Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2023, 21:02   #1
BHPian

Indian Army adds Toyota Hilux to its fleet

The Hilux cleared two months of rigorous evaluation by the Indian Army and gets added to the Olive Green Fleet

Toyota Kirloskar Motor has delivered the first batch of the Hilux pick-up truck to the Indian Army. The Hilux was put through two months of rigorous evaluation by the Northern Command of the Indian Army’s Technical Evaluation Committee to be inducted into the fleet. It was tested in rough terrain and extreme weather – ranging from an altitude of 13,000ft to sub-zero temperatures.
  • This is Toyota’s first-ever order from the Indian Army
  • Hilux is powered by a 2.8-litre turbo-diesel engine
  • Joins other SUVs in the Army’s fleet such as the Scorpio, Safari Storme

Indian Army adds Toyota Hilux to its fleet-img20230719wa0064.jpg
aviator1101 is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 21:31   #2
BHPian

Re: Indian Army adds Toyota Hilux to its fleet

This is probably one of the best marketing ad campaign for Toyota in India.
Any vehicle approved for use by Indian Army is robust enough for anything an average road user can throw at it.
Not to mention, for cheapskates like myself, the countdown for Army surplus Hiluxes to be auctioned off begins (Though to be sure, it will happen 10 years from now at best)
kosjam is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 21:53   #3
BHPian

Why am I not surprised?

Army needs to get rid of those alloy wheels though and get these trucks shod with the steelies.

After successful deployment by rebel/govt forces in Nicaragua, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Liberia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Lebanon, Yemen, Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria where there's hardly any semblance of a paved road, it was about time that Indian Army got a taste of one of the toughest pick-up trucks on the planet.

According to Andrew Exum, a former Army Ranger and a fellow of the Center for a New American Security. "It's the vehicular equivalent of the AK-47. It's ubiquitous to insurgent warfare and also counterinsurgent warfare. It kicks the hell out of the Humvee." I'm sure the truck can and will be as effective in other similar scenarios.
Vikram Arya is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 22:02   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post

After successful deployment by rebel/govt forces in Nicaragua, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Liberia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Lebanon, Yemen, Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria where there's hardly any semblance of a paved road, "It's the vehicular equivalent of the AK-47.
Yes the indestructible Toyota Hilux makes good sense for the Indian Army for sure. However, the pricing will have to be made comfortable.
Here is a superb satirical spoof on the sheer efficacy of the Toyota. Your post provided me with an apt opening for this
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Army adds Toyota Hilux to its fleet-8ee5e70a27ba40ca9de91ee816e7670b.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 22:38   #5
BHPian

Shameful that Indian brands couldn't reverse-engineer the Hilux truck inspite of all the market advantages that the Govt has afforded them (Ex. blocking GVM from entering India & MG from bringing in more capital) causing car prices to grow sky high. Mahindra & Tata are both busy in promoting themselves based on gender-equality narratives, while Toyota will simply create, manufacture & sell a well designed & well made product.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 19th July 2023 at 22:40.
WorkingGuru is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 22:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
The Hilux cleared two months of rigorous evaluation by the Indian Army and...
..and I won't be surprised if I found the brave army drivers who were assigned with this mission of rigorous evaluation (read breaking the Hilux) are undergoing rigorous Ayurvedic treatment somewhere in Kerala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
However, the pricing will have to be made comfortable.
I now think this is perhaps the prime reason Toyota has decided to bring the Hilux to India. They might have received feelers that our Army is looking for such a pickup. And everyone thought they're competing with Isuzu.

Ref pricing, big orders mean proactive pricing. It would be strange if it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Shameful that Indian brands couldn't reverse-engineer the Hilux truck
You might be able to reverse-engineer the B2 stealth bomber or the McIntosh reference amplifier. But Hilux? I'd skip the invite.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 19th July 2023 at 23:03.
sandeepmdas is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 23:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes the indestructible Toyota Hilux makes good sense for the Indian Army for sure. However, the pricing will have to be made comfortable.
Exactly my thoughts too.

But reading of the discounts received by some of our very own individual TBHP buyers (denied by the company of course ), a fleet order by the esteemed forces would have been instrumental in bringing the prices within the desired range.
Fx14 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 00:37   #8
Team-BHP Support

It will be a special built/ order, some luxury features will be omitted, and some requirements of the Army will be added, like those unique lights in the rear and front to stay under camouflage.

No GST, nor any Road tax or insurance to worry about. This will be less than 10 Lac. Best use of the money given the requirements and ability of Hilux
Turbanator is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 00:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
In a statement, the Army said: “We are happy to receive the first fleet of Toyota Hilux, which measures up to the requirements of the Indian Army. We acknowledge TKM’s support to customise the Hilux, passing through our stringent road tests with its strong off-roading strengths and extreme performance under stringent weather, difficult terrain conditions, which is key to our requirements. We look forward to utilising this fleet of Hilux for the purposes meant.”
Not sure if this is a publicity stunt by TKM, after the price cut fiasco. The Hilux is in dire need of a sales boost, and in comes this news.

The Safaris & Scorpios which have been delivered to the Army previously have been all in green, with utilitarian steel wheels and other modifications. These however look like showroom spec Hiluxes in civilian colours.
Geo_Ipe is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 01:23   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

When Indian army showed interest on the Jimny, this is what I replied on that thread-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5485371 (Rumour: Indian Army could replace Gypsy with the Jimny)

Though I hope, later Indian army adds the Jimny too in their fleet! On the narrow snow covered hill roads the petrol Jimny will be quite nifty!

Regarding the Hilux-

Barring the longer turning radius Hilux has everything else in it's favor. This definitely is an excellent choice.

5 people can seat with loads of luggage space.
Tried and test 4x4 capability.
Bullet proof reliability.
Can be driven fast when necessary.
Abuse friendly.
Easy to maintain.

Last edited by Samba : 20th July 2023 at 01:34.
Samba is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 10:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Will the Army get that Rs10 lacs discount running on Toyota Hilux?
Or is it that Toyota dismissed the large discount because they are in a process of selling 100s of Hilux to the Army?

On a serious note, can anyone outline a few points regarding the utility of Toyota Hilux vs Isuzu D-Max V-Cross in rough terrains over extended period of time?

There is an Isuzu V-Cross in my neighbourhood with matt finish, raised GC and a military camouflage net. Looks badass and I have always beileved that Isuzu also makes reliable pick up trucks.
PaddleShifter is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 11:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Not sure if this is a publicity stunt by TKM, after the price cut fiasco. The Hilux is in dire need of a sales boost, and in comes this news.

The Safaris & Scorpios which have been delivered to the Army previously have been all in green, with utilitarian steel wheels and other modifications. These however look like showroom spec Hiluxes in civilian colours.
Sir, I highly doubt it is a publicity stunt. Advertisement for Toyota? Sure. It helps. But it can't be a mere publicity stunt when it comes to matters of defense forces. The Tri Services have always tried and tested various permutations and combinations of vehicles across all vehicle segments. With proven reliability and sheer indestructibility, it almost makes immediate sense as to why the armed forces found it fit for use. I agree with your observation on the trim and Alloy wheels, but even the Tata GS800 had Alloy Wheels
aveoman19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 12:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Shameful that Indian brands couldn't reverse-engineer the Hilux truck inspite of all the market advantages that the Govt has afforded them (Ex. blocking GVM from entering India & MG from bringing in more capital) causing car prices to grow sky high. Mahindra & Tata are both busy in promoting themselves based on gender-equality narratives, while Toyota will simply create, manufacture & sell a well designed & well made product.
Eh, the Indian army does use Scorpios, Safaris and Boleros. What's the point of reverse-engineering this overpriced pick-up truck if the other Indian vehicles can fulfil the army's requirements at a much lower cost.
kadanaJ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 12:23   #14
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

At least this will be reliable. My cousin's unit has 10 Safaris and 7 are always in the workshop for some or the other reason.
Everyone in that unit has started picking the Gypsy because that. There are in a remote region and cannot afford to have breakdowns.

OT:
Quote:
Mahindra & Tata are both busy in promoting themselves based on gender-equality narratives
That's how everything sells these days. That's how AAA games coming out of western studios suck at being games but lauded by politically correct "fake" gamers. If there's an advertisement that belittles men or mocks them, then it's hot stuff.
vredesbyrd is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 14:36   #15
PGA
BHPian

Size of the order is not mentioned anywhere in the news. I am not sure Army will be able to place fleet size order for Hilux, for its going to be way too expensive in relation to alternatives, and Govt goes by L1. Secondly what existing vehicle is it going to replace, Safari/Scorpio replaced Ambassadors ie the field staff car. Gypsy replaced Willy's. Hilux in all likelihood will come in small numbers for some special tasks.

Its certainly a win for TKMs marketing team and Hilux's enigma.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks