Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2020, 17:46   #106

Re: Offroading with the Jeep Compass Trailhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto_Song View Post
@Arjun , Would like to have a discussion with you on TH and ZF transmission.
Requesting this after reading / knowing that you are JC TH owner.

Planning to own one and need to clear few points and there is nobody better than a true owner. (Thanks)
Thanks !

Would like to know, How does TH performs (ZF behaves) on ghat sections ? Where being on the right gears (mostly 2nd) ) is the key to make clean passes with Interstate buses , trucks , trailers etc.

Anytime tried with the stick (Manual) mode ? Would it solve or mask the Kick down problem? If Yes , to what extend?

I need to do a TD to really experience the highway mannerisms , especially how it accommodates a busy driver. (Which has already been mentioned by you)

Last edited by Auto_Song : 29th May 2020 at 17:50.
Old 30th May 2020, 09:18   #107
Senior - BHPian

Offroading with the Jeep Compass Trailhawk

Quote:
@Arjun , Would like to have a discussion with you on TH and ZF transmission.
Requesting this after reading / knowing that you are JC TH owner.

Planning to own one and need to clear few points and there is nobody better than a true owner. (Thanks)
Call me anytime. I will PM my mobile number.
Edit: cannot PM as you are a newbie. Will try the email route.

Quote:
Thanks !

Would like to know, How does TH performs (ZF behaves) on ghat sections ? Where being on the right gears (mostly 2nd) ) is the key to make clean passes with Interstate buses , trucks , trailers etc.

Anytime tried with the stick (Manual) mode ? Would it solve or mask the Kick down problem? If Yes , to what extend?

I need to do a TD to really experience the highway mannerisms , especially how it accommodates a busy driver. (Which has already been mentioned by you)

My Trailhawk is now 10 months and 12.5 k on the odo.

The gearbox seems to be getting better as it clocks the kilometres. Even the engine seems more refined now.

There seems to be marked improvement in down shifts and I am actually enjoying it a lot more now. There is ample punch in the midrange and overtaking on the highways is not an issue. Did a pre lockdown Bangalore - Chennai run at good speeds. I am yet to fill BS VI fuel as Shell in Bangalore still does not have supply. Hoping the performance will see a marked improvement.

As far as ghat sections go there are no issues that I noticed and not much planning is required for an overtake.

The Trailhawk is at its best when you do not push it around.

Excellent for the highways and bad roads.

Feels more car like to drive rather than an SUV.

Light steering for the city and small footprint helps in traffic. The steering weighs up nicely at highway speeds.

The entire SUV feels tight and well built. Very stable at high speeds. Contained body roll and a plaint ride.

Just superb on bad roads. I have had a little fun descending into dry lake beds and mild off-roading when ever possible. Delays you on the trips but that is the point.

Lastly it just looks superb from any angle.

Mileage is a downer. It returns around 8 in the city and 12 on the highways. My W205 C250d trumps it both in city(10-11)and highway (14-15).

My buy was to balance my garage with a comfortable, daily beater car that can also serve to go out on family trips to destinations that I cannot drive the Merc to. I also retain my cars for around 8-10 years and build quality is very important for me.

If you are expecting outright performance you will be disappointed. The Tucson will score better. The Harrier with the same engine and the Tucson gearbox may perform better also albeit it would not hold a candle to the other Compass characteristics like ride and handling.

Trailhawk is expensive but works if you can claim depreciation like in my case. You could also test drive the Compass Limited plus auto,it will be a good 3.5 lakhs cheaper on road Bangalore.

PS: I do not like using the manual mode in automatics unless it comes with paddles.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 30th May 2020 at 09:25.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 00:40   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
If you are expecting outright performance you will be disappointed. The Tucson will score better. The Harrier with the same engine and the Tucson gearbox may perform better also albeit it would not hold a candle to the other Compass characteristics like ride and handling.

You could also test drive the Compass Limited plus auto..
Thanks a lot for the feedback (It takes me closer)

Yes, Idea is to have SUV a which has small footprint + a fitting badge of 'Go any where' claim ! (straight to Leh - to be lil more precise)

Back on Compass Auto, the moment someone see a Trailhawk & knows about its capabilities & learns how different it is from the regular compass , I dont think you need to think twice. (It looks HOT, IRRESISTIBLE)!

On the other hand, Yes, Tuscon is definitely next in my list which almost comes close to What I am looking for , But then, Now I know what Trailhawk is capable of (Of-course , Tucson scores out Trailhawk in feature list(loaded)) (Dont want to discuss about the 185/400 combo combined with their HTRAC AWD system here)! But Would it fulfill my GO ANYWHERE dream ?Well, I am still contemplating because of its GC (It is still a soft-roader) but then it becomes a tussle between Your Head and Heart , Where ma heart is with Trailhawk, which is close fit to Jeep's DNA. (Please email me on vs.syam@gmail.com)- Hope it is OK here.

Then comes All new Tata Harrier Auto - Let me summarize it in one sentence, Had Tata been listening to themselves, enthusiasts (like us) or to their fans (at least), I dont think they would have forgotten to add at-least their own 4X4 system!! ! What else could have stopped them?, Some agreements with LR team? Or Poor tractions for AWD in India? (I have NO idea). Anyways, I dont think We would have needed a lot of debate to choose a AWD Harrier as your tourer if it was the case!! (Auto top end is priced at ~26.35L OTR,Bangalore at the moment and add another 2L to it,could have been decent buy) Btw, those changes (steering / brakes etc ) What they have brought into the 2020 version looks in the +ve direction (I took a quick TD)!

Last edited by Samurai : 31st May 2020 at 13:00. Reason: Don't say TH instead of Trailhawk, it is confusing.
Old 31st August 2020, 00:49   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post

The gearbox seems to be getting better as it clocks the kilometres. Even the engine seems more refined now.

There seems to be marked improvement in down shifts and I am actually enjoying it a lot more now. There is ample punch in the midrange and overtaking on the highways is not an issue. Did a pre lockdown Bangalore - Chennai run at good speeds. I am yet to fill BS VI fuel as Shell in Bangalore still does not have supply. Hoping the performance will see a marked improvement.

As far as ghat sections go there are no issues that I noticed and not much planning is required for an overtake.

Trailhawk is expensive but works if you can claim depreciation like in my case. You could also test drive the Compass Limited plus auto,it will be a good 3.5 lakhs cheaper on road Bangalore.
Is if ok to buy a brand new Trailhawk NOW which is August 2019 make even if it’s available at a hefty 3.5 L discount in Bangalore. Is it a problem that the car has been rolled out 1 year back and since then did not get sold and still sitting in the manufacturing plant (not sent to any dealership) ? Does that impact the quality and performance of the car just like a depreciated vehicle which is not used for a year.
Also please let me know if overtake on highway ( especially the maneuvering in huge queue of trucks) is a problem or not in spite of a lag in downshift.
Old 31st August 2020, 08:46   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownianmotion View Post
Is if ok to buy a brand new Trailhawk NOW which is August 2019 make even if it’s available at a hefty 3.5 L discount in Bangalore. Is it a problem that the car has been rolled out 1 year back and since then did not get sold and still sitting in the manufacturing plant (not sent to any dealership) ? Does that impact the quality and performance of the car just like a depreciated vehicle which is not used for a year.

Also please let me know if overtake on highway ( especially the maneuvering in huge queue of trucks) is a problem or not in spite of a lag in downshift.

I guess there should not be an issue buying the one year old car. Just check tyres and rubber parts. Mine is an August 2019.

At a 3.5 lakh discount it is a compelling buy.

There is absolutely no issues with highway overtakes. In fact it is quite powerful and you will love the stability at high speeds. The Trailhawk just revs when it drops to 2nd and 3rd gears but once it upshifts to 4th you are quickly on your way and the acceleration is really brisk and the upshifts are smooth and brisk as well.
Since 2 & 3 are short gears you kind of get used to it. On the highway you seldom hit these gears. In city traffic you don't notice them much as we seldom accelerate with a heavy foot.

The 17 inch heavy duty wheels are better suited for India than the 18 inch spec on the limited plus. It just makes the ride that much better.

It's a great lifestyle product. Go for it.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 01:01   #111
BHPian

Quote:
The 4x4 system of the Trailhawk is exactly the same as the Limited 4x4, but with an additional mode called Rock. The Rock mode operates in the new 4WD Low setting since it requires the maximum crawl ratio available. If the driver switches to Tiptronic shifting in 4WD mode, he/she can move between the 1st and 2nd gears only:
Though this review has been there for quite sometime , it’s such a nice review that I refer to it whenever I need to get any answer. Does the rock mode always mean that more torque would be sent to rear wheel . If I need to come down on a slippery road with frequent hair pins, then I suspect it is better not to use hill descent control . To limit speed best option is to use rock mode as it will provide best traction. However, if torque goes to rear wheels while coming down then it’s a problem . Can it be then solved by either engaging 4L in Auto or 4L snow with manual shift to 1st gear ?
Old 22nd September 2020, 14:14   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownianmotion View Post
Does the rock mode always mean that more torque would be sent to rear wheel . If I need to come down on a slippery road with frequent hair pins, then I suspect it is better not to use hill descent control .

To limit speed best option is to use rock mode as it will provide best traction. However, if torque goes to rear wheels while coming down then it’s a problem . Can it be then solved by either engaging 4L in Auto or 4L snow with manual shift to 1st gear ?
Your very good questions point to one thing. It is best to know what the h*ll your vehicle is going to do BEFORE you get into a tight spot. My guess is, and it's only a guess, that a human will out perform the automatic hill descent by engaging 4L staying in a low transmission gear, and keeping a foot on the brake. I'd bet two rupees, and someone else's Trailhawk, that is the case.

A control for sand? What kind of sand? That very fine sand that is almost like talc? Black coarse volcanic sand? The medium fine quartz sand of the Canadian Shield? The red sticky clay sands of the Australian Outback? If I drive one of these I am going to bypass all that computer Krappola and see what this puppy will do with just my input. I think the people who designed the new computer controls for the Boeing 737 are wishing they could jetison all computer chips and sensors and start over.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 15:51   #113
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Traihawk Over Rated

Watch this video to know reality of its off reading capabilities. A big letdown for those dreaming of it being a proper off-road vehicle.

Am not trying to berate it but was surprised at the difference between claim and real performance. So thought members here should know.
MADMAX111 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 19:01   #114
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
Traihawk Over Rated

https://Youtu.be/z2BfKgvMnJ0

Watch this video to know reality of its off reading capabilities. A big letdown for those dreaming of it being a proper off-road vehicle.

Am not trying to berate it but was surprised at the difference between claim and real performance. So thought members here should know.

a) This is the wrong thread to discuss the TrailHawk
b) The TrailHawk has a separate thread HERE (Offroading with the Jeep Compass Trailhawk)
c) This video has already been discussed at length in the above thread
d) The video that is mentioned and referenced is of Anshuman, who happens to be a former Team-BHP moderator who's username was .anshuman
e) Everyone agrees that the Trailhawk has exceeded expectations that were there from it, as, at the end of the day, it is a monocoque crossover. And if you, or anyone for that matter expects a monocoque to keep up with a ladder on frame SUV, they are living in a fool's paradise. No matter what the Jeep commercials make you want to believe.

Oh, and the TrailHawk was meant to do things like this video below, not the things like the video above. Ofcourse, a Ladder on frame would be even better in the below scenario, but the trailhawk will eat them on the Manali-Delhi highway run. Ideally comes down to how much you want to sacrifice off-road ability for on-road superiority.

turbo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 13:34   #115
BHPian

Ok. sorry didn’t realise it was a duplicate post.

Point taken about Trailhawk.
Old 25th December 2020, 12:00   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep Compass Trailhawk positioned on a steep ramp outside a dealership to showcase approach and departure angles.

Offroading with the Jeep Compass Trailhawk-4d603b62e9c1435b87f28644699f8f4a.jpeg

Offroading with the Jeep Compass Trailhawk-3e29e663272e4c3e92744c8c93629c56.jpeg

Offroading with the Jeep Compass Trailhawk-d177f7260c7d40c4a5e3d5f9c4b2e572.jpeg

Offroading with the Jeep Compass Trailhawk-15c53b7b5e6744039a247e9044a960c2.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 12:45   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Traihawk Over Rated

You can't compare low range vehicles with an AWD vehicle.
Old 30th December 2020, 15:11   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Traihawk Over Rated

https://Youtu.be/z2BfKgvMnJ0

What they are doing in the video is hardly off roading. It's basically bashing cars. How many of us would do that kind of activity unless you are actually competing in some special event. In that case you would have properly equipped and suitably modified vehicles. I have never seen somebody take a stock fortuner or endeavor over such obstacles.

I have been in the Raid De Himalaya three times and never have I felt the need to even engage 4x4, let alone using the low range. The Jeep would have done the entire circuit as comfortably too. The participants ofcourse run properly modified Gypsy's and rightly so. I have also never seen a Fortuner or Pajero or even an Endevaour actually participate in the rally. These videos serve no purpose in real life.

I onwed a Pajero SFX for almost 10 years and used the 4x4 mode only a few times, more to actually keep it well oiled rather than having the need to use it, even on the full Raid De Himalaya circuit, and no it wasn't because it was a Pajero but because Off-road trails are not silly humps that you try to cross, they are trails and righly so they are jeepable roads. Heck , we even have 4x2 vehicles in the offical convoy doing the same circuit. Most natives of these places will do these trails even in a M800.

Having said that, every vehicle has its capability matrix and although the proper big SUV's with 4x4 and low range do have better capability then the Jeep, the Jeep holds on to what it's capable of doing quite well. The 4x4 on the Jeep is quite capable and can hold on to its own.

Unless you are a off-road enthusiast wanting to do these kind of activities there is no reason to compare these with Jeep Compass and other such vehicles.
Traveler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 22:34   #119
Senior - BHPian

2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk facelift launched in Europe.

Quote:
The updated Compass is Jeep's first European model to come equipped with Level 2 autonomous functions

Updates include 4xe plug-in hybrid with a claimed 26-mile electric range
Official pictures of Trailhawk facelift

Offroading with the Jeep Compass Trailhawk-jeepcompass2021323.jpg

Offroading with the Jeep Compass Trailhawk-jeepcompass2021321.jpg

Offroading with the Jeep Compass Trailhawk-jeepcompass2021314.jpg

Offroading with the Jeep Compass Trailhawk-jeepcompass2021330.jpg

Offroading with the Jeep Compass Trailhawk-jeepcompass2021310.jpg

Offroading with the Jeep Compass Trailhawk-2021jeepcompasseurope9.jpg

Offroading with the Jeep Compass Trailhawk-2021jeepcompasseurope6.jpg

Offroading with the Jeep Compass Trailhawk-2021jeepcompasseurope20.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 6th April 2021 at 22:36.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 16:02   #120
Senior - BHPian

2021 Jeep Compass Trailhawk spied by Bhpian Bunny Punia

Offroading with the Jeep Compass Trailhawk-20210903_160157.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 3rd September 2021 at 16:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks