Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2016, 13:59   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Future-proofing my beloved Gypsy: Should I start stocking parts?

I suppose I could change headlights, but I don't see much to gain by doing that now. Besides, the Hella lights look cool even in daylight!
Old 18th July 2016, 17:01   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Thanks a ton for the encouragement, guys! I am definitely planning to hang on and see how this pans out.
Maybe a bit OT, so please excuse:
I had a Gypsy for 15 years, many years ago - and at that time (late eighties) although there weren't too many choices of cars, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the Gypsy and was quite sad to let it go.

Buying a Gypsy today, IMHO, is an emotional decision, and if you are not getting the blue color, rather than cancelling the order, you might want to consider investing in getting it painted at a good workshop?
AutoSphere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:32   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post

I am planning to do the same. Can you please share some details around the fitment viz. location of head unit as well as speakers?
I have fitted the Pioneer single din in dash CD receiver in the space provided for it which is the rectangular plastic console below the main dashboard. A two channel pioneer amplifier (optional) below the driver’s seat & two 6”X9” Kicker coaxial speakers in two 12”X7”X7” (LXBXH) boxes are affixed behind driver’s & passenger seat each. The boxes were not screwed to the floor as I did not want to get the holes in the body so the installer used some kind of industrial glue to fix them, they’re holding well so far. I also made sure that the boxes do not hinder functionality of rear seats though the rear seats may never be used. I have only used two speakers & they seem to be more than enough. As you know default position for the front speakers in Gypsy is in the foot well which I think is most ill-conceived speaker position that I have ever seen on a vehicle. I’m into Diana Krall, Pink Floyd, Doors, Eagles, Dire Straits & Jagjit Singh & my system is doing full justice to these revered musicians.

As you are buying a soft top you may want to install the head unit in the glove box (heat dissipation may pose a problem though) in order to keep it secure. Folks who own soft tops may want to shed some light on this.

In regards to the colour I don’t have very encouraging news for you. I’m being told that only White & Green colours are available currently (Green might entail a little wait time though). Blue colour is usually produced when they receive orders from Air Force (I think he meant light blue colour & not Dolphin Blue). Sorry brother couldn’t be of much help to you. At this point it’s your call how do you want to proceed. Be happy in whatever you decide, that’s all I can say. My best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
Yes I did mean 1,00,000 Kms. Though in all eventuality with a bit of careful driving you can make it last twice this mileage and maybe even more.

I am not denying the 'preceived/actual' quality difference between 'proper' spares and what we get here in India. Spares you mention will be made to tighter tolerances and subject to better quality control. Nevertheless, the Gypsy has been running in the subcontinent on MGP spares for decades now. Its been tested, abused and has redeemed itself in much less than ideal conditions. Bad drivers, rough terrain, poor technical knowhow (think army and MT workshop maintenance). Why would it give up when ran on a less demanding terrain by a better driver who cares about his vehicle and understands the nature of the beast?

Everyone who has owned the original MG410 will remember the never-ending debates we have had over perceived quality of Suzuki Genuine Parts (SGP) vs Maruti Genuine Parts (MGP) when Maruti made a shift to parts made in India. We hoarded SGP parts at that time only to realise that while MGP were not the best, they were cheap and got the job done. Yes they may not have been the same perceived quality but in real world scenario the differences were negligible. Over time we might still lust for SGP spares but MGP has got the job done.

@Sawyer is right when he says that I love the lights you have, but do I really 'need' them in a Himalayan scenario. 'No'. Normal Dhabhar Behram lights with good old yellow 2700k 100/90 bulbs are more then sufficient for trudging at 60 mph on a mountain road. If there is fog or rain, I slow down

On Bilestein shocks. What advantages do you perceive this will give your vehicle? You are still running on 1970s cast iron leaf spring suspension. The dampening as I understand it will not make a remarkable difference in ride quality. The monotube is theoretically technologically superior but will it make a difference in a real world scenario. I am sceptical. I am not trying to dissuade you from 'wanting' or buying all the gear that you might enjoy. Nevertheless, whether you will actually 'need' it in the Indian Himalayas is debatable.

There is nothing wrong with a “sarkari” Gypsy image. I am not an off roader and I perceive neither are you. The plain jane Gypsy does bad road with aplomb. My 'sarkari' Gypsy gets priority at almost every Police / Toll / BRO / Army checkpost / roadblock without making an effort. I am not complaining.

Attachment 1529090
In Spiti. No mods, not even a carb adjustment.

P.S. interesting Bilestein factoid: Mercedes became the first auto manufacturer to install mono-tube shocks as standard equipment on some of their cars starting in 1958, manufactured by Bilstein. Because the design was patented, no other manufacturer could use it until 1971 when the patent expired.
You make a pretty compelling argument & have talked me out of buying the clutch plate. As for the lights, I want to embellish my Gypsy a little bit.

As far as suspension is concerned, a small correction; the leaf springs are made of spring steel with very high yield strength & not cast iron (these wouldn’t last a week). All the pick up truck have the same set up; leaf springs & shock absorbers all around and as per the guys who have replaced the original shocks with Bilsteins there is huge difference in the ride quality post replacement.

If I go ahead with this project then I’ll write a piece about it & confirm if it has indeed improved the overall ride quality, anyways the project is planned for 2017/2018 so we shall see. I did not consider the fiberglass leafs as I’m unsure about their longevity so the steel leafs are staying put.

Some of the stuff I have procures so far includes an air compressor, a multi meter, two sets of auxiliary lights, closed wheel lug nuts, lock nuts, fuse, relays, wipers, oil & air filter. Time to stop in view of all of you guys’ advice. There are two more cars in the house (a Honda City & a Wagon R so fuse, relays can be useful for any of these), multi meter is a handy gadget to have in the house/garage.

I’m still waiting for your Spiti travelogue my friend..
Attached Thumbnails
Future-proofing my beloved Gypsy: Should I start stocking parts?-img_0795.jpg  

Future-proofing my beloved Gypsy: Should I start stocking parts?-img_0700.jpg  

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 22nd July 2016 at 10:42.
Old 25th July 2016, 11:20   #49
BHPian

Good news for Gypsy enthusiasts. Looks like the next generation Jimny is to be made in Gujarat sometime 2017.

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/exclusive-...-india-1434694

Only thing not clear is whether it will still be a longitudinal engine with primary rear-wheel drive or a transverse/front-wheel drive - since it is mentioned in the article that "The new, 4th generation, Jimny will share its platform with the Baleno/Ignis"

Anyways, it's launch will be eagerly awaited !
AutoSphere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 17:19   #50
BHPian

Vikram did you manage to install the Bilestein struts yet? I hope you did for your Barot odyssey. If so what is your real world opinion now?

Last edited by antihero : 30th October 2018 at 17:20. Reason: Grammar
Old 30th October 2018, 18:56   #51
BHPian

I have not installed any aftermarket suspension components yet. Very low mileage so far (4,700 kms in last three years) was of one the main reasons.

One of the forum members (Turbanator) told me that Old Man Emu set up has resulted in a very compliant ride for his Gypsy. It is just that the steep cost (Rs. 80,000) of the kit is a deterrent.

For the Barot trip, I aired down to 17psi all around to make the ride a bit better. However, a better suspension set up will definitely make those off the beaten track kind of trips far more comfortable especially in our hill states where most of the time the tarmac is less than ideal.
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 19:49   #52
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post

As you are buying a soft top you may want to install the head unit in the glove box (heat dissipation may pose a problem though) in order to keep it secure. Folks who own soft tops may want to shed some light on this.

I would never place the music system in the glove box for the very simple reason that the bonnet release lever is located in there.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that in a Gypsy the music really comes from its engine - hence I would live sans a music system itself..

Last edited by SDP : 4th August 2019 at 21:29. Reason: Fixing broken quote
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks