. Reason: more content

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks