Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 14:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

ARKA, VINOD, 4X4 - Any knowledge about the Major Price break up in your towns, Last time i Checked in India Garage St.Marks Road bangalore, they looked at me like some kind of a Jean's wearing Farmer - Hated their customer handling skills. With great effort I learnt its some where near 5L oTR.

invader is too expensive over the major - 1L approx and too few on the road and surely lack's the charecter of a CJ Derived Major.

----Guys looking for some techinfo about this major and its cousins---

DPC Motors Pvt. Ltd. - Authorised Dealer for MAHINDRA & MAHINDRA Vehicles look into products
DPC Motors Pvt. Ltd. - Authorised Dealer for MAHINDRA & MAHINDRA Vehicles
Mahindra CDR650 - Silver Jubilee Motors - Authorised dealers for Mahindra & Mahindra's vehicles in Maharashtra. INDIA
Mahindra INVADER - Silver Jubilee Motors - Authorised dealers for Mahindra & Mahindra's vehicles in Maharashtra. INDIA
Mahindra CL 500 - Silver Jubilee Motors - Authorised dealers for Mahindra & Mahindra's vehicles in Maharashtra. INDIA
Details of Mahindra CL 500 4WD ST
KS GROUP,Jaipur,India,Automobile Dealer,Sales,Services,Ford,Mahindra,TVS,Tafe,Cars, Jeeps,Ambulance,Tractors,Mobikes,Mopeds,Motorcycle s search under products

---------

sadly none of them have real information about Major.! Anyone owns a major in tBHP? got a brochure? Please scan and load it here.
Old 3rd April 2008, 14:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hi Alfa, thanks for the tech info on why a regular jeep much OK than invader. 2nd hand + restoration, sorry, I am too less experienced to risk it. But once i become a jeeper I may try it.

4X4, you spoke about the Gurkha 4X4, i was confusing it with Judo in my brains, I have heard about it and also had a video of it. Amazing car, much like a indian Hummvee. Any idea how much it costs, and where to buy it?

Vinod,
True about the 100+ point, Many a time they have given me the scares on highway between madikeri and mysore, REAL fast and good torque I must say!

Last edited by svsantosh : 3rd April 2008 at 14:41.
Old 3rd April 2008, 14:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Ngcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
Avoid the Bolero Invader 4x4. The problem with the Bolero 4x4 is that a rigid axle has been lashed onto a vehicle with a front end designed for an independent suspension. There is barely 50mm of clearance between the axle and the bumpstop. The front end runs out of suspension travel too soon and it offers a fraction the axle articulation of CJ/MM jeeps off-road.
M&M Offers vehicles (Bolero & Scorpio) in 2WD & 4WD with different Chassis as the
1) Bolero Series -- 2WD is IFS with Coil Spring & 4WD is Solid Live Axle with leaf spring

2) Scorpio Series -- 2WD is IFS with Coil Spring & 4WD is IFS with Torsion Bar.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Vinod hope I have not missed out anything.
Old 3rd April 2008, 16:59   #19
Team-BHP Support

Looking at an old post by Arka here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post337415

Arka, you said the current Major (turbo) is not as good off-roader as the earlier non-turbo version. Is that only because of the turbo-lag and peak-torque at higher rpms?

In that case CL500 is a better option as an off-roader, isn't it?

DPC Motors Pvt. Ltd. - Authorised Dealer for MAHINDRA & MAHINDRA Vehicles

It is a SWB too. BYW, what is difference between CL500 and CL550?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
4X4, you spoke about the Gurkha 4X4, i was confusing it with Judo in my brains, I have heard about it and also had a video of it. Amazing car, much like a indian Hummvee. Any idea how much it costs, and where to buy it?
Learn all about it here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-road-too.html

Last edited by Samurai : 3rd April 2008 at 17:09.
Old 3rd April 2008, 17:36   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Gurkha 4x4 also available in Soft Top

svsantosh:

The Gurkha 4x4 is also available as soft top. But as I said earlier it is about 8 lakhs the road in Karnataka. But it is an extremely capable off-road vehicle.
Old 3rd April 2008, 18:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Outsource it to the Hyderabad Jeepwallahs!! There is a thread on the restoration done to some Jeeps in Hydeabad, which can put a new jeep to shame.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...hyderabad.html

Last edited by smsrini : 3rd April 2008 at 18:14.
Old 3rd April 2008, 18:57   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

The specifications in all the links to the Major above say that it has the 4 Speed Transmission. I guess the Five speed NGT20 is a recent upgrade.
Old 3rd April 2008, 19:05   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The irony is that Mahindra does not make the perfect Jeep for 5 lakhs anymore. Actually, they don’t make a perfect Jeep for any price. What a world of difference it would make to have the Classic on sale again (actually this makes my Jeep all the more rare, so I shouldn’t complain ) or even the MM550!

I am going against the tide here, but I am not going to recommend a Major to a fellow Jeep enthusiast. Its just not....a classic Jeep, neither does it have the soul of one. That’s just my opinion and you may think otherwise.

You know what I'd really suggest: Get a used Classic / MM540 / 550. Come on, sport. You have our support in advice, part sourcing, recommended garages and technicalities. What’s the risk?

1. Get a Classic / MM540. These Jeeps look the best, off-road the best and have incredibly simple mechanicals. They will keep you happiest.

2. Rework the engine, or if worn out, get a brand new diesel from Mahindra. I have recently sourced a peti-pack XD3P 2.5 diesel from Mahindra (Thanks Dhabhar Behram!). Arka, Headers and Nitrous have really gone out of their way in helping me get my Classic back on the road (Thanks guys!).

3. Overhaul the entire suspension. Costs peanuts. I don’t remember the exact amount, but the last time I overhauled my Classic suspension, the bill was less than 7 grand. And that’s from an authorized Mahindra workshop.

4. Paint job / Body work: Simple Jeep = Simple job.

5. Miscellany: The electricals, steering and braking system may also require some work. But again, it will be a relatively simple & inexpensive job.

6. Spice it up the way you like. Alloys, all-terrain rubber, even an air-con / music system as I have done in mine.

My Jeep is currently undergoing a rebuild, and I can tell you that the experience is just fantastic. At the end of the day, you will end up with the perfect Jeep, and one that cost you lesser than a brand new Major.

A Jeep is special. Forget “poo pooing” 5 lakh rupee hatchbacks, I prefer the Classic over my C220!! There is intrinsic value in the heritage, image, capability, simplicity, ruggedness and practicality of a Jeep.

Go for it.
Old 3rd April 2008, 19:20   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am going against the tide here, but I am not going to recommend a Major to a fellow Jeep enthusiast. Its just not....a classic Jeep, neither does it have the soul of one. That’s just my opinion and you may think otherwise.
Amen GTO. I wouldn't call the Major a jeep either, unless Mahindra lopped of a foot and half from the chasis !!

But given the choices for some one who wants a new vehicle, nothing much else is available.

Were you able to source a new XD3 engine? I wish I could get my hands on the Turbo XD3 engine they sell in south african market.
Old 3rd April 2008, 19:29   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
But given the choices for some one who wants a new vehicle, nothing much else is available.
If brand new is a must-have on the list, I'd suggest the good ol' Gypsy.

Quote:
Were you able to source a new XD3 engine? I wish I could get my hands on the Turbo XD3 engine they sell in south african market.
Yup, brand new indeed. Here is a picture of it next to the 1.8 petrol which was just removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Major 4x4 Edit:Now Discontinued-1.jpg  

Old 3rd April 2008, 19:35   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Sweet pic. If I was there, I'd give that engine a hug now. Is it the Turbo version?? I am wondering what the fitment on the right of the engine is. How much does a new one cost??

BTW, you may want to also consider sourcing a NGT30 5 Speed Transmission and a Borg Warner Mechanical TCase. Mahindra dealer told me, it is about 80K. This was the set up in the Bolero 4x4, except the Bolero has the electric transfer case. Not sure if you will have any issues fitting the transmission on the shorter chasis.

Imgaine a classic with the XD3 and a 5 Speed. That'll be one awsome vehicle.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 3rd April 2008 at 19:36.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2008, 19:48   #27
BANNED

Someone i know got a Mahindra Major 4WD with the turbo engine. Pics below:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Major 4x4 Edit:Now Discontinued-mahindra-major-1.jpg  

Mahindra Major 4x4 Edit:Now Discontinued-mahindra-major-2.jpg  

Mahindra Major 4x4 Edit:Now Discontinued-mahindra-major-3.jpg  

Mahindra Major 4x4 Edit:Now Discontinued-mahindra-major-4.jpg  

Mahindra Major 4x4 Edit:Now Discontinued-mahindra-major-5.jpg  

Old 3rd April 2008, 20:00   #28
BANNED

I own a Classic myself and have done my share of offroading in her. But calling her the best or the last of the breed is well not really true. It has some shortcomings and the biggest is not enough power, i have been stuck real bad a coupe of times. Its simple yes, easy to maintain yes, but the ultimate? not quite so if you really do compare it to other alternatives. Dont get price and other factors into the picture. When the Classic was on sale what was the price of the MM540? i dont know.

Trying to get a used Classic is a big pain with owners quoting absurd prices for a vehicle more then 5 years old, with some of the spares(cosmetic) not "easily" available. I think the Classic has been glorified too much in the market and are more sought out for posing and adding big tyres and attracting the chicks. No real offroaders in those Classic owners. Again not all but most of them.

The Major "looks" quite capable, i havent driven one yet but did get to have a look at one parked at DPC Motors in Goa. It was for a customer so didnt take a test drive even though the guys insisted i take her for a spin.

For less then 5 lakhs OTR in Goa, i thought its the perfect tool for all enthusiasts. With a service and fresh out of the factory deal giving a lot of peace of mind i think its well worth it.

I wouldnt trash it yet, will get a drive soon and then would be better placed to give a proper review.

Last edited by Spitfire : 3rd April 2008 at 20:03.
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

For less then 5 lakhs OTR in Goa, i thought its the perfect tool for all enthusiasts. With a service and fresh out of the factory deal giving a lot of peace of mind i think its well worth it.
obviously new vehicle gives you lots and lots of peace of mind.

Thanks a lot for the wonderful pics.

Can you please confirm the specs too i.e. 5 speed thing etc.

and we will be waiting for the review
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:39   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
2. Rework the engine, or if worn out, get a brand new diesel from Mahindra. I have recently sourced a peti-pack XD3P 2.5 diesel from Mahindra (Thanks Dhabhar Behram!).
Exactly how long did it take to get it? It is easily available upon order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
In 1999? Mahindra introduced the MDI3200 (2650cc, 59BHP 15.5Kgm@1400rpm) aka B575 engine on the CJ500D and called it the CL500 & CL550.

The engine is extremely troquey and is able to give better Road Speeds.

Off-The-Road this JEEP is extremely capable.

In 2004 the MDI 3200TC (2650cc, 68BHP 18Kgm@2000rpm) was intoduced on the CL500 know as the Mahindra MAJOR post 2000?.

This engine is the Bolero DI-Turbo engine, has better torque and BHP than the B275 or B575 but the turbo lag is pronounced and the JEEP is not as capable Off-The-Road.

From my experience with the above JEEPs - Off-Road Capability
1) CJ3B/CJ4A
2) CL500/CL550 Mahindra MAJOR (Non turbo)
3) CJ500D
4) Mahindra Major (Turbo)
Based on this CL500 is the best of the bunch still selling, it is a very capable SWB off-roader and has the classic looks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks