Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2017, 23:00   #46
BHPian

Re: Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiranPatil View Post
...Regarding the mods, Go for a aftermarket AC and Carbon fibre leaf spring suspension (I have Dr.Nano) installed on rear side only. It will make your ride a lot more comfortable...
Well, AC I did install in April. It comprises of a Maruti Esteem Compressor, Maruti Ecco Condenser, Maruti Ecco Cooling Coil, Stock Blower & a Custom Built Radiator.

Vitamin M deficiency has led me to putting most of my future mods on hold & Suspension mod is one of them, as it is not on my utmost priority list.

Right now am in 2 minds weather to go in for :

Winch Type Bumper with Fog Lamps

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-41771.4491069213_gypsy7.jpg

Crash Guard with Fog Lamps

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-2012-auto-expo-gypsy.jpg

Suggestions Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiranPatil View Post
... P.S. Source of the detailed features sticker please, I want it for my Gypsy.
If you are talking about the below sticker, the source is yours truly.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-img_20170328_121013.jpg

Designed it myself & got it printed locally. PM me your Email ID & will mail the file to you.
SwapnilNalavade is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2017, 13:54   #47
BHPian

Just read the entire thread.
Congratulations on acquiring the evergreen 4x4 beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwapnilNalavade View Post
Right now am in 2 minds weather to go in for :
If I were in your shoes I would go with the first one.
Old 2nd January 2018, 04:20   #48
BHPian

Re: Got Gypsy’ied - 5000 Kms Done

Firstly, Wishing Everyone a Very Happy New Year !!!

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-26195324_10159761408490524_9073425740616619803_n.jpg

Finally after close to 10 Months the Gypsy crosses the 5,000 Km mark.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-4.jpg

By far this is the maximum time any of my vehicles have taken to cross the 5K reading on the reading, this is despite the fact that I drive close to 3000 Kms in a month of which the Gypsy is barely used for 300 Kms in a month as it is meant for Office commute only. The only outstation trip I have done so far except for the Piucha Waterfall – Jawahar Palace trip mentioned earlier is when I went for the Trail Survivor Course at the Mahindra Off Road Academy in Igatpuri.

Browsing through my old phone I found pictures of when I first saw my Gypsy sans the Rims – Tyres along with Odometer reading at the time of the delivery.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-1-2.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-2-2.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-3.jpg

The Gypsy was delivered with 59 Kms on the Odometer and below mentioned are the Fuel Economy Figures along with the Odometer Error due to larger tyres. Over the Months I have captured every single Fuel entry for the Gypsy along with Date, Time, Litres Filled and Odometer Reading.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-odometer-error.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-fuel-economy.jpg

Overall the Gypsy has returned 12 Kmpl in mostly City usage and am quite satisfied with that, given the number of Kms the Vehicle clocks per Month.

Today also happens to ironically be the Booking Anniversary of my Gypsy. In the past 5000 Kms the Gypsy has never had a single hiccup. Yes, the Suspension is really bad, but the Ownership till now has been quite uneventful.

Was reading through another Gypsy Ownership Thread on this forum & completely agree with Dr.Anto, that we are lucky to have bought the Gypsy quite early in our Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANTO View Post
Four wheel drive dilemma

" If you want to buy a 4WD vehicle, please do it while you are healthy and young. We can afford it now.I don't want you to look back after a few years and regret about not buying the Gypsy when you had the chance. Just go ahead and buy it now"
I simply can’t imagine using a Gypsy in Late 50’s/Early 60’s when many of us due to the Lifestyle we lead would be suffering from Spondylitis/Arthritis & jumping a Speed Breaker/Driving over a Pothole would send shivers down our spine.

In the coming weeks am planning to do a Tyre Rotation + Wheel Alignment check. Also need to desperately get the Fibre Coating done before Monsoon sets in.
SwapnilNalavade is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 06:06   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Poor Gypsy

You have to do something to click more distance than that on odo. Go to Rann and see it in it's element.

Exiting times to you
sudev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 15:30   #50

Hi Swapnil,

The Gypsy look great!
I am getting one in a month (fingers crossed). I want to know, if I were to swap the tires for Geolandars at the showroom itself, would I get a price for the brand new stock tires?

Cheers,
Ash
Old 10th January 2018, 20:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwitz View Post
I am getting one in a month (fingers crossed). I want to know, if I were to swap the tires for Geolandars at the showroom itself, would I get a price for the brand new stock tires?
Congratulations on your purchase! I doubt if the dealer will swap the tyres for you - have you checked with them? In fact, the OE tyres on the Gypsy are tube-radials and you will hardly find any takers. Consider yourself lucky if you get 3K per tyre.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 23:08   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwitz View Post

Cheers,
Ash
Firstly Congratulations Ashwitz on buying a New Gypsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Congratulations on your purchase! I doubt if the dealer will swap the tyres for you - have you checked with them? In fact, the OE tyres on the Gypsy are tube-radials and you will hardly find any takers. Consider yourself lucky if you get 3K per tyre.
As Cool Dube mentioned earlier it is highly unlikely you will find takers for the Stock Cross Ply Tyres. I feel you should check with your Dealership if they are ready to exchange them for New Geolanders or you may try at local Tyre Shops, but I doubt you would get Rs.3000/- per piece for just the Tyre. You could try selling them on Olx or Team-Bhp Classifieds later but you may land up getting stuck with them if you don't find any takers.
SwapnilNalavade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 23:55   #53
BHPian

This is a car to drool over. Even though it's more than three decades old, it looks fresh as ever. I just can't stop myself from looking back when I overtake a Gypsy and keep on staring at it in my IRVM & ORVM till it is lost. I also saw a few brand new (2017 registered) Army and Air Force Gypsy recently on my way to office and they just looked gorgeous.

Congratulations to all for having this prized possession. I don't own one due to practical reasons of the vehicle not having power steering and AC, but I am a diehard fan of this vehicle.
jbpanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 14:00   #54
BHPian

Mod note: Please avoid quoting entire large post for a short reply. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwapnilNalavade View Post
Well, AC I did install in April. It comprises of a Maruti Esteem Compressor, Maruti Ecco Condenser, Maruti Ecco Cooling Coil, Stock Blower & a Custom Built Radiator.
Where did you install the AC from? And where did you buy the radiator from?

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th June 2018 at 14:53.
Old 2nd October 2018, 21:57   #55
BHPian

Apologies for the long silence, work commitments have kept me fairly busy. In the near past I joined a Facebook Group called Classic Maruti Enthusiasts - India (800, Omni, 1000, Zen, Esteem, Gypsy).

Was finally able to attend today's meet. The Meeting point was Horniman Circle, Fort (9 AM) & the Drive thereafter to Bandra Worli Sea Link. The Meet was attended by quite a few nicely maintained SS80's & SB308's along with Esteem's, Zen's, a Zen Carbon & a Gypsy King other than mine.

Below are the pics that i managed to click, will share more Pics & Videos as & when received.

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-cme1.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-cme2.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-cme3.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-cme4.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-cme5.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-cme6.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-cme7.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-cme8.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-cme9.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-cme10.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-cme11.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-cme12.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-cme13.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-cme14.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-cme15.jpg

Got Gypsy’ied - My brand new Maruti Gypsy 4x4-cme16.jpg
SwapnilNalavade is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 21:41   #56
BHPian

Hi Swapnil,

I read your thread as I was contemplating whether to invest in a Gypsy or not? I have an XUV close to 4 years old. With the ban on diesel vehicles older than 10 years, I was thinking if I should keep the XUV until it is 8-9 years old and for my local commutes I buy a Gypsy. I plan to get an AC retro-fitted and seat configuration changed to 2+2 from facing. My local commutes won't be too much - say 600 kms in a month at the maximum. What would be your views on the same?

Regards,

Nishant
Old 21st December 2018, 10:40   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-riedAway View Post
...and for my local commutes I buy a Gypsy. I plan to get an AC retro-fitted and seat configuration changed to 2+2 from facing. My local commutes won't be too much - say 600 kms in a month at the maximum
I will take the liberty of responding to your query, having owned a Jeep for 8 years in the past, and now a Gypsy for 3+ years.

The Gypsy is a very different animal and not everyone's cup of tea, especially if one is not used to vehicles of this genre (bare bones, utilitarian, ancient, etc. etc. but LOADS OF FUN). The fact that you are planning to use it for daily commute further accentuates the point above. While mods like a/c and power steering will make it slightly easier to live with, investing in a new Gypsy warrants good amount of thought before you plonk those 8 big ones. Please do try and drive one (if not already done so) for a few days before taking the plunge. Another option could be to buy a good used one, which might be quite hard to find BTW

Hope this helps.

Last edited by cool_dube : 21st December 2018 at 10:53.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 11:58   #58

@SwapnilNalavade - I own Gypsy King 1.3 MPFI (Mfg. Nov 2018) and i am planning to switch from stock MRF tyres to tubeless A/T tyres. I am fine with stock steel rims. Hence please let me know whether Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S P215/75 R15 fits stock gypsy steel rims.
Old 5th March 2019, 12:28   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr GB View Post
@SwapnilNalavade - I own Gypsy King 1.3 MPFI (Mfg. Nov 2018) and i am planning to switch from stock MRF tyres to tubeless A/T tyres. I am fine with stock steel rims. Hence please let me know whether Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S P215/75 R15 fits stock gypsy steel rims.
Hi, I m using the same spec on my 2015 Gypsy. The tire shoulders tend to rub the front bumper first. As i purchased an offroad front bumper i changed it asap and now no more rubbing.
Now my gypsy baby completed 40k km in yoko shoes and its absolutely an amazing upsize from the stock.
Old 5th March 2019, 14:02   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe angelo View Post
Hi, I m using the same spec on my 2015 Gypsy. The tire shoulders tend to rub the front bumper first. As i purchased an offroad front bumper i changed it asap and now no more rubbing.
Now my gypsy baby completed 40k km in yoko shoes and its absolutely an amazing upsize from the stock.
Thanks Joe angelo. Can you please confirm whether it stuck to stock steel rims as well? i am not looking at changing it but only tyres. I like the steel rims.

Also, if i understand your comments, it might rub the stock front bumber. So i need to change it if i upsize to this spec.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks