Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2016, 21:15   #31
BHPian

Re: My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4

We were going in good pace and past the off roading at ghat section of "Kuthiraan" in Selam-Kochi highway we crossed Palakkad. We had tea-dosa from a shop at Palakkad. Jijo also told that going forward we might face issue in getting drinking water and so we bought 1 case packaged drinking water.

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-cybershot-11.jpg

And finally by 10.30 pm around we reached at the lodge that Jijo had booked earlier at Coimbatore. Checked in and with some biscuit crunch time it was just about right to fall down on to the bed and start dreaming.

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-cybershot-8.jpg
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1527.jpg

We woke up at around 7 am, got ready and checked out of the lodge. Made a small search around the block for a breakfast spot and yes it was perfect. But unfortunately we were not aware about how they do breakfast there.

We both ordered Iddly-sambar and yes - Iddly drenched in plate full of sambar !!!
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-cybershot-19.jpg

I was able to fish all the Iddlys from the pool of sambar and gave a gentle press to get excess sambar out of it and had it, but unlike at my native place, here the sambar seems to be more sweet which I liked. So ordered one more ghee roast. And Jijo was looking me like I got no plan to leave that hotel. Anyway way with a cup of tea for each of us finished we started from Coimbatore and into the forests of "Satyamangalam". We saw lots of monkeys, but couldn't find any elephants or other wild animals like the numerous sign boards said. There were college kids who were cleaning the road banks picking plastic wastes thrown by those who use that road. Though we didn't had time to join and help them, decided to help them by not throwing any waste items from us but the rear of my jeep was getting filled with all of these. We managed to stack them in plastic bags and planned to dispose off once we reach the destination. On then way we had crossed small section where road repair works were going on. Stopped there and gave company to some monkeys, we didn't feed them though.

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-cybershot-56.jpg
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-cybershot-42.jpg
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-cybershot-46.jpg

Once the road was cleared another hurdle came up - jeep is not starting, but with a couple of attempts he did start and we were off from there. We travelled in a small hairpin section with just 4 of them in line and after which we reached Chamarajanagar. Had lunch from there, we had totally different type of rice, sambar, veg mix curry and they all tasted very good. With lunch done and with water from the stocked case, we kept going. Roads were good at some place and moderately damaged at some other. Somewhere between Chamarajanagar and Malavalli, Jijo wanted to drive and so we stopped. On checking we saw fuel spilled out from the filling cover area. We were little tensed, went to near by house that I saw and got one long coconut leaf, just one stig of it and checked the fuel level and it was fine. Later realised that there is no leake but just bubbled out through the gaps of cover cap. And so we continued and finally reached Kanakapura and with help of Viji sir we made it to the venu by about 5.30 pm. Apart from us, there were "The Doctor" and Force Gurkha teams. And I was like a child on Christmas eve, seeing all the super scarry humangous rides, that I have seen only in pics right in front of me. It was beautiful !

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-cybershot-76.jpg
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-cybershot-79.jpg

regards,
winsler
winsler_srider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 21:46   #32
BHPian

Me and Jijo started talking about those huge vehicles whose videos only we have seen and went to the Gypsy that has been modified like the vehicles that we see in Malaysian RFC. They looked wicked and was having loads of eye candies installed all over it. They were carrying out few changes, making it ready for RFC India - South chapter event. After drooling over it and we decided to go for a walk around the entrance road, check out the local topology and sometime later we came back. By then it was getting busy as many rides came in, including the rides of people that I admire, though have not met in person.

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1580.jpg
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1581.jpg
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1579.jpg
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1585.jpg

We saw different types of vehicles, with stock set up, with necessary mods, with competition level set up, even brand new vehicle completely upgraded to something like this:

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1557.jpg

We felt alone in there, though there were lots of Malayalees which we didn't know. So instead we roamed around all vehicles, met few people with little hesitation since they were busy changing tires to MTs and other stuff. We saw Endeavor and Fortuner with off road bumpers, Fortuner with rear bumper cut so as to allow decent departure angle. It was like elephants with their head raised with all pride and honor when we saw many rides.

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1563.jpg

By then we went to the registration counter, made our entry in the list and collected the arrival day goodies. Then back to the camp. And now the organizers got the camp completely ready, camp fire was getting started, cooking went in full swing and all folks gathered at the meeting ground.

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_8035.jpg
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-cybershot-108.jpg
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1538.jpg

we both managed to get bed for ourselves and was settling down there and to have a bit for rest. Close to us there were two spirited seniors. We were actually a bit amused seeing them which eventually became respect to the courage of those men. While having some chit chat with these folks, I saw another guy. He was someone I have seen before but couldn't get the correct idea about this guy. He was in a hurry to get some stuff out from their area of tent and suddenly it struck me !

It's Mr.Dhanush S, one of the very well known techy whom we have here at -bhp. Also by my fortune it's with the same guy that frequently call and ask for all my completely base less yet complicated thoughts which I feel as my doubts, all the time over call, but I found it difficult to identify him right at the first moment.

Then with some courage mixed with excitement, I went to him and ask "You are DhanushS, rite. One from -BHP". He said yes and I told him "It's me Sivaprasad from Ernakulam, who calls you about doubts on jeep and all". As he was in a bit of hurry, with small introduction he left and I came back to my bed. By then Jijo had arranged the bed with all amenities, food [snacks], cloths and a Vicks ointment as he was feeling little head ache, guess it'd due to the long journey. We walked around a bit more, then came back got ready and went to the gathering area.

By then it was all dark and getting crowded with folks from major parts of the country. We sat with the seniors had some chat, then with some food and watching camp fire on one side, enjoyed the wonderful time that we were having there. When we went to one corner of that place, there were few guys talking with some familiar dialect, yes it was Malayalam. One big guy asked us where are we from and we said Kochi. Those guys were from Kozhikode - Robishetta, Althani, Venki Dude, Mubashir, Jithuchettan and some of their friends from Bangalore also. But the main event was yet to come. Any guesses ?

It is the one and only Mr.Sreejesh MP. [I couldn't get any pic or autograph as I was both afraid and excited to go near him when he came, he looked quite serious].

When I came to know that Sreejeshettan also is coming [I didn't know the fact that these people are regular to BAOTR] it was like fire works going on in my mind. I couldn't think of a way to meet the guy whose work on his jeep I consider more than as a reference in my project and there I'm getting a chance to see him and probably meet him. Wow ! that was something awesome. We stayed with the group, Robishettan was telling small small stories about their off road life, funny events and nerve breaking situations and all. Time was flying very fast and Jijo felt so tired, he seemed to fall down there itself and get some peace and sleep. And then the GUY came in. Sreejeshettan joined us and I'm seeing him, sitting in one corner of the table, Robishettan introduced me and Jijo to him. It was an overwhelming experience to me as it's like one of my role models is rite there and I'm talking to him. It was getting past midnight and condition of Jijo was going south, but I pushed him, stayed with the group for some more time, just listening to them talk about all the funny things and jeep related stuff. And so after a while Jijo could not take it anymore and so we were done for the day, with such an achievement [in my mind] of meeting two great guys same day.

regards,
winsler
Old 3rd August 2016, 16:07   #33
BHPian

Dear winslet_srider,
You are good at building the suspense. Please share your experience of RFC soon.

Regards,
Kaustubh Vaze
Old 9th August 2016, 22:48   #34
BHPian

Hey Kaustubh,

Sorry for the late entry, I had to get to Goa to watch Mahindra Club Challenge. And by the way, as we were out on our BODA trail, we couldn't watch the complete event of RFC South which happened at a different location. Just had a glimpse on one of the trail on Day 1 eve before we left for repairing our punctured tire. And for you to get more details I'm just sharing the link for thread on RFC South, 2016:

http://www.-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excurs...h-edition.html

regards,
winsler
winsler_srider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 23:14   #35
BHPian

As it was mentioned that the first day event will be starting by 7.30 AM, we managed to get up by 6.30 AM started to get ready. The time was such that every one was starting to come and it was getting slightly crowded. While I was waiting for a shower, I saw dude and we started talking about the rides we have and events attended. Then this guy came in a cotton bath towel with no shirt and he looked like a mess. It was again Sreejeshettan and when I asked dude what happened to him, he said it was the effects of last night. Funny thing was that there was a stall for Lamda locker and other off road accessories and my attention went to locker. I was looking on this stuff and saw the spider gears kept well in tact in a tiny space. I couldn't visualize how the differential provide different speed, the reason why it's called differential and how spiders work inside the carrier. Sreejeshattan explained it in the way he knows [I think that's the only way], but with my intelligent brain, I didn't understand ! There was Althani also near to us and he came to me explaining like in a class lecture style. Still I was not able to understand how its working. The only issue that I was missing from both these guys were the fact that two vertical spider gears can also revolve in horizontal axis while rotating themselves enabling the axle which needs more speed to rotate faster than the other one [which I understood later after coming from BODA by watching a video]. Sreejeshattan got fed up with me and left to take shower and I was with Althani, Mubashir and dude. Since the application of differential is still working without any issue in all of our rides including mine, I told them lets drop it for now, I'll clarify it myself later on which I did.

A good demo video:

Then us everyone got ready, we had quick breakfast which was nice, assembled near our rides. It was like a war zone. Like all soldiers getting ready to attack and getting divided to different regiment, some going one direction, some in other direction in packs and the air was getting dusty, announcements happening, in short something both of me and Jijo had never experienced before. It was getting more exciting. All got divided in 4 groups. We got track 1 and 4 in Day 1 and 2 and 3 in Day 2. When we started in one convoy to attempt our first track, we started getting the feel of what's BAORT.

As it was a new format for me, each and every trail obstacle were testing my limit and in the first trail after getting through all the obstacle, my jeep got a punctured tire while finishing the last downhill's final turn. But with the help and encouragement of the marshals there, I was able to make it back to the camp site which is almost two kilometers away from our trail with the punctured tire still leaking air. There was a 2 inch long dry branch that penetrated the right rear tire which tore the inner tube, but it was also limiting the tire to go flat instantly. By the time we made it to the camp it was almost flat and after a minute my ride sunk to the right rear side. And what happened next is most funniest and what's no/less expected from an off road enthusiast, which happen to happen with me.

From the time I had bought the jeep, I had no idea about the necessary items that one should carry with him all time everywhere and this turn of events from BODA taught me the importance of them. I didn't have a jack to lift the jeep to replace the punctured tire. And I was running like my bottom was on fire. And guess whom I met ?

The rally legend "Jagat Nanjappa". [It turned out not to be a pleasant meeting for both of us]. He kindly gave his high lift jack and since I've never seen it up that close I was actually trying to do something or the other to make it lift my jeep. Seeing what I was trying to do, he asked me "First time?" I said yes and he showed me how to use a high lift jack [Yes, Jagat sir taught me how to use hi lift jack, for free ]. I did rest of the jacking and finally jeep was lifted and we can unbolt the tire then. As I was thinking to do the same, situation just got even dumber. I didn't have wheel spanner. Yeah, I didn't even have a screw driver to tighten any loose screw and I felt like a low life in front of Jagat sir. And he was like "What, you don't have a spanner ?? Then why did you ask for jack ??" he look so mad at me and it was all my bad. Again started running the whole camp to get one spanner but no luck. Then saw Dhanushettan, went to him but Jagat sir told my wheel nuts are of 19 size[which was 21 actually, but I didn't know it then rite]. I told the same to Dhanushettan but he only had 21 size spanner. Finally with no way to replace the tire, I told Jagat sir that I'll give his jack back without causing any more delay for him. Now back to square one. All those time my notion was get everything working in the first place and just ride out, nothing will break and no bad will happen. But unfortunately, it was not good time for me.

In the end by around 1.30 pm, most of the guys came back after their first trail run and I got spanner from Aswin bhai and jack from the seniors who were staying next to us in the tent. Those guys asked me "How did I even made it to Bangalore without a spanner and jack??" I could only smile and thanked god for not making it any more worse! Replaced the tire, had food in short minutes, gave the tools back to their owners and off to the next trail for day 1.

Few videos.

It was after the below obstacle that I got a surprise gift from Sreejeshettan. He came to me and said "it was good and gave me a shake hand".
!!! That was a super awesome moment !!!

regards,
winsler
Old 10th August 2016, 22:30   #36
BHPian

The day was coming to an end and with both tracks almost finished without serious troubles, we went to see the RFC competition area where all the action was happening. And it was great to see those vehicles doing such tremendous performance through all those trail courses and winching obstacles. The Gurkha were doing superbly and I remembered someone saying that it had turbo right after 0 rpm, no turbo lag ! Always heard its whistle like growl whenever it passed nearby. There was the doctor with some action but the broken rear prop shaft made it to take a pit-stop. On to another end there was Dhanushettan jeep flying over the steep wall where they need to winch up slowly. Somewhere close to the entrance there was Jagat sir doing long jump from the lower ground straight to the finish line which is at 2 feet height, with nothing holding him back.

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1627.jpg
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1637.jpg
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1639.jpg
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1647.jpg
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1665.jpg
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1668.jpg
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1693.jpg
My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1694.jpg

With little more time to spent, we decided to go to the nearby puncture repair shop and get our tire fixed. Took 1 hour to get it all set and the back to the camp. It was again a memorable night having more fun among the Kozhikode and Kannur teams. Had good food and with some more stories from all experienced personals, we signed off.

regards,
winsler
Old 11th August 2016, 23:33   #37
BHPian

With one more day and the last day at BAOTR, we felt we had already faced tough tracks from the previous day and felt there will be nothing more serious than these for the rest of the time there. But it appeared that though the terrain was similar, difficulty level was more as compared to previous day. It was very hard this time. There were occasions where there is no way to turn back, just keep going ahead not by choice, but it was designed such a way, once in you have to make it through and get it completed - One way in, One way out. With very low brake and my jeep turning off every 2 minutes, [didn't know why so as it had never occurred before] we kept pushing over each obstacle and sometimes it felt this would be the last one on which I'll be dead. But with the whole hearted efforts of all marshals and fellow riders we were able to manage ourselves and made it over all obstacles. There were times when Jijo asked me whether we should try those obstacles, as it looked very severe to us which turned out to be so punishing. But with thorough learning from earlier day and details and knowledge from my new found friends we made it a wonderful time for us.

Few more videos.

While few were attempting the trails with some aggressive mode, I [may be I was afraid] did all track in complete peace, literally crawling up all obstacles. Later Robishettan also said the same.

The below long steep climb, Jijo was already up the climb along with every one and there was no one to advice me how to attempt it. I stayed aligned there at the bottom thinking how to tackle it and someone in my mind told me to put 2nd low and with good rev I'll be able to make it up all the way, without getting stuck in the middle which few of the other guys had to face. With a quick thought, started off and

Finally by about 5.30 pm, the event concluded and prices for the winners of RFC India - South, Mr. Jagat Nanjappa sir and his co-driver Chetan were distributed and with short note from the captain of Cougar motors, Mr. Ashish Gupta and Australian Off road expert David Metcalfe it was all wrapped up. We left with Sam chettai [Sam Kurian] and team and had a stay at Cennesy Fortuna, Hosur. We also celebrated birthday of Guhan bhai there. And one the next morning we headed back to Kochi.

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_8081.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_8082.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1737.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1747.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-cybershot-280.jpg

There was loads of awesome memories from this trip. I'm greatfull to each and every one of them to get me keep going and it was good being with all like minded people. Thanks to all.

regards,
winsler

Last edited by winsler_srider : 11th August 2016 at 23:35.
Old 13th August 2016, 23:52   #38
BHPian

Few more pics from the meet.

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_8053.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1560.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1562.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1568.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1574.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_8051.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_8023.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_1721.jpg

regards,
winsler

Last edited by winsler_srider : 13th August 2016 at 23:56.
Old 18th August 2016, 22:36   #39
BHPian

It was a great decision to attend BAO 2016 for me, interacting with lots of jeep minds I was able to gain lots of knowledge, experience and above all many friends. Immediately after that, I got a chance to talk to Dhanushettan and he offered to help me with making my jeep little more off road ready on a budget level. It was so quick, that the people who were required to help me source parts didn't even get proper time to arrange all items or even know for whom they are collecting parts.

February 12th [I guess]. The journey itself was challenging, but truly exciting. I covered 710 km in my jeep, alone from Ernakulam via Kannur-Taliparambu to Sulthan Bathery, Wayanad. It might not be a big thing for most guys but it was something never like before for me. I decided to go on Friday, started around 3 pm from home. That time also there was no wheel spanner, jack or tool kit with me [don't worry it will get more exciting]. Still I went on with complete faith in my jeep. But there happened to be a starting problem with my jeep at that time and it was something that I had little worry about. On the way I called Dude and told him that I'm on this trip to Kannur and like to pay them a visit. He said yes and I went to his place. Before reaching his location, it happened. I was following a bus and we both were travelling in quite a good speed. But suddenly the bus took a left turn to make a stop and me in my jeep was trying to cut right without hitting the bus as I was close. Right at that time, engine shuts down and my jeep was going with just the momentum it had. I looked back no vehicles and like nothing happened I drove the jeep through the opposite track and then to its side. It would seem as if I wanted to park around that side of the road and not like running with just wind power. Tried two three times and got the engine back running and without wasting any second I dashed from there. But that was the easiest escape. So to make it more interesting my jeep stopped in the middle of a junction one more time and I guess I might have made a small traffic block as well. Somehow I got the engine back to life once more and this time I ensured to keep a constant pedal to keep engine running without letting it to die down again. Once I reached Dude's place, I saw a small workshop with backyard to make few trials. These guys have a small garage where they work on their rides. Saw a zen with sun roof mounted, Gypsys and Nainas jeep. Told him about the issue, they said it can be due to low idle speed and made minor adjustments. And Naina even took a test drive in my jeep, said there are all items that comes in stock vehicle. [mine was a stock vehicle and nothing more but they used to work in totally altered rides, making stock look like a rare piece] Had chit-chat with them for some time and then back to the course. Some pics.

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-20160221_140745.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_8142.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_8143.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_8148.jpg

I reached Kannur by around 8:30 pm and Dhanushettan directed me to go get the required parts from Anupettan. Took essential items and then back to meet him.

Parts bought:

1. Maxxis 31" MT tires
2. 15" steel wheel disks
3. Differential guards
4. Snorkel head
5. Dog bone shackle
6. Limb raisers

Once we came to see Dhanushettan and he took a test drive in my vehicle. He said it's a good jeep and has some potential in it. After that I checked into a lodge to get some rest, waiting for the next day to get few more parts and reach Wayanad. Next day, Dhanushettan came in the morning and we baught duct pipe for snorkel set up. He also gave me a 3" muffler to make the exhaust sound beefier as I wanted to, but I gave it back on a later period thinking about the legal implication and the additional cost that would be incurred if I didn't like the sound. And then I left for Bathery. On the way I met Darol Wilson, who's a friend of Dhanushettan [Though I've seen him before I didn't know him till then, but a good helping guy], he was arranging a set of differential gears [crown/pinion] for replacing my current ones. We bought the gear set and then after having some refreshments, we parted and I continued in my journey. By that time it was getting very hot on those parts of border area of kannur - Wayanad and I was sweating like anything. And the un-thinkable happened !

regards,
winsler
Old 21st August 2016, 15:07   #40
BHPian

I was on the way to Wayanad and it was like 42 degrees with humid climate and navigatioin was made possible with the help of my trip guide - Google Maps. May be because of the scorching heat and long distance run, reaching a junction at Peravoor my jeep dies down and [the un-thinkable part] this time its not cranking back to life. Man I'm in the center of that junction and the roads are like just wide enough for only 2 jeeps to pass in parallel. With no luck, I could only try to push my jeep out to a side but that was also not happening as it had heavy load on its back. One shop guys came and helped me to push and start it but that also failed. As every attempt kept on failing, he told that there's a workshop and I can get help from there. Ran to that place and there this Supervisor like guy was there running between the works and I told him the situation and he was like 'So what!'. I'm so worried that if any police vehicle comes by that way and see my jeep almost blocking the road they will tow it and it will be even more painful to get it back on track. And so with few more requests, this guy asks one of his associate to look into my issue. Mechanic came, checked the engine bay, found that the fuel pump is not getting power while starting, fuse had blown out he said. Then he took a wire shorted battery and pump directly and now jsut like that my ride gets back to life. Took it to the near-by electrician, made few fuse replacements and wiring and then finally after more than an hour under steaming sun we made it back to the road once again. Seeing the parts, they were asking was that a parts jeep, I said yes rather than to stay there and clarify that it really was for my ride only. Another crazy thing was when electrician made the fuse replacement for the fuel pump and all somehow he damaged some other fuse and now no turn signals and no cabin light.

All these are the result of getting my jeep to a mechanic who is the most trusted party of Dhanushettan in one of the farthest location from my place. And I didn't even know him. But once I finally made it to this place near Sulthan Bathery and saw that guy, I felt that whatever Dhanushettan told was true. He's a good chap. By around 8:15 pm I reached on his workshop and I was like so badly tired and exhausted that I would have slept then and there on the smallest piece of carpet available. But I couldn't as I did all this to get my jeep to a better performance level and this thought kept me going. I had a list of things to be done on my jeep [quite a big list] and I had it on my phone. Most of it I explained it to the mechanic and he was like a very calm patient guy [actually he's very kind guy and I already liked him] listening to whatever I said with suggestion from his side. Even he gave me a chance to drive one of the jeep which he had installed power steering which was nice, I guess it had Koyo PS set up. Then, only sparing few more minutes I urged to keep the parts that I just bought safely and he said he will be taking it to his home, said no better place than that ! In between the mechanic also asked me whether we had met before which I felt as a compliment for me as we both only had a good little interaction for just 15 mins or so from seeing for the first time. With time passing, he took me in my jeep to the town and helped me to board a bus to Ernakulam [got Kallada A/C semi sleeper]. It was a very looooong day for me, but with the pleasant hope that I'm going to get myself a great ride. Good Night !

regards,
winsler
Old 21st August 2016, 23:01   #41
BHPian

Next few days, some dramatic changes happened. Main thing was I installed "Watsapp" in my mobile. As all the details and images can only be conveniently communicated over this recent tech, I had to get it also added to my daily routine. Then as each day passed, I started getting images of work done at Bathery. Adding differential guards, fitting the high ratio differential crown/pinion gear set, adding shackle lift. Cutting fender was also a part but due to time constraints we couldn't get it done there. Also issue with starting motor and electricals were also sorted out, there had some problem with the bendex rendering difficulty in operating the engine at times, sometimes does not even start at all.

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-img20160228wa0003.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_8548.jpg

It was still nothing more than a stock jeep with minor mods. And then the jeep was taken to Chemperi, Kannur. I also went to Kannur for sharing my ideas on how the jeep should look like. For body works, Darol bhai took the jeep to his trusted mechanic, Someattan. There we were planning on the basic changes that needs to be done to make it look as an off roader. Soft top was the first one to go, as I was still using the army green top that came with the jeep when I bought it. Then my idea was to make the soft top with design of a single cabin style. Dhanushettan asked me whether that would be a problem but I use jeep only for off roading and so it should be apt. Then roll cage was the next item, 4-point set up was in my mind and on later stage it would make way to proper 6-point one. Also we decided to cut the front fenders to let the wheel travel more freely. For doing this, we smoked out brain for quite some time, thought went from not cutting at all, cutting full flat, cutting out the whole front park light area etc. and finally decided to do a cut that will take out the hanging fender part on the sides, then with a piece of ruler like flat sheet metal me and Justin drew the border lines over which the cut should happen. Meanwhile I got the tires changed to the newly bought Maxxis 31" tires and it really looked awesome. Just with MT Tires alone the jeep is transformed by huge margin.

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_8161.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_8160.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_8164.jpg

Also, Raviettan had installed his bolero type brake system with bigger diaphragm and that was a terrific upgrade, now we just need to think about braking and the vehicle just stops to stand still. Super duper braking, even Dhanushettan got astounded by seeing the performance of brake system. With tires put on we took off for a test drive and with a road stretch where there was less crowd, applied brake moderately and it was the dragging sound for a short distance from wheel scrapping the tarmac. Once we returned back to the workshop Dhanushettan told that I gave him a tiny shock testing brakes, but it was working perfectly. That time I remembered the downhills that I drove while in BAOTR, with such a feeble support from brake [had armada grand type small booster system then], pumping lot many times to get 1 hold was a scary memory. With the new set up, I'm confident enough to tackle any terrain from BAOTR trails. After giving the basic details on what all things are to be done I left back to my place.

regards,
winsler
Old 21st August 2016, 23:10   #42
BHPian

It was "watsapp" that made the communications possible with loads of work in progress pics shared, re-visiting the measurements, changing the direction of few items, increasing and decreasing the size of the extension to be made on the rear of the jeep to set up single cabin canopy frame, cutting the fenders, strengthening the fenders with iron rods on the edges, angle and slope of the roll cage being changed and extended, design of soft top and its opening section, material similar to Thar CRDe type, fixing spare tire inside the tub to keep the tail gate more secured/remove rattling and so on.

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-img20160307wa0003.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-img20160307wa0006.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-img20160308wa0002.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-img20160311wa0002.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-img20160311wa0012.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-img20160314wa0005.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-img20160314wa0006.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-img20160314wa0007.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-img20160318wa0007.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-img20160318wa0008.jpg

Then by mid of March, I wen to take my level 0 modified jeep from Kannur and wow, it was looking fabulous !

regards,
winsler
Old 21st August 2016, 23:39   #43
BHPian

Re: My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4 - Upgraded

With few more changes made with the rear leaf set and shock assembly, I got him back and by around 6:30 pm that day, I started from there. On the way I stopped at Robishettan's place, where there was this "beast" [as called by arka / aka the WAR HORSE] resting peacefully [mighty ngcs MM 550 built by Sreejeshettan]. Robishettan was impressed by the overall work and when these two rides were standing so close, it felt like brothers have met once again [mine being the younger one ].

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_8297.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_8295.jpg

With some chit chat, again back to the road. By the way, it never felt so good to drive my jeep like that, with few traffic on road and cool weather and just me alone singing melodies [even my jeep might have felt good to be with those mods]. Me and a KSRTC was playing games as for some time the KSRTC will overtake me and run ahead after which I will overtake him and drive ahead. Had a tea from somewhere near Ponnani after letting the bus on its way.

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_8301.jpg

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_8299.jpg

By 6:30 am I reached home and my parents were like WHAT !!

My 2002 Mahindra MM550 2.5L 4X4-dsc_7073_1.jpg

regards,
winsler
Old 21st August 2016, 23:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

Winsler, you have a knack for describing things in the most uncomplicated way. It is a refreshing read of your journey to find a jeep and then the journey with it. Please do keep writing!
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 12:42   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Winsler, you have a knack for describing things in the most uncomplicated way....
I couldn't agree more. It was a delight to read through your account. I could see the stock jeep on its path to becoming a full blown off-roader. Nice little details, joy, sorry, leaches... made it a treat to read.
Spinnerr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks